Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2016 12:34:32 PM EDT
Is there either a kit with the strap, plate and arm and so forth that is everything you need to mount to a skateboard type helmet, or a purpose built lightweight NV helmet w arm and mount??  

I don't really want another project right now where I have to piece something together and do mods and all that to get it setup.  

Is there something that is adjustable side to side as well as up and down?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean other than the Team Wendy or Ops core bump helmets? Those are pretty plug and play with no mods necessary. If you really like the skateboard idea there are the LWP options or the night cap if you want really light weight. It sounds like you're trying to build your own helmet without having to do any modifications?  

ETA: Here are the most readily available options at various price points: https://tnvc.com/shop/category/helmets/

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I either want a helmet that is complete setup w everything

Or a "just add skate helmet" kit w the arm and everything to fasten to any cheap helmet.  

Prefer the first but holy shit some of the stuff on the page you linked is expensive.

ETA, since I am not needing any protection from an actual helmet, perhaps either the nightcap or the "skull crusher" would do, it looks highly adjustable.  I guess I would just need an arm or bracket or whatever to go between the PVS and the headgear?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Or a "just add skate helmet" kit w the arm and everything to fasten to any cheap helmet.  

Prefer the first but holy shit some of the stuff on the page you linked is expensive.

ETA, since I am not needing any protection from an actual helmet, perhaps that "skull crusher" would do, it looks highly adjustable.  I guess I would just need an arm or bracket or whatever to go between the PVS and the headgear?
View Quote

Don't get a skull crusher. Or if you want one, buy mine.

Get a Crye Nightcap if you don't want to spend the $$ on a TW.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

ETA, since I am not needing any protection from an actual helmet, perhaps that "skull crusher" would do, it looks highly adjustable.  I guess I would just need an arm or bracket or whatever to go between the PVS and the headgear?
View Quote

I would go for the nightcap since you just want something to mount the NV to your head. It's pretty stable, though the main advantage of a bump helmet (and to an even greater extent for some uses, a ballistic helmet) is the stability it provides.

For all things NV, buy once cry once. The last thing you want is your $2k NV to snap off your airsoft grade helmet.

I personally use a Team Wendy LTP and love it. Had an Ops Core Base Jump, but feel the LTP is superior.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you talking about the skull crusher listed on the TNVC site for $160 or do you mean the standard issue skull crusher that came w your NVG?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#6]
This is the team Wendy helmet of which you speak?

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/team-wendy-exfil-ltp-carbon-mesh-helmet-cover.html?_iv_code=2AX-FS-ELCMHC-71-MHC-MC&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CKT3tKzg2swCFUY6gQodDfoIEw

$62
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 8:14:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/team-wendy-exfil-ltp-carbon-mesh-helmet-cover.html?_iv_code=2AX-FS-ELCMHC-71-MHC-MC&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CKT3tKzg2swCFUY6gQodDfoIEw

http://1.op.ht/260-260-ffffff/opplanet-team-wendy-exfil-ltp-carbon-mesh-helmet-cover-71-mhc-cb-main.jpg

$62
View Quote

That's a helmet cover.

Here is the helmet itself.

https://tnvc.com/shop/team-wendy-exfil-ltp-bump-helmet/
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Are you talking about the skull crusher listed on the TNVC site for $160 or do you mean the standard issue skull crusher that came w your NVG?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://tnvc.com/shop/crye-precision-nightcap™-nvg-platform/
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I can vouch for the Nightcap. It's an affordable and solid platform for NVGs. In addition to that, you will need a NVG mount and a shroud for it. In the Team Wendy helmet the shroud is integrated to it. A Norotos Rhino II and a J-arm will do just fine, and then you need the shroud, Norotos mounts come with two different kind of interfaces, so if you get them used (Rhinos go really cheap used) better get them as a package just to be sure.

Crye Nightcap
Norotos Rhino II
Norotos Universal Shroud
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 5:38:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's a helmet cover.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://1.op.ht/260-260-ffffff/opplanet-team-wendy-exfil-ltp-carbon-mesh-helmet-cover-71-mhc-cb-main.jpg

$62

That's a helmet cover.

Yikes$300

it is probably worth it butI don't think I can swing that now with everything else I got going on
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Ops Core has the "Base Jump" for $200 and the nightcap is even cheaper (nightcap + shroud=~$160) and really comfortable.

It seems like you aren't really familiar with the NV accessory market. If you spend some time at TNVC's site or just spend some time reading around here, you'll see there are lots of options to accomplish what you want to do.

You can get the LWP helmet and just buy a shroud to mount directly to the helmet. There are, in fact, helmet strap kits to mount a shroud to a helmet as well, but the cheapest of those options will put you into nightcap+shroud territory anyway, not including the helmet you'd use. https://tnvc.com/shop/wilcox-l4-ratchet-strap-shroud/

The bottom line, however, is none of this stuff is cheap, and you'll find you get what you pay for in this market more than some others.

You can get a cheap airsoft helmet with a built-in NVG shroud for ~$60 on amazon, but it will be uncomfortable to wear and the shroud will be made of cheap plastic that you can't trust to keep your expensive PVS14 from simply falling off. You can get a cheaper base jump/skateboard helmet with a shroud or strap system, but if you ever actually use your NVGs, you'll likely find yourself buying a OC or TW rig eventually anyway on top of what you already spent (initial helmet rig+TW=~$450 invested into NV helmets?).

