Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2017 10:57:01 AM EDT
I'm looking for a long-ish-range dedicated night rifle optic, and naturally, $700 for something that doesn't require any additional I^2 in front of it makes that easy to justify.

Did the reticle get fixed? Are the battery issues resolved? Did the intensity issues get fixed?

Basically, fo, or no.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, you can go to the ATN Facebook "smart" owners group and read problem after problem. Somebody will be along shortly to tell you how great ATN is. I will just keep my mouth shut.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That thing is nothing but problems to the folks I know who have them, if its not software issues its something else. There is a FB group just for people with these optics where they all seem to have issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That thing is nothing but problems to the folks I know who have them, if its not software issues its something else. There is a FB group just for people with these optics where they all seem to have issues.

Quoted:
Well, you can go to the ATN Facebook "smart" owners group and read problem after problem. Somebody will be along shortly to tell you how great ATN is. I will just keep my mouth shut.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#4]
X Sight- Gen 1 is trash, gen 2 resolved some of those issues, but I think some issues are still present. If you get one buy new with a warranty and sell it before the warranty expires

If I was looking for a digital scope I would do the photon XT. It doesn't have all of the fancy features of the ATN, but it works every time you turn it on. Very underrated scope for what it is.

I wouldn't consider any of the digital scopes to be long range or precision scopes and they all will need a fair amount of supplemental IR light (that may or may not spook animals ).
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Honestly, I think I'm just going to keep looking for a pvs-4 with a good tube. I can make the rest of the rifle light enough to make up for the weight of the 4's lense and bulk.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:50:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a gen 2 unit that has been nothing but good news for me. The Facebook groups are primarily for troubleshooting, so naturally when you go on and read them it appears like every scope ever sold has issues.

I was skeptical before purchasing mine because of reports of issues, but I have been pleasantly surprised. You just have to really pay attention to instructions, and make sure you treat it how it wants to be treated - I can see where some would get annoyed by that statement so I totally understand. One of the big things seems to be to make sure you factory reset the thing when you get it no matter what, and to use KENTLI brand rechargeable lithium AA batteries internally rather than relying on external power supplies. The rechargeable KENTLIs regulate power output to exactly 1.5V through the entire charge of the battery rather than have it fluctuate from just above 1.5 to around 1.2 before dying. By keeping constant 1.5V to the processor of the scope, you get a lot less issues apparently, plus no hassle of external power, and a set on a full charge will last you 6 to 9 hours depending on the features you're using.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Before you spend that kind of money on old technology like the PVS4 you will be much happier with thermal if you are hunting. ATN thorHD 1.25-5 for $1694 right now (google will help you find it) or the FLIR Q14b for $1800-ish suggested MSRP when they hit the street in a few months. Thermal changes the game.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Unfortunately, steel plates don't produce heat. And the kind of thermal one can get for pvs-4 prices isn't something you can shoot 300yd with.

I'm training for a different kind of war.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#9]
The PVS-4 while old is a superior scope with better optics than most anything made today. It is a superb piece of engineering.

My scope is Gen 3 and I will put it up against anything modern. It is big and heavy. That is its only downside. Now that they standardize all tubes to 18mm it kind of killed advancement in 25mm tubes. That said it is still a highly capable scope with many fans.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've got a gen 2 unit that has been nothing but good news for me. The Facebook groups are primarily for troubleshooting, so naturally when you go on and read them it appears like every scope ever sold has issues.

I was skeptical before purchasing mine because of reports of issues, but I have been pleasantly surprised. You just have to really pay attention to instructions, and make sure you treat it how it wants to be treated - I can see where some would get annoyed by that statement so I totally understand. One of the big things seems to be to make sure you factory reset the thing when you get it no matter what, and to use KENTLI brand rechargeable lithium AA batteries internally rather than relying on external power supplies. The rechargeable KENTLIs regulate power output to exactly 1.5V through the entire charge of the battery rather than have it fluctuate from just above 1.5 to around 1.2 before dying. By keeping constant 1.5V to the processor of the scope, you get a lot less issues apparently, plus no hassle of external power, and a set on a full charge will last you 6 to 9 hours depending on the features you're using.
View Quote

While your comments are all correct, you are preaching to the folks who a year ago were mocking the "unnecessary features" ATN had on their thermal scopes (onboard photos/video recording, streaming via WiFi to tablets/smartphones, etc) while downplaying the lower price points for the ATN products.

