Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2015 1:22:13 AM EDT
I'm looking for a basic IR light to mount to a helmet's rail. Currently have a Surefire helmet light that most everyone in the Army has been issued. It's alright, but the mount sucks and falls off. Plus there is only an IR IFF mode on it.

Hoping to find some IR illum for small rooms, vehicle trunks, barn, etc. Not looking to have alot of bloom or throwback light. Just something lightweight and easy to use and doesn't require a myriad of extra accessories to attach to an ARC Rail. Budget is around $100.

So far, some of my top contenders are:
1) Energizer Hard Case Tango
2) Streamlight Sidewinder Compact
3) Princeton Tec Switch Rail / MPLS

Any advice or reviews of the ones I've suggested would be helpful.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:16:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I recently picked up an Inforce WML in flat dark earth with both a white light and an IR light from Optics Planet for about $113 shipped.  It's a single cell CR123 powered light.  The mount is built into the light.  It will mount directly onto the ARC rail picatinny adapter without needing any other adapters to interface.  It sits low profile against the helmet, albeit not as low profile as the Surefire helmet lights.  It has constant high and low along with momentary functions in both white and IR mode.  It also has a strobe feature that can be disabled.  Activation is simple with only one button to push.  

Yes there are better options on the market.  This is still a decent option to consider given your parameters.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:51:10 AM EDT
[#2]
surefire m1 ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I just switched my Inforce IR WML to the side of my helmet last night. replacing the surefire.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:22:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I use the Inforce WML white/IR on one side (left) and the princeton tec point in RED on the other side (right). Seems to be a pretty good combo so far.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I hadn't considered the Inforce WML for helmet light. Was thinking of getting one to mount on my rifle.

Would it be too powerful of an IR light for inside of a house, basement, vehicle? Don't want to wash out what I'm looking at.

I'm seriously considering the Energizer one since I found a deal for one around $60.

Too many choices.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hadn't considered the Inforce WML for helmet light. Was thinking of getting one to mount on my rifle.

Would it be too powerful of an IR light for inside of a house, basement, vehicle? Don't want to wash out what I'm looking at.

I'm seriously considering the Energizer one since I found a deal for one around $60.

Too many choices.
View Quote

There's a high and a low output mode on it.  If the high is too much at that moment, switch to low.  If the low is too much at that moment, switch to high.  You aren't relegated to only one intensity.

Pick one up and try it out for yourself.  Worst case, if you decide you don't like it on your helmet, move it to your rifle.  If you do like it, get another for your rifle or even consider it's big brother the WMLx for your rifle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:55:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I recently picked up an Inforce WML in flat dark earth with both a white light and an IR light from Optics Planet for about $113 shipped.  It's a single cell CR123 powered light.  The mount is built into the light.  It will mount directly onto the ARC rail picatinny adapter without needing any other adapters to interface.  It sits low profile against the helmet, albeit not as low profile as the Surefire helmet lights.  It has constant high and low along with momentary functions in both white and IR mode.  It also has a strobe feature that can be disabled.  Activation is simple with only one button to push.  

Yes there are better options on the market.  This is still a decent option to consider given your parameters.
View Quote

This.  I love my Inforce.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#8]
WML is awesome on a helmet. Both for white light and IR.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the sidewinder...red/blue/white/ir three brighness and strobe option....   works well.

Edit: Runs off one cr123 or AA
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like the sidewinder...red/blue/white/ir three brighness and strobe option....   works well.  

Edit: Runs off one cr123 or AA
View Quote

I've got several of the Sidewinder Compacts in the same configuration.  The highest level of IR on it is great for inside and outside out to about 25 or 30 yards, and has about an ideal spill/ lit up area, but it's not a long range IR source for a helmet.  Got one on my Team Wendy and one on my Night Cap (after installing a piece of polymer MagPul rail section).  On the opposite side of the Team Wendy, I have an old ATN IR450 that actually works pretty damn great.  Adjustable brightness/ output and adjustable spot-flood lens.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#11]
How is the IR output on the Princeton Tec Switch, for
You guys running those?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I have used a metric poop ton of lights. This takes the cake.
energizer helmet light.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Interesting.  I've been trying to get an attachment kit for the Energizer light and no joy.  Any suggestions?
View Quote

I saw the lack of availability of the ARC mount from Energizer too. Seems like the Tango has been discontinued and the phone number on their website doesn't work. So I'm going to pass on that one. Good looking light, but I need it to mount with ARC.

