Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/16/2017 7:48:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:26:14 PM EDT
[#1]
ballpark price? mountable?  images farther away than 30yds?

your post is like going trick or treating and getting an empty wrapper with the promise of better if i step inside.....
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:36:41 AM EDT
[#3]
id rather see the XQ model since 640 cores are pretty useless when paired up with small lenses.

Can you show any videos of the XQ50?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I was considering the Helion XP28 since I want a wide FOV for scanning. Is there some flaw to that thinking?

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Hey ya Zero, I think this 38mm lens isn't too shabby at approx. 1.9x native magnification.
View Quote

Its not really 1.9x though. The Trail has 1.6x with a 50mm lens so you can be sure there is some trickery going on in the eye piece which doesnt increase performance.

The XQ50 with the 384x288 core will have a genuine 2.7x(4.1x) it will be cheaper and offer better detection range than XP38.

640 cores make nice youtube videos but in reality offer no benefits for hunting other than an option of higher FOV and a big financial cost.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:17:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Would have liked to see more focus on the thermal signatures that were close to the horizon in that video.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#11]
im rocking the XD38 which i picked up second hand. i can spot animals hundreds of yards away. its surprising just how effective even a cheap model can be. Black hot seems to be the one to use. I then use the Gen 3 to pick it up and wait for the animal to come in to range.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#13]
^^Phenomenal.  That scope is going to be awesome.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey thanks for posting this Tom!

Did I hear you say 8 different color palettes around the 6:07-6:10 mark!?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes you did, but unfortunately I miss spoke. The Helion has 8 different color palettes. The Trail is white hot/black hot only. It does have 10 different reticles with an array of color combos. My apologies!
View Quote
Ok, so the display is at least color? Meaning we can hold out hope that if we bug Pulsar enough color palettes could come out in the future?

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes you did, but unfortunately I miss spoke. The Helion has 8 different color palettes. The Trail is white hot/black hot only. It does have 10 different reticles with an array of color combos. My apologies!
View Quote
Thats what I was thinking. No worries! Got my ears to stand up though Thanks again for putting that video together.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#19]
double post
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I've been watching the new gear starting to hit the market testers and the Pulsar and new FLIR offerings look great this year. The trail scopes  look pretty awesome I like the size,weight and features they offer. After using the Reap-IR several nights a week for almost a year my older/heavier 2-3lb thermal scopes feel like beast on my rifles. I've  become spoiled to the lite weight and compact size it's hard to see myself buying a 2.5-3lb thermal scope ever again.

On the Trail how fast is the start up time that's a very important feature to me? To be honest my Reap-IR is really slow it's the one thing I dislike about the Reap like 10 seconds plus to power up and get a shot off. My Armasight Zeus 640 is twice as fast to power up and shoot which I really like

The 16 degree FOV is a plus for me we don't have a lot of wide open areas where we hunt lots of woods,brushy areas and a few smaller fields mixed in maybe 2-4 hundred yards across on average. I use the Reaper IR 12 degree FOV / IR Patrol monocular  22 degree FOV as a pair nightly and often I find the IR Patrol FOV better suited for my use in tight quarters. Plus with 640 core you get a good wide FOV up close shooting and then can zoom to 2X and still have a clearer image. It's like having a short and mid range scope in one unit.  

With my old 320 core 3X scope up close I feel like I was looking through a straw FOV wise. It was great at longer ranges though so it's good to have choices not everyone has the same needs lens wise. The Trail 384 2X would be about perfect for me as I've found the 2X mag to be a good starting point for my use scope wise.

The rechargeable battery setup on the Trail scope is designed perfect also. Fits like part of the scope very nice look and no extra wires hanging around. The ability to change in field (unlike my old flir Rs/Scout systems) or even use a 123A pack if you perfer. I just ordered bulk 400 123A's this week my thermals eat them like candy it gets expensive to say the least.

Thank's for taking the time to post new info on these scopes.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#24]
How do these stack up against something like the REAP-IR or M-300W? I'm completely new to thermal and have between 4-6k i'd like to spend, and there's a ridiculous amount of good options by the look of it. Guessing i'm best off waiting until the 2017 stuff hits the market? Looks like prices are dropping and performance is going up, which is a good combination.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:52:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Can someone explain to me why color palettes are absent on many of these scopes? FLIR and ATN have color on their weapon sights, but IRD, Pulsar (and probably others) do not.

I don't have practical experience in night shooting so I don't know, but I really like the Fusion palette with the stereotypical blue is cold, red is warm and yellow is hot. It just makes sense to me.

Thanks,
-Stooxie
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Can someone explain to me why color palettes are absent on many of these scopes? FLIR and ATN have color on their weapon sights, but IRD, Pulsar (and probably others) do not.

