BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you used the HDMI equipped unit yet? Does the image look better than the basic analog output?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:24:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks I saw that on the sheet. I was curious if the remaining image (not taking into consideration of the black bars added to the screen) looks more clear and sharper because it's sending the original digital image or does it look the same as it does using the standard video output because it's the same analog signal as mentioned above by another member?

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#5]
It takes the 8-bit analog video signal and converts it to 1280x720.  Can't work off 14-bit data because there is no AGC applied to that stream.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It takes the 8-bit analog video signal and converts it to 1280x720.  Can't work off 14-bit data because there is no AGC applied to that stream.
View Quote

Ah, good point.

I hope they do this right in the Boson and make sure we can get lossless digital quality out of them in one form or fashion.

I guess it isn't that big of a deal if you have a Vue Pro since you can record lossless on the sd card.  (assuming the SD card records lossless)
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
That looks like fun!!

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 11:53:17 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Damn! You almost step on them!

UNV, are you planning on carrying those HDMI/power adapters for the Vue Pro's?  I'm not seeing them available anywhere yet.
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

UNV, are you planning on carrying those HDMI/power adapters for the Vue Pro's?  I'm not seeing them available anywhere yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've tripped over 3 or so over the years.  Its a somewhat traumatic experience.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For both of you I'm sure......  
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:38:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This pan/tilt thermal unit has been working great. It is very nice to be able to sit in the air conditioned truck in these 100 degree + dog days of summer. It would be handy if there was a way to hard wire a switch to trigger the PWM inputs so you don't have to connect the app via bluetooth every time you want to start a recording, calibrate, zoom, change polarity etc. The pin-out on the 10-pin mni USB connector shows that 4 of the pins are labeled PWM 1, PWM 2, PWM, 3, and PWM 4. I get that you can use a flight controller to control 2 of those PWM inputs on a drone, but is there a way to hard wire a switch to those pins to trigger the PWM inputs?  I am tempted to supply 5v power to one of those pins and see what happens. If there is an easy way to hard wire a switch to trigger those PWM inputs I would put a little control panel in my truck to control each units calibration, polarity, zoom, and recording. Any electronics wizards lurking in the NV forum? Where is Hard Ware when we need him?
View Quote

I'm working on that one.  I'm pretty sure it can be done using an arduino, but haven't worked out the details yet.....
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:26:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This pan/tilt thermal unit has been working great. It is very nice to be able to sit in the air conditioned truck in these 100 degree + dog days of summer. It would be handy if there was a way to hard wire a switch to trigger the PWM inputs so you don't have to connect the app via bluetooth every time you want to start a recording, calibrate, zoom, change polarity etc. The pin-out on the 10-pin mni USB connector shows that 4 of the pins are labeled PWM 1, PWM 2, PWM, 3, and PWM 4. I get that you can use a flight controller to control 2 of those PWM inputs on a drone, but is there a way to hard wire a switch to those pins to trigger the PWM inputs?  I am tempted to supply 5v power to one of those pins and see what happens. If there is an easy way to hard wire a switch to trigger those PWM inputs I would put a little control panel in my truck to control each units calibration, polarity, zoom, and recording. Any electronics wizards lurking in the NV forum? Where is Hard Ware when we need him?
View Quote

Been out of state in OK for some training last week.

If its a pwm input a servo controller should work to run it.
Updated 10:20am

4 channel servo controller

With the 4 channel unit you can see what position on the silder you need to trigger the change and ohm out the resistor and solder a fixed resistor and a couple switches to let you press a switch and control the channel

Example with slider at a certain position it switches to b/w make a mark, another position it switches to color1  make a mark, another position switched to color 3 make a mark.
Now open the box and measure the resistance value at each mark and solder a switch with a fixed resistor to the circuit so you can switch setting with the press of a button or use a 3 position toogle switch

Use gnd and the pwm out from each channel to the pwm device you want to control.
You have to setup the channels with the flir app to configure what they control, and you  need a unit that is setup to output the proper pulse width to trigger the output you setup.
channel 1 setup for color pallet 2 or 3 switch option, well the servo control will go from 1ms to 2 ms with 1.5 being center.
I don't know what triggers the vue looks for but hooking up a servo tester will give you the desired value to trigger the action or use the unit above and measure the resistance to make a switched resistor that will trigger the change.
Servo tester
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:42:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks like the 7 pin accessory port controls the PWM.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:54:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I updated the post after looking into the vue specs, it is designed for the pixhawk interface.

But I posted what I think will work to make a custom box to do what you want.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's what I've been thinking about.

Is it physically possible to get a usable digit video output from the micro SD card slot instead of recording to a sandisk card? I've looked high and low for some sort of cable that could plug into the slot with something (anything) like USB on the other end.

