Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2016 7:21:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I cover around 50,000 acres with a similar setup, but I am using a Golight2049 housing with one camera. This pan/tilt pretty much guarantees finding a hog. I had to temporarily mount it to my wife's Jeep, since the real meat wagon doesn't have a/c

This last pic was amateur night with Kyle and Drew. Notice all the gut shots. I usually just shoot them in the neck and be done with it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow you guys are taking it to the next level!
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 2:09:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Where is the like button when you need it!!!

Is there any chance y'all could make an iPhone video of the monitor while the unit is in action?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#7]
UNV- on the finished / all cleaned up picture, where is the IR laser's aperture?  

You and Crowminator have finally pushed me off my ass to get my GoLight project back on the table.  The dual 19mm and 100mm lenses in one housing is pretty incredible.  Very well done.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That was Pre-IR laser pointer. Pics might be out of chronological order, and I didn't add the laser until after I had the whole setup completely assembled for the first time. I initially wanted the IR laser to let me know where the thermal is pointing when I am driving with NV. I soon found out that an adjustable IR Laser illuminator is a better option because it can mark the direction of the thermal and also illuminate a target. An IR laser illuminator is obviously much easier to find than an IR laser pointer too.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
UNV- on the finished / all cleaned up picture, where is the IR laser's aperture?  

You and Crowminator have finally pushed me off my ass to get my GoLight project back on the table.  The dual 19mm and 100mm lenses in one housing is pretty incredible.  Very well done.
That was Pre-IR laser pointer. Pics might be out of chronological order, and I didn't add the laser until after I had the whole setup completely assembled for the first time. I initially wanted the IR laser to let me know where the thermal is pointing when I am driving with NV. I soon found out that an adjustable IR Laser illuminator is a better option because it can mark the direction of the thermal and also illuminate a target. An IR laser illuminator is obviously much easier to find than an IR laser pointer too.    

All of that makes complete sense.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Awesome thread. Makes me want to get back into the idea of making a FLIR equipped drone.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I bet you could sell a few of those Tyler
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I bet you could sell a few of those Tyler
View Quote
Especially if he could come up with an IP 67 rated housing for the camera to make it dust and waterproof and still fit inside to go light housing!!!

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#14]
According to the FLIR data sheet posted above, HDMI output is rated at 1280 x 720.  If the camera core is 640 or 336 respectively I wonder what 1280 output does to the image on your monitor? More sharp, or less sharp?  

I guess Crowminator will be able to answer that question as soon as his module comes in?

I'm still hoping that information and/or availability of the new boson core will be available by the end of the month so I can make a decision as to which camera core to get.  Currently, the boson has a similar module listed as an accessory and I'd be surprised if they don't offer a similar  HDMI module too, unless they are worried about cannibalizing sales of the Vue too quickly?

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Torry pines can make a 1x-4x zoom lens for the thermals, just a little pricey.
way cheaper to get second thermal like above post for zoom view.

Attach a IR led to the dual camera go light setup and you are complete for thermal or I^2 night viewing.
I have a 12watt IR light I modded in my wireless controlled go light, and working on a quick release mount for the flir ps32 thermal to mount it as well.
I just like using the flir PS scouts like binos, so been looking for a smaller unit to mount to go light that wont break the bank
The therm app hz with a tablet looks nice, the new seek compact pro is in the running as well. That unit with a small variable 1-5x zoom lens (if not too much $$$$) might be a hit for remote mounting.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Could one of these thermal units be adapted for use in something like this:

FPV KIT
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have seen some very cool setups with the FLIR Vue Pro including truck mounted and UAV mounted systsems and figured we need a good place to share pictures and info on whatever setup you have put together that uses a FLIR Vue.

Here is some basic info on the Vue for those who have not seen it.

Price: $1,500-$3,500
Available in lens sizes 6.8mm - 13mm in 336 version and 9mm - 19mm in 640 version.

