Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2016 12:57:23 PM EDT

ATN has released a major firmware upgrade for their ThOR HD 384 & 640 thermal rifle scopes. Color palette choices are: White hot, Black Hot , Red hot, Green hot, Fusion, Glowbow, Ironbow, Rainbow and Rain.

The .676 firmware includes:

FW Update - THOR HD (Thermal Rifle Scope)

Release notes:

New Features:

Contrast adjustment in shortcut and menu

Quick NUC on POWER button

Sensor sensitivity adjustments

Color palettes

Metering Mode

Import/Export profiles

Indicator for the external power supply

Ballistic calculator

Smart Shooting Solutions

Improved image quality/resolution

ATN Update center link

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You beat me to it! Ha!

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You beat me to it! Ha!

View Quote

Well, I didn't take a half mile walk last night.

They've added Thermal Sensitivity (High, Medium & Low), Metering Mode (Center or Matrix), 5 contrast levels changeable via the scope quick access point and 7  C O L O R  palettes in addition to the White Hot and Black Hot.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:44:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I did the install last night. So far I really like the improvements! Have you got to play with the metering yet?

The power button NUC is the best part of the upgrade.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I did the install last night. So far I really like the improvements! Have you got to play with the metering yet?

The power button NUC is the best part of the upgrade.
View Quote

I've played with it some. The metering in conjunction with the thermal sensitivity and contrast give you the combined ability to adjust to changes in humidity, day vs night, etc.

Right now it's 86 degrees and humidity is 46%. By 10 PM it will be 72 degrees and the humidity will push north of 85% because the clear sky allows the moisture to be driven higher into the atmosphere during the day but as the temperature drops and the atmosphere cools off, the moisture drops and our humidity doubles.

It's nowhere NEAR as severe as what you experience in GA!

ETA: Matrix metering mode seems to work better with complex areas where there are trees, bushes, open areas across a variety of depths. Center metering mode seems to work better where there is a more "planar" view (i.e. trees on the horizon line)

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I installed the update and love the new features, I did not have much time to go thru everything but I did notice one issue in that I now have no recticles and can't access them through the menu. I will have some time over the weekend to explore more, but has this happened to anyone else after updating the firmware?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I installed the update and love the new features, I did not have much time to go thru everything but I did notice one issue in that I now have no recticles and can't access them through the menu. I will have some time over the weekend to explore more, but has this happened to anyone else after updating the firmware?
View Quote

Let's tick off some things

1) If you have the scope sighted in - have you copied your profiles to the SD card so you have your zero saved?

2) If you've got you zero backed up or written down - did you do a "Restore factory settings" yet?

3) After you do a "Restore factory settings" there is a default reticle set as part of that process - do you see a reticle after "Restore factory settings" is done?

4) To chooser a reticle Systems Settings --> Disply --> Reticle Style --> Shape  takes you to where you choose the Reticle

5) Systems Settings --> Disply --> Reticle Style --> Color  let's you pick your reticle color - so a Red reticle with Red hot or Glowbow would be almost impossible to see

If this doesn't work, let me know.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

1) If you have the scope sighted in - have you copied your profiles to the SD card so you have your zero saved?
2) If you've got you zero backed up or written down - did you do a "Restore factory settings" yet?
3) After you do a "Restore factory settings" there is a default reticle set as part of that process - do you see a reticle after "Restore factory settings" is done?
4) To chooser a reticle Systems Settings --> Disply --> Reticle Style --> Shape  takes you to where you choose the Reticle
5) Systems Settings --> Disply --> Reticle Style --> Color  let's you pick your reticle color - so a Red reticle with Red hot or Glowbow would be almost impossible to see

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, just got home and will give your suggestions a shot and will let you know the outcome.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#8]
One thing I missed - Are the batteries fully charged?
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One thing I missed - Are the batteries fully charged?
View Quote

Yes, new batteries. I went thru your suggestions and ended up factory resetting it and all is 100% working now. I will get out in a week or so to verify  zero, but am not worried if it is off as I will be using a different load then I used to sight it in with.
Thanks for the help, now got to get a piggy with it
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

ATN has released a major firmware upgrade for their ThOR HD 384 & 640 thermal rifle scopes. Color palette choices are: White hot, Black Hot , Red hot, Green hot, Fusion, Glowbow, Ironbow, Rainbow and Rain.

