Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2016 6:16:08 PM EDT
Is a bright spot (looks to be one of the microchannels) normal/acceptable in a pvs 14? You can see through the spot,  it just appears as a brighter  (channel) than those around it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Some say "dim" bright spots are fine, but some say they too can start to grow. My guess it all depends on the brightness how vulnerable it might be. If your's is "transparent" it sounds like it's one of the better ones. I had a tube with a bright spot that was only visible when the daylight cover was on because the spot was on the zone3 that is black with the cap. It was not visible when there was any picture over it and never grew plus the tube was already 10 years old.

Is this the Gen2+ from NGI? I'm super eager to hear the specs!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#2]
It is visible with the day cap both off and on. It is the exact shape of one of the micro channels. Yes it's the NGI. It did not come with a spec sheet. I'll post pictures of the bright spot tonight. As far as a full comparison, that'll have to wait until this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#3]
It's more apperent in person. Hope this isn't an issue.

Maybe I worded what this could be wrong. Idk, it sorta looks like one of the microchannels is just brighter than those around it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It appears you also have the IR Lum on...Get out there and use it outside... All looks fine and a darn clean tube for a Gen2 system. My own unit is not as pretty as that one. I think I need Sam to build mine for me!

Enjoy the new unit!

Vic
View Quote

The IR has no effect on that bright channel. I've just never seen that before and was curious about what it was and whether it is normal or not. This weekend I plan to get out and use. I only got to play with it for a few minutes today due to work. almost the weekend though!  
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#6]
That looks weird, my knowledge absolutely stops here. Does not look dangerous in the sense that it could start eating the tube inside out, just cosmetic is my guess.

Bummer NGI monoculars don't come with specsheets, I was somehow 100% sure they did. Would've been nice to know and easier to compare without seeing in person.

NGI website for Sentinel Gen2 Plus

"This unit features a Gen 2 Photonis tube which touts an incredible amount of clarity for a Gen 2 system. These tubes come with data sheets, and will meet the minimum spec, defined at the bottom of this page."
View Quote

Only the best ones come with sheets then Same tubes anyway, just without the gain control.

Your tube looks otherwise very clean, and as far as I know it's true the Photonis commericial units tend to have blems, from the low spec ones to the Gen3 comparable ones just alike. Obviously there are clean tubes in the mix, but only the mil/leo (XD-4, XR5, INTENS) line has definite specs for what kind of blems are allowed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:09:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That looks weird, my knowledge absolutely stops here. Does not look dangerous in the sense that it could start eating the tube inside out, just cosmetic is my guess.

Bummer NGI monoculars don't come with specsheets, I was somehow 100% sure they did. Would've been nice to know and easier to compare without seeing in person.

Only the best ones come with sheets then Same tubes anyway, just without the gain control.

Your tube looks otherwise very clean, and as far as I know it's true the Photonis commericial units tend to have blems, from the low spec ones to the Gen3 comparable ones just alike. Obviously there are clean tubes in the mix, but only the mil/leo (XD-4, XR5, INTENS) line has definite specs for what kind of blems are allowed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

NGI website for Sentinel Gen2 Plus

"This unit features a Gen 2 Photonis tube which touts an incredible amount of clarity for a Gen 2 system. These tubes come with data sheets, and will meet the minimum spec, defined at the bottom of this page."

Hmm. Yeah, I noticed at one point they said a spec sheet would be included. The website states otherwise,  bit not too concerning.  I would just like to figure out exactly what that bright spot is. Like I've said, I've never seem anything like it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#8]

What you have is fixed pattern noise - it is usually visible in all monoculars, and usually only under brighter light conditions. Generally, it's a lot worse than that, but that's kind of relative since I don't know the conditions under which the image was taken.

I wouldn't worry about it - when it gets dark, you shouldn't notice it at all.

It is interesting though - and it's not one of the microchannels, but an entire bundle.  Still, often they have black lines around them and that one looks rather clean from the photo -

Regards

David
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:26:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What you have is fixed pattern noise - it is usually visible in all monoculars, and usually only under brighter light conditions. Generally, it's a lot worse than that, but that's kind of relative since I don't know the conditions under which the image was taken.

It is interesting though - and it's not one of the microchannels, but an entire bundle.  Still, often they have black lines around them and that one looks rather clean from the photo -

Regards
David
View Quote

It IS quite odd. It's seems visible in most conditions,  but I've very limited time with it. I'll need to play with it more when I get a chance to see.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Regards
David
View Quote

Is this exactly fixed pattern noise as there is no pattern Edit: well doh, of course it is, it is a fixed pattern, I mixed things up? Just one of the channel groups lighting up a little brighter and he said the IR illuminator does not make a difference, so guessing it shows when it's darker too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had a few Gen 3 tubes with that type of thing going on - it never really bothered me nor did it ever get any better or worse over time. If the rest of the tube is clean and it performs well, I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:00:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Multi-Gain Variation.  Artifact of how MCPs are manufactured.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:07:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

So nothing to be concerned about?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:53:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It won't cause a failure, if that's what you're asking, and unless the brightness variation exceeds allowable levels, it's not a milspec related issue either -

Regards

David
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:20:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Well I finally got some time with it. The spot during use completely disappears and is a non issue. Now that I had a chance to take a better look at it, I'm surprised I even noticed it. I feel like a dummy even bringing it up now that I've got some time with it. Current condition are heavy overcast with partial moon showing through slightly once in a great while, and decent amount of fog. I figured this would be a good time to see what it can do. I absolutely beats my Armamsight gen2 HD which also has a Photonis tube. It gathers light and resolves things in shadows MUCH better than the Armasight gen2. I also decided to get my gen3A PVS 14 out just to throw in the mix. It is certainly much closer to gen3 than the Aramsight pvs 14 gen2. The gen 3A is also a Armasight PVS 14 by the way. I absolutely love it. Tomorrow night, I will be able to get much more in depth with it and get some pictures up as well. NGI/TNVC definitely doesn't disappoint.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top