Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2016 11:46:58 AM EDT
Anyone try one of these out? Looks like holosun is getting into the IR game.

http://www.holosun.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNhnAj4jgUM
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone try one of these out? Looks like holosun is getting into the IR game.

http://www.holosun.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=59
View Quote

Too expensive, IMHO. I can get a proven IR laser with IR Illum and slaved vis laser (A3) for only $250 more.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#2]
^ What he said. If they were a few hundred cheaper than I would give it a shot.

I was honestly excited when they announced them at SHOT, but when I saw the MSRP I figured they would be a flop.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I used the contact form and asked them about availability a few days ago. I got responses from both their Asian team and US team.

The Asian guy said they were still building production capacity and would be another three months before they were available. The US guy said they were looking at September to be available here. Which makes sense.

I would hope to find some for less than MSRP once they are available.

But I do agree with the previous posters, for only a $200 or so difference, less during sale season, the DBAL-A3 is a known quality.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#4]
The green and IR slaved laser version lists at $646.  That is on par with the CQBL's street price, but with a green laser.  I wonder what operating temperature range the green laser has.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#5]
The green and IR slaved laser version lists at $646.  That is on par with the CQBL's street price, but with a green laser.  I wonder what operating temperature range the green laser actually has.  Specs list a range of "-40 to 51".  Assuming that is Celcius, a range of -90 - 123 F seems a bit absurd.  I ain't using a damn thing outside at -90.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like the green & ir laser is in stock at SLR Rifle Works for $495. Black only.

Very tempting. But I need me some FDE!
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks like the green & ir laser is in stock at SLR Rifle Works for $495. Black only.

View Quote

It's actually $395 with the coupon code, free shipping too... Could not resist, just ordered one to try out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's actually $395 with the coupon code, free shipping too... Could not resist, just ordered one to try out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now THAT is a price where I could see a LOT of units being moved.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.holosun.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=100

Give me that at around $700 and you'll have my interest and attention.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great deal! Just ordered one.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:25:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
http://www.holosun.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=100

View Quote

Well, the dual laser is selling for about 250 below msrp. So that one might go for 800 on the same deal.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well, the dual laser is selling for about 250 below msrp. So that one might go for 800 on the same deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

true
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let us know your thoughts on it once you've gotten to play with it...
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:10:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Can't wait to see the review
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:57:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Just got the laser yesterday. I haven't mounted it on a rifle yet but did take it out to see how well it works.

The unit was made well, was compact compared to most IR/visible lasers and worked exactly like it was advertised.

Started out with the visible green laser which I could get out to about 300 yards before it became hard to see on anything that wasn't a lighter color. Switched over to the IR and it was plenty powerful as we were able to see the laser dot at 1,000+ yards. We tested it on a person at a couple yards and it gave a bloom of about 4 inches but once it got out to 30+ yards the bloom was very small with a very visible dot the whole time. We did shine it at a stop sign and that turned the bloom into about a 6 foot circle but we could still make out the dot pretty easy.

The controls were easy to manipulate with the switch from off to either visible or IR laser a little mushy but it did work perfectly fine. The pressure pad on the unit was easy to use and would hold the laser on as long as it was held or with a quick double tap it would remain on. This was also true with the remote pressure pad. We didn't keep it on long enough to test the 5 minutes timer that turns it off as we always turned it off before then.

Overall it was a very nice laser especially for the price. I was even going to pick up another one but they raised the price by $75 and took away the coupon which raised it another $100. So, it now retails for $550. I got it for $375 which was a smokin deal and I wish I would have bought 4 at that price. For the price it is selling now is about the right market price.

The only thing I didn't care for was the picatinny rail as for me it added no function and is milled into the body so I can't remove it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another holosun as I am impressed with the size and ability of this laser but for the higher price I will wait for their LS221G&IR which is even smaller and lighter to come down to around $500.

P.S. I thought the magnet that they embeded on the side of the unit to secure the laser lens cap when it was open was brilliant.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I saw a few of their lasers at SHOT and was impressed with their size, but I didn't get a chance to handle them.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just got the laser yesterday. I haven't mounted it on a rifle yet but did take it out to see how well it works.

The unit was made well, was compact compared to most IR/visible lasers and worked exactly like it was advertised.

Started out with the visible green laser which I could get out to about 300 yards before it became hard to see on anything that wasn't a lighter color. Switched over to the IR and it was plenty powerful as we were able to see the laser dot at 1,000+ yards. We tested it on a person at a couple yards and it gave a bloom of about 4 inches but once it got out to 30+ yards the bloom was very small with a very visible dot the whole time. We did shine it at a stop sign and that turned the bloom into about a 6 foot circle but we could still make out the dot pretty easy.

The controls were easy to manipulate with the switch from off to either visible or IR laser a little mushy but it did work perfectly fine. The pressure pad on the unit was easy to use and would hold the laser on as long as it was held or with a quick double tap it would remain on. This was also true with the remote pressure pad. We didn't keep it on long enough to test the 5 minutes timer that turns it off as we always turned it off before then.

