Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, here are some more collected thoughts about my two devices. I am just a Joe average consumer who loves to hunt deer when I can and doesn't love tracking them. I shoot 308, 6.8 SPC and crossbow. My notes below are just things that catch my eye, they may or may not be important to someone else.

Helion XP38

Comes with a pretty nice padded case with no "Made in China" sticker. In fact I'm find of amazed at how nice the case is. No frayed edges, soft material inside, with a webbing to store accessories, nice "Pulsar" tag on it. Not sure there's actually enough room in that webbing for anything besides a lens cloth. Charger, plug and cable would fit but I wouldn't feel comfortable wedging it in there.

The unit itself feels incredibly solid and compact in the hand. It's quite light in an overall sense but it's very dense for its size, lending to that solid feel. Just tapping on the unit with a finger results in no resonance or vibration. Just solid. It is all polymer with a single unit for the body and basically an ocular cap and an objective cap. Not sure how to describe the plastic, it has a stoney feel to it, almost cold in the hand. It's clearly a dense material. I don't find anything "toyish" or cheap looking about it. Lens cap is solid and clicks into place. Manual focus is smooth and tight, as is the ocular focus. Practical length is 8 3/8 inches. Width x depth without the strap is 2"x2.25"

Buttons feel good, the rubber caps feel like they'll last and there's enough resistance to the buttons to prevent accidental presses without them being just hard to press. The radiator thing for heat dissipation (I assume for the processor) gets warm which indicates it's doing its job. IR thermometer shows 105 degrees in 80 degree ambient weather. Handle feels nice, nothing cheap feeling about it.

The battery is light and solidly locks into place. It lasts quite a while, I'm still on my first charge.

Startup time is about 8 seconds from pressing the power button to getting a thermal image. The NUC shutter update takes 1.3 seconds. The view finder image is vibrant and sharp, no complaints at all. Easy to adjust the ocular focus for a sharp image. You have to align your eye a bit to get the whole screen clearly.

All the features work as advertised, except for audio on the recording which is apparently still an upcoming firmware update. The Streamvision app works well and has been updated once in the last 12 weeks. No trouble connecting to the unit with Wifi. The app lets you manage pretty much everything, including the on board file system and all the settings, and firmware updates. Also allows you to set the time from your phone.

I like the 50hz refresh rate. Very smooth, you can see birds flapping their wings, exhaust from cars, any kind of movement. The image quality is terrific, and the brightness and contrast settings work well -- meaning they make a material difference to the image and are useful. I don't get quite as much difference between the "Rocks, forest and ID" settings, it seems rather subtle. It seems to be a contrast macro and probably also adjusts the gamma as well. I tend to leave it on Rocks. I'll have to play around with those settings more.

One function I find myself using quite frequently is the Up button short press macro that switches between the black hot palette and the color palettes. It find the color palettes much more useful for distinguishing actual differences in heat signature while the B/W palettes are more useful for seeing the whole scene.

For being 17 micron in a world where others are moving on to 12, I have to say, this seems like a big improvement over my previous 17 micron devices (Zeus Pro 640 and FLIR LS-X). It's a super sharp and detailed image without being pixelated at all.

Trail XP50

Repeat everything above.

The case is really nice. About 16" long, has more than enough room for the scope and all accessories.

Thoughtful placement of the controls and focus knob, makes sense for adjustment in the field when mounted. Power button is on the right side, focus knob is on top. Doesn't take much turning of the knob to go through a big range of focus.

I did replace the crazy long mount with the one from Ultimate Night Vision which looks so much better and is lighter. The OEM mount has two sets of mounting holes which allow the adjustment of forward placement if the rifle doesn't not have a long rail. Not an issue with the AR platform.

The eye cup rubber boot thingy is 2.25 inches long. I feel like that's mighty long! I know, it's so you don't get whacked in the eye from the recoil but I feel like an inch shorter would be better.

The white hot palette is damned impressive. Actually both black hot and white hot are. As a scope this thing is crazy, even in 76 degree weather with 78% humidity I have a perfect image. I can see every letter on license plates from cars driving by, I can see blades of grass on the lawn, I can see leaves in trees. As I said above, like watching a black a white TV of a regular light image. Uncanny!

Actually, I was playing with it just now and the road and rooves were too contrasty so the image was getting a bit hard to see. I switched from "Rocks" to "Forest" and that cleared right up.

I like the reticles, too. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a "No reticle" option, but you can get it down to just a tiny dot in the middle. The unit is smart enough to XOR (or NOT) the color as well so if you choose a black dot it will be white over black and black over white. It's all grayscale so it's not piercing to the eye. My favorite reticle is the German 4A style with the little dot in the middle. Perfectly emulates the illuminated 4A reticles on my regular scopes. I haven't done any shooting with it.

