Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2015 9:54:49 PM EDT
Me and a friend have been doing a lot of NV hog hunting lately and I'm starting to see the need to have my suppressed 22/45 lite for taking care of coons, and other critters,or killing rabbits to eat, without having to use my .300blk and possibly scaring anything else in the area away.

I have a RMR on my G20 and with my head mounted PVS 14 I can aim surprisingly well as long as it's a bright enough night or I use an IR light to keep the bloom in check. I'm leaning towards trying some form of MRDS but I really don't want to buy another RMR right now. Any experience with the cheaper alternatives like a Fastfire? A small IR laser like a CT railmaster or Unimax is an option as well but I'd have to mount it on top or drill and tap the bottom of the barrel sleave to mount a picatinny section. It seems like the MRDS would be easier for making precise shots though.

Looking for input.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd love to find a rail to install under the barrel of a Lite version or a heavy barrel MKII for a light/laser.

Ruger MKIII model available with a factory under barrel rail, but Ruger will not sell it as a replacement part.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I was running a Unimax IR laser on a rail under the barrel of my Buckmark for a little while. It worked pretty well but I ended up replacing it with a weaponlight as it was more useful. Took forever to zero also.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Which MRDSs are NV compatible?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#4]
rm06 rmr is...
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:09:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a rmr06 on my g20 and it's awesome but I don't want to spend that much on a 22 sight. The Insight MRDS is listed as nv compatible also but it's $400+ also.

I'm thinking I may give one of the cheapo primary arms micro dot sights a try. Like this
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a suppressed MKII that I carry sometimes when hog hunting for dillos and skunks.  I have the 30mm 720nm IR bypass filter on my PVS 14 and just use the regular red laser in the Crimson Trace grips.  With the filter on the 14, a 5mW red laser has less of a dot/ bloom than .7mW IR laser by FAR.  Wit hthe 720 filter, the red 5mW laser's dot is very close to an LDI .7mW IR laser with the LDI nutral density filter attached.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd love to find a rail to install under the barrel of a Lite version or a heavy barrel MKII for a light/laser.

Ruger MKIII model available with a factory under barrel rail, but Ruger will not sell it as a replacement part.
View Quote

i had a rail installed under my barrel, i think it was made by Pac-Lite.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]
i need to find something to put on mine…

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the Burris FastFire sights, to bad there not NV compatible.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've often thought about having mine drilled to installed a rail under the barrel. At least for a light.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are handy, you can buy an entry level micro red dot with rotary wheel to select the power mode, and solder in one or a series of resistors on each setting to further dim the dot until it is NV safe.

Alternately you can buy a 30.5mm IR PASS filter for your pvs14 and use standard day optics, the filter cuts the light down to NV safe levels and cuts down on visible light exposure.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I use a Primary Arms Reflex on mine, with a TLR-3.  The battery life on the reflex ins't the greatest since there isn't an actual "off" switch, but for $90, it is definitely worth the price.  

I just recently acquired a PVS-14, so I haven't had the chance to try out the sight through my NV, but I would assume that it would be doable.  Obviously, the white light won't be used, but you could always throw a TLR-IR on there.

Sorry, but the only pic I have of the gun in it's current state is in a holster.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Doing some more reading it seems that the CT 1911 IR laser grips will fit the 22/45s with removable grip panels with little slide modification for the bolt release lever.

ETA: I want to stay away from using a under barrel rail mounted laser to avoid sight offset issues. I wouldn't care on a normal handgun but I'd like to be able to make some precise shots with this one and not have to worry about poi shift at different ranges. I think the CT would allieviate at least some of that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
snip
View Quote

info on the lens on the CT laser?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#17]
https://tnvc.com/shop/laser-neutral-density-filter/
One of these jb welded on
This Brings down bloom to a small dot for pistol ranges.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I have been looking at a used RMR for a little over $350

but would rather spend $150 max for my 22/45

I found a nice IR laser for around $150 but would rather have a tritium dot sight.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I am fortunate to have a silencer tube that is 1" dia. on my 22.
I put on one of the scope-mounatble rings with a short picatinny rail foot on it. I paid $16 or $20 apiece for a few of the Goldberg 1" piggyback accessory rails. They fit mt shotgun tubes as well.
On my 22 I used that to mount a CT IR laser and it works great. I only wish the CT had a flat face that made it easy to attenuate the beam with a filter, but it doesn't. For close shooting, I prefer a very dim, fine spot, even if it is hard to find.
On the shotguns I use these to mount lights.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#20]
IR CT laser grips are avail for 1911s. Just sold mine because I never found a sweet 22/45 deal.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Will have try the lowest brightness setting on my lll with my work PVS14 to see how much bloom it creates.  Cruising in the desert for coyotes, this sits in my lap or door.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Will have try the lowest brightness setting on my lll with my work PVS14 to see how much bloom it creates.  Cruising in the desert for coyotes, this sits in my lap or door.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/556hollowtip/Mobile%20Uploads/20150302_232907.jpghttp://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss256/556hollowtip/Mobile%20Uploads/20150302_233015.jpg
View Quote

Slap on one of the 30 or 30.5mm 720nm IR bypass filters to the objective lens of the 14 and be done with it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a ruger 22/45 that I mounted a CT IR laser on the top rail.   I also have a burris sight and it does not interfere with the red dot from the burris.    I don't have a lower rail.   Mounted on top, I sight it in at 25 yards.  It's dead on.   I'll try to post a pic later tonight.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:35:30 AM EDT
[#24]

No problems seeing the red dot on the Burris.  I was surprised but it works
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top