I don't have practical experience in night shooting so I don't know, but I really like the Fusion palette with the stereotypical blue is cold, red is warm and yellow is hot. It just makes sense to me.

Thanks,
-Stooxie
View Quote
This is just my opinion: the color palletes are super-cool for playing around with at home, and almost completely worthless in the field.  There's a reason all the videos you see online from the pros are filmed in either white hot or black hot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This is just my opinion: the color palletes are super-cool for playing around with at home, and almost completely worthless in the field.  There's a reason all the videos you see online from the pros are filmed in either white hot or black hot.
View Quote
Well, one explanation might be that color palettes just aren't available on the devices the pros are using.

I have used a Zeus Pro to find many a down deer and I found the Fusion palette to be perfect. If it's cold outside you'll see a red/yellow carcass sticking out like a sore thumb in amongst a sea of dark blue.

Now, using that for scanning and shooting might be two different things, I am happy to accept that. I'd just like to better understand why that might be aside from "cuz that's what everyone else does."

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I have the xq50 tail coming my way hopefully the third week of April I should have it from my local dealer.

I went with optical magnification over the higher Rez thermal core, my choice was I shoot mainly small game that and the price was a consideration. The prices are a bit more in Aus then in the US, the xq50 is over $5500 and the xp50 is $7500+
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Will do :)
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Just received the Trail XQ50. To be perfectly honest I would compare it to the IR Hunter MkII series of scopes. I'm thoroughly impressed with the clarity. If you compare both scopes at a true 2.7x, the image is nearly identical with the 384 at 2.7x and the MkII IR hunter when optically increased to the same magnification. If you can live with a higher native mag and less FOV (open field hunting), I would highly recommend the 384 trail XQ50. For the price, I don't think anything else on the market compares. Not to mention the features work flawlessly. Onboard recording, the streaming app, everything. It's what ATN tried to do and Pulsar executed perfectly. The internal shutter with the pulsars is also a huge plus.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Does the onboard recording have audio?

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#36]
It does not have audio. And you are only able to send pics, not videos right now. I expect it to be fixed in the next firmware update. It's very easy to check for updates for your device using the app.

ETA: It does not have audio on the model I have now. I believe this will be fixed in the next firmware update. Does anyone else have a trail and the audio recording works for them? I'm using the iOS version of the app on my Iphone.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It does not have audio. And you are only able to send pics, not videos right now. I expect it to be fixed in the next firmware update. It's very easy to check for updates for your device using the app.

ETA: It does not have audio on the model I have now. I believe this will be fixed in the next firmware update. Does anyone else have a trail and the audio recording works for them? I'm using the iOS version of the app on my Iphone.
View Quote
Direct from the mouth of Pulsar: pre-production units did not record audio.  Production units do.

Do you have a pre-production unit?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Direct from the mouth of Pulsar: pre-production units did not record audio.  Production units do.

Do you have a pre-production unit?
View Quote
No I have a production unit. I have confirmation there is a firmware update coming in the next week or so to correct this. I also relayed some other bug feedback direct to Sellmark and they will inform Pulsar to make the software fixes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Do we know if the 640 XPs close to shipping? Helion and Trail?

-Stooxie 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Do we know if the 640 XPs close to shipping? Helion and Trail?

-Stooxie 
View Quote
They are beginning to trickle in. The XQ's shipped first it looks like. I'm told sellmark (distributor) doesn't have a ton of info on what numbers they will get when. Based off my convo with the rep I wouldn't be surprised to see them this month. I don't work for Pulsar or Sellmark so don't take that to the bank. Just the vibe I got from the rep in talking to him about lead times and shipments. They are getting another shipment from Pulsar on the 10th of this month. Helion I'm not sure about as the vast majority of people I talk to want thermal sights over a scanner.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the info!

If the Trail had color palettes like the Helion there would be zero question for me. I like the color palettes, it makes sense to my eye, at least for scanning. So I have to go with a Helion and maybe pick up a Trail later on (or who knows what will be out by then).

Too bad the Trail and Helion can't exchange lenses. That would have gone a long way to create brand stickiness. I do the like being able to share batteries between them. I wish they had an 18650 battery pack, but I think they are too long.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#42]
I haven't had the trail very long but will say the battery pack it comes with is phenomenal and easily lasts 2-4 times longer than CR123s models. Especially 640 core 60 HZ units like the IRD series. The color palettes are usually just a software thing. Who knows maybe Pulsar will release an update in the future to include it. I did like the yellow filter they had on the APEX series. That said, the resolution is so good on these new units that you can see hairs on people at 25-30 yards.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Ugh, I wish... I could get the Trail and hope that would be the case but I can't get confirmation that the display is even capable of color. (Do they even make a B/W OLED screen?)

One of the dealers here with a pre-prod unit told me that he could see no colors at all on the screen, meaning the text, menus, icons, etc.

