Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2015 1:48:15 AM EDT
Got my LWTS on Friday and had a chance to take it to the range this morning. I don't plan on doing a full review since Fordkicksass has done an excellent job with that already, (see here.) but I thought I'd take some video in case some are interested.

The first part of the video was taken in stand-alone mode on my AR-10 and the second part is in clip-on mode in front of a Vortex Razor HD 1-6. There is no view through the day scope since I was using the video out with a DVR, but I'm working on a video setup to get some pictures/footage through the scope and clip-on.

Video Link

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 7:10:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome video Rich, thanks for putting it out there. I am saving up for this one currently. Any chance you could do some close up still capture shots of your dog or something? I feel like there aren't enough videos or pictures of what this one does despite hearing so many good things.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
That video is OUTSTANDING, well done.  The first time I had mine to a range I was astounded that I could see the heat spot from the bullet impact just like in your video.  What was the approximate temperature when you were out with it?  I'm sure you probably have already, but if not, do yourself a huge favor and read that manual cover to cover a couple times.  One thing I did after having it for a couple months is to rotate the objective lens cover retainer 90 degrees so that the cover flips left to right instead of up and down.  I have found that this allows me to more easily manipulate the objective lens for focusing from a shooting position.  That being said, once you get to playing with it for a bit you will find a nice "sweet spot" that makes so you don't have to do much adjusting as long as you are shooting from 75ish yards to infinite (close targets are still easily made out, just not with maximum clarity).  It has a very good depth of field.

I had mine out last night in front of a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP MOA and just kept thinking how much I love this thermal.  I've had mine for ten months now and it still blows me away when I use it.  It functions as a clip-on and dedicated sight, uses AA batteries (as few as 2), has a nice 40mm+ manual focus lens, selectable auto or manual NUC (you can still do a shuttered or shutterless manual NUC at any time by pressing two buttons simultaneously, regardless of mode), fully adjustable gain/level/LED brightness, and the most intuitive control setup I've used on a thermal before.  No navigating through menus to do a NUC, change POL, FOV, or go from stand-alone to clip-on.  If you want to though, you can access all of those functions through the menus as well.  No cartoonish image, screen/menu freezes, trouble operating in low temperatures, nada.  This sight has been around for quite a while longer than newer stuff so it makes sense that the software/firmware has bee updated to the point of removing/mitigating any remaining teething problems.  I love mine.  Congratulations on your purchase.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That video is OUTSTANDING, well done.  The first time I had mine to a range I was astounded that I could see the heat spot from the bullet impact just like in your video.  What was the approximate temperature when you were out with it?  I'm sure you probably have already, but if not, do yourself a huge favor and read that manual cover to cover a couple times.  One thing I did after having it for a couple months is to rotate the objective lens cover retainer 90 degrees so that the cover flips left to right instead of up and down.  I have found that this allows me to more easily manipulate the objective lens for focusing from a shooting position.  That being said, once you get to playing with it for a bit you will find a nice "sweet spot" that makes so you don't have to do much adjusting as long as you are shooting from 75ish yards to infinite (close targets are still easily made out, just not with maximum clarity).  It has a very good depth of field.

I had mine out last night in front of a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP MOA and just kept thinking how much I love this thermal.  I've had mine for ten months now and it still blows me away when I use it.  It functions as a clip-on and dedicated sight, uses AA batteries (as few as 2), has a nice 40mm+ manual focus lens, selectable auto or manual NUC (you can still do a shuttered or shutterless manual NUC at any time by pressing two buttons simultaneously, regardless of mode), fully adjustable gain/level/LED brightness, and the most intuitive control setup I've used on a thermal before.  No navigating through menus to do a NUC, change POL, FOV, or go from stand-alone to clip-on.  If you want to though, you can access all of those functions through the menus as well.  No cartoonish image, screen/menu freezes, trouble operating in low temperatures, nada.  This sight has been around for quite a while longer than newer stuff so it makes sense that the software/firmware has bee updated to the point of removing/mitigating any remaining teething problems.  I love mine.  Congratulations on your purchase.
View Quote

