Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/3/2016 1:52:50 AM EDT
Coworker just bought a new thermal scope.  So I took it out and shot a couple of videos in Central Oklahoma right outside of Thomas.  Figured I'd share them with ya'll, figured there are a lot of videos from them, but more never hurts.  If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice.  What was the distance?
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 2:50:54 AM EDT
[#2]
My best guess is when she very first crossed the road (video 2) she was probably 45 to 50 yards away from me.  

We went out tonight and spotted some more deer, but the range finder sure acts weird.  I've got to do some reading and see if it has some type of calibration to do.  Because I know for a fact the 2 does in rock throwing distance were not 700+ feet away tonight.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You have to know the height of the target in order for the range finder to work.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#4]
So I'd need to pick the "deer profile" that gives me a height then the range finder should work properly.  I'll try to check it out tonight.

Thanks
Pike

ETA: BUSHMAN, you nailed it brother.  I appreciate the help with that feature.  The instructions are severely lacking with this unit it seems.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#5]
What was the temperature?  I know it has been hitting 100+ in the daytime here.  Just curious how well it works on recognition in the heat.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd say it was probably in the 70's (not honestly sure). It was about 2300 that night.  When I get up tonight for work I'll take some day light picture of a human in the heat and post them for you so you can have an idea of how well it picks up heat.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 6:54:45 AM EDT
[#8]
In the sun these scopes are just about as clear/sharp as a 640 unit at night.

Here is one I shot in the sun/heat a couple months ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4noYmR-1lQ

The far bldg is about 250yds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Ijyh1vkPc
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks mbpike!

What are your overall impressions of the optic?   Do you think it is worth the coin?

Link Posted: 7/8/2016 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks mbpike!

What are your overall impressions of the optic?   Do you think it is worth the coin?
View Quote

I think so. Especially if they update the firmware.  I keep hearing an update is right around the corner.

Still needs color palettes and the image processing is a little sub par.  

Biggest plus is onboard recording.  Best new feature EVER.

Biggest minus is the sucky eye piece optics.  The LCD screen is great, but the lens system isn't the best.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In the sun these scopes are just about as clear/sharp as a 640 unit at night.

Here is one I shot in the sun/heat a couple months ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4noYmR-1lQ

The far bldg is about 250yds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Ijyh1vkPc
View Quote

White line across the bottom of screen looks like artifacts from on screen overlay (date and time on the screen is generated separately from the detector data) that is happening above, the white line with data embedded is left over display that should not be there. Won't hurt anything but shouldn't be there anyway. If you can turn off the on screen display see if it clears up.

Unit is nice for the price point.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone had a chance to try the 640 version of these scopes?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have one.

They are OK.  The ability to take screenshots and video direct to SD card is the most awesome thing about them.  Everything else is kinda middle of the road quality etc.  They are OK for the price.  The cool wifi/gps/range finder stuff is neato but not something that most of us will use that often.

I'm hoping some firmware love in the future makes things much better but so far they don't do as good a job with the thermal image as something like a IR Defense scope.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#15]
BTT

mbpike,

How does your friend like the scope after having it for a couple months?

Thanks

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top