SHOT Show 2017 saw FLIR and Pulsar make announcements about "all the cool new features" being added to their thermal products this year (onboard photos/video recording, streaming via WiFi to tablets/smartphones) AND how they would have new products at lower prices!!!

Even the fact that an ATN user who 95% of the time made a user error with his scope can find a global group of users who patiently walk him through how to do things correctly any time of the night or day is a TERRIBLE   thing according to the "experts" on this forum.

Uh huh.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

While your comments are all correct, you are preaching to the folks who a year ago were mocking the "unnecessary features" ATN had on their thermal scopes (onboard photos/video recording, streaming via WiFi to tablets/smartphones, etc) while downplaying the lower price points for the ATN products.

SHOT Show 2017 saw FLIR and Pulsar make announcements about "all the cool new features" being added to their thermal products this year (onboard photos/video recording, streaming via WiFi to tablets/smartphones) AND how they would have new products at lower prices!!!

Even the fact that an ATN user who 95% of the time made a user error with his scope can find a global group of users who patiently walk him through how to do things correctly any time of the night or day is a TERRIBLE   thing according to the "experts" on this forum.

Uh huh.
View Quote

Cool story.

Funny how the TNVC Facebook page has few problems or updates. But what do I know...
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:29:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Cool story.

Funny how the TNVC Facebook page has few problems or updates. But what do I know...
View Quote

On this topic?  You're always eager to display how much you think you know ...

One is a Corporate Account - the other is a User's Group

One is run by employees of TNVC  - the other is run by volunteers

The ATN Smart HD Owners group is where users help other users with computer technology and related issues - as well as sharing hunting knowledge, tips, and lots and lots of videos of kills. TNVC has great people and great products - no one has said otherwise - but the technology they sell and support will only enter the same level of technology USER issues in the coming year.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:03:57 AM EDT
[#14]
There are no ATN employees at the owners group ?

Okay...

I don't buy ATN stuff but I can read. I just read all the problems on the Facebook page. I direct people to the page so they can read and come to a conclusion. ATN does not need my help. They do it all themselves.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:57:38 AM EDT
[#15]
My friend has an X sight and burnt through 8 batteries in about 2 hours. He now has external that fits inside the buffer tube on his chassis.

I have personally never seen through it but for the money he paid second hand with his laser IR he can see 300 yards and clear nights.

Im not personally a fan of ATN and i saw their thermal yesterday and it cant compete with Pulsars new offering.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I have an ATN gen2+ NOD. It's their PS-14 line, which means it's got smaller lenses on both sides and uses a russian tube that actually has zero blemishes or dead spots. If I could buy a replacement objective lens, it would be a perfect example of how russian gen2+ can compete with low-end gen3. No edge distortion, autogain, and over all a very nice device if you can't afford gen3. I couldn't at the time. I have good omni VII gen3 now. HOWEVER: I tried to contact ATN to get parts. They were totally unhelpful after I waited on hold for 47 minutes to talk to someone who could answer questions. They couldn't look up the serial number, and argued with me about how it probably wasn't an ATN device. You pay for what you get.

The question was "Is the ATN X-Sight worth $700." It was answered. "No, it's not."

The second question was "Is the pvs-4 a better option, since thermal won't work for me?" It was answered. "Yes, the pvs-4 is an awesome device."

I think we can all dispense with the ATN-stories about how good or bad of a company they are, it's pretty evident to anyone who doesn't have a stake in their success or failure. My question has been answered four times now. My money will go towards a pvs-4.

ETA:
Sam, Dino, westernhaikus1, Caver, ZeroFX: thank you for your input. I'm gonna pass on the x-sight, again.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have an ATN gen2+ NOD. It's their PS-14 line, which means it's got smaller lenses on both sides and uses a russian tube that actually has zero blemishes or dead spots. If I could buy a replacement objective lens, it would be a perfect example of how russian gen2+ can compete with low-end gen3. No edge distortion, autogain, and over all a very nice device if you can't afford gen3. I couldn't at the time. I have good omni VII gen3 now. HOWEVER: I tried to contact ATN to get parts. They were totally unhelpful after I waited on hold for 47 minutes to talk to someone who could answer questions. They couldn't look up the serial number, and argued with me about how it probably wasn't an ATN device. You pay for what you get.

The question was "Is the ATN X-Sight worth $700." It was answered. "No, it's not."

The second question was "Is the pvs-4 a better option, since thermal won't work for me?" It was answered. "Yes, the pvs-4 is an awesome device."