What is a realistic street price for one of these with a video cable?  Most I see are in the $12K range. Any hints on acquiring one legitimately but in a cost effective manner?  My go to stores either don't have them or price near msrp.  TIA.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I got mine for $9995 shipped last year from Sierra Pacific Innovations (aka SPI), I bet with some haggling you could get close to that.  The price has seemed to trend the wrong direction over the last 18 months.  Aside from my silencers, I consider this to be one of the best gun purchases I've ever made.  Also there is a guy that runs a place called USAtactics that I found on the hide, he had the second best price when I was looking.  All that being said, don't go by internet price with any of these places give them a call and see what sort of cash price they will give you.  Bottom line, shop around.  These are commercially available brand new mil-spec units so don't worry about these having fallen off the truck so to speak.  They're brand new from L3/Insight and come with a serial-specific receipt.  If you can get the chance to try one, especially against other competitors, take it...  it's pretty eye-opening.  IMHO, L3 really hit a home run with this device.  Almost a year later, I still like the sight better than the dollars I traded for it
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks! I'm guessing it was around low to mid 70's while I was at the range. That's a great idea with the lens cover. I had actually been trying to decide between up and down. Didn't even think to rotate it to the side. That's an excellent overall summary of the unit and your impressions appear to be spot on with how I feel about it, even though I've only had it for a couple days. I've used a lot of thermals over the past year and the LWTS seems to be one of the best, if not the best, in terms of overall performance, ease of use, and versatility. The image quality might be a tiny bit better on the UTM, but LWTS has a better user interface, bigger output lens, and arguably a better mount, especially if you plan to use it as a dedicated scope. The reticle selection and zeroing adjustments are also way better on the LWTS. Most importantly, the purchase of an LWTS does not include a free visit from the DOD

As requested, lots and lots of dog pictures

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:15:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I need money right now, and will NOT sell mine.

I really, really wish I could find a video cable for a 'reasonable' cost...

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks! I'm guessing it was around low to mid 70's while I was at the range. That's a great idea with the lens cover. I had actually been trying to decide between up and down. Didn't even think to rotate it to the side. That's an excellent overall summary of the unit and your impressions appear to be spot on with how I feel about it, even though I've only had it for a couple days. I've used a lot of thermals over the past year and the LWTS seems to be one of the best, if not the best, in terms of overall performance, ease of use, and versatility. The image quality might be a tiny bit better on the UTM, but LWTS has a better user interface, bigger output lens, and arguably a better mount, especially if you plan to use it as a dedicated scope. The reticle selection and zeroing adjustments are also way better on the LWTS. Most importantly, the purchase of an LWTS does not include a free visit from the DOD

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7611/16602572124_fb88a7d27c_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7623/17017592487_9600cab70c_c.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5344/17199056916_35dacb26b5_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7606/16604945653_1e829c63f0_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7644/16604810843_b82dab67af_c.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8795/17200378386_2167f36a4d_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7710/17226318825_c6b44f4bb7_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7726/17038776970_ddd4a7b0ef_z.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7611/16602572124_fb88a7d27c_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7623/17017592487_9600cab70c_c.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5344/17199056916_35dacb26b5_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7606/16604945653_1e829c63f0_c.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7644/16604810843_b82dab67af_c.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8795/17200378386_2167f36a4d_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7710/17226318825_c6b44f4bb7_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7726/17038776970_ddd4a7b0ef_z.jpg

Mother of God those are some good pics!  At one point a few years ago I owned six thermal units (five weapon sights and a handheld) and four gen 3 NV units, I have now streamlined it down to one thermal (LWTS) and one very nice PVS-14 w/ a NightCap.  Despite the smaller number of devices, my current setup is infinitely better than what I had before.  The LWTS is a fantastically versatile device, I just can't say enough good about it and the amount of thought put into its design.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Well dang, that's exactly what I wanted to see! I'm not sure what I'm more excited for, waiting for my mac 11 or waiting to save up for this thing. I am always thinking of stuff to sell, if only this was a sellers market for guns I would be flipping half of my collection.

The ATN and Armasight 640 clip ons look good for the price but I bet the housing on those feel much cheaper than the LWTS just from what I heard about those companies. Sorry but I can't get over those fake pictures on ATN's website. Then there is the IR defense stuff which looks great but I can't justify buying from such a new company, especially until they get their software glitches worked out. Flir T70 just seems over priced to me, did I miss anyone? I'm still convinced on that LWTS.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Good pics and video Rich,

Been talking off and on to Ford about his LWTS.

Soon...
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Finished my camera setup for taking clip-on pictures through my day scope.

Based on the test picture, I think this thing is going to work pretty well

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8693/17043867559_7e7faba8fb_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7636/17203062426_a6b89df915_z.jpg
View Quote

Very much looking forward to more pictures from that setup, I haven't yet tried to any degree to get decent pics through the scope/clip-on combination.  That pic of yours above turned out really, really well.  I don't know if you are into shooting subsonic rimfire or not but it is a hoot to watch the little heat signature of the bullet zip through the air en route to the target.  Supersonic rimfire would probably work too but the slower the bullet the better for capturing on a 30 hz thermal.  45 ACP looks like golf balls zipping downrange!  The combination of a suppressed 22 rifle, subsonic ammo, FFP day scope, and LWTS makes shooting steel targets at varying distances entirely too much fun  I wish I got to hog hunt regularly, but on the one hunt I have gotten to go on the LWTS was an absolutely invaluable asset...  one shot, one kill.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:59:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8693/17043867559_7e7faba8fb_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7636/17203062426_a6b89df915_z.jpg

Sweet pics!

Btw, that UTM is the tits!

