Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As the guys mentioned we have MANY surprises in store for everyone. In the next few weeks we will debuting something very cool for the hunting and also for use with tactical guru crowd.

Happy 4th of July, we've all earned it!
View Quote

WASP
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

WASP
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As the guys mentioned we have MANY surprises in store for everyone. In the next few weeks we will debuting something very cool for the hunting and also for use with tactical guru crowd.

WASP

I hope
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

You big tease.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:13:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Vic/Eric,

1.)  I currently run dual gen 3 pvs-14's on a mod armory bridge.  The only issue with this set up is the 14's are from separate manufacturers so at times they give off a slightly canted image (time/money constraints at the time of purchase forced me to go this route).  Would the 2+ sentinels be a more user friendly and practical solution than this current set up even though the 14's are Gen 3's? (POU for these is hog hunting/all legal purposes )

2.) What are the lead times for shipment on the Binos?  I can only assume it will be a similar wait to TNVC products.  I'm about to head downrange and want to time my return right so they're waiting for me when I get home!
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 1:42:09 AM EDT
[#8]
SentryDarkstar,

Do you know that Mod Armory offers different arms for L3 and ITT PVS 14's? You can order a bridge with same brand or mixed arms, and I'm sure you could order one single arm if one of yours is for the wrong brand.

I suspect using the appropriate arm for each of your PVS 14's would solve your issue.

JPK
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 2:16:03 AM EDT
[#9]
JPK,

I thought that could be the culprit at first, but I triple checked and the arms are the correct ones for the respective housings.  I'm certain that these tubes are not exactly calibrated to each other so this seems the be the logical explanation (I know TNVC will calibrate their 14's if you get a dual set up to give the best image). Also, I'm interested in the Sentinels because they weight almost a pound less than the dual 14 set up (32.8 ounces vs 20.8 ounces).

Anyways, Selling one of the 14's and the bridge = making the price tag on the binos hurt just a little bit less!

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I personally think that a purpose built dual tube system is the way to go, if that's the route you are trying to take. If you want the versatility of have two monoculars that you can bridge, for the sake of being able to part them out at any point in time, then the bridge system has benefits. However, bridge systems are heavier and have more moving parts, which can get annoying at times.

The lead times on a Gen 2 SENTINEL are pretty quick, depending on what tube you are wanting. Are you looking at the ComSpec or PLUS variant?

View Quote

The weight savings is a huge attraction to me. As I said in a previous post, I compared the weights, 32.8 ounces vs 20.8 ounces.

I'm looking at the PLUS variant. I would like to get as close to gen 3 specs as possible without dropping the 7-8K for gen 3 sentinels. The $5100 tag is already pushing my budget and I'll probably end up selling one of my 14's to help ease the pain.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#12]
SentryDarkstar,

Well, so much for the cheap fix!

JPK
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
SentryDarkstar,

Well, so much for the cheap fix!

JPK
View Quote

When is anything in the NV industry cheap?

You get what you pay for!
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The weight savings is a huge attraction to me. As I said in a previous post, I compared the weights, 32.8 ounces vs 20.8 ounces.

I'm looking at the PLUS variant. I would like to get as close to gen 3 specs as possible without dropping the 7-8K for gen 3 sentinels. The $5100 tag is already pushing my budget and I'll probably end up selling one of my 14's to help ease the pain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I personally think that a purpose built dual tube system is the way to go, if that's the route you are trying to take. If you want the versatility of have two monoculars that you can bridge, for the sake of being able to part them out at any point in time, then the bridge system has benefits. However, bridge systems are heavier and have more moving parts, which can get annoying at times.

The lead times on a Gen 2 SENTINEL are pretty quick, depending on what tube you are wanting. Are you looking at the ComSpec or PLUS variant?

The Plus had minimum SNR sitting at around 18 per the site, but they also say that the Plus is the best Gen2 available so one could guess they are actually getting tubes with SNR around 22-26 and with that you are already in Gen3 territory with the exception of the very darkest situations where any Gen2 currently loses a little (excluding the new Photonis Intens that as far as I know nobody here has seen yet, will be interesting to eventually see a comparison). But if the SNR is closer to the minimum they state, then there would be a considerable difference between a Gen3 Sentinel and their Plus model.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks Eric! Looks like I have plenty of time to drool over them or convince myself to bite the bullet and buy TNVC Sentinels....
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#17]
So when I first started looking at nightgoggles.com I didn't even know they were a site sponsor so this is a plus in itself.
I am totally new to NV and can someone please tell me if I am headed in the right direction with what I'm thinking of purchasing.
NGI/PVS-14 GEN 2 PLUS
Ops-Core FAST Base Jump Helmet
Wilcox L4 G11 Mount – ARMY
Thanks for the help in advance.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:45:33 AM EDT
[#20]
From a professional web design stand point, both night googles and tnvc's site makes me want to punch babies. It's ugly and terrible. I say this with love!
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We now have more tubes that just arrived for builds. Sorry for any delays, this kit has been very popular.