Most Surefire items are outside of my budget. The WML is just right on the edge of the budget, but since I've been looking at it for a while and I would be good for my rifle, I'm not ruling it out.

Right now it's coming down to the Sidewinder, but it seems clunky and rather large.

Also curious about the IR rating for the Princeton Tec MPLS/Switch Rail. I'm guessing those two would be good for tiny rooms and vehicle interiors.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone used the Princeton Tec Charge/Charge Pro MPLS?

Looks similar to the Switch but with a larger battery box and naturally works with the ARC rails.

Wish Princeton Tec would list the strength of the IR leds included. If I were to get one, I'd probably just get the White/IR, not bother with any other color.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:24:27 AM EDT
[#17]
The Sidewinder iCompact II is in my opinion the most versatile helmet lamp.
White, red, IR, blue , different brighness modes, all colours have flashing mode, useable with headband as headlamp.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I lucked out yesterday evening. Extreme Outfitters had several Princeton Tec lights on sale, including the MPLS Point. Most were sold out, except for IR. Bought 2 IR at $12 each or $30 shipped for the pair, in sand color to match the cheap helmet I have.

Not sure what the illumination rating is for these IR lights, but their white led siblings are 10 lumen. Should be here by the weekend and I'll try them out and post pics. For that price, I figured they couldn't be all that bad.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:05:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Right now it's coming down to the Sidewinder, but it seems clunky and rather large.
View Quote

The Sidewinder COMPACT  II is a LOT smaller than the Sidewinder.  If your new purchases aren't bright enough, check one out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I just found the right spot for it and zip tied it to the mesh cover
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey guys.. just a heads up...  don't know how many they have in stock but for 12 bucks its hard to beat.... I know they are down one...

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#23]
That's the same place I found the MPLS Points I purchased. Can't beat that price.

Nice way of setting up your Energizer pbjunkiee. Probably about the best you can do since I doubt they're going to make any more of their stuff.

Raf, I hope you can get a full kit. If you do, let us know. I can find some of the Energizers online for cheap, but don't want to have to go through alot of effort to attach it to the helmet.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Dang.... I didn't even see your post above about E.Outfitters....  my bad.. I had just gotten the E-mail about them being 70 percent off...  Damn good price.. Cheaper then the mounts.  Now I gotta order those..  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Cheaper then the mounts.  Now I gotta order those..  
View Quote

What mounts are you referring to? I thought the lights came with mounts in the package. If not, I'll find out this weekend when the package arrives.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
What mounts are you referring to? I thought the lights came with mounts in the package. If not, I'll find out this weekend when the package arrives.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you need these: http://www.optactical.com/prtecmpacmok.html

To mount to helmet..
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I think you need these: http://www.optactical.com/prtecmpacmok.html   To mount to helmet..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you need these: http://www.optactical.com/prtecmpacmok.html   To mount to helmet..

You're right. All the main package comes with is a MOLLE mount and an ACH/MICH/PASGT mount. Nothing wrong with that, but was hoping to have an ARC mount instead of one of those two.

I'll probably order one accessory kit for the two lights.

Overall, I like the light. Works well in the small room I was trying it out in. Could tell a difference in low and high setting. Well worth it.

Anyone know if TNVC offers military discount on these items?
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#29]
The difficulty of contacting them and getting parts makes me wonder what happened to the Hard Case line. Maybe the military quit buying and they decided to quit the game.

The Energizer seemed like the best all in one I could find. The picatinny mount would have worked too.

Anyway, I plan on getting the mount kit for the MPLS Point I have. Later I'll add a Switch to the opposite side with white/red light. Should provide decent all around utility light. With those two lights on the rail plus some headphone adapters, should fill out the rest of the helmet.

Also need to find a way to mount the Phoenix JR IR beacon I have.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
energizer helmet light.

