Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2016 8:11:28 AM EDT
So I have been looking at thermal units for the past 2 years.  Unfortunately work has slowed a bunch and not making 1/3 of what I used to. I've read in a few places that some new stuff was coming out in the next 6 months. Is this true or just old news. I might wait till black Friday deals anyways. Just curious.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:36:40 AM EDT
[#2]
The FLIR Scout TK should be coming out within the next month or so at $600. It is lower resolution, but it may be enough for whatever you are trying to do.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The FLIR Scout TK should be coming out within the next month or so at $600. It is lower resolution, but it may be enough for whatever you are trying to do.
View Quote

I spoke to a vendor that has reviewed the TK and said its not that great. Kinda like one of the add-ons to a cell phone.
I believe he said the best bang for your buck is th HD19 right now.
But that could all change in a few months given how fast things are changing now.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The HD19 is still 2 grand, though, so "best bang for your buck" is relative. If you are shopping in the 2k price point, then nothing really touches the Hd19 in terms of features for the price. If someone has less than 1/3 of that to spend, then the TK is the only monocular on the market at that price point, so there's really nothing to compare it to apples/apples. I haven't played with it, but it does detect thermal, and it is in a much more convenient format than plugging something into a cellphone, so like I said... it might work for the OP's needs. :shrug:
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I will admit the TK looks neat

at that price point it will be hard not to have one "just because"
you have to look at it like this, $600 for the TK that is lightyears ahead of gen 1 night vision.

If the detection range for human/animals outdoors is 100-200 yards then I will def be buying one while I wait for the new FLIR scout with dovetail interface to release sometime next year.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
.... while I wait for the new FLIR scout with dovetail interface to release sometime next year.
View Quote

Hi xLucidx, where do you heard this?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
.... while I wait for the new FLIR scout with dovetail interface to release sometime next year.

from our super secret FLIR informant skypup.

it was in a thread I posted in a week or two ago.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if it will have the new Boson core?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wonder if it will have the new Boson core?
View Quote

its already killing me having to wait for its debut, dont make it worse.

I may buy a scout TK to hold me over.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep in mind that there will always be something new and awesome on the horizon.  The question is if it is worth the wait for new features or lower prices.  

That's a hard question to answer when you don't have any thermal already.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Keep in mind that there will always be something new and awesome on the horizon.  The question is if it is worth the wait for new features or lower prices.  

That's a hard question to answer when you don't have any thermal already.  
View Quote

very true

but for me the integrated dovetail mount is what I call a deal breaker or worth waiting for.

especially with 30hz and 60hz refresh rates it makes it a great option for head mounted thermal that wont break the bank.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#12]
At some point, you must jump in or be left so far behind that you may as well be blind in the dust bin of Human Vision.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:05:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Sooner or later you have to pull the trigger for sure or be left in the dark for another year. There's always something newer on the way,but that doesn't mean the current market isn't filled with impressive systems right now.

IF you already own thermal you can afford to hang around and wait to see what's around the corner. Just today I was reading the digital copy of Predator and spotted an add for the Skeet IR X mini mono/sight very cool unit I guess if they are putting adds in the Predator mag maybe they are selling these to the public now?

I have had $$$ burning a hole in my pocket for a while, but I've been holding out for a couple new products that should be out this year. I already have a full safe of thermal systems so can get by just fine till then.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We will have some very special announcements at the NRA show.  If you happen to be at the show, please stop by and say hi!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/NRA%20Banner_zpsrcerjfli.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I have been looking at thermal units for the past 2 years.  Unfortunately work has slowed a bunch and not making 1/3 of what I used to. I've read in a few places that some new stuff was coming out in the next 6 months. Is this true or just old news. I might wait till black Friday deals anyways. Just curious.

We will have some very special announcements at the NRA show.  If you happen to be at the show, please stop by and say hi!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/NRA%20Banner_zpsrcerjfli.jpg

ohhh thats tempting and very close to me

I might have to show up and finally meet you guys
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We received some TK units this week. Stay tuned for video. They actually have onboard recording.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We received some TK units this week. Stay tuned for video. They actually have onboard recording.

Care to post some video?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VERY interested on the detection range on these.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto, it would be great to detect deer at dawn when they're 100 yards away or so.
This could be perfect for bowhunting, I had a few deer sneak up and I didn't see the until to late.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top