Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2016 9:48:03 AM EDT

I ordered an NSP-3 from Apex

https://www.apexgunparts.com/night-vision-nsp-3-scope-w-transit-case-acc-vg-to-ex.html

And it does not work.  So I figured that would be the case and started poking around a bit last night.

The unit does power up, but it is crowbaring the input voltage.  I tried both a DC supply and (3) D-cell batteries.

The tube does give a short flash just before each 'tick'.

This appears to be a common failure for these as I have found at least one other purchaser describing the same problem.

Any hints by any SMEs would be appreciated.

My next move will probably be to check the power output of the multiplier circuit with no load and then with a simulated load.  If the output looks good then I will have to assume it is a tube problem, which would likely end this project as I doubt a replacement tube can be sourced.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#1]
This guy:
http://www.kalashnikov.org.uk/accessories/Page_1x.html

Has a pretty in-depth webpage about Russian NVD and sells some parts. He may be able to help?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Thanks!

I had found his NSP-3 page, did not realize he sold parts.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was it sold as a collectible or something?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The ad says...

Polish NSP-3 night scope, 1st Generation Passive, comes with steel transit case and accessories *Condition Very Good to Excellent* not guaranteed to function.

Night vision capabilities have NOT been tested or verified as functional.

NIGHT VISION is SOLD AS-IS and NO RETURNS accepted

So, yeah...or something.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

They were sold "not guaranteed to function"
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]

I got the tube pulled apart as much as I think I can this evening.

I have some hope that there may be a bad junction on the first two high voltage connections to the tube.  Note the condition (blackened) of the two connections closest to the camera vs the others.

Also note the condition of the connection of the red wire nearest the camera.

I am going to re-cut and re-solder these connections, clean up the clamps and tube connections, use some corona paint on anything that looks exposed, and button it all back up and try it again.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Hooked everything up external to the scope tonight and powered it up.

Got a different noise this time...more of a bad connection sparkle than the repeating tick tick tick.

I will try the corona paint on some areas I think may have short issues and button it back up and try it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Thats a pretty cool project you have. Fingers crossed that 1) you maintain your patience, and 2) you get it to work!
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Sometimes that tick tick tick and tube strobing is the high light cutoff circuit. Not sure if yours has one but the 1pn34s do.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 12:40:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Interesting, H.

I tested the unit per the totally dark specs.  Polarizing filter at max dark and tri selector at max dark.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top