Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2015 4:04:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Correct me if I am wrong, is there not an option for high laser, low illuminator? Is there a time frame for shipping?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Big question is going to be....with all things considered, which do you prefer between this and the ATPIAL?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Why was the removal of the alignment or zeroing feature of the illuminatior needed? FDA?

Also interesting to see the class I has a longer "barrel" for the illuminator.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#6]
That is a major improvement over my old and well used DBAL-I2 unit, may have to ditch it and upgrade!

I really like the ATPIAL, the IR beam and Illum are both very nice, just wish it had a visible green laser as that often comes in handy around sunup or sundown and is much more functional than the red vis laser by a factor of 10X during the day.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Will the DBAL I2 neutral density filter fit the A3?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:38:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:57:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Big question is going to be....with all things considered, which do you prefer between this and the ATPIAL?
View Quote

Still waiting for an opinion in this regard?  Or are they 6 one way, half dozen another?
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#14]
could you do a quick demo of the mk4 battle-light? Maybe make a video of how it functions with the a3?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:41:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They had to create a longer "barrel" for the illuminator on the eye safe version because they needed to fit the electronics that automatically lower the power as you narrow down the beam.  The full power version maintains the same power regardless of the beam diameter because it doesn't have to be limited by class1 FDA regs.  The new eye safe version allows you to adjust the diameter of the IR illuminator beam in its 4mW output.  At the widest setting, it is putting out a full 4mW, yet any point of measurement in the actual beam will be under 1mW.  But, Steiner wanted to offer the ability to adjust the beam and doing so, would mean the output intensifies as it is focused.  This would obviously make the readings over 1mW, so they added a smart circuit that would automatically lower the power as the beam is focused, thus keeping the output under 1mW regardless.

In order to add this focusing feature, they had to add some other electronics and optics.  And, they couldn't do it while maintaining the zeroing feature.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why was the removal of the alignment or zeroing feature of the illuminatior needed? FDA?

Also interesting to see the class I has a longer "barrel" for the illuminator.

They had to create a longer "barrel" for the illuminator on the eye safe version because they needed to fit the electronics that automatically lower the power as you narrow down the beam.  The full power version maintains the same power regardless of the beam diameter because it doesn't have to be limited by class1 FDA regs.  The new eye safe version allows you to adjust the diameter of the IR illuminator beam in its 4mW output.  At the widest setting, it is putting out a full 4mW, yet any point of measurement in the actual beam will be under 1mW.  But, Steiner wanted to offer the ability to adjust the beam and doing so, would mean the output intensifies as it is focused.  This would obviously make the readings over 1mW, so they added a smart circuit that would automatically lower the power as the beam is focused, thus keeping the output under 1mW regardless.

In order to add this focusing feature, they had to add some other electronics and optics.  And, they couldn't do it while maintaining the zeroing feature.

Wow!

+1 for Steiner for implementing this for us to have an adjustable size - I'm happy and I'm sure as long as the illuminator is pretty centered I will be pleased. Will tan and black both be shipping at the same time?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you for your opinions Vic.  You echoed pretty much what I was thinking in my head.

And yes....waiting ever so patiently for the T.A.P.S. to come out.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#18]
From the OP:  "The photos below do not show the IR laser Low Power or IR laser High Power. The reason is because I couldn't tell a difference on the settings with my eye, and certainly couldn't tell the difference in the photos."

Could you explain this a bit further?  Are you saying that in actual use you can't determine any visible difference between the IR 'AL' and 'AH' settings?  How about the laser output on 'DL' or 'DH'?  I ask because the spec sheet posted a while back on the new A3 units states that the IR laser is 0.2/0.7mW depending on the setting and based on their other units I would expect a very visible difference.

If the power outputs are the same between AL & AH I'll be pretty disappointed as that was a bonus to me over the ATPIAL-C even with a ND filter.  That, plus the inability to now aim the illuminator is another negative for those that preordered this unit based on initial information and product images released a while ago.  I was very excited for a unit that, at least to me, appeared very superior to the ATPIAL-C in many regards but now I'm not so sure.

Lastly, can you confirm that this is the sole DBAL-A3 model going forward, as I believe you stated in a different thread that the restricted A3 unit is being discontinued in favor of this one?

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#19]
...apparently I have no idea how to imbed images, but the two links above are of the spec sheets released a while ago.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:29:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Eric answered the first part....

Shipping we're told from LDI/Steiner is sometime next month.  We've been accepting pre-orders as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct me if I am wrong, is there not an option for high laser, low illuminator? Is there a time frame for shipping?

Eric answered the first part....

Shipping we're told from LDI/Steiner is sometime next month.  We've been accepting pre-orders as well.

Yep. Just purchased this since it was supposed to be the tits!! I would be happy either way but it would have royally been annoying to have a critical review of the first ones in like literally the next day. Haha.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Looking forward to trying one of these. I am not totally happy with my ATPIAL-C and think this will prove to be a better overall unit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:56:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looking forward to trying one of these. I am not totally happy with my ATPIAL-C and think this will prove to be a better overall unit.
View Quote

I like the simplicity of the ATPIAL since most of the adjustability will be lost on me with the other (illuminator wise), and the high or low laser is mitigated by the cap.

Regardless, its nice to have a more sophisticated adjustment ability, and the green laser is a nice touch.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just got word from LDI/Steiner that black housing A3's are being shipping to us!  Should be going out to customers next week!  Tan housings at the end of the month. Thanks guys.

