Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 1:03:51 AM EDT
LaRue for example makes a nice QD mount for the PVS-14, but I dont see anything equivalent for a MUM. Does anyone make a nice QD mount for the MUM or are we resigned to using the stock mount?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
LaRue for example makes a nice QD mount for the PVS-14, but I dont see anything equivalent for a MUM. Does anyone make a nice QD mount for the MUM or are we resigned to using the stock mount?
View Quote

I don't really have anything constructive to say but, since you aren't getting much feedback anyways, I can at least contribute some opinion.

If all someone needs is a basic MNVD for head-mounted use then the argument can be made that the MUM is superior to the PVS-14 in some circumstances. That having been said, if you want a well rounded, multi-purpose MNVD and you need to use a lot of application specific accessories then you are better served with a PVS-14. Trying to grow the MUM into the role of the PVS-14 will be labor and time intensive. It is a good MNVD and I would use it as such. If I needed more from it then I would change to a different model.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't really have anything constructive to say but, since you aren't getting much feedback anyways, I can at least contribute some opinion.

If all someone needs is a basic MNVD for head-mounted use then the argument can be made that the MUM is superior to the PVS-14 in some circumstances. That having been said, if you want a well rounded, multi-purpose MNVD and you need to use a lot of application specific accessories then you are better served with a PVS-14. Trying to grow the MUM into the role of the PVS-14 will be labor and time intensive. It is a good MNVD and I would use it as such. If I needed more from it then I would change to a different model.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

MUM14 is great for this usage (dependent on the tube's ability to handle recoil), as its dual rail system means you could have leave the Weapons mount on the MUM and attach the JArm to the other rail. Easy to switch back and forth.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]
TAM-14 mounts work well with the MUM.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

MUM14 is great for this usage (dependent on the tube's ability to handle recoil), as its dual rail system means you could have leave the Weapons mount on the MUM and attach the JArm to the other rail. Easy to switch back and forth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LaRue for example makes a nice QD mount for the PVS-14, but I dont see anything equivalent for a MUM. Does anyone make a nice QD mount for the MUM or are we resigned to using the stock mount ?

Granted, but it sounds like the OP has a predilection against the stock mount (probably due to bulk or weight, I would guess). Maybe you hit the nail on the head and the OP overlooked this.

OP?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Granted, but it sounds like the OP has a predilection against the stock mount (probably due to bulk or weight, I would guess). Maybe you hit the nail on the head and the OP overlooked this.

OP?
View Quote

The weight and my preference for head mounting is why I don't do it. Maybe his reasoning is that a weapons mount cost a @!#% load less than an IR laser?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The weight and my preference for head mounting is why I don't do it. Maybe his reasoning is that a weapons mount cost a @!#% load less than an IR laser?
View Quote

Whatever the OP's reasoning is, I'd like to add my two cents worth on this tangent:

If you intend to use the MNVD in conjunction with a weapon system then I recommend that you master both active (laser) and passive (weapon-mounted) use. I am of the minority that does not prefer the one use over the other for all circumstances. When you need to shoot fast, nothing beats a laser. When you need to shoot precisely, then nothing beats weapon-mounted.

If the OP cannot afford an IR laser for his system, then I recommend he obtain an economical visible laser so he can build his skills between now and the time that he can afford one.

For clarification: Is it blasphemy or heresy for me to recommend a visible laser for MNVD training?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess to clarify my position a bit....

I have a MUM with the stock weapon mount and head mount. I have a NV compatible optic on the rifle, but no IR laser. So in the short term a weapon mounted MUM is my only option. I'm looking hard at a IR laser though and hope to get one at some point (The prices are a bit of a turn off). 

More than saying that I need a QD mount I'm just seeing whats out there. The stock weapon mount works fine, but if I could find a better mount I might decide to get it. Also having different mounting options would be nice to adjust the height above rail to keep the MUM in line with other optics. I currently use an EOTech, but have thought of switching to an Aimpoint. 

Just trying to get familiar with whats available for options more than anything. The IR laser will probably be next up on the list after I finish my Grendel builds. 
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also having different mounting options would be nice to adjust the height above rail to keep the MUM in line with other optics. I currently use an EOTech, but have thought of switching to an Aimpoint. 
View Quote

You won't necessarily change height-over-bore if you swap from EOTech to Aimpoint.

For what it's worth, I prefer the EOTech over the Aimpoints if I am running in front of the MNVD for passive use. For standard red-dot use they are neck and neck for me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I guess to clarify my position a bit....

I have a MUM with the stock weapon mount and head mount. I have a NV compatible optic on the rifle, but no IR laser. So in the short term a weapon mounted MUM is my only option. I'm looking hard at a IR laser though and hope to get one at some point (The prices are a bit of a turn off). 

More than saying that I need a QD mount I'm just seeing whats out there. The stock weapon mount works fine, but if I could find a better mount I might decide to get it. Also having different mounting options would be nice to adjust the height above rail to keep the MUM in line with other optics. I currently use an EOTech, but have thought of switching to an Aimpoint. 

Just trying to get familiar with whats available for options more than anything. The IR laser will probably be next up on the list after I finish my Grendel builds. 
View Quote

Keep a close eye on the EE for a laser. Ed Avila was selling 2 CQBLs for $650 ea. That's a steal.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Keep a close eye on the EE for a laser. Ed Avila was selling 2 CQBLs for $650 ea. That's a steal.
View Quote
I have been! I've too much cash tied up elsewhere at the moment...ie....Precision grendel build and scuba lessons at the moment. 

I did see the Vital that was up, I kept an eye on that one but the sale was closed sadly. I think variable power would be the cats meow for an IR laser.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have been! I've too much cash tied up elsewhere at the moment...ie....Precision grendel build and scuba lessons at the moment. 

I did see the Vital that was up, I kept an eye on that one but the sale was closed sadly. I think variable power would be the cats meow for an IR laser.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM the seller if it wasn't closed as "sold", they might still sell it to you.

I have a VITAL and it's nice (aside from the lack of slaved Vis/IR).
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top