Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2017 1:03:46 PM EDT
I am still waiting on my backordered PVS14 and helmet.  In the meantime, my NightCap has arrived.  I tried it with my HD19A thermal monocular and it seemed pretty comfortable on a 30 minute pedestrian walk, although the counterweight is something I still need to address.  My buddy hates his Ops Core helmet for hog hunting in Texas.  It's hot and not that comfortable.

Should I just forgo the helmet and use the NightCap?  Use case is Texas hog hunting, which is mainly just walking around in the open.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Helmets are more bulky and less comfortable. I still use them because I actually bonk my head and I make use of the accessory rails. If you are casually observing then you have the time to get bored and be annoyed by the discomfort of a helmet. I find that I don't notice the discomfort much while I'm busy doing something. If comfort is your primary concern then you are probably well-served by the Night Cap.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with the night cap but I'm underwhelmed with it. I'm far from an expert on the bits and peices of the mount and j arm but the whole set up just about puts the scope into my eyeball with no further adjustment.  God forbid if I also wanted to wear my eyeglasses.    One of these days I will switch to a helmet for more Stand off.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I got one a couple weeks ago. I love it, rigged some decoy strap weights to the rear adjustment strap with zip ties and ranger bands instead of the higher set Velcro.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went with the night cap but I'm underwhelmed with it. I'm far from an expert on the bits and peices of the mount and j arm but the whole set up just about puts the scope into my eyeball with no further adjustment.  God forbid if I also wanted to wear my eyeglasses.    One of these days I will switch to a helmet for more Stand off.
View Quote

What mount as you using? A better mount will improve standoff.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a night cap most of the year. I do wear a helmet in the winter months to keep melon warm. Night cap works fine for me. As Vic suggested I also use a counter weight for maximum comfort with the night cap.

The night cap is not perfect. It does work well and is reasonably comfortable considering the cost. I like mine.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I used helmets for 7+ years, then bought a Night Cap in 2014.  About a year later I realized I hadn't used my helmets really at all since getting the Night Cap so I sold them off.  I do not miss them in any way, I love the Crye Night Cap and wish it had been released many years earlier.  I use an EOG low profile short counterweight, Wilcox shroud, Rhino 2 mount, Wilcox lanyard, and Princeton Tec switch light with it.  I added a small bit of additional padding under the forehead piece but, other than that, I have no idea where I would improve it.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#8]
night cap rules. blows away that skull crusher thing
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top