They sell micro sd extension  cords like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=micro+sd+extension+cable+to+usb&client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&biw=375&bih=559&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjjxaHTvsnOAhUDeCYKHfytDIs4ChD8BQgGKAI#imgrc=e_gRGsTvCcKmzM%3A

What if you cut one end off and had computer guy wire in a USB connector? Is it even possible to watch the live digit video feed in a laptop from the sd card slot instead of recording a file to the card?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Why not just use the video out from the USB?  Then you get live video as well as SD card recording?
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#25]
It's lower quality analog video vs digital video?

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#26]
I have no background with drones.  I have flown (and can fly) 4 channel RC helicopters, but have no idea what the crossover/ learning curve would be.  I see where UNV is running an  Autel X-Star Premium and Amazon reports that I can get one of those for $900.  The Vue Pros are listed at $2,000 for the 336 and $3,500 for the 640 core.  Both are available with three different lens sizes at the same price.  If mounting to a drone, what else is needed to get the thing up and usable to get live streaming images back to the pilot?  What is the all-in price for setting one of these up?  Oh, and does anyone make an emergency parachute option for these things?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

This would be super easy to do.

I made a little board not long ago to fire our "Finger of God" laser that used PWM to power a relay that fired the laser, doing it the other way is fairly trivial.  If you look on Hobby King there are probably servo testers all over the place that can be made to do what you need.

A custom one that generated pwm from a button press would be pretty easy.

Thankfully the Solo gives you a few PWM out options from the standard controller so I'm hoping I don't have to do anything too weird to make this work on mine.  

Want to trade a Vue HDMI module for a custom PWM controller?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:50:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

From the Vue Pro manual:  The Vue Pro accepts standard PWM inputs for the R/C industry, 3.3-5vdc, 50Hz. LOW = 1ms/20ms, MID = 1.5ms/20ms, HIGH = 2ms/20ms..  You might need to add a bit more than simple analog switches, but it should be possible.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#31]
I lucked out and found a used Vue Pro 640/19mm lens a few weeks ago. I'm glad I had it because I had to send my thermal riflescope back for repair last week right at the peak of rain delayed corn harvest in my area.

Here's a video of me holding a flashlight in the same hand I was holding my rifle with, shooting two hogs out of this group. This video was accidentally recorded using the timelapse setting and when played, it looked like you were watching it in fast forward. Youtube was able to slow it down so that it it somewhat usable.

https://youtu.be/duo-RuGfGd8

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#34]
This video was recorded for one second duration, 30 frames per second.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Time lapse works really well if you can put it for a long period of time in a fixed location as well.

This weekend I put out a new feeder and ran it in time lapse mode for about 5 hours to see what would come around.

pic every 30 seconds for 5 hours replayed at 10fps

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I can see how this would be useful to see if leaving a hunt early was a good or bad idea.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Time lapse works really well if you can put it for a long period of time in a fixed location as well.

This weekend I put out a new feeder and ran it in time lapse mode for about 5 hours to see what would come around.

pic every 30 seconds for 5 hours replayed at 10fps

https://youtu.be/XeSGgaJX9sc
I can see how this would be useful to see if leaving a hunt early was a good or bad idea.  

I originally planned to have it run all night, instead of just from 7pm-1am, but I miss calculated the battery capacity.  I had a video transmitter running with it also, so I could monitor the pasture from a different angle than I was actually located in it and that ran the batter down too quickly.  I was about 200 yards away from the Vue with a different perspective.

But the plan was to let it run all night to see what else if anything came out.  Turns out it missed a coyote that came out that was picked up by the game cam next to the feeder.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
 I had a video transmitter running with it also, so I could monitor the pasture from a different angle than I was actually located in it and that ran the batter down too quickly.  I was about 200 yards away from the Vue with a different perspective.

View Quote

Can you give some details of the video transmitter?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 I had a video transmitter running with it also, so I could monitor the pasture from a different angle than I was actually located in it and that ran the batter down too quickly.  I was about 200 yards away from the Vue with a different perspective.

Video transmitter is one I used to use for some drones.  It's an ImmersionRC 600mw 5.8ghz video transmitter who's signal is received by a pair of fatshark goggles.  Gives me a nice crisp image just as good as being plugged directly into the FLIR Vue at about 200 yards away.  It'll go further, but that's all I pushed it to this time.

I don't mean to hijack this thread so I'll link to the one where I've been posting about my tinkering.

Link
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:13:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Found a good spot for the dual thermal on the new pig rig. http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d6/tnadair/ARFCOM/C41448B2-D6E5-49B7-AB02-B026DCA6BC23_zpsslpsvpuw.jpg

View Quote

Fantastic!
We need ore pics
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Thermal AND cup holders! That rig is very cool.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#44]
So who's gonna take one for the team and tear apart the new Mavic Pro drone and make it work with a small thermal gimbal?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So who's gonna take one for the team and tear apart the new Mavic Pro drone and make it work with a small thermal gimbal?
View Quote

I've got a mavic on pre-order, but I don't think even the bosun thermals will be small enough to work on that gimbal.....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top