Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey cool but props to Augee for bringing that up, not to mention SOT and others who have contributed to this thread.  I have just validated what they said.  

Yeah I don't want to piss in anyone's Cheerios, but that dang OTAL has been really awesome, for what I need it for.  Not having a built-in illum, or viz laser for zero, or ON button, etc. just hasn't really been any issue(s).  It gives you an IR laser in a light weight, economical package.  Adding a viz/IR light isn't that big of a deal.  If you add a TAPS Pro to the mix, you have a very viable system.

On the riser, I am finding I just LIKE it, period, for all light conditions.  And it does give you another tool in your kit for NV use.  I would think that hunters would be especially interested in the fact that you only need IR illum, using your RDS reticle for aiming.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#2]
For you guys with a passive engagement setup, do you use a 1/2 riser under a lower 1/3 cowitness mount, or a full cowitness mount?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I am still using the same 1/3 co-witness set up I had before I did this.  I added a Burris 3-slot riser underneath the front sight so they are co-witnessed exactly where they were before being raised another 1/2".  So I am 3" above the upper rail, with the MBUS at 2 1/2" I guess.  

BTW, when I re-zeroed at this new height, the cool part was I just turned the IR laser on and co-witnessed it with the RDS reticle.  Bam.  So both are zeroed at 100m, which works for me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For you guys with a passive engagement setup, do you use a 1/2 riser under a lower 1/3 cowitness mount, or a full cowitness mount?
View Quote
You would want to start with a 1/3 mount since it is higher than a full cowitness, then add additional height via risers from there as necessary. I'm going to start with an additional 1/2" riser since Diz said it worked well for him.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You would want to start with a 1/3 mount since it is higher than a full cowitness, then add additional height via risers from there as necessary. I'm going to start with an additional 1/2" riser since Diz said it worked well for him.
View Quote
...only because the higher risers are difficult to find. High quality 1/2" risers are easy to find. If you are constrained to an absolute cowitness RDS then you will need a 5/8" or 3/4" riser. Do not plan on loving this setup right away. Give it some time. I consider this adaptation to be a compromise and I have never really fully adjusted to it, whereas Diz seems to have fallen in love with it. I did not fully commit to this. I built an experimental top end so I can just revert to my old rig if I desire.

I am using Troy Offset Sights in conjunction with this methodology since standard upright irons are not usable with the elevated RDS. I had considered raising the standard irons in conjunction with the RDS.

I never considered the elevated RDS to be a part of this thread. I considered this thread to be more of an introductory thread and I considered the riser system to be a more committed intermediate-level solution. If we are going to import this concept to this thread, should I further explore my background observations on why I like this system so much even though I have some misgivings about it?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah man go for it brother.  Either here or we can resurrect the other thread.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...only because the higher risers are difficult to find. High quality 1/2" risers are easy to find. If you are constrained to an absolute cowitness RDS then you will need a 5/8" or 3/4" riser. Do not plan on loving this setup right away. Give it some time. I consider this adaptation to be a compromise and I have never really fully adjusted to it, whereas Diz seems to have fallen in love with it. I did not fully commit to this. I built an experimental top end so I can just revert to my old rig if I desire.

I am using Troy Offset Sights in conjunction with this methodology since standard upright irons are not usable with the elevated RDS. I had considered raising the standard irons in conjunction with the RDS.

I never considered the elevated RDS to be a part of this thread. I considered this thread to be more of an introductory thread and I considered the riser system to be a more committed intermediate-level solution. If we are going to import this concept to this thread, should I further explore my background observations on why I like this system so much even though I have some misgivings about it?
View Quote
I vote do it here because the original thread where Augee was discussing it had nothing really to do with that topic if I recall. At least here this is a catch-all for must know NVG info.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
This lined up perfect with the LT mount.

Here's some shots of FOV also.
ADM lower 1/3rd mount.

Hope this Attachment Attached File
helps.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Here it is again on a 300BO bulld.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:00:26 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
Nice rig.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#11]
What 1/2" riser are you guys trusting to hold zero for the RDS? Seeing some pretty cheap ones out there
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What 1/2" riser are you guys trusting to hold zero for the RDS? Seeing some pretty cheap ones out there
View Quote
I bought a Burris 1/2" riser for $16 at my local gunshop. Got it mounted, going to test it with non-live fire exercises tonight. I did shoot the upper during the day without NV stuff using the riser over the weekend and the riser seemed to work out just fine. Not sure if you really need to spend a lot on this particular piece.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Side question for zeroing an IR laser by using the USGI mount to put a PVS14 behind your zeroed RDS and cowitnessing the IR laser with the red dot:

If you bump the RDS up a half inch, what do you do about the 14 mounted behind it for zeroing? I tried this out, and managed to zero pretty effectively, but for some reason I was seeing the IR laser through the monocular as two dots very close together rather than one. I assume this had something to do with the monocular being roughly half an inch lower than the RDS while zeroing, but I have no idea what. Is this a non-issue? I also noticed that my view through the monocular was very blurry/smudged in the center of the field of view sitting behind the optic - which made it hard to aim at a target for zeroing ~100 yards. I assume this is again due to the mismatch of height of the monocular behind the raised RDS which hurt light transmission more than usual.

