Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2016 9:05:26 AM EDT
I've got a neighbor that just purchased a 357 airgun.  He plans to use it for varmint elimination day and night.  I suspect most of his shots will be around 50 yards, but he'll need to be able to see farther than that to get the gun on target.  I'm pretty sure he's going to go with a Flir handheld for detection, but he's looking to maximize versatility and minimize cost.

I've told him a good quality PVS-14 and an IR laser would be my choice.  He could have a full setup on a Crye nightcap for about $4k if shopped around.  Then he'd be able to use it for other purposes.

He still wants a clip on.  

Anybody have any experience with shorter range optics for this type of application?  While I've limited personal experience with their products, I've told him what I've read about ATN.  As Armasight has been purchased by FLIR that's the way I'd lean.

Any recommendations from the group?  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#1]
My experience with gen 2+ is limited, but the gen2+ Armasight clipon's at opticsplanet have some good deals right now with a free Vortex PST scope. Going to be hard to come close to that price (and with a several hundred dollar scope for free) and they always have a 10% coupon floating around too.

Gen 2+ will far exceed his required distance. On a dark night a little added IR light should easily get him several hundred yards if he has quality glass on his rifle.

I've got a Gen2+ clipon unit being delivered today and I am going to post photos maybe first of the week if I get time behind it this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I hunted hogs with a Gen2 clip-on from ATN for years.  Killed a ton of pigs with it but wanted the detection ability of thermal so I
got a thermal scope.  The Flir for detection and a clip on for shooting should work out just fine.   The ATN I used had a focus
adjustment and was pretty clear right up to looking at things underfoot.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!  Anybody have specific product recommendations or warnings for this type of application?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks!  Anybody have specific product recommendations or warnings for this type of application?
View Quote

I have used my Ruger #1 in 7mm Remington Magnum with the FLIR RS scopes shooting handloads with no problems except dead hogs/dogs at extremely long ranges and a sore shoulder, a FLIR RS32-35 would be perfect for what you have in mind with the airgun.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#6]
A FLIR RS has a LaRue QD mount for easy off/ on when using as a handheld scanner or TWS, but I don't think he needs a 640 core for the range he is shooting at.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]
What about the recoil? If you put a standard leopold rifle scope on an air gun, it will destroy it in 10 shots or less. You must use a scope rated for air gun for it to survive.

I do not know about thermal or NV survival on an airgun,,just bringing up the question for op before someone ruins big money on air rifle.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What about the recoil? If you put a standard leopold rifle scope on an air gun, it will destroy it in 10 shots or less. You must use a scope rated for air gun for it to survive.

I do not know about thermal or NV survival on an airgun,,just bringing up the question for op before someone ruins big money on air rifle.
View Quote

If he is using a charged PCP air gun the recoil should not be such a problem as with a spring gun, and if a FLIR RS can handle 7mm Rem Mag recoil it should do all right, although certainly not warranted for such abuse by the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Man, I never even thought to ask that question. Hope he did.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've made dozens of shots with a FLIR RS (35 and 60mm) mounted on my Remington NPSS (.177) with zero issues.  YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top