Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2016 1:21:46 PM EDT
Anyone know of some kind of protection for the PVS14?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone know of some kind of protection for the PVS14?
View Quote

A cord attached the PVS-14 to your helmet.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Like what they make for cameras? No, I haven't
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Something to absorb bumps or drops at least a little.
For their cost I would think there would something to protect them besides a tether.

Even my cheap Garmin GPS has a rubber clamshell that offers full functionality and a lot of protection.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Your looking for something like the rubber armor cases for the aimpoints?

Would look good, but (in my opinion) would be too bulky and offer little real world drop protection to be useful.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#5]
With the amount in service with the military I'd say they are pretty bump/drop proof.

Hell I was infantry and you know an infantry Marine can fuck up a ball bearing. We never broke any
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With the amount in service with the military I'd say they are pretty bump/drop proof.

Hell I was infantry and you know an infantry Marine can fuck up a ball bearing. We never broke any
View Quote

Good to know....... but the shit you buy with your own money never seems as robust or maybe it just more memorable when you screw it up.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Your looking for something like the rubber armor cases for the aimpoints?

Would look good, but (in my opinion) would be too bulky and offer little real world drop protection to be useful.
View Quote

Yeah something like that but maybe a bit thicker. I would think Aimpoints are a hell of a lot more durable, I find it odd they even make a cover for those. I can see dropping a monocular much more likely than an Aimpoint mounted to a rifle.

SOL I guess.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
For their cost I would think there would something to protect them besides a tether.

Even my cheap Garmin GPS has a rubber clamshell that offers full functionality and a lot of protection.

View Quote

Your GPS is hand held and so you're more likely to fumble-finger it onto the ground.
Your PVS-14 is bolted to your head, so if your head doesn't hit the ground, your PVS-14 should be safe.  Unless it unbolts itself from your head, then: tether.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Your GPS is hand held and so you're more likely to fumble-finger it onto the ground.
Your PVS-14 is bolted to your head, so if your head doesn't hit the ground, your PVS-14 should be safe.  Unless it unbolts itself from your head, then: tether.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well my GPS has a tether, is more durable and 31 times cheaper.

Would like it for the times mounting and unmounting, getting it out putting it away or just using it as a handheld monocular. I make sure to put the tether over my neck immediately after picking it up but......They just are not popular enough I suppose for someone to make a cover.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Your PVS-14 is bolted to your head, so if your head doesn't hit the ground, your PVS-14 should be safe.  
View Quote

That hasn't been my experience.

For me, when it is stowed, it's like a rhino horn I forgot I had that sexually attracts the roofline of vehicles and hatchbacks an door frames an containers... lol

They really do need to make some kinda low profile flipper upper that leverages Transformer technology for those things!
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:59:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Remember too that anything you attach to the device will add weight sticking out in front of your face, depending on how you set up the "armor," it could end up being a lot of unnecessary weight.

Tethering is good, I prefer a tether that's mounted slightly offset as opposed to straight down the center, I had a NOD break free on a center-mounted Wilcox tether and it smacked me in the face on the way down.  Better than shattering on the ground and/or getting lost, but still not pleasant.  Fancy tethers look nice and all... but a little bit of 550 cord and a small "S-biner" will do the same thing, and frankly is more personally confidence inspiring to me than the thin little string on the Wilcox.  To be fair, this is probably based solely on looks/feel, and as I've said, I've personally experienced the Wilcox tether doing its job when I hit something with enough force to activate the Wilcox L4 G24's breakaway feature, but the PVS-14 itself survived and worked just fine once I re-mounted it.  

I've seen some guys wrap their NODs in CamoForm (camouflage printed friction tape) that adds some extra padding without adding much weight, but have never found it necessary personally.  

P.S. if you use duals and use bungees, you are basically almost guaranteed to end up with a bloody lip if the breakaway ever kicks in.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:12:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah I wrapped a scope with camoform last weekend and considered doing it with the pvs14 but didn't think it would do much.

I guess they are more durable than I thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top