Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2017 4:33:00 AM EDT
I am looking to buy a set of NVG's for work using my own money.

I am trying not to break the bank but I also am not looking for junk.

I'm not expecting an ANVIS set like I used when active but, I could really use something for semi-urban/country environment.

thnx!
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:58:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Make that $300
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:06:44 AM EDT
[#2]
$300????   GTFO.  You can't be serious.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:16:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, it's not like I've never heard of someone getting a deal like that, but secondhand, anything useful typically starts around the $2000 mark - so $300 is a little bit low.

You'll see Gen1 available at that kind of price - it's junk. Might as well get a toilet roll tube and stick green cellophane over one end. It will seem good until it gets truly dark, and then you will see more without it.

What you need is Gen3. If budget is that tight, anything will do - if you're not in a hurry, maybe something old like a PVS-7 or ENVIS will show up - Sometimes they go somewhere between $1000 and $2000.

But generally, you won't even find Gen2 for under $1000. Though if you do, and it's good Gen2, it can be worth getting. 
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#4]
One of those 800 lumen surefires.

Otherwise save your $ and get a Gen2+ PVS14 at the absolute minimum.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make that $300
View Quote

Never gonna happen. Put another 0 at the end and you have something to work with.

Just buy a flashlight.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#6]
$200? Carrots.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One of those 800 lumen surefires.Otherwise save your $ and get a Gen2+ PVS14 at the absolute minimum.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
$200? Carrots.
View Quote
bahahahaha.  Actual LOL
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Not trying to sound snarky but I see a lot of people asking around about purchasing NODs...why do civilians need them? Hunting?

Don't care one way or another what people spend their money on. Genuinely curious.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
$200? Carrots.
View Quote
If you want something in I2 construction that is effective as a tool then you will not find anything useful in your price range. Combat Jack might be a bit of a smartass but he does make a good point: Depending on your physiology, you may be better served by improving your natural vision with diet (and avoiding nicotine if applicable).

Gen 1 gear, though not effective as an actual tool, can be used as a training aid to build skills that can be utilized with better gear. IMO that's its only real use.

The suggestion regarding the high quality flashlight, though practical, probably fails your application due to its overt nature.

As retrograde as it sounds, you may be well served by a high quality optical device. Cheap optical devices eat available light and are a losing proposition - well made optics collect a lot of light at the objective lens and lose very little through the lens train. I have binoculars from Steiner and Fujinon that see into shadows at night that I am unable to penetrate with my unaided eyes. If you want a functional, covert tool for seeing better at night then this is probably the best you will do within your price range.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not trying to sound snarky but I see a lot of people asking around about purchasing NODs...why do civilians need them? Hunting?

Don't care one way or another what people spend their money on. Genuinely curious.
View Quote

FUDD thinking,

After all, why does a "civilian" "need" an AR? Why does someone "need" a sports car?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
To the OP...As others have stated +1.  We always tell our customers to always save for a Gen 3 if they can, you will NEVER be disappointment. Gen 2 at the absolute minimum.   We lost count of the number of folks like yourself who spend $200-$800 on a "cheap" NV system, only to realize they should have put that money away in the first place because how unsatisfied they were.  Then they decide to get a Gen 2+ or Gen 3 and they have to start all over again.  

Edit, shameless plug, we also have a VERY Pro-Gun bank and have setup a very seamless and easy finance program for gear. Many put money down and pay as you go.  Hope this helps and another option.
View Quote

Count me as one if those people who dropped $600 on something that is almost useless. Almost.

OP. I just made s thread about this. It's like the five stages of coping with loss lol.

First you convince yourself gen 1 will be fine for your needs.

Then you get it and realize you need an illuminator even with a full moon and the best conditions.

But you convince yourself it'll still be fine even though deep down you know better.

Then you come clean with yourself and admit it basically sucks.

Then you lose money selling it.

They key is not to be a dope andcrepeat the same mistake with gen 2.

You'll go to YouTube or see pics and you'll say, "but it looks like gen 3". That's due to perfect conditions.

Just get financed with TNVC or watch EE for a good set of PVS-7's.

Trust me. I'm the king of trying to get the best bang for you buck and it just doesn't happen with NV. at least not like most other stuff.