My scenario is standing in a field, looking at the tree line, needing to spot a down deer that is 10 or 20 yards into the tree line 150 yards away. With my Zeus Pro, in 40 degree weather, I saw lots of purple trees and grass and, lo and behold, just the faintest reddish yellow pixel behind the trees. I walk closer and closer and the red/yellow gets bigger and bigger and sure enough, I find the deer.

That ain't gonna happen with B/W, would it? How would I distinguish that one black or white pixel from the others? I dunno, maybe it does work and I just can't imagine it.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well, one explanation might be that color palettes just aren't available on the devices the pros are using.

I have used a Zeus Pro to find many a down deer and I found the Fusion palette to be perfect. If it's cold outside you'll see a red/yellow carcass sticking out like a sore thumb in amongst a sea of dark blue.

Now, using that for scanning and shooting might be two different things, I am happy to accept that. I'd just like to better understand why that might be aside from "cuz that's what everyone else does."

-Stooxie
View Quote
I agree with the other poster. All of the colors look cool but when it's time to get down to business I only want the information I want as fast as possible. I don't want to remember what a rainbow of colors means. Black and white is fast and sticks out like a sore thumb. Ymmv
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I agree with the other poster. All of the colors look cool but when it's time to get down to business I only want the information I want as fast as possible. I don't want to remember what a rainbow of colors means. Black and white is fast and sticks out like a sore thumb. Ymmv
View Quote
Ok, so in the situation I described, you'd be confident that a white/hot or black/hot palette would reveal the animal equally well?

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ok, so in the situation I described, you'd be confident that a white/hot or black/hot palette would reveal the animal equally well?

-Stooxie
View Quote
Resolution and magnification will trump colors in all cases. The Helion will work just fine. That said I really don't think you'd be at a disadvantage with black/white. White hot finds them well, black hot lets you see a bit more detail in my experience. The XQ50 and XP50 will give you the mag and resolution you need to find your deer at 150 yards without a doubt. At that range you'd probably be able to tell if its a buck or not. In velvet you certainly could. I find thermal finds animals better at night as well. The hot sun tends to "mush" the image and reduce the temp difference between objects. Thermal works by rendering differences in temps.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
To answer some questions.

1-Audio for the Trail and Helion will be a simple software update which Pulsar is still working on.

2-The Trail's have a B&W OLED screen only. Color palettes will not be offered on these models.

3-Black hot/White hot is all you need to find a heat signature. Color palettes are only for user preference. Nothing is lost without color palettes.

4-We have already shipped out a few pre-order XP's to customers. We have customers with pre-orders who are still waiting for another Pulsar shipment.

5-If you want one, get one pre-ordered from us ASAP. That will get you on the list. You won't be charged until the item ships.

6-The new B (Battery) packs are incredible. 8 hours plus continuous use with the standard and 16 hours with the extended B pack. Standard B pack is really all you need. Will last a couple nights if you're using the sleep mode like it's designed to be used.

7-I'll be receiving a Trail XQ38 384x288 tomorrow and will post videos here...
View Quote
Great info thanks. I can take some pics with the XQ50 tonight as well and post for you all. I can try for a short (audio-less) vid as well. One thing I'll say is the image through the screen looks better than the video it records. Not a ton but you can tell a difference. Any pics and videos you see actually look a bit better through the scope. That OLED screen is nice and sharp. I'm curious how the battery will perform in cold weather. That is my only concern with the pack. I may pick up the adapter for 123A batteries as well to keep in my bag as backup.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Resolution and magnification will trump colors in all cases. The Helion will work just fine. That said I really don't think you'd be at a disadvantage with black/white. White hot finds them well, black hot lets you see a bit more detail in my experience. The XQ50 and XP50 will give you the mag and resolution you need to find your deer at 150 yards without a doubt. At that range you'd probably be able to tell if its a buck or not. In velvet you certainly could. I find thermal finds animals better at night as well. The hot sun tends to "mush" the image and reduce the temp difference between objects. Thermal works by rendering differences in temps.
View Quote
I do appreciate your input, thank you!

Just reading your response, I'm not quite sure where some of this is coming from. I understand how thermal works, I had a Zeus Pro for a while. Also, I said I was trying to find a deer that might be 20 yards into a forest (with me 150 yards away in the middle of a field). This isn't me trying to shoot a deer at 150 yards that is standing in the clear. How will a b/w palette look in that situation? Again, with the Fusion palette on the Zeus Pro, the ground and trees all showed up as shades of purple/blue, yet I could still see a tiny spec of reddish yellow through the trees. 

I'm not trying to argue, I'm happy to believe what you're saying, I just want to be sure that you are clear on what I was saying because I can't quite match it up.

-Stooxie
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top