Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2017 9:40:12 AM EDT
im looking to add some IR lighting to my truck/ATV (kinda like skypups rig)

I remember seeing a thread that had these lights in them

Ive searched but I cant find anything
they say those lights are 24v but can be replaced with a 12vlt battery and work just fine. Plus they are cheap. I would be curious to see what kind of range they have.
The rigid lights look awesome but they are out of my budget for this project.

curious so see anyone's IR setup on a truck or ATV, I know vic posted a few pics of that camo taco on a coyote hunt a little while back.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I remember seeing a thread that had these lights in them http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m-rYUS6W-ifohL7jdrCjZ-w.jpg

they say those lights are 24v but can be replaced with a 12vlt battery and work just fine. Plus they are cheap. I would be curious to see what kind of range they have.

curious so see anyone's IR setup on a truck or ATV, I know vic posted a few pics of that camo taco on a coyote hunt a little while back.
View Quote

They don't work very well when you convert to 12V pretty dim. I tried those on my UTV but wasn't satisfied and they are heavy as shit. I ended up grabbing two of these and they are more than enough.

Amazon Product
  • Long distance of up to 130 feet (35-40m) illuminating, Wideangle 60 degree.
  • 6pcs high power LED array lights, wave length: 850nm.
  • Waterproof IP65 for both outdoor and indoor use. With high quality aluminum case and reinforced glass window

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I remember seeing a thread that had these lights in them http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m-rYUS6W-ifohL7jdrCjZ-w.jpg

View Quote

The old USGI light housings can use many standard 12V lights inside them. I think the size is PAR32. NAPA carries a wide range. You need to understand light patterns and intensity and choose one based on your needs.

I am intending on launching a night driving thread in the next 30 days. It will cover a lot of material.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I still have some of that green duct tape that you couldn't cut to save your life.  we used to cover the driving lights.  to drive in blackout mode......
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:58:55 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/IR-LED-Cubes-p/unv-940-02f-k.htm

I have used and will be using these on my next RZR project.
You won't be dis appointed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 3:00:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I also use the Rigid IR lights on my F-150.

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#7]
One thing about these truck rigs. How are you dimming the interior lights? Have some kind of fancy interior lighting setup?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They don't work very well when you convert to 12V pretty dim. I tried those on my UTV but wasn't satisfied and they are heavy as shit. I ended up grabbing two of these and they are more than enough.
View Quote

When you converted, did you jsut wire it up to 12V, or did you put in a 12 volt, 30 or 55 watt Par 32 tractor bulb in them?  

The IR LED 12volt lights I've used have been simply overpowering.  If I was going ot use them regularly, I'd install a rheostat.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have those lights. I converted them to 12V. They work as you would expect from a light that uses an IR filter. Buy Once, Cry Once and get the Rigid. Even ONE D2 light is pure awesome.

Just two lights I can drive highway speeds no problem:

Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
One thing about these truck rigs. How are you dimming the interior lights? Have some kind of fancy interior lighting setup?
View Quote

I use a RED A-Series Rigid Light. Same as one you can see on my Gator above.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#12]
With those Rigid square lights, what's the difference between the dually and the driving? I need a pair for my side by side.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had my Ford dealer enable "Police Dark Mode" on my truck.  Works awesome
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
With those Rigid square lights, what's the difference between the dually and the driving? I need a pair for my side by side.
View Quote

Dually is the form factor, as opposed to the rectangular light seen on the Tundra above.

Driving is a light pattern, as opposed to other patterns such as spot or flood.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Dually is the form factor, as opposed to the rectangular light seen on the Tundra above.

Driving is a light pattern, as opposed to other patterns such as spot or flood.
View Quote

They offer the spot, and the driving, with the driving being like twice as much money. What's the difference?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They offer the spot, and the driving, with the driving being like twice as much money. What's the difference?
View Quote

Spot is a long range pencil beam. Driving is a wide (not flood though) beam. Mine are driving.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Spot is a long range pencil beam. Driving is a wide (not flood though) beam. Mine are driving.
View Quote

What kind of range do you think you're getting from them? I'd like to be able to spot and pop coyotes at 200yds.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What kind of range do you think you're getting from them? I'd like to be able to spot and pop coyotes at 200yds.
View Quote

I use them mostly for driving so far enough for that. I use a Torch for shooting.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:52:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I may be mistaken, but I imagine the LED inside the Rigid is made in China.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As far as the interior lights go, we typically just replace our interiors with red bulbs. Then we can still retain our adapted night vision but have the ability to find things in the cab without wearing nods.

Exterior is a different story however. We go all out and don't skimp there.
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10527553_1064465596930611_654008638266308462_n.jpg?oh=c55ea8c9c3351c5f0b6e062bf80c37b4&oe=58FDA6D8

Let me know if you need any more info on the Rigid IR lights. Be happy to get you a price or any info you may need.
View Quote

Very slick
I just bought a 2017 Taco TRD off road a few months ago - I saw your build thread over on a toyota forum.

I am curious as to what type of toggle switch you have in the cab for the lights, where you mounted it, and where you went through the firewall at.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I think I'm missing something. For me, the idea is to wear NODS while I drive. Don't all those bright white screens pose an issue?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Second the SPOD as your switch. They have application specifc models for Jeeps, Toys, etc., and a generic application which I used in my Gator.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think I'm missing something. For me, the idea is to wear NODS while I drive. Don't all those bright white screens pose an issue?
View Quote

when you have the normal truck light switch in the off position the backlight is off on everything except for the screen where the radio controls are and the center screen next to the speedo

both of those have a brightness setting that can be turned all the way down.

