Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2017 8:29:50 PM EDT
Looking to get my first true NV set. I've got a x sight 2 and it's just OK. I've been looking at the nyx-7 pro 2+ or white phosphorus. I don't know much about this system and a search didn't turn up much. I'm looking to spend 2k max. It will be used for night hunting. Any insight on this system? Or suggestions on others ones in this price range? Use from 30-200yds

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot of guys seem to dislike both eyes being covered. Unless it's with true dual tubes.

I LOVE my 7's compared to monocle. I really disliked my monocle but it wasn't high quality. If I was constantly kicking doors I could see why a monocle would be better. But the military use to only have 7's and that didn't stop them so it can be done.

You just have to find out for yourself what you prefer. Same with WP vs green

And from what I know gen 2+ is pretty good depending on the tube.

But you can scout EE and get gen three stuff for probably the same or less than the new unit you're looking at.

I'm a noob some I'm sure someone who has forgotten more than I'll ever know (Sot_Solutions or dino or TNVC) will be along to give you more info.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
It is a Russian PVS-7 knockoff and uses a rooskie tube. Not a fan of rooskie tubes. 45 to 51 resolution is so so. For what they cost new you could easily get something used in Gen 3 much better. I would look around.

ETA:  I don't like ATN or most Armasight stuff. It is big box store gear and made for uninformed consumers. Almost everything i own is US milspec gear. Usually it does not cost much more to deal in Milspec gear. The problem with Russian stuff is finding parts and the mounting gear. I just steer clear of that type of gear. You can easily find a nice used US PVS-7 for 1500 bucks. It will beat the snot out of a rooskie Gen 2.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is a Russian PVS-7 knockoff and uses a rooskie tube. Not a fan of rooskie tubes. 45 to 51 resolution is so so. For what they cost new you could easily get something used in Gen 3 much better. I would look around.

ETA:  I don't like ATN or most Armasight stuff. It is big box store gear and made for uninformed consumers. Almost everything i own is US milspec gear. Usually it does not cost much more to deal in Milspec gear. The problem with Russian stuff is finding parts and the mounting gear. I just steer clear of that type of gear. You can easily find a nice used US PVS-7 for 1500 bucks. It will beat the snot out of a rooskie Gen 2.
View Quote

I really appreciate the responses. I think I'm going to look into a used PVS 7 like you said. That seems to be the best route.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#4]
If you need help on a used sale of US milspec gear just post the sale in the forum. Many guys will help
you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:33:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I really appreciate the responses. I think I'm going to look into a used PVS 7 like you said. That seems to be the best route.
View Quote

That's what I got. Gen 3. Auto gated. Thin filmed. $1540 shipped. It's awesome

This is no moon no stars some steer lights far away no illumination and as usual the phone doesn't do it justice and Photobucket trashes the resolution.  It looks blurry in this pic but trust me it's clear as day. I was just outside looking at license plates from a distance and they looked crisp.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's what I got. Gen 3. Auto gated. Thin filmed. $1540 shipped. It's awesome

This is no moon no stars some steer lights far away no illumination and as usual the phone doesn't do it justice and Photobucket trashes the resolution.  It looks blurry in this pic but trust me it's clear as day. I was just outside looking at license plates from a distance and they looked crisp.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s189/jladelfa/E0B80871-7B40-470F-B782-ED93F77D604D_zpseg6gsoyr.jpg
View Quote

Wow that is way better then what I have. I going to do a little more research then probably buy a used one off the EE. How do well do the work with a non illuminated rifle scopes? I have a few acogs and accupoints with the tritium/fiber so believe they it work with those
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:44:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh just a suggestion. If you aren't seeing what you want in EE go to some popular astronomy forums. From what I've been reading over the past few days they are really into NV too and they favor the 7 over the 14 so I'm guessing you'll find some 7's listed there as well. Just a hunch.

Good luck and post pics when you get them. Remember to ask for proof or pics of the tube so you can see the numbers. And if the seller doesn't want to crack it open and ruin the purge (a legit concern) make sure they will take it back if you find out it's not as advertised.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wow that is way better then what I have. I going to do a little more research then probably buy a used one off the EE. How do well do the work with a non illuminated rifle scopes? I have a few acogs and accupoints with the tritium/fiber so believe they it work with those
View Quote

Lol, trust me, prepare to be blown away. I came from a gen one monocle and when I got this I drove around to find a dark area. I figured I'd need my illuminator because of the conditions. But man when I turned it on....I was blown away. Didn't need the illuminator at all.