The .676 firmware includes:

FW Update - THOR HD (Thermal Rifle Scope)
Release notes:

New Features:

Contrast adjustment in shortcut and menu

Quick NUC on POWER button

Sensor sensitivity adjustments

Color palettes

Metering Mode

Import/Export profiles

Indicator for the external power supply

Ballistic calculator

Smart Shooting Solutions

Improved image quality/resolution

ATN Update center link

https://www.atncorp.com/firmware

View Quote

Nice improvements!  

Hope they keep them coming, as the firmware gets further refined the limit will be the hardware.
Glad they are doing better tickling the keyboard to keep the juice flowing as the detector still has plenty of juice to offer.
But keep in mind what sets each company apart is how well they process the image from the detector.
The capability of the detectors are very close to each other, none has a distinct advantage over the other.
Smaller pitch core smaller lenses lower cost. 12u is the king so far in the consumer market.
The price per performance of the ATN units with the newer firmware is pulling at my pocket, but min specs I want is 640 50mm but max price I want to pay is $4000.
ATN is getting there and very soon I expect them to have my $$$$$

A few years back this was a $10K thermal not to mention the recording and other features other thermals don't have.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Nice improvements!  

Hope they keep them coming, as the firmware gets further refined the limit will be the hardware.

Glad they are doing better tickling the keyboard to keep the juice flowing as the detector still has plenty of juice to offer.

But keep in mind what sets each company apart is how well they process the image from the detector.

The capability of the detectors are very close to each other, none has a distinct advantage over the other.

Smaller pitch core smaller lenses lower cost. 12u is the king so far in the consumer market.

The price per performance of the ATN units with the newer firmware is pulling at my pocket, but min specs I want is 640 50mm but max price I want to pay is $4000.

A few years back this was a $10K thermal not to mention the recording and other features other thermals don't have.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice improvements!  

I think you are likely going to have to wait a year or find one hell of a Black Friday sale to get a 20% off of list price.

I popped a nuisance varmint last night and it's nice to have video to review and be able to verify, "Yep, I got him."
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Black Friday is nearing

Yep video is nice especially built into unit, I have a DVR on my 336 75mm along with a 2 18650 pack I made.
So recording for me is a simple switch on the side of the thermal and 6+ hour runtime from battery pack.
So no hurry to buy, plus no critters causing local farmers problems so haven't been out in a while.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#13]
We popped two pigs over the weekend with mine. Posting video right now. This last update made a huge difference in the scope.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Co worker went and got his unit from the house today.  I updated it and the improvements are amazing.  Actually starting to think they are worth the price tag.  I was fairly underwhelmed when I very first used his.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#15]
So these photos are from 5 yards (in our office) free hand.  Medium Thermal set to Medium / Center Meter Mode / Auto Contrast

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Yea, the last firmware update made this scope a contender in the thermal market for us weekend warrior types.

Now lets just see how durable ATN made it
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yea, the last firmware update made this scope a contender in the thermal market for us weekend warrior types.

Now lets just see how durable ATN made it
View Quote

There is someone looking for feedback on tha ATN ThOR HD 384 1.5 - 5X over on this link:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/469220_Help_me_compare_these_two_intro_thermal_scopes.html

Thought you might be the better person to give him feedback since you own that model.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:07:51 PM EDT
[#18]
does anyone know what the factory distance settings are for the crossbow reticle?

one area where I'll have the most opportunity to test it out I'd more than likely have to use my crossbow. No rifle, without going guided and a hassle for me, and this thermal doesn't handle the recoil of a shotgun unfortunately or else I'd be able to test it out pretty often! So a crossbow is my best bet with my limited options. thank you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

does anyone know what the factory distance settings are for the crossbow reticle?

one area where I'll have the most opportunity to test it out I'd more than likely have to use my crossbow. No rifle, without going guided and a hassle for me, and this thermal doesn't handle the recoil of a shotgun unfortunately or else I'd be able to test it out pretty often! So a crossbow is my best bet with my limited options. thank you.
View Quote

My recommendation would be to test it yourself. Even with BDC scopes which are set up for a 55 grain FMJBT, I still verify my results rather than trusting the scope will be perfectly consistent.

I am planning on sighting my ThOR in on a crossbow, I haven't had time and won't for another 9 - 10 days.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top