Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2015 4:04:24 AM EDT
So, I am considering going away with the bayonet style for my dual Pitbull setup and I am thinking: what do I need to convert my Rhino II bayonet mount to a dovetail?

Thanks guys.

G.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:10:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So, I am considering going away with the bayonet style for my dual Pitbull setup and I am thinking: what do I need to convert my Rhino II bayonet mount to a dovetail?

Thanks guys.

G.
View Quote

They make adapters but my best advice is to get a dovetail mount. Adapters many times suck IMHO. Get the right mount.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:27:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They make adapters but my best advice is to get a dovetail mount. Adapters many times suck IMHO. Get the right mount.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

G.

Ic, so, any particular mount you think might be decent?

G.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 4:49:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

G.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

G.

G.

What mount do you have ?

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:02:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Rhino II mount, with a bayonet; all my gear uses bayonet mounts... but I am trying to get rid of the bayonet and go to the "less wobbly" dovetail.

G.

Quoted:

What mount do you have ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.

G.

G.

What mount do you have ?

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Go to tnvc and order the dovetail mount for the AKA2. Remove one of the roll pins on the bottom of the rhino 2 and it slides right on.
That's what I did.

Here's a link for ya. linky
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I did the same thing. The AKA2 dovetail mount works without any issues on the Rhino II.

To remove the roll pin, stick the shank of an appropriately sized drill bit (3/64 or #55 depending on what fits) into the bore of the roll pin. Clamp the proud end of the pin with the drill bit inserted into a tool-maker's vice (or similar with ground jaws to get a nice grab on the pin/bit). From there, just leverage the mount upward to pull the pin. I place several layers of thick packing tape on the top of the vice to protect the mount.

You'll smash the existing roll pin a bit but it's easy to find a replacement. The size is 3/32" OD X 1/4" L. PM me and I can send you one. I had to buy a pack of 100 Spirol CLD0940250MBKs to replace the pin; I have plenty of extras.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, thats exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you guys... I thought the pin was a hex set screw?

G.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want to be able to swap back and forth between the bayonet and dovetail on the Rhino II, just remove the REAR roll pin and leave it out.

Be advised that using the AKA2 dovetail adapter on the Rhino II is somewhat of a suboptimal solution because the front of the Rhino II is not cut out like the AKA2, so one must slide the adapter fully forward to access the release button.

AKA2's come up for sale used in the EE and elsewhere for reasonable prices fairly often, and it is a better mount IMHO, so you might want to consider just buying one of those instead of just the dovetail adapter.

ETA - One could also cut out the front of the Rhino II if sliding the device forward whenever you want to remove it is a PITA to you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice, very nice!

The release button issue doesn't look like something I can't fix with my dremel tool... :)

but that other  mount looks really nice too... maybe I should just get that and sell my rhino 2...

G.

Quoted:
If you want to be able to swap back and forth between the bayonet and dovetail on the Rhino II, just remove the REAR roll pin and leave it out.

Be advised that using the AKA2 dovetail adapter on the Rhino II is somewhat of a suboptimal solution because the front of the Rhino II is not cut out like the AKA2, so one must slide the adapter fully forward to access the release button.

<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/murderman_/media/IMG_1332resize_zps6b2f25fa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b42/murderman_/IMG_1332resize_zps6b2f25fa.jpg</a>

AKA2's come up for sale used in the EE and elsewhere for reasonable prices fairly often, and it is a better mount IMHO, so you might want to consider just buying one of those instead of just the dovetail adapter.

ETA - One could also cut out the front of the Rhino II if sliding the device forward whenever you want to remove it is a PITA to you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#10]
There are a couple of key differences between the Rhino II and the AKA2:
-The R2 is FTO, and the AKA2 is push button.  I use an INVG [FTO] on my helmets, but prefer the AKA2 on the Nightcap.
-The pitch control is on the left for the R2, and the right for the AKA2.  I generally prefer the left, but "tolerate" it on the AKA2.
-The height adjustment is a lever on the R2, and a thumbscrew on the AKA2.  One is quicker, the other is arguably more precise.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There are a couple of key differences between the Rhino II and the AKA2:
-The R2 is FTO, and the AKA2 is push button.  I use an INVG [FTO] on my helmets, but prefer the AKA2 on the Nightcap.
-The pitch control is on the left for the R2, and the right for the AKA2.  I generally prefer the left, but "tolerate" it on the AKA2.
-The height adjustment is a lever on the R2, and a thumbscrew on the AKA2.  One is quicker, the other is arguably more precise.
View Quote

Very nice... I didn't know it had a push button to lift up... truth is I am not digging the FTO flip-up feature at all... (I snapped my finger once or twice...and I hate grabbing onto my NV devices just to "move it out of the way") Before the Rhino II, I was used to the ATN skullcrusher which has a push button and I much prefer that... so I might jump ships and get the AKA2...

G.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#12]
If you prefer push button, then the AKA2 or the G24 would be the best choices.  The TATM is also push button, but the AKA2 is arguably a more refined updated version.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you prefer push button, then the AKA2 or the G24 would be the best choices.  The TATM is also push button, but the AKA2 is arguably a more refined updated version.
View Quote

Thanks! I'll look into that instead of just the adapter...

G.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top