Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2016 12:33:50 AM EDT
Specifically I am interested in building a nv monocular that is head mountable. Do people usually get kits like this one https://tnvc.com/shop/pvs-14-complete-parts-kit/ ?
Can you explain to me what Mod 3 is?
Also, I do like diy projects but what are the cost benefits of buying a built unit or doing my own build?
Sorry my post is so disjointed. I am usually pretty good at doing my homework but this one has been hard to get into.
Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:47:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Mod3 differs from a PVS-14 in that in a PVS-14 everything is integrated to one package, meaning the power supply that converts the voltage from battery (for example 1.5V) for the tube (3V) is attached to the housing that has the optics too. In Mod3 system the power supply is detachable and thus the system allows for lighter weight and simpler conversion to a binocular as you have both individual power supplies that can power one monocular, and a bridge that has slots for two "pods" as they call them, monoculars without power supplies, and powers them both with one power supply.

So for example getting the Mod3 monocular kit instead of a PVS-14 kit would mean that if you eventually like to upgrade (not an upgrade in everyone's mind) to a binocular it will be easier and perhaps more cost effective. Plus you retain the ability to take out the "pods" and put the power supply modules into them and you have two monoculars, for a friend as a loaner for a night for example.

Two PVS-14's weight a lot more than what a Mod3 bino does and that is a huge benefit. There are bridges that allow connecting two PVS-14's together to make a bino, but the drawback is it is heavy.

People do purchase those parts kits as new or aswell hunt for used. If you go for all new parts including the image intensifier tube you will not save that much, a few hundred perhaps, but you gain knowledge how to open up & clean the monocular. Though, say a TNVC built PVS-14's are made with care and you can be sure nothing is messed up.

Used PVS-14 housings can be found, but used monocular Mod3's not so much, people tend to get them as a binocular configuration from the get go. Most money you will save on the image intensifier if you get it used, but beware of from whom you purchase, I would suggest avoiding eBay and stick to the AR15.com EE for examlple.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:08:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Building a PVS 14 is VERY easy...its very very easy.   Theres enough info out there include the TM manual for it that has all the info you need. Cant comment on the MOD3 as Ive never built one.

Heres a video that gives a GENERAL idea... theres more too it in the TM but its pretty much everything in the video. (Basically like what side of the light pipe goes up, what direction the lock rings are supposed to be etc. You see everything in the video it just doesn't explain those. )  https://youtu.be/FTwvNjY8210

Read this for a decent overview of the PVS-14 which is more than likely what you want.  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/322481_.html

I'm a big fan of both Autogating and Manual Gain on the tubes... Depending on your usage the manual gain may not matter, but the autogating is needed in my opinion unless your out in the middle of no where all the time.

FWIW Ive used both ultimate night vision and TNVC for my purchases with no issues from either.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:37:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think there are really any cost benefits when you consider you get no warranty.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#4]
While we're at it, I have an external battery pack question.

I/we have ANVIS with which I/we use an external battery pack (holds 2xDual AA "caddies").

Since your are talking about removing the power supply module from a MOD 3, does that mean you could run an external (ANVIS/Air Warrior) battery pack with such a set up?

Could you run an external (back of helmet mounted) battery pack with a single MOD 3 (I don't plan to get the bridge/run a binocular set up)?

I haven't been able to find any power adapter or ? on TNVC's site.

IOW, I would like to run a single PVS-14 with an external battery pack.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:07:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Building is stoopid simple and it doesn't take a lot of tools to put one together. They do not have to be purged either. Lots of them running around here for many years with no purge and we (this forum) just talked about how long a purge actually don't last. Don't be intimidated. IMO, the warranty is personal and based on your comfort level. Last 14 I put together for $1200 complete, another for $1500, I could care less about a warranty at that price. Much past that and you are in the territory of buying a used factory assembled unit. They are pretty common starting around $1800+ and at $2500 you can pick up some high quality gear. The only issue you will have is finding a deal on a decent used tube OMNI IV or higher. If you are wanting to build with the best tube money can buy, then just buy a new unit from TNVC. Building something like that yourself will not save you a dime.

Go to AB Night Vision and get your tools and a better housing than a PVS14 housing.

If I were in your shoes here is what I would do: Buy two used 14's for the price of one factory new unit, pick up a NVD dual adapter $150, Used Rhino II mount for $50 and a good comfortable helmet.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, I will chime in here. Building your own is not rocket science. Some special tools make the job easier but homemade examples work fine. That said pitfalls abound. Many mistakes are made by first time folks and I see them all the time. Stripped threads and improperly installed tubes are the most common. I see objective issues but they are less common. Look, YouTube has made it all easy but experience plays a factor.

The Youtube vids are not complete. They are a general guide and I know the guy who makes them. I am the number one fan of do it yourself as that is what I do. I also lost thousands fucking up. Yep, I fucked up some stuff. Broke pigtail pins and the list goes on.It took a few years before I was really good. 20+ years later it is all easy. I love the do it yourself spirit but start small and risk little as mistakes WILL be made.

I spent more on many occasions then i would have buying new with a warranty. My goal was never to win but to learn all I COULD to beat ATN. I did that. Building night vision is not easy as some say. It is easy to fuck up and lose thousands. With careful due diligence it can be done. Take your time and learn ! Read all you can ! Start small and work your way up.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:08:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another couple things to consider, there is a new aluminum MOD-3 bridge that is compatible with the ball detent ANVIS style mount and its more rugged than the current version.
View Quote

Whut.  

Pictures, information, and purchase instructions.  Naow.  

KillerB6:

Talk to chosos.  

There's not a factory option that I'm aware of that allows the MOD-3 (mono or bino, except for the above) to run on an external battery, however, chosos has built one (a couple?) using battery adapters that replace the battery/battery compartment cap and have a LEMO connector allowing you to plug the LPBP into.  I suspect he could do it with a PVS-14, too, but you'd have to ask him.  

OP:

IMHO, the best "middle of the road" option between building your own and buying factory new assembled is to buy up as many parts as you can, then send them off to someone to get professionally built.  The tubes and optics are the most expensive parts, but they're also the parts you can likely save the most on by buying second-hand, a lot of builders have "housing kits" that you can buy, send your tubes and optics, and they'll put it together, purge, and collimate (if applicable) for you.  If you have a box of parts, too, they usually have small parts/components on hand to complete your "kit."  

With patience and some searching, you can save a good bit of money doing it this way, and still have a professionally built set of NODs.  To be clear, second-hand tubes are unlikely to have warranties, and Gen. III is basically never going to be cheap, and the tubes are a big, big chunk of that, but it's still possible to save a little bit here and there.  

~Augee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top