Overall it was a very nice laser especially for the price. I was even going to pick up another one but they raised the price by $75 and took away the coupon which raised it another $100. So, it now retails for $550. I got it for $375 which was a smokin deal and I wish I would have bought 4 at that price. For the price it is selling now is about the right market price.

The only thing I didn't care for was the picatinny rail as for me it added no function and is milled into the body so I can't remove it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another holosun as I am impressed with the size and ability of this laser but for the higher price I will wait for their LS221G&IR which is even smaller and lighter to come down to around $500.

P.S. I thought the magnet that they embeded on the side of the unit to secure the laser lens cap when it was open was brilliant.
View Quote

Thanks for the review recoil.....wish slr still had that price if they knocked it back down to 375$ I'd probably grab a few now
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess they expect you to put your illuminator on that side rail.

Interesting that it isn't removable though. That kind of sucks, but for the value, you can't argue.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks for the review recoil.....wish slr still had that price if they knocked it back down to 375$ I'd probably grab a few now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The coupon is there and worked for me...... Knocked it down to $450
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

375$ has a better ring to it
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:10:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry for the bad info as I did test it again and the $100 off coupon code is working for me now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well someone must have been listening. It's now on sale for $467.50. With the coupon code, that makes it $367.50
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 7:02:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Has anyone got their hands on the LS321 laser/illuminator yet?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Well......you guys just cost me $367.50.  Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Coupon?
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Coupon?
View Quote

Go to the link, the coupon code is in the description.  Its "HD109", case sensitive.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone besides Recoil get their hands on one yet?  Looking for another take before ordering.  That price looks pretty attractive, though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:06:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in.

Ok, picked up another one but not 3 more like I said I wanted too. After seeing what OsoGrande posted from the shot show I decided to wait and maybe pick up on of those but with the price of $367 that is just hard not to pass up for a good quality vis and IR laser.

Now for the bad news...it actually isn't that bad but I have mounted it to the gun and the quick release isn't anything to write home about. I ended up securing it to the rail then I had to screw it down making it very unlikely that I will be able to quick release it without any tools. With that behind us I still think it is a fantastic laser for the price and once they streamline the device making it smaller and lighter without the picatinny rail milled into the side it would be exactly what I wanted short of collocating lasers.

Here is a pic on my rifle (I guess the only other thing I would want is one with keymod attachments so it doesn't stick half an inch out from my rail):

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#29]
WTH....Didn't buy anything else for Memorial Day...So....@ $367.....IN.

Strangely their site wouldn't permit me to use the coupon code via PC today saying it had reached its max or was no longer in use.  I searched my phone and it was still stored with the discount.  So, there it is...I fent...

Recoil, I blame you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ok, picked up another one but not 3 more like I said I wanted too. After seeing what OsoGrande posted from the shot show I decided to wait and maybe pick up on of those but with the price of $367 that is just hard not to pass up for a good quality vis and IR laser.

Now for the bad news...it actually isn't that bad but I have mounted it to the gun and the quick release isn't anything to write home about. I ended up securing it to the rail then I had to screw it down making it very unlikely that I will be able to quick release it without any tools. With that behind us I still think it is a fantastic laser for the price and once they streamline the device making it smaller and lighter without the picatinny rail milled into the side it would be exactly what I wanted short of collocating lasers.

Here is a pic on my rifle (I guess the only other thing I would want is one with keymod attachments so it doesn't stick half an inch out from my rail):

http://i64.tinypic.com/2cna5h3.jpg
View Quote

Beefy.  However, if it holds zero it's a steal.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonder if an aftermarket mount like a larue would work on it
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The pic is not quite right for what the size is. It just looks bigger since it is closer to the camera and sits a little to far from the rail (it would be closer on a rail that already had a picatinny but having to add the picatinny to the keymod makes it sit higher). The and the gun it is on has an 8.3 inch barrel with a relatively small rail setup.

In my hands it felt smaller but on the gun it looked bigger but it is smaller than most the other IR/vis laser setups.

I still have yet to head to the range and test the zero out as I am reloading .308 and don't want to change over to 300BLK until I'm done with the .308. I want to test the new poly coated 220gr from leatherhead bullets so it may be a couple weeks before I can get those reloaded and to the range.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be tough as the mount they have on it is milled into it just like the extra picatinny rail.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
WTH....Didn't buy anything else for Memorial Day...So....@ $367.....IN.

Strangely their site wouldn't permit me to use the coupon code via PC today saying it had reached its max or was no longer in use.  I searched my phone and it was still stored with the discount.  So, there it is...I fent...

Recoil, I blame you.
View Quote

If you like it I will happily take all the credit. If you don't you must have misinterpreted everything I said.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Does it obscure optics badly at 12?
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:29:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The pic is not quite right for what the size is. It just looks bigger since it is closer to the camera and sits a little to far from the rail (it would be closer on a rail that already had a picatinny but having to add the picatinny to the keymod makes it sit higher). The and the gun it is on has an 8.3 inch barrel with a relatively small rail setup.

