Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/4/2016 3:57:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:57:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Clip ons are for newbs who actually are active during the day.  

(Sorry couldn't help it)
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
So, gtg in front of an Elcan 1x4?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Are these units culminated?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Look forward to hearing more about it!

And there's a white hair on the stock... It bothers me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes sir, this is a dedicated clip-on device fully collimated in that regard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are these units culminated?

Yes sir, this is a dedicated clip-on device fully collimated in that regard.

Great, Thank you.

I knew I spelled it wrong.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:34:47 AM EDT
[#10]
So I am assuming that this unit will come with no crosshair due to being a dedicated clip-on. No magnification except maybe digital? Would the unit have the ability to be used as a handheld for spotting?
Thanks
Sorry for all the questions, I'm planning on buying another thermal around first of the year.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So I am assuming that this unit will come with no crosshair due to being a dedicated cip-on. No magnification except maybe digital? Would the unit have the ability to be used as a handheld for spotting?
Thanks
Sorry for all the questions, I'm planning on buying another thermal around first of the year.
View Quote

It looks like it has a dovetail mount so I am bettering it can be used helmet mounted or as a handheld.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#12]
It's got the word Sniper in it so it must be legit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#13]
How much?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#15]
So, in the picture at the bottom, which reticle do you use for an aiming point?  Clearly there are 2 different aiming points.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#18]
So my main question is, if the other IR defense unit can function as a clip on, what advantage is there in buying this one?  
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Price at $9,495 with the D-LOC mount and $9,995.00 with the Wilcox flip Mount.  This new clip-on is truly in the Mil-Spec category going up against the likes of the LWTS and T-70's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much?

Price at $9,495 with the D-LOC mount and $9,995.00 with the Wilcox flip Mount.  This new clip-on is truly in the Mil-Spec category going up against the likes of the LWTS and T-70's.

I would hope that the snipe-irs performace is better than both the t70 and lwts due to the ir being 12 micron vs 17 micron units.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Does the objective lens focus manually?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hey Ford, objective is fixed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does the objective lens focus manually?

Hey Ford, objective is fixed.

Pooey
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice looking system I like it.  Now I'm ready for the new X (320 core)  IR defense models to hit the market I have some money saved back for a X patrol
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Damn sure would work good in front of any of my half dozen ACOGs, but the controls are on the right hand side, that sux for me???

Much easier to use my left thumb for any instrument manipulation in the field during a hunt.

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's the beauty of using our Tactical Augment Pressure Switch (TAPS) with the new SNIPE-IR. It will be the first time a dedicated pressure switch will be used to control menu selection and the NUC operation. No more reaching for buttons, manipulation this or that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn sure would work good in front of any of my half dozen ACOGs, but the controls are on the right hand side, that sux for me???

Much easier to use my left thumb for any instrument manipulation in the field during a hunt.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/HK%20Coyote1/HK%20Coyote%201.jpg

That's the beauty of using our Tactical Augment Pressure Switch (TAPS) with the new SNIPE-IR. It will be the first time a dedicated pressure switch will be used to control menu selection and the NUC operation. No more reaching for buttons, manipulation this or that.

Mmmmmm, that sounds and looks good!

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:06:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:51:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Unfortunately the release has been pushed back a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice looking system I like it.  Now I'm ready for the new X (320 core)  IR defense models to hit the market I have some money saved back for a X patrol

Unfortunately the release has been pushed back a bit.

Hopefully not a far back as the WASP...
Whatever happened that that thing?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:53:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:00:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:48:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't see the snipe-ir for sale on the TNVC website yet. Are they out yet?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:27:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Why are they so much more expensive compared to the REAP IR? What are the differences between the 2 optics?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:56:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Still no update to the IR Patrol. Was told to look for one in summer, now told there is nothing on the horizon by Don. It's unacceptable as the Patrol still has serious issues that need addressing. They don't have time to update the Patrol but they have time and resources to release two new units, the REAP-IR and the SNIPE-IR? I mean it's kind of a kick in the nuts. If you have bought a Patrol W and are disappointed with the lack of functionality as a weapon sight please reach out to [email protected]. He said there have only been two people to complain ... I had about ten people contact me the last time I brought this issue up. The Patrol should receive an upgrade --- they know the knob actuates under recoil but they haven't fixed it. The Patrol should have an XY location for the reticle, it still doesn't. This is the email from Chip at TNVC who has been great to work with:

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#45]
"Hi Ken,

I just got off the phone with the guys at IRD.  They understand your concerns and asked me to please relate to you that they are not leaving you or any other IR Patrol customers behind.  They are currently working on the upgrade program for the IR Patrol series.  This upgrade will provide the same software functionality as the REAP-IR to legacy Patrol models.  But, it is not as simple as downloading the REAP-IR software into a Patrol.  The REAP-IR software is based on the REAP-IR lens system (35mm 2.5x) and needs to be modified and calibrated to the Patrol hardware (19mm 1.5x).  The upgrade is coming, though.  Best case scenario, they are looking to release it in 90 days.

After rereading your comments about your scopes, it seems to me that this upgrade will give you exactly what you are wanting: REAP-IR weapon sight functionality and features, in a Patrol 19mm 1.5x package.  I know that this update release is still a few months out, but it is coming.  In fact, I had spoken with Scott Henry about this very thing several months ago when they initially launched the IR Hunter upgrade program.  So rest easy that you will get exactly what you want.  But, you will have to wait just a little while until it is ready.  Thank you for your patience and I hope you have a great rest of the week.

Charles Lasky "

Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Here is a conversation from a frustrated IR Defense customer that reached out to me the last time I was placated:

"Great post on the patrol I have similar feelings on IR Defense as a company . I bought one of the first IR Hunter MK scopes and it was a decent hunting scope overall, but it had a few major software issues. I truely felt abandoned by IR Defense they just moved to the MK II and said no firmware upgrades for MK I owners. I was left holding a 6 month old $4000 scope with issues I should have forced them to take it back for refund /exchange even if I had to use my family attorney. The did the same thing with MK II now.

I love the looks of the newer products and would like to buy a patrol, reaper-IR and even considered the newer X3 models coming out. Then I remember the MK I and I tell myself hell no I'm not ready to forgive nor fully trust IR defense.

People give ATN so much SH@@ here fact is aleast they offer firmware upgrades when needed and don'tcharge you hundreds of $$$$ if ones available! Sadly ATN has given me better service on their thermal products the last two years?"
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#47]
So please reach out to Don at [email protected] so he can put some pressure on his boss Scott to keep their product line updated and do the right thing by their customers. Again thank you to TNVC for working on my behalf but I told Don I honestly wouldn't mind swapping the IR Patrol for two PVS14's at this point and going with a FLIR in the future for a dedicated weapon scope if an update to the Patrol isn't ever going to be provided. I wanted to get this out there mostly to encourage the people who reached out to me but have been silent to IR Defense to do so and give them the opportunity to do the right thing but also to provide an honest experience of what I have gone through with a $6000 product (and I purchased two and thankfully did not purchase six which was the original intention.)
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 6:07:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Not to beat a dead horse, but IRD does seem to have rolled out a model of forcing the customer to pay for firmware updates.

More to the point, things like the dial issue on the Mk 2 (and Mk 3), where if you turn them too fast then menus freeze, etc., can not be fixed...

I feel that if there are issues, they should be updating the firmware for free. Functionality upgrades are different, and many companies charge for that.

Link Posted: 7/16/2016 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Paraphrasing as closely as I can I reiterated to Don that the Patrol sucks as a weapon sight but yet it's specifically marketed as a competent weapon sight AND clip on. Well what sort of slap in the face is it for people who bought it for the clip on functionality only to have IR Defense release something like the Snipe-IR and admit that the Patrol is, as Don said, "A shitty clip on" because of the collimation issues? I'd be tripping over myself to apologize to customers and figure out a way to make it right. If the Patrol was only marketed as a helmet mounted detection thermal it would be one thing but it's not. I don't have any personal beef, I want to see the company be successful because I like the form function of their products but they shouldn't be bringing beta products to market. I hope everyone who is considering a SNIPE-IR or a REAP-IR or anything strongly consider if you want to spend the type of money on something that will not be supported in the future because that's the boat a lot of people are in. In Don's defense and fairness he did fix and return the imaging issue relatively quickly (only for it to have the same problem an hour later). I get that one device will rarely do anything well but jeez if you say something will do something it should do it as advertised. Scott said they would fix the joystick actuating under recoil but they haven't and have nothing on the horizon per their own main technician. That's just unacceptable.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top