Im sure the light pod also has a setting as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Another +1 for the Rigid IR lights/lightbars. Buy once cry once. You will not be disappointed!

Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

when you have the normal truck light switch in the off position the backlight is off on everything except for the screen where the radio controls are and the center screen next to the speedo

both of those have a brightness setting that can be turned all the way down.

Im sure the light pod also has a setting as well.
View Quote

Gotcha. On all the vehicles ive driven, the nav screens dont go dark. I suppose i could put a filter or cover it up if need be.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:19:25 AM EDT
[#27]
This video should cover a lot of what's in this thread.
All my exterior and interior lights are on relays that turn off with one switch. The speedo and touch screen stay on. I dim them and don't really have a problem with them.
These are Rigid IR duallys in the Fog light location.
I'm gonna be using UNVs IR lights from now on and am gonna mount them higher in position as well.

https://youtu.be/mK-DCsjjyzM
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:28:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I had my Ford dealer enable "Police Dark Mode" on my truck.  Works awesome
View Quote

What all is involved in that?  Does it kill the brake lights as well as interior / running lights?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What all is involved in that?  Does it kill the brake lights as well as interior / running lights?
View Quote

Just the interior lights.  For the brake lights, I installed a brake cut off switch.  I tied it into my lights/siren controller at the top of the photo.

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#33]
So I ordered the rigid ir driving pods, my side by side has a 2" tubing roll cage and I plan on buying these mounts.

http://axiaalloys.com/Universal-Mounting-Points

Will the mount on the light allow for a 3/8 bolt or do I need to go down to 8mm?
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So I ordered the rigid ir driving pods, my side by side has a 2" tubing roll cage and I plan on buying these mounts.

http://axiaalloys.com/Universal-Mounting-Points

Will the mount on the light allow for a 3/8 bolt or do I need to go down to 8mm?
View Quote
I don't know about those mounts but when I mounted my lights to the round tube on my ARB bumper I used the stainless U-bolts with rubber shock isolators from McMaster-Carr. I think they were $16 each and the galvanized version were half of that. I made my own mounting plate so hole size was not an issue. If you are set on your path then the ones that you picked look great - they have more cosmetic appeal than mine for sure but mine work great.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't know about those mounts but when I mounted my lights to the round tube on my ARB bumper I used the stainless U-bolts with rubber shock isolators from McMaster-Carr. I think they were $16 each and the galvanized version were half of that. I made my own mounting plate so hole size was not an issue. If you are set on your path then the ones that you picked look great - they have more cosmetic appeal than mine for sure but mine work great.
View Quote

I definitely like the fact that they're billet and look high quality. And after looking at more pics and watching videos on the lights, it seems the mount is wide enough that even if the slot isn't 3/8 right now it can be opened up to accept a 3/8 bolt.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I am really interested in the lights in the OP.  I understand they are filtered, and when dropped to 12 volts may have reduced output.  But I kinda like them. That and Im kinda a surplus junky... My plan is for a single light on your basic four wheeler.  I don't think I could support electrically much more than that.  (2001 Yamaha Raptor)  

With those lights what could I expect in illuminated light distance? Would they illuminate say half a dirt road in width and 150 feet out?  

Comments above were , There not great ok but what does that relate to in use?   I don't expect 200 yards like the ridged brand above At full hiway speeds.  And maybe next year a set of those might be in the works...

(ps I do have gen3 mono)

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#37]
After pricing out the surplus with a bulb change and pig tail I was at the point of half of a set of ridged...I got the amazon ones listed above.  If the durability holds up they are pretty good on the light output.  850nm and has a very distinctive redness at about 30 feet naked eye.  solid 120 feet lighted great, and quickly diffuses after that.  30 feet width.  

940 would be better....

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
After pricing out the surplus with a bulb change and pig tail I was at the point of half of a set of ridged...I got the amazon ones listed above.  If the durability holds up they are pretty good on the light output.  850nm and has a very distinctive redness at about 30 feet naked eye.  solid 120 feet lighted great, and quickly diffuses after that.  30 feet width.  

940 would be better....

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q18/bigskytrapper/IMG_2042_zpsskytdilu.jpg
View Quote
Good to know, I have been looking at those.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

940 would be better....

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q18/bigskytrapper/IMG_2042_zpsskytdilu.jpg
View Quote
Sweet!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#40]
There are other places that sell IR lights.

For 1/2 the price of Rigid too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:21:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There are other places that sell IR lights.

For 1/2 the price of Rigid too.
View Quote
i would stick to rigid, baja industries, and unv. they all have lifetime warranty

first test
Rigid IR 10" L3 White Phosphor 17 RZR 1000 XP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZulG0oK47rQ
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:19:10 AM EDT
[#42]

Just havin" fun

"redness" at a good 35 paces

Not bad

bright enough to run a wheeler at decent speed

(yeah Iphone and holding everything together for pics sux)

SO far holding up good.  I need to make better mounts with less vibration.  
Just a night out running in black out for fun
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top