Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2015 4:56:54 PM EDT
I picked up a PVS-4 that has the center of the reticle projector loose and rattling around inside the objective lens. What is the best way to remove the lens and replace the part?

Dave
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I picked up a PVS-4 that has the center of the reticle projector loose and rattling around inside the objective lens. What is the best way to remove the lens and replace the part?

Dave
View Quote

It's a single piece maintenance-wise, so it's not in the technical manual. The front should unscrew however, though you may need to make some custom wrenches up. Also, I'm not sure if Locktight is involved. Most of the lens mechanisms look to be pretty obvious, but aren't straightforward to remove -

Proceed with caution and care and remember what you did so you can undo it, and let us know how you go.

BTY, PVS-4 lenses to appear on Ebay from time to time.

David.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is the response I received from Ed Wilcox> AKA "THE MAN"
View Quote
Hello Dave,

First make sure you have some Nitrile or Latex gloves to work on the lenses with as finger prints are hard to take off on those lenses especially the interior faces.

It sounds like you have at least one part missing, that being the retainer ring that holds that reticle assembly in place. It has four holes in it for the spanner wrench as seen in the first attached picture.

To gain access to the reticle assembly if your retaining ring is not installed, use a strap wrench on the lens assembly retaining ring as seen in the second attached picture using a strap wrench.  The ring looks like the one in the third picture after it is removed.

Next remove the O-ring Seal from in front of the first lens element as seen in the forth picture.  The first lens element will be free for you to remove it.  Using gloves, just pull up on it's center hole at different points along the circumference until it is free.  The first lens element looks like the one in the fifth picture

What remains is the second lens element as seen in the sixth picture.  You should be able to access the reticle assembly without having to remove this lens element.

If you need to replace it, unplug the red and black wires from the reticle assembly and note where they were removed from.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top