Vue Standard:
  • Takes 5V power in
  • Sends analog video out

Vue Pro:
  • Takes 5V power in
  • Sends analog video out
  • Has onboard digital video recording to a micro SD card
  • Has an iPhone/Android app that lets you control the camera from your phone
  • Has PWN and Telem wiring harness for FPV/Radio control flight
  • Optional HDMI(1280x720) and power(5VDC - 28VDC) module
Vue Pro Technical Drawing - Link
Vue Pro User's Guide - Link
Vue Pro Mini USB Pin-Out - Link

https://www.unvcorp.com/images/ARFCOM/VUE_Pro/VUE-Pro-In-the-box.jpg

Here are a few pictures of my custom GoLight Pan/Tilt setup using 2 FLIR Vue Pro units. These both started out as VUE Pro 19mm setups. I had a 100mm FLIR lens mounted on the front of one for long range ID and left the other at 19mm for a nice wide FOV. I use the 19mm to scan and then switch to the 100mm for ID. You can see forever with the 100mm lens and since it's mounted on top of the truck it's extremely stable and has a much better vantage point than scanning from the ground.

Once the 100mm lens was installed I had to set the focus which was surprisingly easy. The 100mm lens just threads right on to the 100mm lens holder and has a little clamp that stops it from unscrewing once you set your focus.
https://www.unvcorp.com/images/ARFCOM/VUE_Pro/FullSizeRender%20(4).jpg

I mounted both of these in a GoLight Stryker and I am positive my warranty has been voided, so proceed with caution if you decide to do anything like this. I had a buddy make me a custom plate that replaces the GoLight bulb housing and mounted the 2 VUE Pro units in the plate. I think it came out pretty nicely.
Here are both units mounted in the custom plate.
https://www.unvcorp.com/images/ARFCOM/VUE_Pro/IMG_9230.JPG

https://www.unvcorp.com/images/ARFCOM/VUE_Pro/IMG_9231.JPG

https://www.unvcorp.com/images/ARFCOM/VUE_Pro/IMG_9229.JPG

I got rid  of the 12v power to the light(left it in place for the motors and an IR Laser) and threaded 2 of the VUE cables through the GoLight housing. This allows me to send 5V power get a video feed off of each unit and still have access to the unit through USB if I want to update firmware.
https://www.unvcorp.com/images/ARFCOM/VUE_Pro/FullSizeRender%20(3).jpg

https://www.unvcorp.com/images/ARFCOM/VUE_Pro/IMG_9239.JPG

https://www.unvcorp.com/images/ARFCOM/VUE_Pro/IMG_9252.JPG

Here is a picture of the IR Laser mounted in the plate with the 2 VUE Pro units.
https://www.unvcorp.com/images/ARFCOM/VUE_Pro/FullSizeRender%20(5).jpg

From there I did a little trimming on the bulb housing to make the plate fit and make both VUE Pro units fit, connected the wires, and reassembled the GoLight.
https://www.unvcorp.com/images/ARFCOM/VUE_Pro/FullSizeRender%20(2).jpg

Here she is all cleaned up!
https://www.unvcorp.com/images/ARFCOM/VUE_Pro/IMG_9254.JPG

My net step on this setup is to install some sort of resistor on the pan motor in the GoLight housing to slow down the panning. The way it is currently setup is a little fast for panning with the 100mm and needs a more fine tuned adjustment.

View Quote

Does your go light have a slow / fast speed control built in?
The wireless model has 2 speeds for tilt and panning.

I need to get something that does not  make a lot of noise, my diesel truck can be heard for 3/4 mile away.
With the thermal and quiet vehicle you can get in close.

Link Posted: 7/1/2016 7:54:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#21]
You could try something like this to better control the pan and tilt.

http://www.mammothelectronics.com/4SJ200-0A-M4-S-p/830-200-0a-m4-s.htm
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My net step on this setup is to install some sort of resistor on the pan motor in the GoLight housing to slow down the panning. The way it is currently setup is a little fast for panning with the 100mm and needs a more fine tuned adjustment.

View Quote

I use a Golight 30514 with a wireless remote. It has two speed modes for panning.

eta

ok should kept reading
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks for the link! I ordered this potentiometer a few days ago. http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=535B1101JCvirtualkey59400000virtualkey594-535-11101

Does anyone know if this needs to go before or after the switch in the golight? It would be nice if I could just put it inline somewhere on my dash but I'm not sure if the receiver on the golight will operate with less than a 12v.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You could try something like this to better control the pan and tilt.

http://www.mammothelectronics.com/4SJ200-0A-M4-S-p/830-200-0a-m4-s.htm
Thanks for the link! I ordered this potentiometer a few days ago. http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=535B1101JCvirtualkey59400000virtualkey594-535-11101

Does anyone know if this needs to go before or after the switch in the golight? It would be nice if I could just put it inline somewhere on my dash but I'm not sure if the receiver on the golight will operate with less than a 12v.

