Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2016 2:40:26 PM EDT
Hey folks, quick question for ya. I just ordered the new 4.5x Thor HD scope and already own a pvs14 and team Wendy helmet setup. I've had success hunting hogs with the 14 and a laser/illuminate but got the thermal for spotting and to have an optic for further shots (I use the 3x on the 14 but it's big and heavy and would like to do away with it). So my question is can you look through a thermal scope with your pvs 14 in the down position on your eye? I ask because I'd like to take the first shot with the thermal and then immediately look up at the laser to engage the runners for larger FOV, as well as not having to worry as much with lead in a 30 Hz scope. Is this a doable feat? Or am I asking too much of the gear? Any input is useful.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean looking through the thermal with the PVS-14? Or having the 14 on the other eye and trying to get a good position so you can look through both without flipping the 14 up?

If you mean the former, the display is surely too bright. With some DIY modifications you could bring it down, a filter of some sorts. Technically there is nothing preventing looking to it, just set the thermal diopter close to 0 and have your 14 objective adjusted close to infinity. They need to "match" or you will see a blurry scene.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you mean looking through the thermal with the PVS-14? Or having the 14 on the other eye and trying to get a good position so you can look through both without flipping the 14 up?

If you mean the former, the display is surely too bright. With some DIY modifications you could bring it down, a filter of some sorts. Technically there is nothing preventing looking to it, just set the thermal diopter close to 0 and have your 14 objective adjusted close to infinity. They need to "match" or you will see a blurry scene.
View Quote

I mean the latter. 14 on left eye and scope with right eye. Reason being I don't have time after the first shot to flip it down and turn the 14 on while the hogs are running already. Just seeing if it's possible to have one on each eye just for shooting. I'd imagine it's pretty awkward but really only need it for one shot. Don't want anything to clash with my 6.8 recoil though and bust a lens or something.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll let you know after tonight.  I just got my monocle head mounted on a cheap bicycle helmet while waiting for my nightcap and am taking it out with the Thor tonight mounted to the  300 blackout.  
Edit:

This is my setup, trying to do what you're wanting to do is difficult,
but do-able.  You have to cant your head to one side to allow room for
the thermal to get past the rhino arm.  Awkward, but I think it *may*
work.  Kinda worried about the recoil bouncing the thermal into the
headgear.  Kinda disappointing. I wonder if one of the Wilcox systems
would allow more room.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Dang. Well once my scope comes in I guess I'll give it a shot. May just be stuck with taking the further shots and my friends can take the closer ones
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]
NVM

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:27:44 AM EDT
[#6]
A mount like Norotos INVG would allow for quicker flip down as you can push the monocular to the left, away from your face and not up. Though you still have a problem with the mount interfering with the scope. The profile when stowed to left is smaller than with a Rhino, but it's still there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#7]
If I were you I would use the night vision for navigation and use the thermal for shooting don't switch to NV after the first shot. I have more luck shooting running pigs with thermal.  Just my $.02
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I were you I would use the night vision for navigation and use the thermal for shooting don't switch to NV after the first shot. I have more luck shooting running pigs with thermal.  Just my $.02
View Quote

What thermal model are you running? Just concerned as I ordered a 4.5x. Great for those occasional 200 yard shots but not great for 50 and in yard runners
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I found last night I could life the thermal, cant the rifle sideways and scan with it for heat signature.  If you see something, lifting the mount up about 4 inches gives you clearance to shoot with the thermal.

And I agree with the above poster, no need to shoot with the PVS, the thermal scope beats it hands down in that arena. I found I was using the PVS solely for navigation.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What thermal model are you running? Just concerned as I ordered a 4.5x. Great for those occasional 200 yard shots but not great for 50 and in yard runners
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 2 thermal sights, a 4x and a 1x. With 4 power or higher magnification it can make it difficult for a close targets that are moving due to the narrow field of view.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top