I just took an AR with a Holosun 503c on it out if the safe. It's a red dot with a circle dot style reticle like the eotech. I turned on the NV setting and it couldn't have looked better with my 7.

Next I pulled out another AR with a PA 1-6 on it. Etched reticle. I didn't turn the illumination on. I could see the reticle but I couldn't get it to focus. It just didn't seem like it would work. A tad dark too. I turned on the lowest illumination setting and it lit up great but it was blurry. Then I figured I'd try the illuminator but as I suspected the light just bounced off the glass

Plus it would be very hard to shoot.  A 14 is in order if you want to use a scope.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I recently bought 2 PVS-7s from ARFCOM member Tech-Com and each was less than your budgeted amount. They both have very clean and bright USA made Gen 3 tubes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1

... except that I would like to add that I have seen significant image distortion on Gen 2 Russian gear in addition to the lower resolution. If it breaks out of warranty, good luck fixing it. The housings tend to be sized by the batch of tubes which vary in dimensions. The first thing you would have to do is find what exact tube you have (you're up to date on your Cyrillic, right?) and the real work is in finding the exact tube - or hoping you can wrap a smaller tube in tape to get it to fit. The Russians are fully capable of building good I2 gear for military use but we don't see much of their good stuff here on the commercial market.

US built Gen 2 gear utilizing European tubes tend to have less image distortion than the Russian gear. The resolution is as good or better than Russian gear. (If you are willing to spend big money there are some premium Gen 2 tubes that rival Gen 3.)

The boat in your avatar makes me think you intend to use the I2 device that you choose out on the open water in the deep dark. If that is the case, then I recommend you go the Gen 3 route. Gen 2 has it's charm in more photon rich areas - Gen 3 will stomp it on open water far from the city lights.

Decent, used Gen 3 gear will probably have more life left in it than Russian Gen 2 will have from the time it leaves the factory. If something goes wrong with milspec US I2 gear then it is repairable.

If you intend to use it for observation only (and pass it around to inexperienced users) then a bi-ocular (single-tube dual-eye) design such as the AN/PVS-7 makes sense. If you wanted a full-fledged multi-purpose device then I prefer a monocular, but monoculars take time and experience to master. Bi-oculars are more plug-and-play. If you ever intend to mount it to your head/helmet then definitely go USGI. The headgear for the Russian gear blows chunks.

The takeaway: Get a used AN/PVS-7B from the EE.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Is that your boat your using as your avatar. I use gen 3 nvgs to drive my boat at night. On tampa bay it is great. Yeah if anything you can great a great used unit from a member here for under 2k and they will beat the hell out of the Russian units. I've bought some great units on EE.

I like dual units or pvs 7 for driving the boat with. Keeps bugs and wind out of my eyes when I stand up past the center console glass.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:06:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is that your boat your using as your avatar. I use gen 3 nvgs to drive my boat at night. On tampa bay it is great. Yeah if anything you can great a great used unit from a member here for under 2k and they will beat the hell out of the Russian units. I've bought some great units on EE.

I like dual units or pvs 7 for driving the boat with. Keeps bugs and wind out of my eyes when I stand up past the center console glass.
View Quote

Yea it's mine, the boat has FLIR so I doubt I'll use it on there. But I intend on using the nv unit to hog hunt at night. Now that I'm looking I think I'll pickup a used pvs14 monocular. I hear that it works way better looking through scopes. And man you guys have some kill info!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yea it's mine, the boat has FLIR so I doubt I'll use it on there. But I intend on using the nv unit to hog hunt at night. Now that I'm looking I think I'll pickup a used pvs14 monocular. I hear that it works way better looking through scopes. And man you guys have some kill info!!
View Quote

If hog hunting is in queue then Gen 3 is really in order. Gen 2 has its charm but Gen 3 will definitely outperform all but the latest Gen 2 Supertubes (read expensive) when you are out in the deep dark.

The PVS-14 is definitely the more versatile of the two NVDs in question, but not necessarily for the reason you state. Though the PVS-14 can be pressed into passive service behind an NV compatible sight, fast follow-up shots call for an IR laser in conjunction with the NVD. IMO bi-oculars such as the PVS-7 are best suited to static observation. If you plan to do anything else with the NVD then a good monocular is in order. Details on why we tend to prefer the monoculars are a little outside the scope of this thread title but can be found in many recent threads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top