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to let folks know we are very happy to announce we just released the GEN 2 COMSPEC MOD3 for $3999.00.  This is a great price to get into some duals with some very attractive pricing and tubes.

Vic

We now have more tubes that just arrived for builds. Sorry for any delays, this kit has been very popular.

Vic

Is the price for the MOD3 'Plus' model correct?  
Price difference between comspec and plus is $930.61.  Price difference between comspec and plus in the sentinel line is $555 and difference in the pvs14 line is only $225.
Or is there something im missing?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
All of our prices are correct. Its based on a lot of things - availability of tubes, cost of parts, labor time, build time, etc. And sometimes we feel like we want to offer better prices that what we should.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to let folks know we are very happy to announce we just released the GEN 2 COMSPEC MOD3 for $3999.00.  This is a great price to get into some duals with some very attractive pricing and tubes.

Vic

Vic

Is the price for the MOD3 'Plus' model correct?  
Price difference between comspec and plus is $930.61.  Price difference between comspec and plus in the sentinel line is $555 and difference in the pvs14 line is only $225.
Or is there something im missing?
All of our prices are correct. Its based on a lot of things - availability of tubes, cost of parts, labor time, build time, etc. And sometimes we feel like we want to offer better prices that what we should.

Understood.  I appreciate all ya'll do for this small market.

Still looking forward to some clip on options!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:53:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Stand alone DVR, pouches and cables are now available with some very good pricing. We will be adding more cable choices very soon.  

DVR ($79.00),

DVR Pouch, ($39.00)

Recording cables, (FLIR - $56.00 / IRD - $90.00)

Ordering info HERE  Thanks guys!

Vic
View Quote

Still new to NV, haven't even purchased everything yet. So you can't use these with the pvs-14s?
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No, traditional NV isn't a "video" system like the thermals, so there's no availability for video out.

I'd really like to see Vic's crew add a camera system with a beam splitter like the Wilcox MHRS but priced for mortals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stand alone DVR, pouches and cables are now available with some very good pricing. We will be adding more cable choices very soon.  

DVR ($79.00),

DVR Pouch, ($39.00)

Recording cables, (FLIR - $56.00 / IRD - $90.00)

Ordering info HERE  Thanks guys!

Vic

Still new to NV, haven't even purchased everything yet. So you can't use these with the pvs-14s?

No, traditional NV isn't a "video" system like the thermals, so there's no availability for video out.

I'd really like to see Vic's crew add a camera system with a beam splitter like the Wilcox MHRS but priced for mortals.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Vic
View Quote

I'm struggling with the decision between this and the TNVC Gen3 PVS-14 as my first NV setup. Does anyone have any first hand experience with both of them? Having both eventually would be nice but it's certainly going to take me years to afford that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm struggling with the decision between this and the TNVC Gen3 PVS-14 as my first NV setup. Does anyone have any first hand experience with both of them? Having both eventually would be nice but it's certainly going to take me years to afford that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

Having looked through both of tnvc's offerings, I can say either way you go, you won't be disappointed. Only reason I knew the difference between the two is because I own the gen3. If I wouldn't have ever looked through a gen3 and someone handed me tnvc's gen2, I would still have had that "holy shit" moment.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I tried a friends 2008 PVS 14 this weekend and loved it, so I'm sure I'd be happy with that but I'm not ditching the Gen2 Mod3 just yet. I'll be buying my helmet and mounts this week from TNVC though so I probably won't be able to resist very long... Not to mention our tasty hog population is growing.

Edit: Yup, ordered a TW EXFIL and Norotos INVG mount... Only a matter of time. I'd love to look through a Gen2 Plus MOD3 if anyone is near the Chattanooga, TN area with one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Got the new NGI mini-DVRs setup with pouches on the IR Hunter MKII-35mm on my SIG 716 7.62mm and the IR Patrol M-300 on my Team Wendy helmet and getting ready to film some big black hogs down!

