Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2015 5:42:40 PM EDT

I wanted a safety lanyard to protect my NVD without spending over a hundred bucks, so I got busy sourcing stuff on the internet. I wanted something that was really easy to disconnect from my NVS for storage and the s-biner in this set-up fills that requirement pretty nicely.

When I was done, I had a pretty beefy lanyard set-up for under $15.00.
I bought a retractable key reel like this and replaced the shiny silver split-ring with a black s-biner:

I velcroed the back and put a square of Velcro in my helmet:

Using the smallest split-ring I could find, passed it through the lanyard hole in the NVS housing. The s-biner hooks into it.

Yeah, it's homebrewed, but it's plenty stout to keep my NVD from hitting the ground. Those folks with bump helmets could likely forego the Velcro and clip the key-reel's clip through one of the ventilation holes on their helmet.
Here's a list of the parts:
$8.94 Keyback #6 Retractable Reel

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LOJ7QY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00
$1.75 Mite Ize SSB-1 Size 1 S-Biner

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DZNZZI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
$3.99 Velcro Sticky-back strips

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQRCE0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

CSB, huh?

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me see here, OP does not want to spend lets say $50 on a lanyard so he makes his own for $15
and now trusts a $3,000 NV device to the holding power of velcro
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Let me see here, OP does not want to spend lets say $50 on a lanyard so he makes his own for $15

View Quote
Actually, I attached a bag with 4 - 12 oz cans of coke to the lanyard, dropped it and the Velcro held well. The NVD weighs 12.3 ounces. It would take a 100' drop to pull the reel loose from the Velcro.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Actually, I attached a bag with 4 - 12 oz cans of coke to the lanyard, dropped it and the Velcro held well. The NVD weighs 12.3 ounces. It would take a 100' drop to pull the reel loose from the Velcro.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice to know the reel held together too. I have had a few DIY break when I test them by just pulling with a force that I think is reasonable. Edit: an Airsoft clone broke just about when it hit the reel limit.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I tend to agree here, $60 for the Wilcox makes it just above my "that's a good price" feeling. But that being said I have several.

I love home brewed solutions but I think a lanyard needs to be mechanical in nature. I'm glad your Velcro sticks today but will it one month or one year from now?

I think para cord thru your shroud (not mentioning should based retention) and your s-biner and I would think that is safer. That being said non of these save you when you just plain drop it removing it from the helmet lanyard. Lol

All this is being said in a friendly banter over beers tone.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Double tap
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#6]
New to NV here but why the retractable lanyard and not just a short piece of cable?

In my fishing gear I have black steel leader cable, crimps/crimping tool, rings, etc that I've thought about using.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:34:27 PM EDT
[#7]
My PVS 14 came with a lanyard.

Also a few feet of 550 cord is a lot less than $15, but doesn't retract.

Tie downs are a pain in the ass. I don't feel the need to tie my NVGs down. If I'm not using it, I detach it from the helmet and secure it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I tend to agree here, $60 for the Wilcox makes it just above my "that's a good price" feeling. But that being said I have several.

I love home brewed solutions but I think a lanyard needs to be mechanical in nature. I'm glad your Velcro sticks today but will it one month or one year from now?

I think para cord thru your shroud (not mentioning should based retention) and your s-biner and I would think that is safer. That being said non of these save you when you just plain drop it removing it from the helmet lanyard. Lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe the Wilcox reel needs a compatible shroud to fit. It doesn't appear to fit just any shroud or the universal shroud. That's another hundred bucks on top of the reel.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:48:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I believe the Wilcox reel needs a compatible shroud to fit. It doesn't appear to fit just any shroud or the universal shroud. That's another hundred bucks on top of the reel.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me if I'm wrong.

The Wilcox lanyard for VAS shroud is $55 on Amazon
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell me if I'm wrong.

Damn...I reckon I'll be getting one. I didn't think the fitment was right.

Ehh...live and learn.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Tie downs are a pain in the ass. I don't feel the need to tie my NVGs down. If I'm not using it, I detach it from the helmet and secure it.
View Quote

Dummy cords are for when you ARE using the device.  I agree about the simple 550 cord, and that is what I use.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#12]

My paracord home-brew.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:46:25 PM EDT
[#13]
After my PVS14 took a free fall as I was pulling off my mask I have been looping the 14's cord around the light that is
on the side of the helmet.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:21:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Look into 3M dual lock. Way better solution than Velcro where a simple method of detachment is required. It has ridiculous holding power.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Wilcox lanyard on my nightcap. It's 90% overpriced, and no better than the cheap Chinese options. A 25cent price of 550 cord will make the strongest lanyard.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#16]
i'm not sure i'd trust velcro to hold it... I think the retention lanyard is fine though. If it is one of those key chain lanyards... just be careful because they extend pretty far, so if your NOD does fall, it may still smack into something.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 1:42:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Dummy cords are for when you ARE using the device.  I agree about the simple 550 cord, and that is what I use.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm well versed in dummy cords... I still don't think I need one for my NVG.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:36:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Cost me like... $3.  And I'm pretty sure I got ripped off on the S-Biner, which I think I paid $2.89 for off the wall at MCS.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/DCEA6C39-4246-4D2C-8CB9-80DFDE37AE72_zpsuztv7ka9.jpg

Cost me like... $3.  And I'm pretty sure I got ripped off on the S-Biner, which I think I paid $2.89 for off the wall at MCS.  

~Augee
View Quote

you must really love your cat to give it a $5,000 cat toy.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:12:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been looking at all of the different helmet lanyard, dumny cords, and neck cords for a few weeks, I was actually in the middle of working up a big post on the subject.

