Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2016 1:47:41 PM EDT
I have two IR lasers that are used exclusively on handguns, a Surefire X400v and a Streamlight TLR-2 IR.  There is way too much bloom present for my taste at handgun distances, even with the illuminators.   I'd like to fabricate something similar to the neutral density filter on my ATPIAL-C.  Can anyone tell me what the specs are for the ND filters on ATPIALs and DBALs?  Is the filter plastic or glass?  Is there a source for the raw material?  What numerical specs should I look for?  I've searched flea bay and found lots of camera filters but don't know exactly what I should be looking for.  I could always purchase a filter for the DBAL or ATPIAL but that seems like an expensive route to take for something I'm going to cut apart for the bean sized piece of filter.  I'd like to find a small sheet of the material and then cut to size.  Can anyone give me some guidance?  Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you considered using a filter on your nods. Here's a recent thread that discussed this. I purchased a couple of the filters and they work great. Just an easier solution if I understand what you trying to achieve.

Filter thread link
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd actually like to know where to get ND filter covers for my DBAL A3 or an ATPIAL. The cap over the lasers looks like it might be, but its solid.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a n ND-8 glass camera filter of eBay and removed the filter material from the threaded ring and then used a stained glass cutter to trim it to the size i wanted.  I made a kydex "cap" for a UNI-IR that clips over it and holds the filter material in front of the laser's aperture.  Hardest part was finding a suitable adhesive that would bond to the smooth side of the kydex and the filter material.    Worked well for me.  

I use the 850nm IR filters and replace the front lens of Streamlight TLR-IR and TL2-IR illuminators to cut the dull red glow that used to spook deer (who in turn spooked the pigs).  The ND-8 and 850IR filters are not the same thing.  

Alternatively, you might contact Ident Marking to see if they would be willing to install the filter modification they do for CT Rail Masters and UNI-IR to reduce the bloom.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I've found some "resin-based" 100mm x 150mm sheets of ND-16 and ND-32 for around $15 a pop on flea bay.  I think I'll order some of those and start tinkering.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd actually like to know where to get ND filter covers for my DBAL A3 or an ATPIAL. The cap over the lasers looks like it might be, but its solid.
View Quote
https://tnvc.com/shop/laser-neutral-density-filter/

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought a n ND-8 glass camera filter of eBay and removed the filter material from the threaded ring and then used a stained glass cutter to trim it to the size i wanted.  I made a kydex "cap" for a UNI-IR that clips over it and holds the filter material in front of the laser's aperture.  Hardest part was finding a suitable adhesive that would bond to the smooth side of the kydex and the filter material.    Worked well for me.  

I use the 850nm IR filters and replace the front lens of Streamlight TLR-IR and TL2-IR illuminators to cut the dull red glow that used to spook deer (who in turn spooked the pigs).  The ND-8 and 850IR filters are not the same thing.  

Alternatively, you might contact Ident Marking to see if they would be willing to install the filter modification they do for CT Rail Masters and UNI-IR to reduce the bloom.

View Quote

You have any pictures of this?  I'd really appreciate seeing them!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Evidently photobucket is also being attacked by Russia right now and is refusing to upload my pics.  E-mail sent.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://tnvc.com/shop/laser-neutral-density-filter/

awesome. I've googled and can't find such a replacement item for a Atpial aiming laser. any leads?

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm in the same boat.

I was going to try a sliver of stick-on window tint first, but please keep us all in the loop on your experimenting!

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a 58mm neutral density ND-8 filter on eBay and it was a glass filter material.  After removing the filter from the threaded rim, I used a glass cutter to cut little pieces out.  Then glued them to the inside of a piece of formed Kydex.

These pics show the first version I made.  On subsequent versions, I made the piece of kydex completely cover the rear of the laser unit.  I usually mount this laser on the top rail, so the rear of the kydex now covers the screws and rear to give the water resistant housing a roof.

