Posted: 1/12/2017 7:40:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#1]
love that PIP!!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#3]
That's wxactly what stood out to me as well.
PIP! What a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice! I have a feeling I am about to jump on board the Pulsar train!

Ive said it before, and I'll say it again - its sad that ATN is the one pushing other mfgs to add on board video and making them play catch-up at this point
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like a great unit. Will these models offer the sepia color mode?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
 This mount looks a lot better than the ugly, heavy, long mount in all their photos. Is this aftermarket or something? 
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ive said it before, and I'll say it again - its sad that ATN is the one pushing other mfgs to add on board video and making them play catch-up at this point
View Quote
Well, here's something else they can play catch-up on - somebody just posted this on the FB group:

ATN X-Trac - Tactical Remote Access Control System
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 6:14:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well, here's something else they can play catch-up on - somebody just posted this on the FB group:

View Quote
I believe they already beat ATN to the punch. The XD series already has remote capabilities, as does the Trail scope mentioned in this thread. 

pulsar trail thermal

Pulsar XD38
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah as much as you guys like to bash ATN, you have to admit that they have been pushing the envelope and dropping price points while they are doing it.

Their execution hasn't always been the best, but we were paying $12k for a 320 scope before the ThOR came along.

Onboard video is gonna be a must have from here out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#12]
You should click on the link

The ATN Smart scopes have the same remote control you are highlighting in the first case via WiFi to a smartphone or laptop and they have had it for over a year.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah as much as you guys like to bash ATN, you have to admit that they have been pushing the envelope and dropping price points while they are doing it.

Their execution hasn't always been the best, but we were paying $12k for a 320 scope before the ThOR came along.

View Quote
Until you get used to having it, it's hard to understand just how useful it is for every day use.

Pulsar gets the props of going to it - rather than claiming there is no reason to have it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:42:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You should click on the link

The ATN Smart scopes have the same remote control you are highlighting in the first case via WiFi to a smartphone or laptop and they have had it for over a year.
View Quote
Thanks. I did click the link. What led me to believe Pulsar beat ATN was that Pulsar has scopes in production already using remote controls, and your link had this really huge at the bottom:

Additionally, I think you misread what I posted about Pulsar's Field Thermal. The caption says "Remote Control Operation AND Wifi", not "Remote control operation VIA Wifi", which is what you seem to be suggesting. I'm fairly certain that the new Pulsar offering is using the same remote tech displayed in the XD38 page link I posted (second link), which is what ATN is advertising as "Coming Soon". 
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:47:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same for Pulsar. The ATN thor 320 was around $5000 until the Pulsar Apex 38A came out for $2999.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 2:15:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Catch up??? I own a Pulsar Apex. It came with the scope. I guess you will have to wait for your remote and cough up $80 for yours.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I like that mount upgrade it would be a must for me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks. I did click the link. What led me to believe Pulsar beat ATN was that Pulsar has scopes in production already using remote controls, and your link had this really huge at the oe=58D5F33E]https://scontent.fsnc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/15974885_10158021241410623_2574425535712788717_o.jpg?oh=79863c2afbf25918473688ef75bfad0a&oe=58D5F33E[/url]

Additionally, I think you misread what I posted about Pulsar's Field Thermal. The caption says "Remote Control Operation AND Wifi", not "Remote control operation VIA Wifi", which is what you seem to be suggesting. I'm fairly certain that the new Pulsar offering is using the same remote tech displayed in the XD38 page link I posted (second link), which is what ATN is advertising as "Coming Soon". 
View Quote
The remote delivered with the XD38 has 3 functions On, Cal and Zoom/PIP
It doesn't let you take photos or start/stop the video recording. It doesn't duplicate ALL the on scope controls AND provide you with the ability to zoom at one tenth increments via  a separate wheel.
While it's nice to see Pulsar getting on board the internal video recording bandwagon and adding WiFi; how long do you think it will be before they add the built in Ballistic Calculator?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There were multiple distance zero settings on the units I tested. Not sure about "calculation", but you can definitely save your ballistics via multiple distance settings. See 7:06 in this vid https://youtu.be/8VAHdSYakGM?t=7m6s
View Quote
What you are describing Rich is multiple "profiles", the scope will remember the zeroed coordinates for given distances OR the zeroed coordinates for multiple guns - which is extremely useful.