Since this is seemingly "the lanyard thread" I figure I will add my 2 cents here.

So, it seems that there are three different purposes for an NVG lanyard:

-The first, is to tether an NVG device to your helmet for the purposes of not dropping the NVG on the ground from head height. A secondary purpose here is going to be using the lanyard to take slop or wiggle away from the mounting interface.

-The second, is going to be to prevent the loss of NVG's while stowed in your gear - You don't want them falling to the ground, but you DEFINITELY don't want to loose them in a field somewhere.

-The third, is use as a neck cord so that you can walk around with the NVG's seperate from any helmet or head mount, go hands-free when you need to, pass them around with friends, and etc.

It seems that for our "first purpose" -helmet mounted NVG retention, the reel style lanyards offer a distinct advantage; they are relatively low profile, offer minimal opportunity for snags, give out whatever slack you might need to bring the PVS14 into your visual work-space, however, the reels do not maintain enough tension to take out slack in the mounts, nor do they allow for use in the second, or third purposes; you might need bungies, you will need a seperate neck cord, and also a seperate means of clipping in to your NVG stowage pouches.

The more basic Neck-cord is truthfully better at retaining NVG's in gear and for-hand held use, but can be tweaked into a useful helmet system, that can even be used to take out mount-induced wobble.

It is IMPORTANT to note however that if you are in an open vehicle, or navigating serious obstacles that neck cords can pose a neck breakong, strangulation or even decapitation hazard. Parachute cord is called "550 cord" for a reason - 550lbs of required break force. So if you are going to use P-cord for all of your tethering needs, you will want to build in some sort of break-point into your design.

What i've come up with so far:

You make a small loop of milspec shock cord, maybe 3" and then loop your gutted cord through that. Then, pass the parachute cord ends around either side of the friction bar, creating a loop. This loop is important for retention.

All of the 3/4 inch buckles I could find had a small lanyard hole in them. Push the Paracord through amd tie off in an overhand knot.

The shock cord or buckle should each break at well under 100lb's of force.

This demonstrates how to mount a 3/4" buckle to your helmet. You can use the suspension bolts, or the shroud bolts.

Where I stuff the extra neck cord:

So after all of this, you can use the male buckle side just like a cord loc, for adjusting the length of it all.

I'm looking at ordering up some barrel cord locs and passing the ends through the cord loc, tying each end into its own overhand knot, preventing the creation of a completely tied together loop of 550 cord which is what presents the greatest snag hazard.

You could shorten this whole assembly and put the neck cord on a seperate female side buckle if you don't like stuffing the excess.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Currently $15, has been less than $10 in the past year

T-Reign
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Currently $15, has been less than $10 in the past year

T-Reign
View Quote

And they even have accessories for it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:14:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I think the t-reign is the best clip system. It is way easier than the Wilcox/surefire hook clip. I think anyone looking for a cheap retractable system they won't go wrong with the t-reign. I have one on my ops core base / pvs14 rig.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I think the t-reign is the best clip system. It is way easier than the Wilcox/surefire hook clip. I think anyone looking for a cheap retractable system they won't go wrong with the t-reign. I have one on my ops core base / pvs14 rig.
View Quote
Could you post a pic? I'm interested in how/where it's mounted to the helmet. Thanks.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:39:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I have it mounted with a zip tie thru 2 of the vents. To further keep it in place I have a piece of Velcro. The zip tie keeps it secure, the Velcro keeps it in position.

I have the steel cable piece looped around the bolt on the j-arm.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:57:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

you must really love your cat to give it a $5,000 cat toy.
View Quote

You have no idea how spoiled she is...  

That cat tree that the $5,000 cat toy is hanging off of is as tall as I am, and we don't have a guest room - it's her room - and her queen sized bed.  Occasionally, she will deign to allow guests to borrow it.  

More to the topic -

Re: retractable lanywards - to be honest, I've got to say that I actually prefer the "S-biner" and 550 cord solution - and it's not really even a question of price, I have a Wilcox lanyard, but as has already been brought up, the retractable lanyards don't provide enough tension to really do anything in terms of stability, so I always need (or want) bungees as well.  

Besides that, I find the S-biner to be much easier to manipulate compared to the small clip on the Wilcox lanyard, and the dangling 550 cord, if measured right, is just long enough not to get in the way even if it's not retractable, but long enough so that if the NOD detaches inadvertently, it won't swing directly into my face.  

Of course, the best thing about it is that it's dirt cheap.  

Never really had the need personally for the neck-lanyard, as my use of the NOD is pretty much either exclusively head mounted, or stowed in a pouch, but I can see the utility for other uses.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I like the retract so you can pull the nods off and take pictures with them and put them back up without having to worry too much.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a piece of shock cord running from the shroud of my nightcap to the strap attachment behind my left ear.  A piece of paracord with a small clip is able to slide freely on the shock cord.  It attaches to a small paracord loop on the PVS-14.  I will try to post pics soon if anyone is interested

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I have a piece of shock cord running from the shroud of my nightcap to the strap attachment behind my left ear.  A piece of paracord with a small clip is able to slide freely on the shock cord.  It attaches to a small paracord loop on the PVS-14.  I will try to post pics soon if anyone is interested

View Quote
At the risk of derailing the OPs thread, I would like to see your setup. I'm planning to rig mine up soon, & appreciate the concepts thus far.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:20:03 AM EDT
[#30]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#31]
I just use paracord and a S binder clip
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I just use paracord and a S binder clip
View Quote
Same here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top