Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2015 11:00:02 PM EDT
What type of maintenance is required for long term storage of Gen3 NV?  Other than taking the AA battery out is there anything you should do?  Is there any benefit to using it every month or so for a few minutes at a time?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Run the carb dry and spray some mystery oil in there

I think a cool dry place sans battery is a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Store in a padded container... Or sell it if it's not getting much use.

Seriously, you shouldn't need to change the battery more than once a year if it's infrequent use. Use a good quality energizer battery and leave it ready to go - :) You can also put a thin insulator in there if you want to store the battery in the unit safely.

Only discharged batteries usually leak.

Regards

David
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:56:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Could always store it with lithium AA's. I've never heard of a case of leaky lithiums, and they last a whole lot longer for long term storage.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Take the batteries out and forget about it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#5]
It may depend on what scope your talking about...

We have D-740's and with the switch in the off position they still draw a little power from the battery so eventually the battery will be discharged...and we're not talking months here.

The monoculars don't so they can be stored with batteries, we just choose not to do so.

We  have some Gen II scopes that we keep around and use maybe once or twice a year. They are stored without batteries and we've noticed no degradation due to the long storage without use.

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#7]
It's not the best advice from those saying to keep the battery in during long term storage.  For starters why risk a battery leak ruining your high priced device.  And if it's truly long term storage the battery has no real reason to be left in.  Personally I would take the battery out, give the device a quick clean and put it in a zip lock bag to keep moisture out.  If I know I'll be using my unit in the next few days or couple of weeks I keep the battery in but If I had to store it for months I'd do the above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top