Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2016 5:51:31 PM EDT
My basic understanding of PVS-14's is they have essentially become like AR-15's in terms of "everyone" is building them these days and you need to shop around and have some knowledge and confidence in your builder.  TNVC currently king of the hill in that regard if you buy one that is third party built)

Aside from that you have the factory built  mil-spec but commercially sold variety from ITT, L3, perhaps others but I'm to new at this to know. (not sure if white phosphor available this route)

My only definitive decision made is a white phosphor tube in a PVS-14 format with the max performance I can obtain on all the typical night vision performance criteria

So my options appear to be

ITT or L3 generation 3 Filmless

Or Photonis Intens (which if I am reading correctly is actually refined and advanced Generation 2 technology) but very much on par with the current Generation 3 filmless offerings.  (point me in the right direction to read if I am misinformed please)

Are they in fact all comparable in spec aside from their generational build differences

(short version...... I want a White Phosphor PVS-14 with the best performance and quality I can buy regardless of factory or vendor built and am unsure if the latest advancements in Gen 2 can also get me to that end result or what the subjective differences between the three would be).  

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We offer a 5 years on our L3 tubes either Mil Spec Omni 8 filmed or filmless WPT.  OP, please feel free to call or PM me. Be happy to assist with the information overload, I understand.    We have many happy customers with all our TNV-14 line and be happy to explain the differences as well.

Vic

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of warranty does L3 have?

We offer a 5 years on our L3 tubes either Mil Spec Omni 8 filmed or filmless WPT.  OP, please feel free to call or PM me. Be happy to assist with the information overload, I understand.    We have many happy customers with all our TNV-14 line and be happy to explain the differences as well.

Vic

PM'd you Vic, I am in the window-llicker drive by stage at this point (I know what I want just not the multiple paths in which to get there).  When my funds get me to the "potential buyer cash in hand" stage I will start bugging vendors such as yourself.  I am more than sure that any question I can ask has been answered her hundreds of times I just do not have the free time to surf the archives at the moment.  Hell I just had one more question added to the pile I had not even thought about warranty yet.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
tag because I will probably drop the coin this week on a PVS-14,
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Call Vic. I was in the same situation and he was very helpful!  Can't wait for my WP goodness to get here.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:29:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Call Vic. I was in the same situation and he was very helpful!  Can't wait for my WP goodness to get here.
View Quote
Yes I know, but I was hoping that the community as a whole could shed some green or blue light on the subject.  Specifically the Gen 2 Photonis Intens (what do you gain or lose going that route) as I understand it this tube is fairly new itself.

Hell I'm not even sure what all my questions are yet.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure on the price difference between green and blue, but when pressed, I have not read or heard anyone say that WP is in any way superior.  You will probably be the only kid on your block with it, if that is important to you.  I'd rather spend the extra money on more or higher res green tubes.  Whether you go single or multiple, GOOD Filmless, otoh as long as you know the weapon mounting limitations, will probably get you more legit  "oohs and aahs" as compared to state of the art thin filmed tubes, than will similarly spec'd tubes in a different color.

I have two TNVC '14s- one I bought new, the other I bought used after calling TNVC to see if they had anything in stock to beat it (they didn't).  They have been exceedingly helpful with  both and if I ever bought another ,I2 device they would be my first and hopefully last stop.

ETA-  guys that would know are saying below that the currently available WP tubes kick the shit out of currently available green tubes- based on overall higher specs. So it seems the "best" you can get is also WP...

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:32:06 AM EDT
[#8]
There is still not enough users giving their perspective on Intens that they own to say as someone who have not peeked through one what you lose and what you win. The basics are they are lower in noise and scintillation, good and expensive. Also can take a 500G shock compared to under 100G for Gen3 tubes IIRC.

From Carpe Nocturnums Youtube astronomy videos you can see how it compares against a L3 Filmless and that should represent a pretty dark scenario. Keep in mind the phosphor difference in his videos, the darker edges and stark color gradients are from the camera caused by the dark green, or that's my guess.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I have several L-3 WP tubes. I really prefer them to green. It's way more pleasing to my eye. My tubes happen to be pretty good spec as wel. (2400+ FOM on some)

I was using a 14 the other night and I couldn't help but notice that moonlight color and WP color seem to be pretty similar so running a single tube seems just a little more effortless for me.

