Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2016 6:53:45 PM EDT
Hi all,

I am a beginner at night vision so I am hoping some of you might have some advice for me.

I was looking at a Patriot 2 Night vision on Ebay that doesn't have an illuminator.
Its only Gen 2 - large Anvis Type. What is the value of one of these tubes?

Is Gen 2 more durable or Gen 3?

Thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Gen2 comes in many varieties, ones that are really bad (cheap Russian tubes) and top of the line Photonis that rivals (and exceeds in some areas) Gen3. So yeah, Gen2 is fine

But in reality the Gen2 that is affordable and easily available is probably ones from ATN / Armasight and NGI. From what it seems NGI units are the best spec wise and a pricetag of $2k is great, considering you get a decent tube with great glass (PVS-14). In practical terms these medium spec Gen2 tubes lose to Gen3 in overcast starlight scenarios, but that can be fixed with extra illumination and then they show a great picture under any lightning levels.

Mounting NV behind optics non-magnifying optics is rarely done, it's much more usable hanging from your noggin. There are mounts that allow rapid mounting from head to rifle and vice versa.

My guess for the price of your ATN Patriot 2 is around $300 - $500.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top