The ATN Ballistics Calculator makes use of the bullet's drag function, ballistic coefficient, weight, and initial velocity in conjunction with the center to center height of the scope above the bore, the zeroed distance for the specific profile, whether you are shooting at an inclined or depressed angle and the wind speed and direction entered by the user at the time of the shot to adjust the reticle itself for the perfect shot.

The same technology exists on a BORS or a Burris Eliminator III - but neither of those is mated to a thermal scope to my knowledge. The BallisticsLaser Rangefinder being shown by ATN at SHOT Show will measure the distance up to 1,500 meters and feed it to an ATN Smart HD scope or the users smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth.

Thermal scopes are going to differentiate, for my money, between those that sell by brand and those that will push technology and greater value. I think it is a step forward for Pulsar to be moving decidedly to the technology side of the competition because it will make the "technology scopes" improve from competition between the manufacturers on that path.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Is there a specs sheet on the thermal trail, like magnification, field of view, etc.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Price range for the Trail?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

The original post states that it should be under $5000, which is sounds good to me.

I wonder how long after it is debuted at shot show that it will actually be on shelves to purchase?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The original post states that it should be under $5000, which is sounds good to me.

I wonder how long after it is debuted at shot show that it will actually be on shelves to purchase?
View Quote

Damn. That's a sweet price for that.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, completely missed it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:47:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What you are describing Rich is multiple "profiles", the scope will remember the zeroed coordinates for given distances OR the zeroed coordinates for multiple guns - which is extremely useful.

The ATN Ballistics Calculator makes use of the bullet's drag function, ballistic coefficient, weight, and initial velocity in conjunction with the center to center height of the scope above the bore, the zeroed distance for the specific profile, whether you are shooting at an inclined or depressed angle and the wind speed and direction entered by the user at the time of the shot to adjust the reticle itself for the perfect shot.

The same technology exists on a BORS or a Burris Eliminator III - but neither of those is mated to a thermal scope to my knowledge. The BallisticsLaser Rangefinder being shown by ATN at SHOT Show will measure the distance up to 1,500 meters and feed it to an ATN Smart HD scope or the users smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth.

Thermal scopes are going to differentiate, for my money, between those that sell by brand and those that will push technology and greater value. I think it is a step forward for Pulsar to be moving decidedly to the technology side of the competition because it will make the "technology scopes" improve from competition between the manufacturers on that path.
View Quote

The ballistic calculator is cool but completely useless on their thermal scope, unless you have it mounted on a bb gun.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#31]
The big q for USA folks would be how does is compare with IRD - Flir rs wise?

The OLED 800 or 640?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I see the specs on the Trail XP50 show a 1.6X magnification, down from the 2X magnification on the XD50S, this would give the XP50 about the same field of view as the REAP-IR/IR Hunter MK II. I think that is a good move, can hardly wait to see some comparisons to it's competitors.

Pulsar XP50
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#36]
XP 50 is for me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Any word on when they will be available for purchase? Specifically the 640s.

Also, if 10X zoom is more than enough for me, is there any reason to go with the larger lens? The price difference isn't enough to rule one out.

Thanks,
-Stooxie 
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 12:06:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Pulsar says April-August arrival. That's only an estimate and I don't trust any arrival dates until we actually have the product in hand. The benefit of the larger lens is a longer detection and ID range. Every level of digital zoom decreases your resolution by 50% so look at the base magnification and up to 4X digital zoom for a usable magnification range on a 640 unit. 
View Quote

digital zoom resolution is 50%

but remember 640x480 detector has 307200 sensors
                          320x240 detector has    76800 sensors   75% less sensors

