Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2016 8:30:32 PM EDT

I do not want to buy a $1k+ helmet for this.

What are my sub $500 options?

I don't want a helmet at all if possible, but something better than a skull-crusher would be nice.

TIA
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I don't want a helmet at all if possible, but something better than a skull-crusher would be nice.

TIA
View Quote

First place i would say to start is the Crye NightCap.  Basically a mix between a baseball cap and a skull crusher. I have one and I find it to be very comfortable.

It's about $100, IIRC.

https://tnvc.com/shop/crye-precision-nightcap™-nvg-platform/

https://www.cryeprecision.com/ProductDetail/acchn102000_nightcap
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#2]
After using helmets for a LONG time I decided to give the Crye Nightcap a try when they came out a couple years ago.  I have since gotten rid of my helmets after not having used them pretty much since the day I got my Nightcap.  It is comfortable the way it comes but I wedged a small piece of additional padding for the forehead and I wear it for hours at a time with no problem.  You will also want a shroud, mount, and counterweight.  I use a wilcox skeleton shroud, rhino 2 mount, EOG low profile short counterweight, wilcox lanyard, and princeton tec switch light.  There is nothing I would change about my setup, I love it and use it a lot.  All that can be had for well under $500 and is extremely portable.  You can fold it up and stick it in the green canvas bag that comes w/ the NVD.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

Should I get the weapon mount TNVC sells for the PVS or save that cash and get an IR laser for the rifle?
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

Should I get the weapon mount TNVC sells for the PVS or save that cash and get an IR laser for the rifle?
View Quote

I'd buy an IR laser for it.  Weapon mounting a PVS-14 has more drawbacks than benefits in most situations.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'd buy an IR laser for it.  Weapon mounting a PVS-14 has more drawbacks than benefits in most situations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

This. IR laser, PVS14, good mount (I like the Wilcox G24 myself) and good headgear (nightcap is an excellent start for small money - way more comfortable than a skull crusher, and packs in a pocket - get it, then work your way towards a good helmet - Crye or similar).
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

TIA
View Quote

Pro-tec skateboard helmet.  Plenty of examples on the night vision/helmet thread.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#8]

I fent.

Got the Crye instead of the helmet.

Got the L4.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#9]
More Georgian's with night vision! Welcome to the club!
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Howdy,

I will throw my 2 cents in but then again Im a bit biased.

First off I recommend a bump helmet over a night cap any night, the benefits are protection, a solid lock up between shroud and mount with no shifting or wobble during dynamic stuff you may find yourself doing (running, climbing, driving, bumping into things with decreased spacial awareness. the opscore bump helmet is the route I'd go.
And for a PVS-14 I really feel there is no need to buy a 450$ mount like the G24 as its overkill, the wWlcox L4 G11 is where I would go and it'll save you nearly 200$.

The PVS-14 was designed as a helmet mounted system for the infantry grunt, it works very well inside of its envelope as that, coupled with an IR laser its a formidable system and a serious force multiplier for the foot soldier/Police Officer?Home defender/Nocturnal Hog hunter. having said that getting outside its envelope it doesn't do well. Its not a clip on NVD, it is not collimated and can really only be used behind a NVG compatible zero mag red dot or holo sight. unless you are laid up in a tree stand or on top of a roof I really would not even think about this setup at all.

The Night cap is a toy,
a bump helmet can be used for much more than NV stuff. I have worn mine horseback riding in the Rockies, whitewater rafting, trimming 50 ft oak trees in TX, sailing off shore in heavy seas and high winds, as well as riding ATV's in the hills of GA as a safety precaution.

As always we are here at TNVC to answer any questions you may have.
View Quote

Then why does TNVC sell them?

It's a purpose built night vision mounting hat that is much more comfortable than a standard skull crusher (I've never tried the fancier versions) and much cheaper than a "good" bump helmet. It isn't quite as stable, true, but it IS cooler if you live in a warm environment. It also isn't that hard to add stuff to it like a light or an IR strobe.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't expect you to have seen it in country considering it was released in 2013.

