Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2015 3:33:01 PM EDT
I need some advice. A couple years ago, I bought a PVS-14, and dbal-d2. Been using it helmet mounted and sometimes weapon mounted, and it's been great. Last spring I bought a FLIR RS64-35mm, and I love it. Opened the box, went to my ranch, sighted it in, and shot a couple hogs that same night.

Here's my dilemma. I frequently have guests out at my place, most of whom don't have any NV gear. Also, I like to go hunt at night with my kids. I need more stuff, but I'm not sure what my next purchase should be.

The easy option would be another PVS-14, I suppose. But I've also been toying around with the idea of a PVS-22/BNS (just to try something new).

On top of that, I really love thermal, and I've been looking at the T-70. I understand the benefit and utility of a clip on as compared to a dedicated weapon sight, but can anyone help me compare the T-70 to my RS64-35mm?

Is there some other alternative I should be considering? I don't have an unlimited budget, but I certainly don't mind investing in quality gear. All of the night time hunting I do is inside of 250 yards, so no need for the really long range applications. Given my current lineup, what should be the next tool in the toolbag?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Given your requirements, I might suggest an AB Night Vision MOD-3 and another LAM.  

The MOD-3 will give you the opportunity to try out/use dual-tube night vision when you're alone, or with another person, or when your kids or more than one guest are with you, you can break the MOD-3s out into two separate monoculars.  Plus the PVS-14 you already have, you can equip three people navigate and move under NVDs.  

You already have one IR LAM, and a thermal scope - if you're talking about a three person party, another LAM and the MOD-3s will allow all three people to move to into position with NVDs, then have one person with the thermal scope for detection/spotting (and engaging), and the other two can use the lasers and helmet mounted monoculars to engage.

Throw in another $150 for a Crimson Trace on Lasermax miniature IR laser, and you can mount it on the weapon with the thermal sight, and they can use the superior thermal detection capabilities to spot and "lase" targets that might be more difficult to see with NV.  

That's basing a lot of your purchasing on other people being around, but dual tube NVDs are a lot of fun even when you're alone.  

Of course, I'm probably just jealous that you can legitimately contemplate purchasing a T-70.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#2]
If the T70 is in your budget then you owe it to yourself to look into the L3 LWTS.  Excellent picture, larger objective lens to gather more IR "information," has auto-calibration (which you can turn off if you would rather), super intuitive controls, and CHEAPER!  The LWTS won the Army's AN/PAS-13G contract over the competition.  I bought the LWTS after nearly buying an RS-64 35mm and could not be happier that I did just that.
ETA:  The LWTS design also allows it to see over standard A2 front sight bases, which allows it to work well w/ my SBR.  FSBs can get HOT
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Mod 3 was also at the top of my list. Primarily because I'm in the same situation, ie. friends with no NV and we all want to play at the same time. You'll have to look at Augee's end user review since mine are in the mail. I will tell you I got into it far cheaper then I thought I would. MX10160 tubes are good performers and can be found for decent prices.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the T70 is in your budget then you owe it to yourself to look into the L3 LWTS.  Excellent picture, larger objective lens to gather more IR "information," has auto-calibration (which you can turn off if you would rather), super intuitive controls, and CHEAPER!  The LWTS won the Army's AN/PAS-13G contract over the competition.  I bought the LWTS after nearly buying an RS-64 35mm and could not be happier that I did just that.
View Quote

This. Don't have one yet but talked to ford about it and I'm convinced. Once I have the money I'm buying the L3 LWTS pas13. Seems like a no brainier when it comes to the high end thermal stuff. Morovision has the best price on them I have seen at 11k
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Delete wrong thread
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:42:39 PM EDT
[#6]
For the price of the T-70 and the fact that you have kids I would go with another PVS-14 and an IR or more depending on how many kids you have.
Another 14 gets another person under nods walking around.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For the price of the T-70 and the fact that you have kids I would go with another PVS-14 and an IR or more depending on how many kids you have.
Another 14 gets another person under nods walking around.
View Quote

That is my initial reaction as well.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#8]
the manual gain mod 3 is a bit more expensive - and i'm not sure how much longer you'll be able to order it - if you can.

Between the $1500+ for that and another tube, and glass, you'll be over 3k and thats with you ripping apart  your current pvs-14. I would look around for a cheap anvis setup, or sell your current pvs-14 and go with the non manual gain mod-3 setup.

That, or wait for someone to sell a cheap anvis setup on the EE.

Or if you have lots of $, buy new. :)
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Or if you have lots of $, buy new. :)
View Quote

He did say he was considering buying a T-70 and looking for alternate suggestions...

You know how much I still want an ANVIS, but OP did mention going out with his kids, an ANVIS and a PVS-14 would still only allow two people to wear NVDs to navigate with.  

Adding a new MOD-3 to the PVS-14 (not tearing it apart and converting it) would allow him to have the benefits of dual tubes, but still equip three people to navigate with head mounted NVGs.

With the other LAM, and a UNI-IR for the thermal equipped rifle, everyone can play!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#10]
So lets say you have 15K to blow since you are eyeballing a T-70, but you want to get the best bang for your buck. A few have said T-70 and LWTS - Still going over 5 figures for one item. A good, quality item which is amazing and will never fail you, but still one item.

If you are looking to expand you arsenal for friends and family, and to try new things:

Instead of a PVS-22, the Adams Industries Legionaire I hear is not a bad little unit. They go for 4-5k depending on the tube - Autogated or Filmless tube will determine the price. But I mean for under 5,000 bucks for an Adams Industries clip on device? Bit of a no brainer there.

There are tons of great thermal scopes. ATN, Armasight and a whole whack of other companies also make thermal scopes. Forget em, cause the IR Hunter is around. For 6,500 you can get the 640 Mark II Ir Hunter, that acts as a standalone scope or a clip on. I don't know first hand but I've been told repeatedly it's the cats meow.

Right there, for around 10-11k you have a 640 Thermal as well as either a top of the line Gen 3 or a Filmless clip on. You still have wiggle room if you need NVG's for your friends so you can throw PVS-14's or ANVIS or whatever you can find cheap on the EE into the mix and keep you floating around the fifteen thousand mark with a lot more equipment to throw around.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:45:12 AM EDT
[#11]
With something like that rs64 already in arsenal, I can't see something like a pvs-22 being that awe-inspiring anymore for hog hunting at your distances.  Another pvs-14 and laser box on a light carbine would be a nice hand-me-out to friends and family to hunt with.  Once in your static position, handing off the thermal scope could be an option.  

Do you have a thermal spotter?  That seems like something you are missing.  Will a t-70 work like that?  be a great excuse for one if it does, save some money for an acog to go with it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for all the well thought out advice.

I love the idea of a IR laser on the rifle with the Flir. I'm mad that I hadn't thought of that already.

I think I definitely need another PVS-14 at a minimum. And now I'm thinking about the IR Defense Patrol, it seems pretty versatile.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:26:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top