Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2015 7:50:58 AM EDT
Walmart stopped carrying hand warmers, so I had to figure out a way to ration out my stash. I read on the Internet, if you put them in a ziplock bag they will stop heating up . I took this one step further and bought the smallest ziplock bags I could find at Walmart. They are 1.5" X 1.5" and one hand warmer can fill six of these. That multiplied my stash by six. You have to poke holes in the bag to restart the heater. This morning I ordered a hundred 3/4" X 3/4" off eBay for less than $5. I can easily see the 1.5 bags with my scope. I figure the 3/4 will help me get a better zero. A hand warmer is just too big.  Aim small and hit small. You can also salvage your targets , if they are not blown up . I hope this information has helped some other members here.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#1]
A 40-pack of adhesive toe warmers for $7.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002DYHYGY
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Use what you have around the house.  Nail a nail in the target.  Screw in a screw and heat it up with a hand held torch or lighter.   You can get off a few shots.  You can also pinpoint all your shots by pocking spent 308 or 556 cases into the holes and heating those.   There's other ways.  Academy usually has hand warmers too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Thermbrite has some realistic hog and coyote thermal targets they are working on for ranges that will be coming out soon.

http://www.thermbright.com/
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I made my own out of electrical Tape and White Styrofoam board. Worked well.

Basically the sun heats the black ALOT hotter than the white and you see the difference.

I have another test planned with a different product but I'm assuming you could have the same results with any white background and black tape.

Note: You need a wide line to be visible at further distances. I used 3" (3 x 1") stripes and you can see the X at 100.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thermbrite has some realistic hog and coyote thermal targets they are working on for ranges that will be coming out soon.

http://www.thermbright.com/
View Quote

Here is a prototype ThermBrite Hog Thermal target, coyote one is very nice too:

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I found this online from the Army PS Magazine, JAN '15. Seems like a decent target. Haven't tried it yet since I don't have thermals, but once I get a Seek, I would.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#8]
STOP THE PRESSES!

HOLD THE PHONE!

These Photos are Taken with a Cell Phone behind the Thermal so bear with me. THE point of the pictures is not my photo taking skills, but what I have discovered.

BOOM

Now, what oh what is making that BLACKEST of BLACK + in the middle?

This is a White board with a Large Black electrical tape + and a small central + made of.....

SUSPENSE......

DUCT TAPE.... Well REAL Duct... Tape....

50 Yards of target material for $8 from Home Depot..... and that + is a piece cut in half for about .94" wide piece.

You are Welcome....

GO FORTH AND CREATE FOR PENNIES!
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Aren't oxygen absorbers essentially the same thing as hand warmers? Only smaller.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Aren't oxygen absorbers essentially the same thing as hand warmers? Only smaller.
View Quote

Yep, they sure are. I think the ones for food use might not be as concentrated and filled with more filler material then the hand warmer type so it probably won't heat as intensely. Or maybe the packaging material is not as porous or permeable and the absorption rate is slower, leading to less heat. If the latter is the case, poking several small holes in it should make it heat up real nice.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Why are you guys stuck on this hand warmer thing?

When I just posted that Aluminum tape makes a black target to shoot at?
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:17:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Let's say I put the duct tape target out at 6:00pm and the sun goes down at 7:00pm.  I hit the range at 11:00pm.

Will it be bright enough?

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Does it work 24 hours ? Does humidity effect it ? Does it work in the dark or when it's cloudy. I tried aluminum foil one time . I couldn't see it . Maybe because my shooting range is 100% in the shade. I never tried leaning it back 10 degrees like I have read also.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Let's say I put the duct tape target out at 6:00pm and the sun goes down at 7:00pm.  I hit the range at 11:00pm.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you need to site in at 11pm? It's not NV, Thermal is day or night.

What if you put the glove warmer out at 6pm will it still be warming at 11pm? What if it starts raining at 8pm and cools that thing right down?

I mean we can ask all sorts of rhetorical questions. Point is, this tape is black as night on a paper target at 7pm (sun is setting) I'll be happy to set it out tonight and get you an 11pm photo.... not everyone has a personal range, and not all ranges will let you tape Thermal Warmers to your target....
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Does it work 24 hours ? Does humidity effect it ? Does it work in the dark or when it's cloudy. I tried aluminum foil one time . I couldn't see it . Maybe because my shooting range is 100% in the shade. I never tried leaning it back 10 degrees like I have read also.
View Quote
1. Well I'm in Florida, so it's basically Humid constantly.
2. IDK about 24hrs. Will check a "Late Night" view.