View Quote

This is the helmet unit I run. It will slip directly into an Ops Core ARC Rail if you can live without the rotation feature. This makes it very low profile. My setup has a ty wrap at the front to keep the unit from sliding off, even though it is tight in the rail. At the back, I used 550 cord to tether the light and secure it from sliding aft. The switching is downright fantastic. My only complaint is the throw pattern of the IR LED is a bit erratic, but entirely useable. Paid $59 for it. Here is a link to where I bought mine, Glenn's Army Surplus
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is the helmet unit I run. It will slip directly into an Ops Core ARC Rail if you can live without the rotation feature. This makes it very low profile. My setup has a ty wrap at the front to keep the unit from sliding off, even though it is tight in the rail. At the back, I used 550 cord to tether the light and secure it from sliding aft
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
energizer helmet light.

http://uktactical.com/images/product/large/5262_5.jpg

This is the helmet unit I run. It will slip directly into an Ops Core ARC Rail if you can live without the rotation feature. This makes it very low profile. My setup has a ty wrap at the front to keep the unit from sliding off, even though it is tight in the rail. At the back, I used 550 cord to tether the light and secure it from sliding aft

Can you take a picture of your setup? If it slips into the ARC Rail, then would be great. I'm fine with some small tweaks. Hell, I think 550 cord is mandatory for most objects on gear due to trees and brush like to steal stuff.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Can you take a picture of your setup? If it slips into the ARC Rail, then would be great. I'm fine with some small tweaks. Hell, I think 550 cord is mandatory for most objects on gear due to trees and brush like to steal stuff.
View Quote

Sure thing. Helmet just got a fresh paint job. Here ya go.

Look close. You can see the ty wrap that arrests forward movement.

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Nice pics. Thanks for posting.

What did you have to modify on the mount? I found another thread where a guy trimmed part of the Tango's main body to fit into the rail. The helmet mount looks like there is a bit of metal that goes under the edge of the helmet.

Regardless, I definitely thinking of ordering this light. I'm sure paired with the MPLS Point and Phoenix JR, I wouldn't need much else on my helmet.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Another vote for the Energizer. I have the same as previously posted and it is an outstanding piece of equipment. Much better switching and light output modes than the SF.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nice pics. Thanks for posting.

What did you have to modify on the mount? I found another thread where a guy trimmed part of the Tango's main body to fit into the rail. The helmet mount looks like there is a bit of metal that goes under the edge of the helmet.

Regardless, I definitely thinking of ordering this light. I'm sure paired with the MPLS Point and Phoenix JR, I wouldn't need much else on my helmet.
View Quote

No mods, just removed the mount it came with.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://ipschoser1.smugmug.com/photos/i-mq23MQH/0/O/i-mq23MQH.jpg
View Quote

Looking at the pictures, I have no idea what you did to make that work. It looks good and is much closer to the rail than the factory ARC rail mount.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Looking at the pictures, I have no idea what you did to make that work. It looks good and is much closer to the rail than the factory ARC rail mount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Basically removed the rail from the helmet, added a ty wrap, reinstalled the rail and slid the HardCase in from the aft portion of the rail. No other mods whatsoever (save some gutted 550 cord to lanyard the unit on the rear. Nothing to it.

The low profile of this setup is nice.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:10:16 AM EDT
[#38]
So moral of the story is energizer should have marked their product better and they could have dominated the market?

Amirite?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So moral of the story is energizer should have marked their product better and they could have dominated the market?

Amirite?
View Quote

Not sure why this product fizzled. It is very good. At $59, it is a downright fantastic buy.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:50:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Basically removed the rail from the helmet, added a ty wrap, reinstalled the rail and slid the HardCase in from the aft portion of the rail. No other mods whatsoever (save some gutted 550 cord to lanyard the unit on the rear. Nothing to it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for posting that, I will try it!
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Went ahead and ordered a Red LED version of the Tango. Should be here later this week or early next week. Only $58 shipped. Look forward to trying it. Depending on how it works, I may or may not attach the MPLS Point IR and the Phoenix JR IR strobe to my helmet.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Went ahead and ordered a Red LED version of the Tango. Should be here later this week or early next week. Only $58 shipped. Look forward to trying it. Depending on how it works, I may or may not attach the MPLS Point IR and the Phoenix JR IR strobe to my helmet.
View Quote

Cool. Let us know how you like it. I think you'll find the switching is very well thought out.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I really like the inforce WML for this.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Cool. Let us know how you like it. I think you'll find the switching is very well thought out.
View Quote

The Energizer Hard Case Tactical Tango came in today. The seller packed it in an extremely large package for such a tiny box. Amused by the warning on the side of package about certain radio freqs messing with the light.