Any thoughts from the experts on the above?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
FWIW I picked up an American Defense Manufacturing 0.6" riser QD. It's very nice. Is usually labeled as the Vortex riser.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Side question for zeroing an IR laser by using the USGI mount to put a PVS14 behind your zeroed RDS and cowitnessing the IR laser with the red dot:

If you bump the RDS up a half inch, what do you do about the 14 mounted behind it for zeroing? I tried this out, and managed to zero pretty effectively, but for some reason I was seeing the IR laser through the monocular as two dots very close together rather than one. I assume this had something to do with the monocular being roughly half an inch lower than the RDS while zeroing, but I have no idea what. Is this a non-issue? I also noticed that my view through the monocular was very blurry/smudged in the center of the field of view sitting behind the optic - which made it hard to aim at a target for zeroing ~100 yards. I assume this is again due to the mismatch of height of the monocular behind the raised RDS which hurt light transmission more than usual.

Any thoughts from the experts on the above?
View Quote
Just keep the PVS-14 helmet mounted.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
KAC is fairly common.

LaRue LT101 5/8" riser is also a frequently used.

ARMS has various models, and lots of manufacturers have made them in the past--if you basically go with a "trusted brand" for the riser same as you would for any optic mount, you should generally be fine.

As usual, there are a lot of offerings out there from your NcStars and such for $5 or so on eBay and Gunbroker or at the local fudd store. Some of them are decent enough for "proof of concept" work, but I would stick to known quantities for long term use.

The Wilcox Industries riser kits are the Cadillacs of the riser world, but they're expensive, and only come as a kit with the Wilcox flip mount and are only really configured for short EOTechs, though you can use most single-recoil lug mounts on them as well. You also can only use the KAC Micro rear sight if you choose to use one as well. That being said--if you are using a compatible configuration, they're great, great pieces of kit, and are available in both .410" and 5/8" heights and come with matching front sight risers as well. If you use an RDS with a magnifier in the day, you can QD the magnifier easily from the flip mount to give you room for NVDs.

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm think of going to a 1.93" mount for this setup, since the DBAL eats the lower 1/3 of the scope.

Is that a good plan?

Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm think of going to a 1.93" mount for this setup, since the DBAL eats the lower 1/3 of the scope.

Is that a good plan?

https://image.ibb.co/i2fbHv/IMG_1206.jpg
View Quote
You can be our guinea penquin.
Nice stick.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nice stick.
View Quote
Fair enough! I'm on it!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Resurrecting this with a new question that I had the other day while in the gun store, but not deserving of its own thread because I think there's a simple answer I'm just not thinking about:

So I'm in the gun shop the other day and they have a nice P320 with one of the Sig reflex sights on it factory installed. With my PVS-14 set up, I'm using the Butler Creek flip cap mod discussed in this thread to improve focus up close which allows me to shoot pretty well with my tritium night sights without having to adjust focus. Sure, the sights are blurry a little bit still, but I've proven I can shoot with them effectively.

Given that, what benefit would a red dot on a pistol give me? Would the red dot be less blurry than the night sights in my field of view? I realize there would be no lining up sights so in theory I maybe could shoot faster. What is the general reason people get dots on their pistols specifically for shooting under NVGs?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nice stick.
View Quote
FYI - The 1.93" clears the DBAL-D2 completely.

The old standard mount had probably 1/3 of the scope view obscured.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:45:03 AM EDT
[#22]
In regards the riser conversation. I posted a thread in the optics forum and got some stellar replies. I got a yankee hill 1/2" riser. It was like $25 off amazon. I experimented with a T2 and eotech exps 3-2. with the riser it was amazing how easy it was to get into the optic (even the micro) with head mounted 14s. Not to mention without. Definitely a fan of that setup.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In regards the riser conversation. I posted a thread in the optics forum and got some stellar replies. I got a yankee hill 1/2" riser. It was like $25 off amazon. I experimented with a T2 and eotech exps 3-2. with the riser it was amazing how easy it was to get into the optic (even the micro) with head mounted 14s. Not to mention without. Definitely a fan of that setup.
View Quote
I might try this. Have a link?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Is that a good plan?

https://image.ibb.co/i2fbHv/IMG_1206.jpg
View Quote
Damn I want that fde d2. Don't suppose you want to try for a black d2
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Damn I want that fde d2. Don't suppose you want to try for a black d2
View Quote
I only got FDE because I didn't want to have to paint it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I might try this. Have a link?
View Quote
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AEM2Y2G
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#27]
On the risers, I used middle of the road pricing, with a 50 dollar upper riser for  the RDS and rear MBUS, and a 15 buck Front MBUS riser.  I train on a regular basis with this rifle and I see no issues with these parts.  I would call my training a "regular" schedule.  If you actually have an "extreme schedule", such as jump/scuba insertions and what-not, then sure maybe you would need the high-end parts.  Up to you.