You clearly are familiar with the EE here, maybe you can find a good deal? In any case, we have all tried to help you better understand the options and what to pay attention to when looking for a helmet/mount. There's good info in this thread already and tons more in the NV forum. Good luck.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#12]
As a guy who has built many skateboard helmets you will soon hate it. In the old days it was all we had unless you wanted a ballistic helmet. Then the pre-drilled protec deals came out and they were better but still not up to snuff. The Nightcap which I currently use is pretty good. I have an Opscore but rarely use it. The Team Wendy are the best for comfort.

So if you want cheap with reasonable comfort and functionality get the Nightcap, Rhino II and the universal shroud. I have several mounts and a few Gucci ones but the Rhino II is vastly superior to its predecessor the Rhino and does the job nicely.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As a guy who has built many skateboard helmets you will soon hate it. In the old days it was all we had unless you wanted a ballistic helmet. Then the pre-drilled protec deals came out and they were better but still not up to snuff. The Nightcap which I currently use is pretty good. I have an Opscore but rarely use it. The Team Wendy are the best for comfort.

So if you want cheap with reasonable comfort and functionality get the Nightcap, Rhino II and the universal shroud. I have several mounts and a few Gucci ones but the Rhino II is vastly superior to its predecessor the Rhino and does the job nicely.
View Quote

Very well stated.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:11:40 AM EDT
[#14]
ths so much guys.  I gather that it isn't going to be cheap.  I really appreciate your input, I try to learn from other's rather than reinventing the wheel.  It sounds lime my only reasonable options are the TW or hte night cap.  There is a way to cantilever the night cap right?

tell me, if I get the accessories to go w/ the night cap, could I eventually use them on the Team Wendy helmet?  Or would I have to get the $300 helmet and all new arms and stuff for it?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#15]
If you get an arm that fits the Norotos Universal Shroud and not the Norotos Propietary one then you are all set for an upgrade later on. Basically all mounts use the shroud type in the first link and Team Wendy has a shroud integrated that conforms to that spec. If you look around for used, any shroud that looks like it takes in a rectangular shaped NVG mount will do, like Wilcox L4, VAS shroud. The thing won't be so expensive if you get the Rhino II and the shroud used, you can probably find them combined for $50.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:11:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I can vouch for the Nightcap. It's an affordable and solid platform for NVGs. In addition to that, you will need a NVG mount and a shroud for it. In the Team Wendy helmet the shroud is integrated to it. A Norotos Rhino II and a J-arm will do just fine, and then you need the shroud, Norotos mounts come with two different kind of interfaces, so if you get them used (Rhinos go really cheap used) better get them as a package just to be sure.

Crye Nightcap
Norotos Rhino II
Norotos Universal Shroud
View Quote

Yikes, that is like $440 just for the rhino mount and the universal shroud!  You guys aren't kidding abotu it being expensive.  I may just have to run the pvs behind the red dot on the gun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:13:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you get an arm that fits the Norotos Universal Shroud and not the Norotos Propietary one then you are all set for an upgrade later on. Basically all mounts use the shroud type in the first link and Team Wendy has a shroud integrated that conforms to that spec. If you look around for used, any shroud that looks like it takes in a rectangular shaped NVG mount will do, like Wilcox L4, VAS shroud. The thing won't be so expensive if you get the Rhino II and the shroud used, you can probably find them combined for $50.
View Quote

okay.  Thx so much.

So if I get the team wendy helmet linked earlier in the thread, it still needs this universal shroud added to it or it can already host the universal arm as such for the $300?  

Here is the closeup of the front of the TW helmet as it comes for $300

If that thing could host the arm as pictured then it hardly makes sense to buy the night cap and a universal shroud new for $250 when the TW is only $50 more, unless of course I can find the universal mounting shroud for used cheap.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, that thing can host the arm, that is the shroud indeed. With TW you "save" that cost, and the TW shroud (which is actually a Wilcox shroud) is great.

As you noticed, the Nightcap solution is not cheap either, but like I said the Rhino II plus a shroud for it have really low value used, even in perfect condition. You should take a peek at EE or even eBay if you feel lucky. The shroud does not need to be the Norotos Universal shroud, pretty much any shroud but this one goes.

Like: all of these that look like they take a rectangular shaped mount interface into them and not the 6 sided one linked earlier

As an example, the Ops Core skeleton shroud is priced reasonably.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yikes, that is like $440 just for the rhino mount and the universal shroud!  You guys aren't kidding abotu it being expensive.  I may just have to run the pvs behind the red dot on the gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crye Nightcap
Norotos Rhino II
Norotos Universal Shroud

You can find Rhino's for under $100 on eBay. ArmsUnlimited had Wilcox shrouds for $60 earlier this year.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I would recommend the Team Wendy. You will be happy you went with it.

Here is 10% off the Team Wendy Helmet. You can also call TNVC, I believe they will match it.

Here is a Rhino II mount. Keep an eye out and you might find it cheaper. I got mine for $45.

And here is a J Arm
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 6:48:59 AM EDT
[#21]
I picked up several Rhino II's off ebay new for $35-40 shipped. Same for the TW, picked mine up new with tags for half of retail on Ebay.

I have a TW for myself and a protec as a loaner/buddy helmet. After running the TW for a couple years I put the protec on a couple weekends ago to get it fitted for a buddy.....I would quit night hunting if I had to wear it full time
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top