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#36]
PS, I keep the mini remote hooked up on a Carbiner and attach it to my belt loop, works for me.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I first tried mounting the IR Defense Patrol M-300 on with my Wilcox L4 G24 mount on my Alpha helmet but since I wear corrective lenses, I could not get enough space between my glasses and the IR ocular even with the L4 G24 mount extended to the max, I think it would work without glasses though.

The INVG mount provided enough space to easily and comfortably mount the M-300 on my Team Wendy EXFIL without any interference with my glasses, although it too was mounted as far out as the INVG could go, this worked perfectly.

I would recommend the INVG mount for those with glasses trying this setup, also when targeting on the .308 using the IR Defense MKII-35mm TWS, it is super easy to rotate the M-300 on the INVG out of the way for proper cheek weld and zero interference with rifle shooting, this is more problematic with the Wilcox L4 G24 mount.

Also, I setup the Wilcox Binocular Bridge System SkeetIR/IR Patrol mount to use the dually system of my PVS-14 with the IR Patrol M-300 off the dovetail mounts for real time NV/Thermal viewing.

This Wilcox mount system is crazy awesome and even allows you to adjust the inter-pupillary distance between the NV/Thermal devices.

It simply is an unreal setup!
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I first tried mounting the IR Defense Patrol M-300 on with my Wilcox L4 G24 mount on my Alpha helmet but since I wear corrective lenses, I could not get enough space between my glasses and the IR ocular even with the L4 G24 mount extended to the max, I think it would work without glasses though.

The INVG mount provided enough space to easily and comfortably mount the M-300 on my Team Wendy EXFIL without any interference with my glasses, although it too was mounted as far out as the INVG could go, this worked perfectly.

I would recommend the INVG mount for those with glasses trying this setup, also when targeting on the .308 using the IR Defense MKII-35mm TWS, it is super easy to rotate the M-300 on the INVG out of the way for proper cheek weld and zero interference with rifle shooting, this is more problematic with the Wilcox L4 G24 mount.

Also, I setup the Wilcox Binocular Bridge System SkeetIR/IR Patrol mount to use the dually system of my PVS-14 with the IR Patrol M-300 off the dovetail mounts for real time NV/Thermal viewing.

This Wilcox mount system is crazy awesome and even allows you to adjust the inter-pupillary distance between the NV/Thermal devices.

It simply is an unreal setup!
View Quote

I'm excited to get my INVG mount, glad to see the next post down with the same mount/helmet I just ordered. I'm still undecided on what device to go with. Any pro's vs con's with the 14 and Ir patrol in dual? This has crossed my mind and I'm considering a pvs 14 now and then an IR Patrol later or a Mod 3 up front.

I should add, primary uses for me will be hog hunting/driving on our property and boating at night.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Others may chime in differently here, but for me it is difficult to be able to mentally use both Thermal and NV in two different eyes.

The PVS-14 is much better for being mobile on two feet/vehicle while the thermal picks up any mammalian life in the dark instantly.

Still, they are two different technologies that jive better when used in a fusion device instead of a dually application.

The FOVs are different and it is problematic for your brain to be looking through two different devices at the same time, you have to concentrate on just one at a time and then switch back and forth to be able to use both of them.

It has more application on a stand scanning for me than it does being mobile, either walking or in a motorized vehicle.

Best way to use NV and Thermal at the same time is to have two people, one with helmet mounted NV for situational mobility and the other with helmet mounted thermal for detection.

I never drive around at night using any thermal for primary sole navigation in spite of all the claims here to that effect,it is simply too dangerous, but having a passenger with a helmet mounted thermal scanner who is not driving is awesome for maximum detection!

The Team Wendy EXFIL and INVG mount is something you will appreciate and enjoy on extended hours of night hunting....or cruising around in your boat with a PVS-14 mounted.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Others may chime in differently here, but for me it is difficult to be able to mentally use both Thermal and NV in two different eyes.

The PVS-14 is much better for being mobile on two feet/vehicle while the thermal picks up any mammalian life in the dark instantly.

Still, they are two different technologies that jive better when used in a fusion device instead of a dually application.

The FOVs are different and it is problematic for your brain to be looking through two different devices at the same time, you have to concentrate on just one at a time and then switch back and forth to be able to use both of them.

It has more application on a stand scanning for me than it does being mobile, either walking or in a motorized vehicle.

Best way to use NV and Thermal at the same time is to have two people, one with helmet mounted NV for situational mobility and the other with helmet mounted thermal for detection.