If I could only have one I'd buy the best I could get and that seems to be L-3s lately.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#10]
If money is no object don't look at any one builder, look at the tube specs and warranty.

Any monkey can build these things in 30 minutes, its not rocket science.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:12:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The L3 WP tubes we are currently getting direct from L3 are the highest spec tubes I've ever seen. Many of them are running 72 Line Pair center resolution, 2500+ Photo-cathode sensitivity and I would say 90% of them are getting 31+ SNR.

Right now the ITT WP tubes are not filmless, unless they have changed them in the last 3 or 4 weeks, they are still a thin filmed WP tube that mimics the specs of their green tubes, which are not bad tubes by any means.
I can not comment on the Photonis tubes as we do not sell them, nor have i gotten a hold or looked through them.

If you want the best, with one of the best all around Warranty's and NO BS customer Service on call then TNVC is here for you. Feel free to call me at 909-796-7000 ext 303 and I'll talk to you so long about WP tubes you'll get bored.

I'd say the WP L3 tubes exibit specs 10-15% higher on average than the Green Phosphor tubes.

The WP tubes are vastly superior in capability to green Phosphor tubes, I prefer them when I hog hunt and shoot classes, I would have loved these things in Iraq back when I was in the military
View Quote

I hate you guys. Ive been wanting a WP tube because the specs have been so high on them lately.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been running a WP PInnacle PVS-14 the last couple of months. My take performance wise  it seems similar to all the green pinnacles tubes I've owned in the same spec area. I do kind of prefer the WP myself by a narrow margin as it seems easier on my eye/eyes strain wise after extend use. I ordered a WP L3 PVS-14 from TNVC also so I will have both the Pinnacle and L3 Filmless WP tubes in PVS-14's. My TNVC L3 WP  should ship next couple of weeks if my delivery estimate stays current I hope it has great specs also!.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:21:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Vic or Sam can the mod3 be ordered in white phosphor? I think that's the setup I'd like to purchase eventually from you guys if it's an option. I'd go with the sentinals but I like the option of passing off one of them if needed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:25:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
PM sent
View Quote

i would like the same info on those wp mod 3's. I bought a pvs14 wp from tnvc. I like it
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:06:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'd say the WP L3 tubes exibit specs 10-15% higher on average than the Green Phosphor tubes.

View Quote

L-3 can build green tubes to the same performance spec as the white ones.    
Certain customers really like white.  Others prefer green.  
Given a choice, I personally would pick one of the high performance L-3 Green unfilmed units.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The L3 WP tubes we are currently getting direct from L3 are the highest spec tubes I've ever seen.
View Quote
Now that I am looking at your offerings again, are all your White Phosphor PVS-14 your builds or do you also sell L3 or ITT built ones as well?  Not a preference on my part just trying to be aware of options.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
PM sent
View Quote

Did this PM answer the question about WP Mod3's?  If so, i'd love the same info, please.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Now that I am looking at your offerings again, are all your White Phosphor PVS-14 your builds or do you also sell L3 or ITT built ones as well?  Not a preference on my part just trying to be aware of options.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The L3 WP tubes we are currently getting direct from L3 are the highest spec tubes I've ever seen.

From reading their information on their site, and here, all sales to public involving the PVS-14 are their builds, with either ITT or L3 tubes assembled in them.
Only "milspec" are directly from ITT or L3 if that makes sense.
Military/Leo are eligible for those units, not general public.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
From reading their information on their site, and here, all sales to public involving the PVS-14 are their builds, with either ITT or L3 tubes assembled in them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

They sell direct from "original manufacturer units" (for lack of a better term).... here is an example though it is thin film and green phosphor.  Not White filmless.

https://tnvc.com/shop/pvs-14-night-enforcer-gen3-pinnacle-night-vision-monocular/

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:19:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They sell direct from "original manufacturer units" (for lack of a better term).... here is an example though it is thin film and green phosphor.  Not White filmless.
https://tnvc.com/shop/pvs-14-night-enforcer-gen3-pinnacle-night-vision-monocular/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. Obviously missed that one.  I stand corrected on those then.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:24:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Did this PM answer the question about WP Mod3's?  If so, i'd love the same info, please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PM sent

This was the response:

Normally no, but if you contact us and speak with us directly at tnvc, we can probably custom build you some WP Mod'3.