The resistor would work best if you had one on each motor, I will see if I can open my unit up and measure the current each motor draws on low speed and find a resistor value that will cut low speed to 1/2 of it.

I will look to see how the go light sets the low speed, if its a PWM circuit it could be slowed down. This way you have a full speed and a say 1/10 speed.

Will look into this tomorrow and post results.

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 11:42:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Here are the results,  the unit can be powered from as low as 8.5volts. At 8.5v the light would be dim if you were using a light. But using only the pan tilt motors it will work at 8.5vdc and on low speed its slow, you can bump it very carefully into the point of aim you desire. At full speed it moves like normal (just a tad slower but not much)

I would say it would be best to use a dc to dc step down regulator , 3amps if no light is used, 5amps if 50w and under lamp is used.
This could be placed in the base of the go light and set to 9volts and be done with it.

DROK Volt reg and led display  5amps

Water proof unit no led display

Video go light @ 9vdc  red led blue led is current flow

First at full speed then at slow speed, all while running on 9vdc
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I am using a 12v to 5v converter mounted inside the housing and feeding the Vue. If I add a 12v to 9v converter before it gets stepped down to 5v for the Vue , will I still end up with 5v ? In other works, does the 12v to 5v need 12v to start with or will 9v be ok and still end up with 5v.

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I would think that it needs 12v to start with, but a 9v battery and multimeter should give you the answer.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
One of the new HDMI Power modules for the Vue would be handy in this situation because it will take a 5-28v.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am using a 12v to 5v converter mounted inside the housing and feeding the Vue. If I add a 12v to 9v converter before it gets stepped down to 5v for the Vue , will I still end up with 5v ? In other works, does the 12v to 5v need 12v to start with or will 9v be ok and still end up with 5v.

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/VARMINATOR/Mobile%20Uploads/image_22.jpeg
One of the new HDMI Power modules for the Vue would be handy in this situation because it will take a 5-28v.  

Welcome

the DC to DC converter you are using might work you would need to try it, they will usually work if the output is 3-4 volts lower then input voltage.

So with 9vdc input and  5vdc output.  The out voltage is 4 volts lower then the input voltage using 9vdc,  it should work.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I just learned today that you can get Taus upgraded to Vues.

I'm a super happy dude.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 8:02:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I just learned today that you can get Taus upgraded to Vues.

I'm a super happy dude.
View Quote

I thought the tau2 core cost more then the vues?
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#33]
What does the vue do that the tau 2 won't do?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

• Does not require a genius to operate(my favorite)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What does the Vue Pro do that the tau 2 won't do?

Thanks

I'm just saying that I got a long just fine with a Tau for years.  :D

The biggest problem with the Tau is that all the off the shelf drone goodies are built for the Vue and not a Tau.  So unless you want to rebalance/modify the gimbal you choose, you need a Vue.

My problem is that I have a couple of Taus and no Vues.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The biggest problem with the Tau is that all the off the shelf drone goodies are built for the Vue and not a Tau.  So unless you want to rebalance/modify the gimbal you choose, you need a Vue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does the Vue Pro do that the tau 2 won't do?

Thanks

It's good you have the option to flash it to get it to do what you want it to do.

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#38]
The GoLight Stryker has mounting features for a slip ring.  Just remove the hard stops and drop in the slip ring.  I modified a couple a few years ago to allow continuous 360 degree panning and added a FLIR core.  Pretty sweet setup.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Don't chase rabbits.  No matter how much fun it seems.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hard Ware you will have it figured out in a day or 2 right!?    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FLIR VUE UAV  

I just haven't found a long enough extension cord to run it

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

FLIR VUE UAV  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FLIR VUE UAV  

Doesn't look like a Vue to me.  Looks like a Tau with VPC module.

I'm looking forward to the Lepton and Boson based UAS products from Flir.  Should be lower price points than Vue Pro.  Smaller form factors should also facilitate adding a vis camera.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#46]
sweeeeeeeet
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View Quote
+1 very nice.

Get that 100mm lense and FLIR up on a drone next.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#49]
I took another look at those pics and I'm kinda bummed out.

I thought they were somehow taking the digital signal and formatting it into HDMI, but it looks like they are just slurping NTSC from the USB port and converting to HDMI, so you still have NTSC quality video coming out.  There will be a little less cable loss I guess but still, kinda lame.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top