I guess that's it for now. Pulsar got these things impressively right for an initial release.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm running the XP38 trail myself and have been very pleased with this scope. I also own Armasight, IRD and FLIR brand scopes the XP38 is one of my favorite two scopes ever. It's just a great performing and well thought out model from pulsar. I was waiting to buy a new FLIR 12 micron scope, but after they were delayed I bought the XP38 instead for now. I consider it a stroke of luck becuase the new Trail is just awesome.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:26:40 AM EDT
[#4]
shot you a note Terry
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Any chance pulsar may make a shuttered eye guard for the Trail models? Every time we take the Xp38's it looks like we are shining flashlights on ourseveles.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I have PVS- 14 shuttered eye guards on all my IRD stuff. It's nice to leave scope powered on when you have it sling attached and not have light reflecting all over your body when moving. Same for when you lift rifle to your eye and white light paints your face. The screen off feature helps a ton , but I still would like a shutter eye guard as well. I've seen several critter spot by buddy because of the OLED screen light reflecting off him.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have PVS- 14 shuttered eye guards on all my IRD stuff. It's nice to leave scope powered on when you have it sling attached and not have light reflecting all over your body when moving. Same for when you lift rifle to your eye and white light paints your face. The screen off feature helps a ton , but I still would like a shutter eye guard as well. I've seen several critter spot by buddy because of the OLED screen light reflecting off him.
View Quote
amber filter is a good option
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#13]
O.K. I'll bite... when will they be up on the website?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll be watching for them. I suspect they will be listed in the "accessories" section?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:09:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes, the screen off feature works pretty well, but still puts off a little bit of light. I wonder if you could stretch out a PVS-14 shuttered eye cup and secure it with a zip tie. I don't have one on hand otherwise I would try it.

Here's another 15 hogs down from Thursday night with the XP38

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4210/35515012806_0424b92b86_c.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, the screen off feature works pretty well, but still puts off a little bit of light. I wonder if you could stretch out a PVS-14 shuttered eye cup and secure it with a zip tie. I don't have one on hand otherwise I would try it.

Here's another 15 hogs down from Thursday night with the XP38

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4210/35515012806_0424b92b86_c.jpg
14 eye cups are too small id. eyepiece ring on xp50 measures 4.5mm and around 4.3mm on inside ring where eyecup sits. the one i have has a plastic ring so it cant stretch over

i see your focus knob screw cover is missing
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Are the custom Pulsar Trail cases in stock? I don't see them listed as being in stock, just 7-14 days if not in stock.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:50:24 AM EDT
[#21]
PVS 15 filters fit perfect

Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Anybody selling extra batteries for the Trail?  I'd like to get an extra rechargeable one as well as one of the talked about battery cartridges that takes the disposable 123A batteries.  Haven't seen them listed for sale anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've resorted to using the black cloth bag that my FLIR handheld is stored in as a eye-piece sock... I walk/stalk using the FLIR or PVS14 then remove the sock when approaching a shot.  Not ideal.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Looks like we ran out. Sorry about that. We have another 50 or so arriving within the week. 

Regarding extra batteries we have them on order and first units are supposed to ship to us this month.   

Standard mount vs DLOC-PTM
http://unvcorp.com/images/productpages/ZRO%20Delta/PTM/DLOC-PTM-vs-Standard.jpg
View Quote
What's the deal with the new QD lever mount Sellmark announced yesterday?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#26]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdktwqwWnkI

New, smaller throw lever mount that is supposed to be "return to zero". The new smaller mount is supposed to be available "30-60" days from the first week of July 2017. The mount is shown in the video link above, along with the first, longer version. Looks like both mounts are included in the box.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Anybody selling extra batteries for the Trail?  I'd like to get an extra rechargeable one as well as one of the talked about battery cartridges that takes the disposable 123A batteries.  Haven't seen them listed for sale anywhere.
View Quote
My question as well.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Extra ISP5 batteries are scheduled to be arriving in the next 30-60 days. No word on the ISP10 or the battery that takes CR123As. 
View Quote
This is looking like a great option.

Your website shows out of stock.

What's your ETA?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Does the sound work on the recordings yet?

Does the XP50 buffer video and save it after a shot (shot activated recording), or do you have to turn it on when you want to record?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Cool! Any word on the IPS10?

It would be beyond awesome if they had a holder for 18650 batteries. I think that's actually what's in the IPS5, but perhaps there's not enough room to make them removable.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#33]
What is the housing made out of on these units?   I have an hd38a and like it a lot but it seems a little fragile.  If there is an issue with an optic Sellmark handles all the warranty/repair work in the US?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
ISP5 batteries in stock as of today.
View Quote
No information on the website.........
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Even with the corrected name: "IPS5", nothing is listed. When do you guys anticipate posting the item?
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
is it possible to add comments to an order and request some spares?

The XP50 Trail shows out of stock, do you have an ETA?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:40:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Does the sound work on the recordings yet?

Does the XP50 buffer video and save it after a shot (shot activated recording), or do you have to turn it on when you want to record?

Thanks!
View Quote
both features scheduled to be released with a firmware update in august
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks!   Sounds like a good birthday present to myself... (just don't tell my wife)...
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Last night I got to field test the Pulsar XQ38 Trail that I bought from UNV. I'm in love. Previously using the Photon XT w/ UNV IR20 and a hand led Pulsar HD19A. I thought the HD19A was incredibly handy but the xq38 is the shit. Our second rifle was equipped with a 640 core ATN thor and while the images on the ATN looked better, the ATN was almost unusable compared to the intuitiveness and convenience of the Pulsar. If you are considering the jump, don't wait. Now I need to save some funds for one of the new handhelds. Thanks UNV!
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Since the Orion filters seem to be unobtanium for the 222-150 model, can someone in the know cross reference that to another mfg? Wilcox or another mfg?

eta: figured the wilcox part out, still interested in other options if anyone figures them out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Since the Orion filters seem to be unobtanium for the 222-150 model, can someone in the know cross reference that to another mfg? Wilcox or another mfg?

eta: figured the wilcox part out, still interested in other options if anyone figures them out.
View Quote
reports of the wilcox not working good for this, couple people tried them after i posted the info. i have problems with the eye ring that threads in falling off of my xp50

anyone run any of the trails on a Scar 17?
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top