FWIW, I personally own and prefer a bump helmet, but the NiteCap is just fine for most things civis will be using it for plus it's a LOT cheaper and isn't a helmet (a big component of the OP's request).

Quoted:

TIA
View Quote

He was practically begging for you to sell him what I directed him to.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 4:16:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There are plenty of options sub 500$, certainly the nightcap is one of them, but if you can spend a little more your capability gain goes up. as far as dealing with High temp environments I am in N. FL, I hunt in swamps, pine forests and palmetto jungles, it is extremely humid and pretty dang hot the vast majority of the year, a vented helmet such as an opscore works very well with passive cooling. If you like your nightcap great run it like a champ, dont come in here and get into an argument with somebody who is simply giving an opinion after the OP asked for just that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
There are plenty of options sub 500$, certainly the nightcap is one of them, but if you can spend a little more your capability gain goes up. as far as dealing with High temp environments I am in N. FL, I hunt in swamps, pine forests and palmetto jungles, it is extremely humid and pretty dang hot the vast majority of the year, a vented helmet such as an opscore works very well with passive cooling. If you like your nightcap great run it like a champ, dont come in here and get into an argument with somebody who is simply giving an opinion after the OP asked for just that.

OP specifically asked for choices that ARE NOT HELMETS.

Not sure why that is so hard to understand.

Quoted:

the opscore skull mount is probably where I'd look if a helmet is absolutely out of the question.

https://tnvc.com/shop/ops-core-skull-crusher/
Now that is a neat option.

ETA: Sam, my apologies. I'm not upset in any way. I do enjoy a good argument at times.Thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

More Georgian's with night vision! Welcome to the club!
View Quote
Oh yeah!
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:12:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Nightcap does work OK with those "force-to-overcome" flip up mounts, but is best with push button versions. There are push button mounts that take the standard PVS-14 J-arm bayonet interface too, from Norotos at least there's plenty. The new LoSto mounts aren't as bulky as the older ones (which on the other hand you can grab for nothing on eBay).

Edit: and what comes to counterweights that is a personal matter I think. I run mine without when using a monocular, it is steady enough and holds the balance well if you have the lower chin straps tight enough. You don't notice the weight much at all.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For shits and giggles, I built myself a shopping cart:

Cart Items        Item Price Item Total
TNV/PVS-14 L3 Gen3 OMNI VIII   $3,389.00 $3,389.00
Crye Precision Nightcap™ NVG Platform $97.50  $97.50
Wilcox L4 G11 Mount - ARMY    $265.00  $265.00
EOG Low Profile Counter Weight Short  $31.99  $31.99
Wilcox L4 Three Hole Shroud    $113.00 $113.00

Subtotal   $3,896.49
Estimated Shipping $26.32
Tax     $0.00
Total    $3,922.81

How'd I do?
View Quote

PM sent
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So it sounds like the Nitecap + G4 is a good combo. What shroud did you choose, OP? And what made you decide to buy now?
View Quote

I am still discussing the shroud with TNVC cause I am a n00b and forgot to add one to the order.

I got it now as the funds for this purchase were finally freed up when I did not have to spend as much on my TIG purchase as I had planned for.  I have been saving for this for several years.

It's been night-vision week here, as I also got an NSP-3 from Apex to tinker with.

TNVC says it will be a couple of weeks before they deliver the gear, it's kind of like a mini NFA wait.

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I recently picked up a G11 mount, 3 hole shroud, and against sam's recommendation a nightcap.

I have to say, I'm really glad that TNVC sells it, as it is definitely quality and purpose built...simultaneously, I'm really glad that different folks at TNVC articulate their preferences for gear.  Having run with the nightcap for a week or so, I fully agree with Sam's description.

