Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2016 8:32:35 PM EDT
So I purchased this little guy after a couple of beers. I REALLY DON'T KNOW  what it was/ is or what to do with it? My thinking at the time was... " Sweet! I will be half was to building a set of ANVIS Binos!" I already have a PVS7d that I really like but hear Binos are the way to go.? Well when I got it, there is no way to mount to a helmet , or a rifle for that matter. The cheap ass battery cover comes off and the battery comes out, and my fat fingers can barley turn on the battery switch on /off  because the space is so tight between the housing. The Good News is the tube only has a a few blemishes on the out side edges of a F9815P Tube. What would you do with it. Cost will be a determining factor because my tax return is about dried up

Thanks for the input.

Not sure why the pics are not showing up? First time adding pics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqp2t289o03ip3u/2016-04-27%2012.28.23.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cf0f0ddxokedfs4/2016-04-27%2012.28.03.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzlmsl43ali0un7/2016-04-27%2012.28.14.jpg?dl=0
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I purchased this little guy after a couple of beers. I REALLY DON'T KNOW  what it was/ is or what to do with it? My thinking at the time was... " Sweet! I will be half was to building a set of ANVIS Binos!" I already have a PVS7d that I really like but hear Binos are the way to go.? Well when I got it, there is no way to mount to a helmet , or a rifle for that matter. The cheap ass battery cover comes off and the battery comes out, and my fat fingers can barley turn on the battery switch on /off  because the space is so tight between the housing. The Good News is the tube only has a a few blemishes on the out side edges of a F9815P Tube. What would you do with it. Cost will be a determining factor because my tax return is about dried up
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cf0f0ddxokedfs4/2016-04-27%2012.28.03.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzlmsl43ali0un7/2016-04-27%2012.28.14.jpg?dl=0

Thanks for the input.

Not sure why the pics are not showing up? First time adding pics.
This was the ebay listing info it has some pics of the thing.
View Quote

You need to use the image button instead of the URL button to embed images, and with dropbox you need to get the image URL by right clicking the imaga and selecting "copy image URL", then paste that here.

ANVIS was never really meant to be split like this, but as you can see it can be done. The tube and the optics can be recycled but if the body has been modified then that part can't, but that's the cheapest part too. There are other binos that accept ANVIS optics and tubes too, like the now popular Mod3. You would need another set of optics and a tube.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If I was you, I would buy an ANVIS MOD-3 pod. You can have your tube and optics installed in a pod and use it as a monocular. As you get more money later you can buy another tube, pod, and bridge and complete the goggle. A few dealers can help you do this, I used Ed Wilcox and I'd highly recommend him. There are also a few other AB night vision produced housings that are just monoculars that can take your ANVIS glass if you want to make a more functional device.

Your tube is a Gen 3, non-gated FOM 1600 limited tube. It shouldn't be too hard to find something that could work as its mate in a goggle. FOM 1600 tubes are actually pretty good tubes, a potential resolution of 64 lp/mm and up to 25 SNR is better than a lot of what is on the secondary market. The current tubes the US Gov is buying (OMNI VIII) minimum specs are a FOM of 1600.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I was you, I would buy an ANVIS MOD-3 pod. You can have your tube and optics installed in a pod and use it as a monocular. As you get more money later you can buy another tube, pod, and bridge and complete the goggle. A few dealers can help you do this, I used Ed Wilcox and I'd highly recommend him. There are also a few other AB night vision produced housings that are just monoculars that can take your ANVIS glass if you want to make a more functional device.

Your tube is a Gen 3, non-gated FOM 1600 limited tube. It shouldn't be too hard to find something that could work as its mate in a goggle. FOM 1600 tubes are actually pretty good tubes, a potential resolution of 64 lp/mm and up to 25 SNR is better than a lot of what is on the secondary market. The current tubes the US Gov is buying (OMNI VIII) minimum specs are a FOM of 1600.
View Quote

FOM 1600 tubes are export models, and while they can be good, they aren't as good as non-export models. And the min FOM for OMNI VIII is 2000 according to everything I can find that is open source.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I used the OMNI chart at the top of the forum, min S/N value of 25 and 64 lp/mm gives you 1600 FOM. Most export tubes are "OMNI V" design with non-gated power supplies (according to Excellis' spec sheets). The only other difference is the halo spec is often 1.2mm or greater vice 1.2mm or less, that is facilitated by the OMN-V type construction, PC and MPC are further apart. I've had a FOM 1600 limited tube and compared to a non-export tube with similar specs, they are impossible to tell apart. Once you start talking about FOM 1250 and below tubes things gets screwier.

Quoted:

FOM 1600 tubes are export models, and while they can be good, they aren't as good as non-export models. And the min FOM for OMNI VIII is 2000 according to everything I can find that is open source.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input. I think this is a good way to go. I'm guessing ED Wilcox is part of Wilcox engineering WEbsite??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top