Vic
View Quote

Off topic - but do you have any update on the single spectrum I2 shipping date?

I do have an A3 on order, but also an I2.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just got word from LDI/Steiner that black housing A3's are being shipping to us!  Should be going out to customers next week!  Tan housings at the end of the month. Thanks guys.

Vic
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Vic
View Quote

Any chance I get my DBAL-a3 before I leave for my mountain shooting/camping trip Saturday morning. I think I got overnight shipping.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Send us an email sales at tnvc.com, there should be no problem with that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/DBAL_A3_zpstfevxhtc.jpg

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

Any chance I get my DBAL-a3 before I leave for my mountain shooting/camping trip Saturday morning. I think I got overnight shipping.

Vic

Fricken awesome.

Doing right now. Email is         [email protected]
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#34]
I am getting one for my new SBR build.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#35]

The laser is perfect!

The only complaint I have is the dual y cable for using it with the Mark 4 weapon light (which I have but not pictured) is bad. I think the way this pressure pad was created was the pad for the 90 degree connector runs across the top and the one for the straight connector runs below it. The top pad is easy to activate but the lower one requires a lot of force and sometimes you can find a spot where only the top pad will work.

Because of this I'm going to wait to see if it become a more prevalent issue and cables are replaced. :( Running 3 pads, as pictured, now. Main laser at 11, Light at 12, and Vis Override last at 1.

** I just noticed the Y cable pictured in the original post is different than the one I have and the spare I purchased both look rather cheap and are much thinner than the single switch that comes with all DBALs. Steiner cutting corners?

Switch on left is single switch with a very responsive feel that comes with all DBALs.
Switch on the right is the double switch with no responsive feeling for the A3. (This doesn't look like the one pictured on the original post)

Reference Image Below
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll161/MidwestIowaShooter/FullSizeRender_zps17orbxep.jpg

The laser is perfect!

The only complaint I have is the dual y cable for using it with the Mark 4 weapon light (which I have but not pictured) is bad. I think the way this pressure pad was created was the pad for the 90 degree connector runs across the top and the one for the straight connector runs below it. The top pad is easy to activate but the lower one requires a lot of force and sometimes you can find a spot where only the top pad will work.

Because of this I'm going to wait to see if it become a more prevalent issue and cables are replaced. :( Running 3 pads, as pictured, now. Main laser at 11, Light at 12, and Vis Override last at 1.

** I just noticed the Y cable pictured in the original post is different than the one I have and the spare I purchased both look rather cheap and are much thinner than the single switch that comes with all DBALs. Steiner cutting corners?

Switch on left is single switch with a very responsive feel that comes with all DBALs.
Switch on the right is the double switch with no responsive feeling for the A3. (This doesn't look like the one pictured on the original post)
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll161/MidwestIowaShooter/IMG_0205_zpsjcrssenr.jpg

Reference Image Below
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll161/MidwestIowaShooter/VOR_zpscpgienvl-3_zpsa69knhff.png
View Quote

That's very interesting. The switch on the right looks like junk. Mine should be here Friday, I'll post a pic of it then.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's very interesting. The switch on the right looks like junk. Mine should be here Friday, I'll post a pic of it then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll161/MidwestIowaShooter/FullSizeRender_zps17orbxep.jpg

The laser is perfect!

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll161/MidwestIowaShooter/IMG_0205_zpsjcrssenr.jpg

Reference Image Below
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll161/MidwestIowaShooter/VOR_zpscpgienvl-3_zpsa69knhff.png

Please do. I hope I just have a bad cable but the quality of the single cable is far better than the dual that looks like someone just used some heat shrink.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#38]

(Sorry for the potato pictures...)
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Just got word the new I2's will be shipping at the end of June. Sorry for the delay.

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

Off topic - but do you have any update on the single spectrum I2 shipping date?

I do have an A3 on order, but also an I2.

Haven't forgot about ya Brother. Awaiting official word on the ship dates for the I2's.

Vic

Just got word the new I2's will be shipping at the end of June. Sorry for the delay.

Vic

No problem, thanks for the update!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

Vic

Vic,

What blade is that?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I bet it's a MicroTek.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#44]
And I just happen to have one on me right now!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#45]
So being new to switches on my guns. I put the double switch in last night and and the alternate button just always turns the vis laser. Is that just what the second input always does? If so I might just leave it vacant. Could I use the single switch to activate my selected settings??  Also I am using it on my 8 inch 300 with a suppressor and damn if my 7" larue rail isn't kinda cramped now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So being new to switches on my guns. I put the double switch in last night and and the alternate button just always turns the vis laser. Is that just what the second input always does? If so I might just leave it vacant. Could I use the single switch to activate my selected settings??  Also I am using it on my 8 inch 300 with a suppressor and damn if my 7" larue rail isn't kinda cramped now.
View Quote

The Y cable was intended to go into the visible override port and a Steiner weapon light that way if you running everything under night vision and the situation requires the visible laser and white light regardless of the lasers setting you would hit the dual pressure pad. If you don't have a need for that disregard the override port and plug the single switch in the normal far right port that will activate whatever the laser is set to.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:09:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks. Love it. Much lighter weight than I imagined too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey!
Are these going to be available in foliage green eventually?

Quoted:

Vic
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top