Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2015 4:39:10 AM EDT
Title says it all.

I work nights and have a toddler that sleeps very light.  I have a very cheap POS Russian Gen-1 unit that I can use to navigate the dark house without tripping over toys and waking the kid up.

The problem is that the IR illuminator that came with it glows a faint red and and I have woken the kid up when he was half asleep by him seeing a floating glowing red light and getting scared.  Yeah my wife hated that episode.

So I need something cheap that will work with my setup for a decidedly non tactical purpose.  Any suggestions?

Edit:  I have found a few illuminators for sale on Amazon, both stand alone units and filters I could put on a flashlight.  What I can't find is any info on whether an unaided human eye can see one.

This is one I am thinking of.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:43:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems like a good excuse to buy a Gen II or Gen III.

Buy a used 952V and then you can use it for a rifle later on.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:02:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems like a good excuse to buy a Gen II or Gen III.

View Quote

On the list, but not in the budget.  Have to replace our aging Mazda first.  220k miles and starting to need more and more repairs, also no A/C and we live in FL so that is the priority.  

I need something super cheap that I can use for now with my little Gen-1.  Streamlight has an IR Stylus variant that a guy on Amazon was complaining did not work until teh seller clued him in that IR light is invisible without NV.  I might try that.  Has anyone ever used one?  I should be able to make it fit the mount on my NV for the current illuminator with a lot of electrical tape.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:42:13 AM EDT
[#3]
IR illuminators commonly come in 2 different wavelength.
The infrared spectrum begins at 700 nanometers.
Some people can see infrared up to 1050 nanometers, so you want something above that.
Look up IR on Wikipedia and then "how to build an IR illuminator" on instructables.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got some IR-pass filter plexiglass material that you can throw in front of your illuminator if you want to try it.  It allows about 800nm and up.

I use it in front of standard LED flashlights and it works pretty well.  I bought a whole sheet and don't mind sending you some.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#5]
If you get into the higher nm range where it's really invisible, your Gen 1 likely won't be able to see it either! One of the bad things about Gen 1 gear..
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered the Streamlight.  For $12 plus $4 shipping I really can't lose.  If my little Gen-1 can't use it, then I will just throw it in the tactical junk pile until I can afford something better.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure what Russian night vision unit youre using. However on my PNV 57E, I mounted a Princeton Tec MPLS IR light. Tiny light but good ir illum for when Im inside or using my focus aperture. The red light is nearly invisible unless you look directly into it. These units go on sale for less $25. I mounted mine to the goggles directly. Ill add a pic when i get homenext week.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Can your Gen ones see the IR LEDs on your TV remote when you hit a button? With my gen three, a TV remote lights up the whole room and the IR LED is invisible.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Title says it all.

I work nights and have a toddler that sleeps very light.  I have a very cheap POS Russian Gen-1 unit that I can use to navigate the dark house without tripping over toys and waking the kid up.

The problem is that the IR illuminator that came with it glows a faint red and and I have woken the kid up when he was half asleep by him seeing a floating glowing red light and getting scared.  Yeah my wife hated that episode.

So I need something cheap that will work with my setup for a decidedly non tactical purpose.  Any suggestions?

Edit:  I have found a few illuminators for sale on Amazon, both stand alone units and filters I could put on a flashlight.  What I can't find is any info on whether an unaided human eye can see one.

This is one I am thinking of.
View Quote
You might try this, a TV remote control, While it flickers when you hold one of the buttons down it does give enough light to see about 10-15 feet.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Got the stylus today and played with it in a closet with no lights on.  (why does that sound dirty?)  The stylus does have a little bit of red glow to it when my eyes are dark adapted, but you have to be very close and it is no where near as bad as the illuminator that came with my cheapo Russian NOD.

The good news:  The Stylus works perfectly with my unit and with a significant reduction in visible signiture I am pretty sure I can use it to avoid waking up my kid by tripping over his toys in the dark.

The bad:  The Stylus has a twist cap for constant on and it takes a bit of effort to turn it.  Since I am planning on just taping this thing to my NOD I am concerned that it will break free of the tape.  I will have to figure something out.

The ugly:  I really want a PVS-14, IR LASERs for a couple of my rifles and pistols, a night cap, a good ballisitic helmet with Rhino mount, etc. even more now.  Damn my lack of money.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the Princeton Tec Switch Rail on one side of my helm, and I have upgraded to the Charge MPLS, which I am waiting to turn up from DVOR.

I also run the Eagletac IR light from Illumination Gear on the other side of the helm and love it, but you could not use that to walk around the house.  Just as an FYI TNVC has the Swiutch Rail on sale at the moment for $36, which is awesome, can't beat the price as mine was over $50 when I got it before Christmas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top