In my hands it felt smaller but on the gun it looked bigger but it is smaller than most the other IR/vis laser setups.

I still have yet to head to the range and test the zero out as I am reloading .308 and don't want to change over to 300BLK until I'm done with the .308. I want to test the new poly coated 220gr from leatherhead bullets so it may be a couple weeks before I can get those reloaded and to the range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thx
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Does it obscure optics badly at 12?
View Quote

On the rifle I put it on with the small acog and short barrel it did obscure the bottom 1/3 of the scope when I tried to put it on the top rail. On a longer barrel or with a higher dot/scope setup I think it would obscure much less. Putting it on the side makes it so I can easily push the button on or off without the need for a pressure pad and it doesn't obscure the scope at all.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was going to mount mine to the 12 o'clock on a rifle that wears a DD Omega.  For some reason, my QD will not tighten to this top rail (or bottom for that matter).  It will work on the left or right rails, or the top picatinny to my pistol setup with a keymod & picatinny top.  Not sure why it will not tighten to the Omega's 12 o'clock section.  It rocks once attached regardless of how much tension I put on the mount.  I tried other picatinny accessories on that Omega's rail section just to make sure I wasn't crazy (as I've never really run anything on it) and they all worked fine and tight.  Something must be off with the tolerances between the qd unit on the Holosun and the DD rail.  

Other than that, it's a well built unit.  I'm with Recoil in that I wish it didn't have the machined picatinny and the QD is kind of pointless once you have to tighten it to the rail with the opposing side's screw anyways.  Haven't shot with it yet, but I was playing with it in the yard and the green laser was plenty visible out to 100 yards day time (farthest distance I have before trees).  Same goes for the IR at night.  Holosun nearly has a winner here if it proves to be durable/reliable.  Just take off the picatinny and don't machine the QD in as the only mount option.

As a side note, if I had been able to mount to this rifle's 12:00, it would not appear to obscure the TA33.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I was going to mount mine to the 12 o'clock on a rifle that wears a DD Omega.  For some reason, my QD will not tighten to this top rail (or bottom for that matter).  It will work on the left or right rails, or the top picatinny to my pistol setup with a keymod & picatinny top.  Not sure why it will not tighten to the Omega's 12 o'clock section.  It rocks once attached regardless of how much tension I put on the mount.  I tried other picatinny accessories on that Omega's rail section just to make sure I wasn't crazy (as I've never really run anything on it) and they all worked fine and tight.  Something must be off with the tolerances between the qd unit on the Holosun and the DD rail.  

Other than that, it's a well built unit.  I'm with Recoil in that I wish it didn't have the machined picatinny and the QD is kind of pointless once you have to tighten it to the rail with the opposing side's screw anyways.  Haven't shot with it yet, but I was playing with it in the yard and the green laser was plenty visible out to 100 yards day time (farthest distance I have before trees).  Same goes for the IR at night.  Holosun nearly has a winner here if it proves to be durable/reliable.  Just take off the picatinny and don't machine the QD in as the only mount option.

As a side note, if I had been able to mount to this rifle's 12:00, it would not appear to obscure the TA33.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

Sounds like a dremel tool aught to fix that side pic rail ;)
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#40]
That is too bad about not getting in to latch on properly. I put it on my upper rail but never tried to tighten it down since it took up too much of the optic. It does tighten down on two separate picatinnies that I put on the rail. I think you are right about the latch it shouldn't be milled in as it isn't that great and I would have liked to put my own or it should have just been a screw on.

Just got my second one and it looks as if it had been used and I don't mean a little. It has wear marks from where it attaches to the picatinny both on the latch and on the bottom of the laser, it has a small layer of dirt that almost looks like rust inside of the screws. The visible laser worked fine and I haven't been able to test the IR as I am out of town. The first one I got was pristine and looked brand new this one does not.

I have not contacted SLR yet and don't think they intentionally sent me a used one but I will contact them and see what they will do about it.

I won't hesitate to buy another Holosun especially for the price they had but I won't buy another one of these units until they fix the rail and mounting system. The two I have right now from them is plenty and once they fix those two items I will happily purchase two more as the package is solid and the lasers work great too.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 5:25:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

I have a small milling machine and had the same though as you. The only thing holding me back is what it would look like with bare metal or even a bad paint job over it. Plus it does worry me that putting a bunch of precision optics and electronics through the heat and vibration that a milling machine can do to it may damage it. I will be happy to volunteer anyone that currently owns one to try and post pics.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I have a small milling machine and had the same though as you. The only thing holding me back is what it would look like with bare metal or even a bad paint job over it. Plus it does worry me that putting a bunch of precision optics and electronics through the heat and vibration that a milling machine can do to it may damage it. I will be happy to volunteer anyone that currently owns one to try and post pics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

LOL

Honestly I think they were just trying to offer something like feature parity with the CQBL-1 which you can side-mount a light to using this: https://tnvc.com/shop/unity-tactical-fusion-cqbl-1-rail-clamp/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top