Be advised the wait times kinda suck as these things are popular and we can only get a certain number of tubes per month from L3.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Does the white tube stop you from seeing purple, brown, and orange tinted colors after removing the NOD for extended periods?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Depending on your age, with older being progressively worse, the rhodopsins in your cone photoreceptors will take longer to regenerate after looking at white light. Your inherent night vision will also take longer to readjust as your rods get bleached out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We sell one "factory" unit and that is the Night Enforcer that was formally  ITT, then Excelis, and now Harris who acquired them.  We also manufacturer three PVS-14's under our roof and that is the TNV-14 in 3 flavors of tubes. ITT (Omni 7), L3 Omni 8 in green filmed and White Phosphor Filmless.  

We also have NO restrictions on selling these units to every US citizen. These units are not restricted to LEO.  A looong time ago when the Pinnacle Autogated units were first going out in the wild, ITT did have an early restriction these could only be sold to LEO's.  They also said at that time, even though EACH of the units came with data sheets, we could not send them with the units.  We had a few drawers worth after a few years.

Hope this helps a bit.

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We sell one "factory" unit and that is the Night Enforcer that was formally  ITT, then Excelis, and now Harris who acquired them.  We also manufacturer three PVS-14's under our roof and that is the TNV-14 in 3 flavors of tubes. ITT (Omni 7), L3 Omni 8 in green filmed and White Phosphor Filmless.  

We also have NO restrictions on selling these units to every US citizen. These units are not restricted to LEO.  A looong time ago when the Pinnacle Autogated units were first going out in the wild, ITT did have an early restriction these could only be sold to LEO's.  They also said at that time, even though EACH of the units came with data sheets, we could not send them with the units.  We had a few drawers worth after a few years.

Hope this helps a bit.

Vic

It does for me at least. I thought you didn't sell any direct production PVS-14s from the manufacturer. Corrected there. Kinda like certain laser devices when ordered are sent from the factory, and you guys don't even touch the product.
Now I also need to make the decision on green or WP....
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not sure on the price difference between green and blue, but when pressed, I have not read or heard anyone say that WP is in any way superior.  You will probably be the only kid on your block with it, if that is important to you.  
View Quote

I think it boils down to personal preference given the examples I've used, and whether you like the WP tubes enough over green to spring for them.

If you actually end up using them a lot, the cost difference isn't really that big of a deal.   I can't imagine anyone getting the WP and regretting it, especially if TNVC says their specs are outstanding.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hmmm, interesting (I have not experienced that) but I know I've read and heard from others who have reported this.  I am no eye doctor but I know Skypup here in his past life was a genetic scientist with eyeball stuff.   Maybe he can shed more light on this phenomena.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does the white tube stop you from seeing purple, brown, and orange tinted colors after removing the NOD for extended periods?

Hmmm, interesting (I have not experienced that) but I know I've read and heard from others who have reported this.  I am no eye doctor but I know Skypup here in his past life was a genetic scientist with eyeball stuff.   Maybe he can shed more light on this phenomena.

Everyone that I have seen with this issue generally ran their gain very high/bright. I prefer my unit just bright enough to see and not any more much easier on the eyes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 6:29:33 AM EDT
[#38]
With (at least ITT made) MX10160 tubes this is a problem and I am susceptible to it - I see purple every time I've been under these tubes for an hour or more, unless the environment is really dark and max gain limits the brightness noticeably.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I often wear my PVS-14 or dual goggle's for several hours straight hiking/driving around. I have also found a super bright tube gain setting adds to more eye strain in the long run.

I've had 20 + years of experience running "green" tubes and only recently started running WP.  For me personally,  I believe the WP is easier on my eyes and the more I use WP the more I realize the difference. Performance wise such as contrast and tube sharpness,  I think overall tube specs matter more than green or white.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top