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:48:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes that UTM is outstanding as well. Don't  want to derail but is there any speculation if that will be on the market in the future?

edit: I guess I should specify, legal unrestricted market.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Very much looking forward to more pictures from that setup, I haven't yet tried to any degree to get decent pics through the scope/clip-on combination.  That pic of yours above turned out really, really well.  I don't know if you are into shooting subsonic rimfire or not but it is a hoot to watch the little heat signature of the bullet zip through the air en route to the target.  Supersonic rimfire would probably work too but the slower the bullet the better for capturing on a 30 hz thermal.  45 ACP looks like golf balls zipping downrange!  The combination of a suppressed 22 rifle, subsonic ammo, FFP day scope, and LWTS makes shooting steel targets at varying distances entirely too much fun  I wish I got to hog hunt regularly, but on the one hunt I have gotten to go on the LWTS was an absolutely invaluable asset...  one shot, one kill.
View Quote

I don't have a 22, but I could see if it works shooting subs with my 300 blackout. A while back I had a DBAL on there with a green visible laser and you could see the bullets pass through the beam. I love hog hunting. Pretty much the reason I got into NV in the first place.

A few more pictures through the day scope:

Compared to NV clip-on:

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the hard work doing this.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#16]
That thing looks fantastic!   Great camera work too.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#17]
More very illustative photos. Thanks again.

JPK
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Good stuff, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#19]
These are the first internet pics I've seen that truly show how fantastic the image is, it just looks like black and white reality  Any chance we could get approximate distances with these?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Great pics!  Are you using auto settings on dslr? Or Manuel?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome pictures! To bad I just bought a house....
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:20:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks guys

KD, I use the manual setting on my DSLR camera. Thermal pictures are a little more straightforward than NV pictures since the image is so bright. The biggest problem with using the auto setting is that the picture usually ends up overexposed.

Ford, I wasn't paying much attention to distance when I took the previous set of pictures, but I will try to remember to include distances and magnification from now on.

I took some new pictures and video on Sunday night. Video below. Pics on the way.

Video of a couple deer at about 10-15 yards:
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#25]
That is really fantastic. Thanks for posting.

I'm guessing the wind swirled and they got your scent?

JPK
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That is really fantastic. Thanks for posting.

I'm guessing the wind swirled and they got your scent?

JPK
View Quote

Thanks! I have no idea what took them so long to bust me. I was out of breath and sweating like crazy from walking 400 or so yards to check out some heat signatures that turned out to be cows You can actually see the trail in the grass I had just made 30 seconds before the deer crosses over it. I guess the deer must be aware on some level that they are essentially untouchable at night and outside of hunting season.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't know if you are into shooting subsonic rimfire or not but it is a hoot to watch the little heat signature of the bullet zip through the air en route to the target.  Supersonic rimfire would probably work too but the slower the bullet the better for capturing on a 30 hz thermal.  45 ACP looks like golf balls zipping downrange!  The combination of a suppressed 22 rifle, subsonic ammo, FFP day scope, and LWTS makes shooting steel targets at varying distances entirely too much fun  I wish I got to hog hunt regularly, but on the one hunt I have gotten to go on the LWTS was an absolutely invaluable asset...  one shot, one kill.
View Quote

I just ordered a 22lr conversion kit for my AR and I should get my silencers this month. I went back and watched the video in your thread and I'm super excited about discreetly sniping rats and other pests without disturbing neighbors or spooking pigs. Should make for some entertaining video footage.

Here's Ford's link for anyone who missed it link
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I just ordered a 22lr conversion kit for my AR and I should get my silencers this month. I went back and watched the video in your thread and I'm super excited about discreetly sniping rats and other pests without disturbing neighbors or spooking pigs. Should make for some entertaining video footage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know if you are into shooting subsonic rimfire or not but it is a hoot to watch the little heat signature of the bullet zip through the air en route to the target.  Supersonic rimfire would probably work too but the slower the bullet the better for capturing on a 30 hz thermal.  45 ACP looks like golf balls zipping downrange!  The combination of a suppressed 22 rifle, subsonic ammo, FFP day scope, and LWTS makes shooting steel targets at varying distances entirely too much fun  I wish I got to hog hunt regularly, but on the one hunt I have gotten to go on the LWTS was an absolutely invaluable asset...  one shot, one kill.

Well then get ready to have an unholy amount of fun . Start saving plastic bottles and jugs they make for great targets when filled with water.  The farther out the more fun since you get to watch the flight path.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Not to stray off topic but which silencers did you pick up Rich? I bought a spectre II and as soon as I picked it up I purchased another. Suppressed 22 is easily the most fun suppressed caliber.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not to stray off topic but which silencers did you pick up Rich? I bought a spectre II and as soon as I picked it up I purchased another. Suppressed 22 is easily the most fun suppressed caliber.
View Quote

Got a couple AAC 762-SD's. Kinda stuck with the platform now, but at least it will be easy to move them around from one rifle to another.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top