If you must have something to stuff in your pocket, don't want ballistic protection, and aren't doing anything super active, the nightcap works great.  There is definitely movement between the shroud and the cap though, and overall has a lot more play than a helmet.

I think it really depends on how sensitive you are to movement and wobble.  if you want an absolutely rock solid no movement system, where position over the eye is not changing even if you are running - don't get the nightcap.

If you want something for a SHTF fantasy, occasional use, or must have something that stows easily, the nightcap is great.

Personally, I don't see the stow/pocket thing as that big of a benefit.  You will leave your pvs attached to the mount anyway, which fits inside a helmet, so you aren't really saving any room in your pack anyway.  Just my two cents here.

Love the fact that TNVC sells quality stuff , but keeps it real with personal preferences.

-Freq
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Subtotal   $3,896.49
Tax     $0.00
Total    $3,922.81

How'd I do?
View Quote

D_J,
Here's almost that same setup in black if you'd like to see it. The black PVS-14 is a Gen 3 blem from Armasight. The tan setup is the WP L3 filmless from TNVC. The nightcap is my loaner unit and I really like it because you can fit it to anyone in just a few seconds.  That being said, the Ops-Core FAST Carbon bump helmet is much more secure and comfortable.

BTW, if you can scrounge up a few more nickels and step up to the WP filmless, it is freakin' incredible!

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:28:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Impressive setups! I have seen a few threads on WP and looked at a couple of pictures, but really know nothing of the pros/cons vs regular NV. How much extra are we talking and what do you get for it? What are the downsides?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subtotal   $3,896.49
Tax     $0.00
Total    $3,922.81

How'd I do?

D_J,
Here's almost that same setup in black if you'd like to see it. The black PVS-14 is a Gen 3 blem from Armasight. The tan setup is the WP L3 filmless from TNVC. The nightcap is my loaner unit and I really like it because you can fit it to anyone in just a few seconds.  That being said, the Ops-Core FAST Carbon bump helmet is much more secure and comfortable.

BTW, if you can scrounge up a few more nickels and step up to the WP filmless, it is freakin' incredible!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/robertlee3rd/1964CA1C-FD47-4028-8D41-743F319888F4.jpg

Impressive setups! I have seen a few threads on WP and looked at a couple of pictures, but really know nothing of the pros/cons vs regular NV. How much extra are we talking and what do you get for it? What are the downsides?

The WP is $825 more than the one you're looking at. To me, WP is much easier on your eyes and much more natural looking.  The WP is also filmless giving you better clarity and 15-20% more light transfer. I got the green unit first and was amazed how good it was, but the WP is another level better yet. AFAIK, the only downside is the extra cost.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Revision Viper A3.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

If I were to select the OC bump helmet instead of the Nightcap, do I still need the L4 shroud?  The helmet seems to say it has a shroud build it, but I'm not sure if I'm understanding that right.
View Quote
This one? https://tnvc.com/shop/ops-core-fast-base-jump-shell/

The shroud is molded in to the plastic, you would not need an additional shroud.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

How'd I do?
View Quote

I have your exact set up.  I like it.  That said, I'm low speed high drag.  My Nightcap is cooler and more comfortable than my Ops Core, but I don't run or go in places where I need the bump protection (except for that tree branch I didn't quite clear in Yellowstone, ouch!)  I use the Nightcap way more than the helmet now.

If you travel, a helmet is a big item that takes up a lot of room.  I was able to take 3 sets of night vision and 3 Nightcaps to Yellowstone last month in my carry-on.  The kids loved it.  The Nightcap has limitations.  It's much more difficult to hang things (IR illumination, admin light, etc.) off of it.  As far as mounts, the L4G11 is a good mount, but if you're using the Nightcap that "force to overcome" mount is against your head.  If I had a do-over I might get a push button mount like the G24.  As a recreational user it's not necessary, but it does improve overall comfort.

