Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2015 11:36:17 PM EDT
I just purchased a PVS-7A from a friend for a hundo.
This is my first experience with NV
I have the normal problem like a corroded battery tray and door wont stay shut eye cups missing and no useable  mounts available.
I hot wired it to see if it worked and it works great I was wondering if it would be worth it to replace the housing or if it is possible to change it to the newer housing $140 for a wired housing  and maybe later switch out the gen2 tube if I ever come across a better tube?  Thanks in advance Tim
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:03:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just purchased a PVS-7A from a friend for a hundo.
This is my first experience with NV
I have the normal problem like a corroded battery tray and door wont stay shut eye cups missing and no useable  mounts available.
I hot wired it to see if it worked and it works great I was wondering if it would be worth it to replace the housing or if it is possible to change it to the newer housing $140 for a wired housing  and maybe later switch out the gen2 tube if I ever come across a better tube?  Thanks in advance Tim
View Quote

Mounts are not really an issue as it is just a dovetail. Can easily find you a mount. I can tell you how to adapt 14 eye cups to work on it. What I can't fix without time and some luck is the battery tray and door gasket. I am sure with taking it down I could solder in contacts and fix it. Labor would exceed what it is worth.

Your best option is to salvage the tube and sell the housing for parts. Look for a 7B or 7D housing used. Good scopes when all is working but parts are next to impossible to find. I like the 7A/7C but the housing is best for someone who can work on them. Guy's will want the parts but won't pay much for them.

ETA: I need to see pics of your tube as some of the older ones won't work with a 7B or 7D housing. Has to do with how the power contacts are setup on the tube. Some examples of tubes I own below that are proprietary. Many forget the PVS-7 started life as a Gen 2 scope.

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can fix the battery tray door and I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to, should be pretty simple in every case I've seen. Mounts are readily available (pvs-18 style, Wicox, norotos etc make helmet mounts). And you can get the eyecups for like 20 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Dino, it looks like the one on the left same part#. Thanks Tim
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah Litton Gen2 tube, won't easily got into a pvs-7b housing. You can try modding the tube to work, but every instance I've seen of that was ghetto as hell.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah Litton Gen2 tube, won't easily got into a pvs-7b housing. You can try modding the tube to work, but every instance I've seen of that was ghetto as hell.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, it can be done and works but remember you are dealing with a system not worth a ton. Don't invest too much time and money here. Fun project if you like to work on older gear. The battery trays can be fixed as Harlikwin said. I have seen some so badly corroded from years of leaving dead batteries in it was a chore. I had to take the entire scope apart to clean out all the crap. The tray was in poor shape but I got it back to working.

Common problems with scope are the on/off switch, tray and people break the objective lens detente because they think it just unscrews like a PVS-7B/D. I have one and like mine but they are not as common as the 7B/D and parts are harder to find.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This, it can be done and works but remember you are dealing with a system not worth a ton. Don't invest too much time and money here. Fun project if you like to work on older gear. The battery trays can be fixed as Harlikwin said. I have seen some so badly corroded from years of leaving dead batteries in it was a chore. I had to take the entire scope apart to clean out all the crap. The tray was in poor shape but I got it back to working.

Common problems with scope are the on/off switch, tray and people break the objective lens detente because they think it just unscrews like a PVS-7B/D. I have one and like mine but they are not as common as the 7B/D and parts are harder to find.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yay mine...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top