Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2016 11:32:30 AM EDT

I'm looking to buy my first real night vision set up and need to make it as adaptable as possible. Ideally it would be able to be handheld, helmet mounted, mount on my AR, and mount on my bolt rifle.

I haven't been able to find out if the PVS will mount on a bolt rifle reliably for use as a clip on. Can anyone give me more details?

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually, there is an option that allows you to zero and place your PVS 14 in front of a day optic...its 1600 bucks though.

http://www.browe-inc.com/categories/BLACK-OPTEX-%252d-ZERO-LENS/
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]
On a 5.56 gun with eotech or aimpoint the PVS14 is workable as a weapon sight but I only like to rifle mount for short periods of time as i am always fearful of reticle burn. An IR laser and pressure pad with the pvs14 on the rifle with no optic can be nice too. You can even screw in the 3x magnifier and have 3 power magnification.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Funky refresh tripletap please delete
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Triple tap
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#6]
All good posts above ! Keep your 14 head mounted and get a good IR laser. You can put your laser on any gun it will mount. Good for 100m at least. If you need longer ranges a dedicated upper with a NV rifle scope does the trick as well as a clip on. I keep an upper just setup for night vision. I mostly just use the IR laser though. A no hub coupling and a couple band clamps gives a good Bubba setup to mount your 14 behind your day scope but that causes some issues.

The biggest is light loss and subsequently amplification loss in your 14 due to all the glass the unit is working through, The guys across the pond love this option but IR lasers are gaining traction. Ever since they came out with the civvy legal IR lasers it kind of took away all the excuses to go the Bubba route. The 14 was designed with .223 rifle use in mind but in reality it is rarely done. IR lasers are the go to.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Ahh ok, I was under the wrong impression.

I thought that a clip on NV unit went in front of the day optic allowing it to be used at nighttime with no change in point of impact since you are using the same scope, etc and just adding the NV unit to gather enough light.

ETA: So if an IR laser is the way to go why buy a monocular over a goggle setup? Is having one eye dark adapted that much of an advantage?

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought that a clip on NV unit went in front of the day optic allowing it to be used at nighttime with no change in point of impact since you are using the same scope, etc and just adding the NV unit to gather enough light.

ETA: So if an IR laser is the way to go why buy a monocular over a goggle setup? Is having one eye dark adapted that much of an advantage?

View Quote

A PVS-14 is not a clip on unit and is not designed to go in front of optics due to POA, POI issues. It can be done but not cheaply or easily. I like a monocular as one eye dark adapted is a huge plus for me. Some guys like a bino setup as they feel it gives depth perception and stereo vision. However, your FOV is the same as a monocular with most bino setups. I used bino gear but prefer a monocular.

To each his own and it is a mater of personal preference and cash as bino setups don't come cheap. I can see uses for both but for my putting around in the fields and boating I like a monocular. You are rarely in total black darkness and the unaided eye gives your brain information as well as better FOV and situational awareness. Just my .02
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#10]

All right, I'll start shopping with this new information.

Thanks !
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#13]
MOD-3 monocular is a good option for a versatile, entry-level device as well.  

Most MOD-3 models lack the variable gain of the PVS-14, but otherwise are shorter, lighter, and more durable, using all of the readily available PVS-14 optics and accessories.

In addition to providing most of the functionality of the PVS-14, if you decide to go with duals/save more money, you can buy a second monocular housing and the bino-bridge, and have a set good set of NV binoculars without the high penalties of bridged PVS-14s.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:32:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A PVS-14 is not a clip on unit and is not designed to go in front of optics due to POA, POI issues. It can be done but not cheaply or easily. I like a monocular as one eye dark adapted is a huge plus for me. Some guys like a bino setup as they feel it gives depth perception and stereo vision. However, your FOV is the same as a monocular with most bino setups. I used bino gear but prefer a monocular.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I rarely disagree with your posts, but I do here.  Bino's definitely give you a wider FOV than just a monocular as well as definitely adding more depth of field.  It's not near as wide as unaided eyes, but it's definitely wider IMO.

However the un aided eye on a monocular setup does have  a wider FOV than one looking through a second tube if there is enough light to see by and you're not putting a thermal or other bright light in front of it regularly....
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I rarely disagree with your posts, but I do here.  Bino's definitely give you a wider FOV than just a monocular as well as definitely adding more depth of field.  It's not near as wide as unaided eyes, but it's definitely wider IMO.

However the un aided eye on a monocular setup does have  a wider FOV than one looking through a second tube if there is enough light to see by and you're not putting a thermal or other bright light in front of it regularly....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree which is why I said MOST bino scopes. If you look at the specs for the AVS-9 and the PVS-14 you will find they both have 40 degree FOV. This is due to the overlap the AVS-9 has. I thought the same way as you but it just seems you have a wider FOV when in reality you still have 40 degrees. Now the panoramic bino scopes have a much wider FOV but they use 4 tubes. You really don't get a wider FOV with standard bino goggles.

Folks don't grasp it but it is true and the L3 and ITT published specs tell the story on bino scopes. You get the same 40 degrees as with a 14. It seems unbelievable but is true.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I agree which is why I said MOST bino scopes. If you look at the specs for the AVS-9 and the PVS-14 you will find they both have 40 degree FOV. This is due to the overlap the AVS-9 has. I thought the same way as you but it just seems you have a wider FOV when in reality you still have 40 degrees. Now the panoramic bino scopes have a much wider FOV but they use 4 tubes. You really don't get a wider FOV with standard bino goggles.

Folks don't grasp it but it is true and the L3 and ITT published specs tell the story on bino scopes. You get the same 40 degrees as with a 14. It seems unbelievable but is true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No reason to doubt you've seen the research, but it sure does seem a wider FOV with my mod 3 binos than with my single pvs14.
It's not a lot more, but it sure seems like more....

I'll have to do some "camera 1" "camera 2" tests.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:30:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:00:19 AM EDT
[#18]
That was my intention when I bought a pvs-14. Then after I bought a pvs-14, within about a 4 month period I ended up with three pvs-14's, a NVD bridge mount,  a Norotos arm, and a new helmet...... funny how that works.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I am in the same boat, about to get PVS-14 number 2.  Is the bayonet mount horrible for dual 14s?  I know its going to be heavy, but will it be sturdy with a G11 Wilcox and the N-vision dual mount (not advanced one)?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Having just taken the TNVC Nightfighter course, I can tell you that a helmet-mounted PVS14 with an IR laser is a force to be dealt with at more or less any reasonable range with an AR. I've been mulling longer range options (namely some of the dedicated nightvision optics) for hunting with my bolt gun, but I'm confident that if I can see it well enough to determine my laser's on it, I can hit it within a hundred yards or better. I now regard my nods as the biggest force multiplier in my safe.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:45:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am in the same boat, about to get PVS-14 number 2.  Is the bayonet mount horrible for dual 14s?  I know its going to be heavy, but will it be sturdy with a G11 Wilcox and the N-vision dual mount (not advanced one)?
View Quote

It has worked pretty well for me so far. Locks up solid,  and it really doesn't weigh that much.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It has worked pretty well for me so far. Locks up solid,  and it really doesn't weigh that much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Armystrong- Pretty sure I am going this route.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not at all. Grab yourself a night vision depot dual adapter ($149) and run it with your Rhino II and you will be golden. I have that setup running two 14's and love it! Add a little more weight to your counter weight and its a comfortable setup to run for hours.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top