I'm looking forward to receiving my Ops Core 4D liner from TNVC later this week.  I won't be able to use it much until the 15th or so, and I'll report back then if it makes that much of a difference for me.  Good luck with your purchase decision!
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#36]
My advice is that the good helmet can come later.

get to the dovetail mount now. Do not invest in and get stuck with the bayonet j arms and mounts. They suck. I am dealing with so much legacy bullshit that i just need to replace but don't want to go back and spend the $600 dollars all over again.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Which one is the dovetail?  The G24?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My advice is that the good helmet can come later.

get to the dovetail mount now. Do not invest in and get stuck with the bayonet j arms and mounts. They suck. I am dealing with so much legacy bullshit that i just need to replace but don't want to go back and spend the $600 dollars all over again.

Which one is the dovetail?  The G24?

Yup & get a Norotos Dual Dovetail Adapter to go with it. The horizontal adjustment is tits. It helps get that green ball as close to the center of your vision as possible and lets one eye take over for the other, which helps reduce eye strain a bit. Your eyes are still going to go bonkers after an hour or two, but it helps
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#39]

OK, I got the Crye nightcap and the L4 shroud, the L4-G11 mount, and mounted everything up.

I have the horizontal spacing on the G11 maxed out and the ocular lens is still way too close for my glasses.  I can see through OK, but this is not ideal.

I also cannot get the rotational angle exactly correct for the height of the mount, so I am a bit Marty Feldman.

Fit and hold is OK, I even did some burpees and ran around a bit (woah that's weird) and it stayed put OK, but it kept bumping into my nose and glasses.

This is bare-ended without the eye cup.

Are there longer mounts, horizontally?

Am I doing something wrong?
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Check out the EE or ebay for used bump helmets. I just bid on a used protec bravo halfshell and got it for $30 shipped. I bought a used opscore dial kit that I may try to retrofit in the protec also. Paid $30 for the dial kit. I think for head mounting some type of helmet is the best option.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#41]

I glared at it a while and figured out I had not properly aligned the rotational joint, that helped with the eye alignment a lot.

I then cut up some foam padding I had and added it behind the forehead pad to get a bit more offset and I am happy with the result.

Adding the foam got me the eye relief I needed for my glasses.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 1:04:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The WP is $825 more than the one you're looking at. To me, WP is much easier on your eyes and much more natural looking.  The WP is also filmless giving you better clarity and 15-20% more light transfer. I got the green unit first and was amazed how good it was, but the WP is another level better yet. AFAIK, the only downside is the extra cost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Subtotal   $3,896.49
Tax     $0.00
Total    $3,922.81

How'd I do?

D_J,

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/robertlee3rd/1964CA1C-FD47-4028-8D41-743F319888F4.jpg

Do you a source to support the 15-20% more light transfer claim? Isn't WP just a different color?
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 1:24:54 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Do you a source to support the 15-20% more light transfer claim? Isn't WP just a different color?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<tree pruning>

Highlighted the important part for the extra light transfer. I think the Omni VIII unit linked was thin-filmed, so not sure on the increase from thin-filmed to unfilmed, but it makes a difference.

I'm sure one of the TNVC guys Will be by to drop knowledge on us (still waiting on my TNV/PVS-14, type less build faster ), but there is a definite improvement in light transfer.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 1:36:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 3:41:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Highlighted the important part for the extra light transfer. I think the Omni VIII unit linked was thin-filmed, so not sure on the increase from thin-filmed to unfilmed, but it makes a difference.

I'm sure one of the TNVC guys Will be by to drop knowledge on us (still waiting on my TNV/PVS-14, type less build faster ), but there is a definite improvement in light transfer.
View Quote

Thank you. I understand. I didn't see that the green L3 tube originally mentioned was thinned filmed, I saw that it was L3 and assumed it was filmless. I've no doubts about the extra light transfer.

DJ I'd get the WP tube the specs on those as late have been mind blowingly good.  It would very likely be worth the $.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top