Edited to add- photobucket blows goats early and often.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought a 58mm neutral density ND-8 filter on eBay and it was a glass filter material.  After removing the filter from the threaded rim, I used a glass cutter to cut little pieces out.  Then glued them to the inside of a piece of formed Kydex.
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/ncorry/Back%20Inside.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/ncorry/Top%20Mounted.jpg

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m548/ncorry/Front%20Close.jpg

These pics show the first version I made.  On subsequent versions, I made the piece of kydex completely cover the rear of the laser unit.  I usually mount this laser on the top rail, so the rear of the kydex now covers the screws and rear to give the water resistant housing a roof.
View Quote

Thanks!  Really appreciate it.  I bought some steiner ND filters from tnvc but am still working on how to best mount them on the same laser.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#12]
A quick update for anyone who's interested.   The ND-16 sheet arrived earlier in the week.  The TLR-2 IR has a recessed area about 10mm over the laser lens.  I cut and trimmed a circular piece of the ND-16 the same size.  The ND-16 is essentially a sheet of plastic.  I did all the work with a hacksaw and the rotary sanding drum on my Dremel.  It was a piece of cake and took maybe 10 minutes.  My ND-16 disc fit perfectly in the opening.  Tried it out in the backyard and the bloom was gone.  The only down side was that with the illuminator, the ND-16 is almost too effective.  It was very hard to pick up the laser dot.  I may order a sheet of ND-8 and see if it is a better compromise.  I'll secure it with a couple drops of hot glue.

The Surefire was a little trickier.  I tried to form a piece of the ND-16 to fit over the laser aperture.  This does not work.  It seems I totally screwed up the optical qualities of the resin when I heated and formed it.  Instead of a "dot" I ended up with a "smear."   LOL  Back to the drawing board.

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A quick update for anyone who's interested.   The ND-16 sheet arrived earlier in the week.  The TLR-2 IR has a recessed area about 10mm over the laser lens.  I cut and trimmed a circular piece of the ND-16 the same size.  The ND-16 is essentially a sheet of plastic.  I did all the work with a hacksaw and the rotary sanding drum on my Dremel.  It was a piece of cake and took maybe 10 minutes.  My ND-16 disc fit perfectly in the opening.  Tried it out in the backyard and the bloom was gone.  The only down side was that with the illuminator, the ND-16 is almost too effective.  It was very hard to pick up the laser dot.  I may order a sheet of ND-8 and see if it is a better compromise.  I'll secure it with a couple drops of hot glue.

The Surefire was a little trickier.  I tried to form a piece of the ND-16 to fit over the laser aperture.  This does not work.  It seems I totally screwed up the optical qualities of the resin when I heated and formed it.  Instead of a "dot" I ended up with a "smear."   LOL  Back to the drawing board.

View Quote

No help for you on the Surefire, but when I was testing mine out, I tried ND-16 and ND-4 before figuring out that, at least for my G3 PVS14 and tastes, the ND-8 was perfect.  I was using mine to hunt so was always outside.  It would bloom if I shined it at 10 yards, but everything from 10-150 yards it was pretty much a perfect circle/ dot.  It was obviously harder to see when using IR, but still easy to pick up.  While trying out the various ND filters, I had thought about attempting to put a rheostat (or potentiometer?) inline in the LaserMax UNI's remote switch so I could dial the power up and down but the ND-8 was the sweet spot for me.  As I said, for me, it was hunting only, so my night time rig had two UNIs on it- red and IR.  With the 30mm or 30.5mm 720nm IR bypass filter on the front lens of the PVS14, the red was a very, very muted fine dot out to 40 or 50 yards with no IR illumination, and the IR laser was used for everything else.  I've never had a pig freak out from the red laser dot.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No help for you on the Surefire, but when I was testing mine out, I tried ND-16 and ND-4 before figuring out that, at least for my G3 PVS14 and tastes, the ND-8 was perfect.  I was using mine to hunt so was always outside.  It would bloom if I shined it at 10 yards, but everything from 10-150 yards it was pretty much a perfect circle/ dot.  It was obviously harder to see when using IR, but still easy to pick up.  While trying out the various ND filters, I had thought about attempting to put a rheostat (or potentiometer?) inline in the LaserMax UNI's remote switch so I could dial the power up and down but the ND-8 was the sweet spot for me.  As I said, for me, it was hunting only, so my night time rig had two UNIs on it- red and IR.  With the 30mm or 30.5mm 720nm IR bypass filter on the front lens of the PVS14, the red was a very, very muted fine dot out to 40 or 50 yards with no IR illumination, and the IR laser was used for everything else.  I've never had a pig freak out from the red laser dot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ND-8 is likely what I'll try next.  These lasers are used exclusively on pistols. For me, that means 25 yards or less.  I need to get out to the range and see how easy/hard that dot is to pick up when using the illuminator.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top