3. IDK about Dark (night) but it was 7pm so no direct sunlight at the time.

4. Aluminum foil? Or Aluminum Duct Tape?

5. The target was leaning on the house so it did have SOME pitch. 10* would be about right.

I will update when i figure it out.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#16]
The foil I used came from work . It's sticky back on a roll and the pipe fitters use it to keep the gas inside the pipe while welding. I didn't have the black tape background either. I bet that makes a difference too. I just had it stuck on a brown cardboard box. Even if the foil is daytime only , it will still come in handy. I like to shoot at night during the summer because it's cooler and no gnats flying into my eyes and ears. Just gotta fight the mosquitoes .
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The foil I used came from work . It's sticky back on a roll and the pipe fitters use it to keep the gas inside the pipe while welding. I didn't have the black tape background either. I bet that makes a difference too. I just had it stuck on a brown cardboard box. Even if the foil is daytime only , it will still come in handy. I like to shoot at night during the summer because it's cooler and no gnats flying into my eyes and ears. Just gotta fight the mosquitoes .
View Quote

I understand the Gnats part, but the Mosquitos are 10x worse than the gnats in FL. Also, yes it is much cooler at night but the ranges I have access to locally in South FL restrict target types to Paper (i can get away with tape) and are normally open from 8am to 6pm ish.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:16:55 AM EDT
[#18]
OK. Took some photos at 9:45pm. Took the target out of a 78* AC house and put it into the humid night air of south florida.

The target with 1/4" strips of tape on a piece of styrofoam board (think science project board).

The results:

2x (1x digital)

4x(2x digital)

8x (4x digital)

Target is approx. 50yrds away at about 10* pitch (leaning on the house).

So looks like it's working at night.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Aluminum has little to no thermal emissivity, so it works well against something that does has emissivity.

Human skin, with a value of 0.98, is 98% efficient at emitting thermal radiation while shiny aluminum, with a value of approximately 0.10, emits only 10% of the energy.

So putting an aluminum crosshair on someone's body makes for a very good thermal target.

http://www.deltat.com/pdf/Infrared%20Energy,%20Emissivity,%20Reflection%20%26%20Transmission.pdf

NOTE -> Alignment and Angle of Incidence:

A common misconception is that infrared microbolometers work best when viewing the measured  target at a normal (3D perpendicular) angle.  While it is not necessary to measure from a normal angle, it is best to measure within the cone of maximum emissivity.  The infrared energy emitted by  a surface is not equally emitted in all directions.  For most materials, when the surface is viewed within a 60 degree cone from normal the emissivity is the highest.  As the viewing angle increases from normal (decreases towards parallel) the emissivity drops sometimes dramatically.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Skypup.

Do you have a table or chart that lists thermal emissivity?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#21]
There are a bunch of them available for various industries that use them for production, manufacture, QC. etc.

Thing to remember is a value close to zero represent little to no thermal emissivity, a value closer to one represents that it emits lots of thermal emissivity.

http://www.x26.com/articles/understanding_emissivity.html

Another interesting fact is the ability of a material object to pass certain electromagnetic wavelengths whilst completely blocking others!

An example is visible light (400-720nm), it goes right through glass and air mostly, but not through your body, whereas X-rays go right through your flesh but are absorbed by the calcium in your bones. Also, glass and water both block/reflect intermediate thermal wavelengths (depending on the angle of incidence) in the 7,000-13,000nm wavelengths that thermal weapons scopes uncooled microbolometers utilize.

These effects of adsorption or reflection of thermal emissivity are all dependent on carbon-hydrogen organic chemical bonds in living tissues and inorganic ionic pair bonds in inanimate objects on a molecular level.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#22]
It is kind of funny. but I had a Dewar flask of liquid nitrogen at -374*F taking a thermal movie of the freezing gas coming out of the mouth of the flask and it did not register on the microbolometer until the freezing gas actually touched the outer surface of the flask and chilled it down, ie the microbolometer did not detect the freezing gas until something solid it was touching became frozen. Experiment did not turn out as I had first imagined it.....
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I use used Tyvek Priority Mail pouches. It's easy to find a tape or another material to stick on them for contrast.
Even new envelopes are free, but there's no sense wasting tax Dollars you already spent on those in shooting them up..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top