Best to get  the thermal with a lens with close to the optical zoom you need for the distance you shoot at.
Hopefully a optical zoom lens will hit the market, a nice 2x-6x with a 4x digital zoom thats 48x  
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Pulsar says April-August arrival. That's only an estimate and I don't trust any arrival dates until we actually have the product in hand. The benefit of the larger lens is a longer detection and ID range. Every level of digital zoom decreases your resolution by 50% so look at the base magnification and up to 4X digital zoom for a usable magnification range on a 640 unit. 
View Quote

Any word on pricing?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I pinged Pulsar about color palettes for the Trail, i.e. the same ones as found in the Helion. They said black hot/white hot is all the Trail would ever have and I think it actually only has a black and white ocular display.

What's up with that? The Trail would (almost) be the perfect scope for me if it had the color palettes. I really like the red hot and rainbow palettes when scanning.

I've noticed this on several high end thermal scopes, only black and white. Can anyone offer any insights into why that might be?

Thanks,
-Stooxie
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I pinged Pulsar about color palettes for the Trail, i.e. the same ones as found in the Helion. They said black hot/white hot is all the Trail would ever have and I think it actually only has a black and white ocular display.

What's up with that? The Trail would (almost) be the perfect scope for me if it had the color palettes. I really like the red hot and rainbow palettes when scanning.

I've noticed this on several high end thermal scopes, only black and white. Can anyone offer any insights into why that might be?

Thanks,
-Stooxie
View Quote

It has full colour palettes. i saw at shooting show.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It has full colour palettes. i saw at shooting show.
View Quote

Well, I certainly hope you're right, but I've received two communications directly from Pulsar-nv saying that it will be BW only. Here they are:

"Hi, at present we are not planning to introduce color palettes in Trail series. The grey scale colors in Trail are optimized for detection and identification in order to provide sure selection of correct game, and avoiding accidents connected with wrong identification of the target. Each color palette needs optimization to provide best possible target identification."

"If bought the TRAIL XP50 it will always have only "Hot Black and Hot White". These colors are the only possible for TRAIL."

The first response was to my question of whether or not the Trail had the same color palettes as the Helion. The second response was to my question of whether or not it was even possible (i.e. black and white only display).

Again, it seems the HELION has the color palettes, and TRAIL does not.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Well, I certainly hope you're right, but I've received two communications directly from Pulsar-nv saying that it will be BW only. Here they are:

"Hi, at present we are not planning to introduce color palettes in Trail series. The grey scale colors in Trail are optimized for detection and identification in order to provide sure selection of correct game, and avoiding accidents connected with wrong identification of the target. Each color palette needs optimization to provide best possible target identification."

"If bought the TRAIL XP50 it will always have only "Hot Black and Hot White". These colors are the only possible for TRAIL."

The first response was to my question of whether or not the Trail had the same color palettes as the Helion. The second response was to my question of whether or not it was even possible (i.e. black and white only display).

Again, it seems the HELION has the color palettes, and TRAIL does not.

-Stooxie
View Quote

Hmm. i picked up both and looked through both so maybe you are right. it could have been the helion. I wouldnt worry though as i find colour pallets not as good as the black and white hot modes. Sepia is the next best. everything else isnt worth it. Im thinking of going for the Helion anyway. Going to use Gen 3 on the gun as i find that i can see way more with NV. Now just need to decide if i go for the front mounted or dedicated unit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I really like the change of lenses, on the handheld you can swap between 28 and 50 on the fly!

Long and short work, hope that the latency between wifi and unit is not too high.
Using the external screen a lot...

The trail with rangefinder would be the killer!
Holding some spare $$s
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Pulsar Trail XP50 1.6x optical magnification.

50 yards

100 yards

150 yards
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#47]

Totally useless for small game though. That why im going to use as a spotter. Shoot with something Gen 3.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Zoom
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Totally useless for small game though. That why im going to use as a spotter. Shoot with something Gen 3.
View Quote

You can still zoom in on the target.  That is just the optical magnification.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You can still zoom in on the target.  That is just the optical magnification.
View Quote

not really much use though. doubl is 3.2 and then after that your in to 160x120 pixels...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top