I think we can all dispense with the ATN-stories about how good or bad of a company they are, it's pretty evident to anyone who doesn't have a stake in their success or failure. My question has been answered four times now. My money will go towards a pvs-4.

ETA:
Sam, Dino, westernhaikus1, Caver, ZeroFX: thank you for your input. I'm gonna pass on the x-sight, again.
View Quote

No problem, happy to help. No skin off my back if you buy something else. I have one and I still want NODs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#18]
ATN already had a less than acceptable track record before they released the first X-Sight. Instead of recalling every gen 1 X-Sight and taking a loss like any company that takes pride in their products would do they fucked over every person that bought one by dumping it and starting fresh with a new model, the X-Sight 2. The first one is a useless piece of shit and the second one is just an updated version of the same turd.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
ATN already had a less than acceptable track record before they released the first X-Sight. Instead of recalling every gen 1 X-Sight and taking a loss like any company that takes pride in their products would do they fucked over every person that bought one by dumping it and starting fresh with a new model, the X-Sight 2. The first one is a useless piece of shit and the second one is just an updated version of the same turd.
View Quote

just my 2 cents, i bought the xsight gen1, it arrived DOA, 4 weeks later i received a replacement. runs about 6hrs with the extra features turned off, newer gen2's won't last this long. i'm using an older version of firmware and prefer it. i don't need the bells n whisltes.
its been working very good for me, killed many critters with it and video'ed lots of deer around my back yard. i use it 3-4 nights a week for about 6 months, every 6 months for the last 2 years, steady with no problems.
for the price, i like mine, its a good step into the ng game.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Before you spend that kind of money on old technology like the PVS4 you will be much happier with thermal if you are hunting. ATN thorHD 1.25-5 for $1694 right now (google will help you find it) or the FLIR Q14b for $1800-ish suggested MSRP when they hit the street in a few months. Thermal changes the game.
View Quote

Looking for the $1694 ATN Thor..can't find it.  Maybe another hint?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Looking for the $1694 ATN Thor..can't find it.  Maybe another hint?
View Quote
Supply & demand have pushed prices back up since caver101 made his post.

Just keep checking every few days and wait for the demand to drop off some.

FYI, the Facebook ATN Smart HD Owner's group is a good place to see hunting videos from the various units and membership passed 10,000 last week. It's a closed group but they routinely let non-owners join so they can learn before they buy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:05:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks!  Joined the group, looks like a lot of good info on there!

Now thermal or NV
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:29:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks!  Joined the group, looks like a lot of good info on there!

Now thermal or NV
View Quote
Unless you have the money for 640x480 based thermal, you will have better identification and awareness of whether you have an ethical shot or not with NV.

On the ATN FB group, you will see people happily taking hogs with the X-Sight II and the upgraded IR light delivered with the scopes for less than 1/5 the cost of an IIT solution.  And if you read up above, ALL of those people MUST be wrong because the people wedded to the IIT "night time only" solution trash talk ATN morning, noon and night.

Funny thing - the X-Sight II scopes sold are now more than 22,000 sold worldwide.

Ahh, well ... time will tell who is on the better long term path.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 2:37:43 AM EDT
[#24]
ATN has a terrific advertising and marketing campaign. Whoever that guy is he earns every penny of his pay !  Best thing I have to say today. I am playing nice in the sandbox this week.

Besides, I love ATN !!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
the people wedded to the IIT "night time only" solution trash talk ATN morning, noon and night.
View Quote

Nope, I talk truth about ATN.

They made some decent stuff, but then refused to support it, and argued with me about whether or not they actually made it. I finally told the guy "I'm holding it in my hand. It has your company's sticker with make/model/serial on it. You made it."

As long as they've sold 20k of them, because that's a great magical number. They do sell WP tubes for pretty cheaply, but don't want to give individual specs or images before you pay.

I'll wait for them to make a CCD-Based clip-on. In the mean time, I'll keep using lasers and looking for a PVS-4.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#26]
My friend has the x-sight. He told me one must follow the instructions to the T.

No typical man stuff and nit reading the directions and just F'ing around until you get it to work.

That said he bought it. Played with it three times in his yard, sighted it in, sand has yet to use it again.

So grain of salt and all that.  

My dad has an ATN scope that he's has for years. And when I say years I mean probably way over ten years.

Definitely gen 1. Has to be. It's huge too.  But the last time I looked through it I remember being pretty impressed. I was young though. And the only thing I had to compare it to was the Russian stuff he bought just to F around with.

So again, grain of salt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top