BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anyone had an issue with the update failing and making the screen just white?  The FLIR GUI now asks to put the scope in bulk mode (its stuck in DFU mode).  Anyway to reset it?  Currently its "bricked"
View Quote

I did that to mine last year, had to be sent to FLIR to correct. I thought they changed the software to eliminated this as a possibility after I found this "flaw".  
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#2]
That is only possible if this is the first time that you have ever updated your RS scope, you need to allow the USB drivers to fully install (takes a good 3-4 minutes) before trying to first use the GUI.

Then before you try to install any software/firmware, be sure that you can READ the information off your RS scope first to make certain that USB drivers are installed and communication is active.

You also may need to update an outdated version of Microsoft Net.Framework version to be able to communicate too.

The downloaded ZIP file also contain excellent instruction in both PDF and MS Word files which should be read prior to hooking things up and proceeding with the update.

However, once you have updated your RS scope ONCE, all future updates will be instant since all the required drivers are already totally installed and functioning.

BTW, if your totally fried the pooch, contact FLIR Customer Service for excellent assistance with your new thermal paper weight...
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

BTW, if your totally fried the pooch, contact FLIR Customer Service for excellent assistance with your new thermal paper weight...
View Quote

They went above & beyond in helping my problem. Fantastic customer service.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If this is the first time that you have ever updated your RS scope, you need to allow the USB drivers to fully install (takes a good 3-4 minutes) before trying to use the GUI since there is no communication between the GUI and the RS scope without the USB drivers installed.

After they have all installed, then hook up your RS to the computer with the scope turned OFF, open up your GUI, turn on your RS scope ON and read the information from your scope using the GUI.

Once that has occurred, you have communication and can proceed with the update.

If adequate time was not allowed for the USB driver install prior to attempting to run the GUI and install the update, it will fail and lock up your scope.

Try uninstalling and then reinstalling your GUI from the download, make certain the USB drivers are fully installed, and try to reinstall the dfu again.

Software may also ask to update to the latest Microsoft Net Framework software version to allow communication, if so, update that from Microsoft site.
View Quote

I did a full windows update and I was able to successfully update the scope now.  I still have the same issue I had before attempting to update the scope.  When power is applied, I only get a white screen.  I can hear the NUC calibrating but nothing else (no splash screen, crosshairs, etc.)  I am in touch with FLIR - looks like it needs to go back to them.  Makes me a little leery of quality/reliability as this is an unfired unit - zero abuse.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#5]
999/1,000 times it is failure to install USB drivers to begin with.

Once they are installed it take about five seconds to complete the update.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I did a full windows update and I was able to successfully update the scope now.  I still have the same issue I had before attempting to update the scope.  When power is applied, I only get a white screen.  I can hear the NUC calibrating but nothing else (no splash screen, crosshairs, etc.)  I am in touch with FLIR - looks like it needs to go back to them.  Makes me a little leery of quality/reliability as this is an unfired unit - zero abuse.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If this is the first time that you have ever updated your RS scope, you need to allow the USB drivers to fully install (takes a good 3-4 minutes) before trying to use the GUI since there is no communication between the GUI and the RS scope without the USB drivers installed.

After they have all installed, then hook up your RS to the computer with the scope turned OFF, open up your GUI, turn on your RS scope ON and read the information from your scope using the GUI.

Once that has occurred, you have communication and can proceed with the update.

If adequate time was not allowed for the USB driver install prior to attempting to run the GUI and install the update, it will fail and lock up your scope.

Try uninstalling and then reinstalling your GUI from the download, make certain the USB drivers are fully installed, and try to reinstall the dfu again.

Software may also ask to update to the latest Microsoft Net Framework software version to allow communication, if so, update that from Microsoft site.

I had the exact same problem, FLIR will take good care of you. It is a solid product just got to be careful when you update the software.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys for the replies - FLIR is working with me now on a repair/replacement.  Looking forward to seeing these new updates, they look great!  The ability to update (albeit seemingly difficult) is the reason why I went with this scope - makes it more future proof in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I hope they get working on the firmware update for the T-70 soon.  I realize it's not a simple plug and play like this update to the RS line, but I'd gladly send it in once it's available.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Did the upgrade a couple days ago and my zero was were I left it when I checked today at the range. I needed to check zero anyway with a new load.

This upgrade is not just one piece of dfu SW like before. The file runs 3 installs, scope, core and I forget what else. I had no issues. read the install instructions.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 7:28:29 AM EDT
[#10]
It is pretty awesome, but the next one will be pretty awesome too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It is pretty awesome, but the next one will be pretty awesome too.
View Quote

I'm updating my firmware as we speak.  What are they going to change in the next version ?
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 5:04:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Just went out tonight for the first time post firmware upgrade.  Made a BIG difference, and cured a fair number of my complaints with the RS64 (blooming issues with contrast).  I'm hopeful that Flir continues to tweak the firmware, and get the image quality even better on the RS64.  Holy grail to me would be something thats equal (or better ) then my buddy's handheld MTM.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just went out tonight for the first time post firmware upgrade.  Made a BIG difference, and cured a fair number of my complaints with the RS64 (blooming issues with contrast).  I'm hopeful that Flir continues to tweak the firmware, and get the image quality even better on the RS64.  Holy grail to me would be something thats equal (or better ) then my buddy's handheld MTM.

View Quote

Agreed, excellent update!  Looking forward to more.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Looking forward to the 11 micron bolometer too!

A 7 micron microbolometer would have been nice but would have lost half the wavelength...
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#15]
One other tip I found out if you're having trouble getting the software to install is to run Windows Updates (from Microsoft) on your computer and install all required files.  Make sure your .NET Frameowrk is up to date as well (should be updated during WinUpdate)
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#16]
NetFramework just had half a dozen updates yesterday, but it is important for communication.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Image looks way better, still not seeing a huge difference in scene settings, each one seems brighter than the previous one though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#18]
The next upgrade will have some new reticules available, stadimetric BDC reticules take more math and will take more time.

But there are some ultra-cool proprietary InstaAlert variations being manipulated, including some for specific use during the day light hours that will fantastically increase contrast on the thermal signatures being observed that are also awesome at night too...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top