I never drive around at night using any thermal for primary sole navigation in spite of all the claims here to that effect,it is simply too dangerous, but having a passenger with a helmet mounted thermal scanner who is not driving is awesome for maximum detection!

The Team Wendy EXFIL and INVG mount is something you will appreciate and enjoy on extended hours of night hunting....or cruising around in your boat with a PVS-14 mounted.
View Quote

I've been reading and researching for roughly 5 years on NV and this is hands down, the best rundown on realistic NV vs Thermal usage for the average guy that I've come across. Thank you very much sir, it's much appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Well I do have dozens of thermal devices and dozens of NV devices that I use all the time at night hunting hogs and coyotes, it just takes some practice!

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Well I do have dozens of thermal devices and dozens of NV devices that I use all the time at night hunting hogs and coyotes, it just takes some practice!

View Quote

Someday, someday... In your honest opinion, how much better for travel/driving are dual pvs-14's/mod 3 setups than a single 14?
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Someday, someday... In your honest opinion, how much better for travel/driving are dual pvs-14's/mod 3 setups than a single 14?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That one is easy -> twice as good!
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit, I was afraid you'd say that...
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't have duals, but I prefer PVS-7 for driving over a single 14.  I also like the 7's better for scanning with a magnifier, fwiw.  I'm very low speed, very high drag

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:23:03 AM EDT
[#46]
After reading the thread for a little while, I thought I 'd post this:"

We have used the Gen 3 PVS-14's at WRR for almost 10 years now.  However, we also acquired a Gen2 SHP PVS-14 as an extra to give to the guided clients so they could see what we were seeing without having to sweep a weapon.  For that purpose, the Gen2+ was really just as good, especially for those that had not used NVG before.  Only on the nights with the worst conditions was there a handicap, but then again, its a very simple matter to use IR illuminators.  We have Surefire M1Ir's on the helmets and then the excellent Torch Pro's on the HELGA and the rifles.  With added IR illumination, you get as good an image minus of course some resolution but still very usable for hogs out to hundreds of yards.

The Bino setups are obviously heavier, and give better  FOV, but then you don't have one eye acclimated to the dark, either, so when the hunters would try climbing into the monster truck, they had to flip up, and that really slowed the team down, because, given their overall lack of experience they had to do everything much more deliberately.  They'd flip up, and then they would have to stand there for a few seconds to acquire the bumper as they re-acclimated.  Moral of that story is that you really can apply alot of the training that LEO/ Mil gets to hunting, so I strongly encourage those of you getting into NV to take TNVC's Night Defender or WRR Night Hunter class.

Lastly, NGI has immediate access to WRR and vice versa, so if you guys are interested in much more in-depth training, please go to our websites.  I'm not a site sponsor so won't promo it here but will gladly come back to help answer practical questions about initial NV purchases and practical questions, since we have been using this gear for hunting professionally for almost 12 years.  Furthermore, you definitely will NOT get better CS that with Vic and the crew, I can personally attest to that and that spans many years of doing business together.

Picture taken through Gen2+ SHP, no IR, 3/4 moon.

" />

Another picture take via Gen2+  PVS-14, this time with IR illumination of the Torch Pro.  You can see that with IR the res is actually quite good.

" />

Unretouched photo through Gen 2 (not SHP this time), with no illumination, dark night, no moon, stars only (remember a camera will also reduce light transmission)

" />

And then through the same tube, this time with illumination:
 (Just a little more "green" than Gen 3 but still pretty good)

" />

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 3:01:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I think I've decided on a single PVS-14. I just can't swing twice that amount the first time out and this gives me some leeway with a laser/illuminator device. Maybe in a couple years I'll be able to add a mod3 to the stable and then I'll have something for me and the wife.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I think I've decided on a single PVS-14. I just can't swing twice that amount the first time out and this gives me some leeway with a laser/illuminator device. Maybe in a couple years I'll be able to add a mod3 to the stable and then I'll have something for me and the wife.
View Quote

^^This is my thinking also^^
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Having one eye acclimated to the dark night is always good, especially the older you get as it takes that much more time for your rods to see what light there is in the dark.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:57:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Having one eye acclimated to the dark night is always good, especially the older you get as it takes that much more time for your rods to see what light there is in the dark.
View Quote

Yeah, I took a drive across our farm in a Rzr tonight with a single PVS-14 and no lights. I could tell two would be better but one was doable and my naked eye could see my dash and frightened passenger... Haha, it was extremely dark out.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top