On the pistol use with NV, there are those that prefer tritium sights because they bloom under NV and are therefor easier to see.  That's one way to do it.  A micro RDS is going to be much similar to a rifle mounted RDS, except the plain is much lower (especially after going with 1/2" extra riser on rifle), so it takes a bit more time and reps to get lined up.  That's a good way to go.  Ideally you would get a pistol mounted IR laser (and maybe illum)  as well, so you have the same techniques available to both rifle and pistol.

On a practical note, my assumption is, in most cases, when I'm switching to pistol under NV it's really close quarters, so lining up sights might not be that much of an issue.  Not that I wouldn't train for any likely scenario, including longer ranges where sights are required, but in my case my rifle would probably be my primary weapon under NV.  I have one pistol with tritium sights for use with NV, and another with a MRDS for use as a primary weapon for every day carry.   But this is probably stuff for another thread.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#28]
This is a great read for a new user like me.

Thank you guys for the tips on the Tiffen 30 uvp and drilling out the butler creek 07 cap. I drilled my cap to 5mm to start and love the ability to close it quickly to look at the ground around my feet. I don't think I would have ever thought of that and its amazing how well it works.

I can't wait to try it out on my 300 too.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This is a great read for a new user like me.

Thank you guys for the tips on the Tiffen 30 uvp and drilling out the butler creek 07 cap. I drilled my cap to 5mm to start and love the ability to close it quickly to look at the ground around my feet. I don't think I would have ever thought of that and its amazing how well it works.

I can't wait to try it out on my 300 too.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/195843/300-nv-264855.JPG
View Quote
Nice rifle mate.
Welcome!
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#30]
I just want to shout out the ADM riser again. I'm really liking this thing.

Amazon
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Not sure if there's 2/3 different conversations going on at the same time, but are you guys putting these risers on your rifles to simply get a co witness, line your weapon mounted PVS up and/or clear the obstruction your rail mounted IR laser is creating, or are you trying to be able to wear your monocle over your right eye and utilize your weaponsight/RDS with it?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not sure if there's 2/3 different conversations going on at the same time, but are you guys putting these risers on your rifles to simply get a co witness, line your weapon mounted PVS up and/or clear the obstruction your rail mounted IR laser is creating, or are you trying to be able to wear your monocle over your right eye and utilize your weaponsight/RDS with it?
View Quote
Option 3. They are wearing their MNVD over their dominant eye and sighting through their red dot, which is on a riser to bring it up a little more than usual.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:29:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally the discussion was about raising up the RDS so you could use the reticle for passive NV work.   But for me, I discovered that I liked the new height across the board.  So I put a Hahn Engineering full-length riser underneath the RDS and rear MBUS, and a  Burris 3-slot under the front MBUS.  So this does several things. First of all, I just like the new height for shooting, period.  It lines up your eye and sight better.  And allows more room for a helmet and comms.  The back up sights are still 1/3 co-witness.  The LAM is now out of the FOV.  And finally, the MNVD can be swung over to the right side and used in conjunction with the RDS.  So the original idea was a way of using NV passive, but it does a host of other things for me now as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/221816/IMG-1260-257786.JPG
View Quote
Not to side track this great thread, but what optic is that? And is it NV compatible?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Not to side track this great thread, but what optic is that? And is it NV compatible?
View Quote
No sir it's not.

http://www.primaryarms.com/pa1-6x24sfp-acss-5-56
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I hope it's ok to post a link to SH (since it's not TOS). This seems like a really cool idea.

I'm intrigued by the idea of a combo close-focus cap and daylight filter. Does anybody know what this IR pass-through film he's talking about it?

https://forum.snipershide.com/forum/sniper%C2%92s-hide%C2%AE-armory-supply/sniper-s-hide-night-vision-devices/223267-cap-retention?p=3556217#post3556217

I use the BC's as well. They work great. I drill a 3/8" hole in the left one, so to focus on something close, like your gear, a door that needs manipulated, or some other close item, you just flip it down. If you still need protection against light, since you don't have a pinhole cover, just glue a piece of IR passthrough film on the inside of the cap and you have a $15 item that does the same thing these $100-200 items do. It's not as sexy to show off on the internet, but I'm a pretty low speed guy, and it has worked fine for the military for quite a few years.
A lot of inexpensive home improvements can be done on the 14's, and a BC definitely is one of those! You also don't have a cap dangling in your face (sure, Velcro can fix that).