Oh. And when you do buy one get an insurance rider for it. Make sure it's covered.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
... for the same reasons we might need firearms or even automobiles. We could rely on the State for all of our needs but many of us prefer to make maximum use of our abilities, including making use of technologies that enhance our natural capabilities. I'm sure I could find someone that objected to facets of your lifestyle - they would question what "need" you have for nearly anything you might find useful. Many of the members of this forum are of an independent bent. They might be more efficiently served by having others cater to them but they prefer to do things on their own and I2 is a tool that helps facilitate that proclivity.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I own several that are used solely for astronomy, night kayaking, and critter watching. I don't hunt with mine but I would guess that is the primary purpose for most civilian NODs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bingo! We have a winner!
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I own several that are used solely for astronomy, night kayaking, and critter watching. I don't hunt with mine but I would guess that is the primary purpose for most civilian NODs.
View Quote

I see now.

Like I said, I don't care what someone wants to spend their money on and have no objection to people owning NODs. Just curious what the reasoning was.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#19]
A really nice flashlight can be had for $200.

And you will be able to see at night.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I appreciate all the replies, including the smartass ones....carrots if steamed or in a stew is my usual preference!

I am looking for these to watch/catch dope dealers from distances of 100-200 yards away, sometimes a little farther.

I will check out TNVC's suggestions. I used nvg's extensively while active duty but didn't geek out on them, left that to the AVI guys.

Thnx all.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:14:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I appreciate all the replies, including the smartass ones....carrots if steamed or in a stew is my usual preference!

I am looking for these to watch/catch dope dealers from distances of 100-200 yards away, sometimes a little farther.

I will check out TNVC's suggestions. I used nvg's extensively while active duty but didn't geek out on them, left that to the AVI guys.

Thnx all.
View Quote

Good choice.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Every body welcome Riddick to the forum! Pleas, tell us about your chronicles!  

Same reason people use flashlights.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thnx all.
View Quote
If you are intending to intercept dirtbags then $300 does not even begin a conversation. I spend time in proximity with dirtbags and they are not to be underestimated. Some of them have MANY years under their belt where the entire focus of their life has been to master the arts of escape, evasion, deception, maneuver and fighting. Many of them run capable I2 gear. Sure, some of them are pushovers - don't count on that being a given circumstance.

Invest the $300 in solidly environmentally altering white lights if that is all you can budget. It won't be covert but it will work.

Adventure Sports makes a 2500+ lumen beast that will dominate a small area of the deep dark. If you can't go covert then overwhelm them with overt.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#24]
This seems to be a popular options from some cops I know.

Fenix 4000 lumen light
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Hold on a minute ! I got a practically brand new 3X digi scope I will let go for one fiddy.

Works good with IR light !  It is my toy for playing around with. On second thought I don't want to sell ! I like my little digi scope.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 10:14:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have the because I want them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds a little bit snarky.

Hunting, camping, star gazing. Being free. Do not see the point in using excess income on a brodozer. Which is 1000x more common.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Every body welcome Riddick to the forum! Pleas, tell us about your chronicles!  

Same reason people use flashlights.
View Quote

Yes...let the butthurt flow through you.

I tried to make it painfully clear to you guys I was asking an honest question. Glad to see you all lead active and fulfilling lives that necessitate buying your own nods.

Regardless, using them to catch bad guys is a great fucking reason.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes...let the butthurt flow through you.

I tried to make it painfully clear to you guys I was asking an honest question. Glad to see you all lead active and fulfilling lives that necessitate buying your own nods.

Regardless, using them to catch bad guys is a great fucking reason.
View Quote

You have to understand, typically we get tired of justifying our rights.

Especially to questions that even a little bit of thought can be answered on ones own.

At least I think so. When I first learned there was a device that would allow me to see in the dark I didn't immediately wonder why such a device was needed. I instantly thought of how much easier it would make certain tasks in addition to how cool it would be.

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but questions that are a variation of "why do you need x" typically come from grabbers. People we tend not to agree with around here.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Guys.  I'm starting to think Jkbulldog is a troll. He just went after me in the "my setup don't laugh" thread in the tactical gear subforum.

A bunch of guys who I know to be informed said I'm doing fine and he said I am a mall cop wanna be.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#32]
ATN X-SIGHT II HD 5-20x
DAY & NIGHT RIFLE SCOPE

What is this guy? Any info?

Of course the website has perfect NV/IR pics....
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
ATN X-SIGHT II HD 5-20x
DAY & NIGHT RIFLE SCOPE

What is this guy? Any info?

Of course the website has perfect NV/IR pics....
View Quote
Enter the phrase "ATN fake night vision photos" into your favorite web browser and be prepared for a treat.

I would not buy anything from anyone that falsifies photos unless I was already independently assured of their quality - even then it's iffy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#35]
No Hope or Joy at that price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top