Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2015 11:41:15 AM EDT
?

Something between 14 and 22 ounces perhaps?

The 50rd bag of Georgia Arms ammo that I'm currently using looks ridiculous....  I don't have a scale.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Use a dummy frag grenade
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking of bolting a pelican 1010 or similar on the back of mine and making a foam insert for extra batteries or tools or something useful other than dead weight but I don't know how realistic that is.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Getting a counterweight that weighs the same as the PVS14 would seem to be the easy answer, but since the -14 sticks out away from the helmet when utilized then perhaps a heavier counterweight would be needed.  That lever and fulcrum thing....  I hate math.

I've ruled out dummy grenades and bags of milk.  Something that conforms somewhat to the curve of the helmet would be nice, so small Pelican cases are out.

This is what I have in mind.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate the idea of carrying dead weight.

Iike the idea of the small case, maybe using some foam on the outer edges adjacent to the helmet to add shape to match.

JPK
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#5]
EOG makes a removable weight system, but it uses dead weight - but on the positive side, you can customize how much weight you keep in it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Roll your own with lead fishing weights. Can be done on the cheap
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Getting a counterweight that weighs the same as the PVS14 would seem to be the easy answer, but since the -14 sticks out away from the helmet when utilized then perhaps a heavier counterweight would be needed.  That lever and fulcrum thing....  I hate math.

I've ruled out dummy grenades and bags of milk.  Something that conforms somewhat to the curve of the helmet would be nice, so small Pelican cases are out.

This is what I have in mind.
View Quote

get the bag weight, remove the weight, insert batteries, reseal with velcro

done
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Maxpedition makes a 8X AA battery pouch. I've used it and it works well as a counter weight - was a little light with Lithium AA's, though.

You would need to add the velcro to it, though. I glued/sewed the velcro right to mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-Gear-Volta-Battery-Pouch/dp/B00J27XY8M
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I used a single pistol mag pouch and put batteries.  I added some lead shot as it wasn't as heavy as I wanted.  It worked great for not a lot of money (less then $5). I eventually got an EOG counter weight set up when I upgraded from a ProTech skate board helmet to an OpsCore Base Jump helmet.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#10]
The USGI 3X magnifier in the bag that it come in works excellent.

The other camera bag contains batteries.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/A%20Alpha%20Helmet/3X%20Mag%20Attach.jpg

View Quote

Dang, I could have tried that.  Mine doesn't get much use, otherwise.

Ordered a 14 oz. weight before you posted.  Have two helmets, anyway.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/A%20Alpha%20Helmet/3X%20Mag%20Attach.jpg

View Quote

Hey SkyPup, I'm surprised to see you haven't mounted a game camera back there yet...Lol.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Okay, I just received the 14oz counterweight from an E-Bay dealer.  This thing has been on my watch list for nearly six months, but I've held off on buying it due to the near complete lack of details in the ad copy.

It is actually quite good, with a separate lead bag inside of a velcro'd pouch.  It also has velcro on the backside of it, allowing for easy mounting on a helmet.  

It fit the PT A-Bravo great; right in the space between the cooling holes.  The 14oz seems fine for when the PVS-14 is stowed, but perhaps the 22oz version that they sell would be better suited for when you are actually using it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:54:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:42:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If it only feels right when the NVG is stowed, doesn't that mean its too light?

Like, shouldn't your counterweight be balanced around the idea of the NVG in use? Generally in Israel "stowed" means an NVG is "about to see use, or just saw use." We're not spending much time with the goggles stowed. If it's going to be a few hours before you're likely to use it again, the NVG and counterweight comes off!
View Quote

Stowed here just generally means your rhino arm is in the "up" position where as "in use" is with it down moving the weight further away from the helmet meaning yes the 14oz weight is too light . It should be balanced with the NVG in the down position.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Use a dummy frag grenade
View Quote

Oddly enough its just about perfect

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Nailed it!

I opted for a "less rattly solution" but its the same core concept!

Some fancy photos perhaps? Already posted in the helmet thread, but I'll take another chance to gear-whore them out.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Man I don't know how some of you can stand wearing a big bulky counter weight on the back of your helmets.I like to have mine as flat as possible so I can drive or lean against things without kicking my head out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#19]
A lot of folks use PVS-14s just fine without any counterweights at all, and the majority of the time that I spent using them was without a counterweight, and I didn't really find it to be that big of a problem, though I do now prefer to have some counterweight.  

IMHO, counterweights tend to become more important when you start getting into heavier dual setups.  

Some of this was discussed a while back in another counterweight discussion, and I actually ended up making a chart of "recommended" counterweight weights and configurations with some rough figures:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/433794__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Helmet_counterweights_thoughts_.html&page=1#i4161106

::shrug::

While I'm a big fan of counterweights now, I've never really liked the idea of "dead weight" as a counterweight.  My earliest counterweights were loaded pistol magazines, but it became more of an issue in terms of training environments, as it's not always prudent/possible/allowed to be wandering around with live, personally purchased ammunition hanging out on the back of your head.  

An MS2000 strobe is an almost constant for me on the helmet, often combined with things like spare batteries, multi-tools, etc. that I would be carrying on my person anyways, to get some utility out of the weight.  

~Augee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top