Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2015 3:49:51 PM EDT
I've determined the psu on that flashing photonis tube to be faulty, by installing it on a couple different modules with the same result, a flashing display.

For the heck of it, I installed the module on an l3 autogated mx11769 psu I have that I know to be good. The photonis module fires up perfectly, seemingly. My understanding, thanks to some very helpful individuals, is that the PC voltage is different between gen 2 and gen 3, and that the MCP voltage can be adjusted via the pots.  Does anyone know if pc voltage is different enough to do damage to the module or will it be close enough to work long term? Any performance disadvantages to this setup?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:59:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Voltages mostly affect PC/MCP.

Gen3 can go up to 1000v, which may be a little high if you go into a Photonis tube with a low halo ( ES Field Intensity is the issue )

Most run at around 800v ( early Gen3, Gen2 ) to 600v ( Thin Film ) to around 200v ( Filmless ) -

MCP voltage can be set with gain.

Screen cutoff voltage can be set fairly well with ABC.

So, I think Photonis should probably run best at around 600v - So a thin film tube should be OK and autogated ones would probably work OK too -

Now.. I haven't tested any of that, but generally, as long as you're not getting problems, and any problems will likely show visually, then it's OK to use a Gen3 psu - though you might suffer a little loss of image quality -

Basically, these things just work of electric field strength afterall... If it's not arcing, it's probably OK.

Regards

David
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top