I always get my baseline focus before I put the cap on when using any kind of flip up, so that the cap is oriented the way I want it to.

If you already have the crimpers, let me know and I'll clip you a length of wire and throw it in an envelope with some crimps so you don't have to buy a whole roll and a bag of crimps.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Check pages 4 & 5 of this thread.  The modified BC cap is also good for "shutting down the iris" when you enter higher light areas, allowing you keep IR on so you can still use laser pointer/illum.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Does anybody know what this IR pass-through film he's talking about it?
View Quote
I am not 100% but my online search brought me to home made IR filters.

It looks like if can find an old floppy disk you can use it to create one.
Attachment Attached File

I just happen to have a bin of them at my desk so I chopped one up and put it in front of my iPhone camera. I used the forward facing side as the rear has an IR reducing filter. I know this as it will not see the glow from remotes and the (selfie cam) side does.

I am going to add a chunk inside my Butler Creek cap tonight and see how it does.

Crappy iPhone 5 selfie cam pic to test viability.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/221816/IMG-1260-257786.JPG
Ultimately a fully "night vision compatible" sight is preferable. That having been said - under many conditions (especially high-light, dynamic urban settings) , a "non-night vision compatible" sight can be used in conjunction with an MNVD in a helmet mounted configuration. The visible settings can also be used in passive mode during an approach as part of a white light transition. There are a lot of variables in skinning this cat.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm intrigued by the idea of a combo close-focus cap and daylight filter. Does anybody know what this IR pass-through film he's talking about it?
View Quote
IR Pass Filters are available in 30mm. I use them (instead of the clear lens protector) in conjunction with the flip aperture if I am working in a highly dynamic lighting environment.

The aperture chokes the incoming light. When I open the cap, the IR filter still keeps the tube from getting over saturated. This, of course, is not for Deep Dark conditions - as you are severely reducing overall light gain. This is an example of different tools being used for different jobs.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#41]
I always remove batteries and cover both lenses with solid lens covers not daylight covers
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:24:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I am not 100% but my online search brought me to home made IR filters.

It looks like if can find an old floppy disk you can use it to create one.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/195843/1832floppy-disc-271451.JPG

I just happen to have a bin of them at my desk so I chopped one up and put it in front of my iPhone camera. I used the forward facing side as the rear has an IR reducing filter. I know this as it will not see the glow from remotes and the (selfie cam) side does.

I am going to add a chunk inside my Butler Creek cap tonight and see how it does.

Crappy iPhone 5 selfie cam pic to test viability.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/195843/IMG_7210-271460.JPG
View Quote
Holy crap. That's cool. I'll dig around and see if I can find one. I think I threw all of mine out the last time I moved, but maybe not. Actually, I know a friend that definitely has some.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#43]
After a little testing the floppy disk does work as a light blocker. I added a piece inside my butler creek cap and it drastically reduced the light going into the monocular.

With the cap closed and a 5mm aperture the disk material greatly reduced the ability to see in low light conditions. Using the onboard IR was marginally better but still very dark. When I turned my torch on in a very confined area it went back to normal brightness when typically it would be too bright.

My PVS is not gated so I was very careful in my testing.

As SOT said I do believe this might be useful in a mixed light area but it the deep dark it's useless.

I do not know if this will harm the tube so try at your own risk.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:03:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Not bad.  Maybe make it removable by cutting it so it snaps in and out.  Would also act as a full dust cover in areas where that might be an issue.

Are floppies still generally available or would you have to hit a secondary market?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not bad.  Maybe make it removable by cutting it so it snaps in and out.  Would also act as a full dust cover in areas where that might be an issue.

Are floppies still generally available or would you have to hit a secondary market?
View Quote
I'm pretty sure I have access to a shit ton. I'll confirm. If so, let me know via email and I'll send you a cut piece in an envelop (I can afford a stamp). Or you pay shipping LOL.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Right on dude, we can trade out on some stuff.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Just a heads up the floppy is just slightly smaller than the lens. It looks exaggerated in my picture but it's a mm or 2 short.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#48]
My cube mate at work handed me a half dozen.

And I ordered the butler creek cap yesterday. So I should have this tested tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
My cube mate at work handed me a half dozen.

And I ordered the butler creek cap yesterday. So I should have this tested tomorrow.
View Quote
I am totally in favor of cutting costs where needed but 30mm IR Pass filters can be had for $10.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Yeah good point.  BUT this would be an excellent field expedient.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top