Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2015 3:37:39 PM EDT
what optics would work for 300 blk ranges? (<250 yds)

I only have experience with monoculars/binoculars.

I have a budget of 3000 max.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 1-4 Bushnell Mark-AR series on mine.  I like it so much I bought a second one for my LMT .223.  I am looking for a good used or black friday deal on a couple more.  I plan to put one on my 10-22.  

The dots are good hold overs for 200 and 300 without any adjusting elevation.  (minute of steel silhouette, tombstones and chickens)
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:24:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I think he's talking about night vision optics. For that price, look at the new white phosphor D-740 from TNVC for 2600 bucks. Should be perfect! Aside from that, they also have a PVS-14 with an L3 tube that would handle .300 blk recoil, and you couold use it behind a red dot.

The scope would be perfect though. IMO.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:01:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Or an Pulsar XD50A, if he wants thermal...  ~$3100 from Night Combat Solutions...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Another option is a day/night combo scope like this Aurora Tactical 2.5-10x56 Day/Night scope combo that CTM1 is selling in the EE right now for $2370 shipped.  I'm not associated with the seller just passing on what might be a possible solution to Ordmonkey's requirements.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the forum!

If you don't mind could you give us some more info on the intended use will be?  Hunting, range time, fun? There are more factors then just being able to see something at 250 with I2 or thermal.  Proper ID, identifying background dangers beyond your target.  Detection and positive ID depending on your environment your shooting in.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I want to hunt with it.  I'm really looking for feedback from people who have used the optics for that purpose.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I know some and maybe all of the respondents to your post have NV or thermal set ups which would meet your needs. But there are plusses and minuses to both technologies.

So, what are you wanting to hunt? Typical weather?

Do you already have a NV monocular or a thermal spotter?

More info will help.

JPK
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I want something I that can take the winters back home.  Think winter, winter on Hoth.

As far as what I'm hunting, anything from varmints at closer ranges to medium sized game.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Where's back home? If overseas ITAR prohibits most of the good stuff from being taken outside the country.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:09:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where's back home? If overseas ITAR prohibits most of the good stuff from being taken outside the country.
View Quote

This is why it has taken me years to break down and become a member here.  I asked about night vision scopes; not import/export laws, trannies, or wal-mart.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is why it has taken me years to break down and become a member here.  I asked about night vision scopes; not import/export laws, trannies, or wal-mart.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I provided what I would personally recommend in my earlier post. But if they did need to be taken outside the US I would have provided a different suggestion. Just trying to be helpful.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI - I would recommend thermal to identify trannies in wal-mart.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Many on this forum use NV and thermal to hunt in a wide variety of environments.  I've used more different set ups than I can count from: 14's helmet mounted, weapon mounted, paired with eo-techs and Lasers to dedicated I2 sights (d-740's and 760's) to clip on sights (22's, 24's and 26's)  and now mainly use nv for strictly navigating and thermal for shooting.  

I have not personally used the gen2 white phosphor units that were recommended, however I've read some very good reviews of them and have seen some good images through the tube.  The d-series has a great housing with excellent optics.  It is a proven housing that I've personally killed a metric shit ton of hogs with (gen 3).  On good nights or paired with a illuminator I see this being a viable option.

Now probably the most versatile NV device out there is a good pvs-14 which you can navigate, shoot, and observe with while your hunting.  You can pair it with a eo tech which works well, however the extra glass will result in a darker image.  A good IR illuminator is a fix for this issue, and if you need more range you can use a 3x lens.  Put the unit on a helmet and you can also use a IR laser.  Like I said a 14 is very versatile and can give you a wide range of uses for hunting.  Saying that it is not perfect for every situation.  Dark nights, rain, fog will all play roles in detection and ID range.  You will need to purchase mounts and possibly a extra optic ( aim point, eo tech) to use in front of your 14.  

Thermal is another option.  I believe tyler mentioned the xd38.  I haven't looked at the specs, but I'm guessing its a 320x240 unit with a relatively small lens system for the price.  Image quality looked pretty good, and I'm sure its capable of taking game.  Thermal is great at detection, and with some of the latest 640x480 units is also very good at ID'ing targets.  

If i were stand hunting watching sanderos or fields I'd probably opt for the d series or xd 38.  If I planed to be on foot, or have to navigate and I wasn't hunting in a static position I would probably opt for a 14.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top