Mounted the ACH mount on my Army issue ACH. More solid than the silly Surefire one, which had a tendency to fall off.

In regards to the lights, the Tango does a great job overall. Love the switches. The red and white LED are plenty bright, especially with the white light almost blinding to others.

Under night vision, the IR is ok. The IFF beacon functions well and would work out to a reasonable distance, but is no MS2000 or Phoenix JR. Wasn't blinding to my PNV-57E. I feel comfortable in not carrying any other IR IFF on my helmet, just use this
However, the IR LED is a little lacking when compared to the MPLS Point IR I received last week. Seems to provide alright light to provide some basic illumination but doesn't throw very far. The Point does a better job and is adjustable on IR brightness. The Energizer is only one setting.

Attaching the Tango to an ARC rail wasn't too bad. Required some trimming of the clip on the light to get it to fit. Probably had to take about 1 to 1.5mm off each side. Not enough to affect working in other mounts. However I would recommend using 550cord to ensure it doesn't disappear if knocked off the rail.

Overall, the Tango was well worth the effort to get. The white and red and IFF IR work great. When pairing this light with the MPLS Point IR, then it works great. If I was in a field environment, more than likely I would have the IFF on and use the Point IR to get some extra light if I'm looking inside of a vehicle or small building.

Until I can figure out how to take pictures with my camera through the PNV-57E, I can't provide a good comparison of the IR lights.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The Energizer Hard Case Tactical Tango came in today. The seller packed it in an extremely large package for such a tiny box. Amused by the warning on the side of package about certain radio freqs messing with the light.

Mounted the ACH mount on my Army issue ACH. More solid than the silly Surefire one, which had a tendency to fall off.

In regards to the lights, the Tango does a great job overall. Love the switches. The red and white LED are plenty bright, especially with the white light almost blinding to others.

Under night vision, the IR is ok. The IFF beacon functions well and would work out to a reasonable distance, but is no MS2000 or Phoenix JR. Wasn't blinding to my PNV-57E. I feel comfortable in not carrying any other IR IFF on my helmet, just use this
However, the IR LED is a little lacking when compared to the MPLS Point IR I received last week. Seems to provide alright light to provide some basic illumination but doesn't throw very far. The Point does a better job and is adjustable on IR brightness. The Energizer is only one setting.

Attaching the Tango to an ARC rail wasn't too bad. Required some trimming of the clip on the light to get it to fit. Probably had to take about 1 to 1.5mm off each side. Not enough to affect working in other mounts. However I would recommend using 550cord to ensure it doesn't disappear if knocked off the rail.

Overall, the Tango was well worth the effort to get. The white and red and IFF IR work great. When pairing this light with the MPLS Point IR, then it works great. If I was in a field environment, more than likely I would have the IFF on and use the Point IR to get some extra light if I'm looking inside of a vehicle or small building.

Until I can figure out how to take pictures with my camera through the PNV-57E, I can't provide a good comparison of the IR lights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outstanding. Glad to hear you like your new Energizer unit. It's a great buy at $59.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#47]
I bought an inforce WML for my Team Wendy based on this thread and I really like it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I bought an inforce WML for my Team Wendy based on this thread and I really like it.
View Quote

Good way to go. That was my other plan. Can you post a pic of your setup. Nice to compare how everyone sets up their lights.

I plan on adding a WML IR to my rifle later this year after I deal with my wedding and honeymoon trip. Probably going to pair the WML with a Crimson Trace IR laser.

For now I'm trying to get use to my night vision and the fundamentals down, then work on getting nicer gear.

I did clip one of the MPLS Point IR to my tanker helmet. The helmet has flaps over the ear muffs that allowed the MPLS molle clip to stay in place. Works well, but I might move the light to one of the lens caps.

Really appreciated all the input from everyone on this thread. Glad to see others with the Energizer Tango. It is sad that they don't make any more of them, but at least they'll back us up to some degree.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#49]
here's a pic

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:45:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Anyone who has the energizer light, can you check the switch for the IFF and IR? Mine fell out and seems to be nothing more than a light friction fit holding it in place...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top