Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2015 9:25:34 PM EDT
Alright, so I think I've got most of my shit lined up for what I want to do, but I do have a few questions.  I have a little bit of experience with head mounted PVS-14s and weapon mounted IR LAMs so I'm sort of drawing on that experience and going from there.

For starters, here's where I'm planning on going:

- TNVC PVS-14 (Unsure on which tube.)
- Helmet???
- Wilcox L4 G24
- ATPIAL-C

So, to my questions.  First off, my tube choices.

I understand I have 2 options,  ITT or L3.  The ITT being a thinner filmed unit which is brighter but less recoil resistant, the L3 having a thicker film and more recoil resistant.  I'm not planning on weapon mounting at all, so the ITT seems like the obvious choice, but I'm wondering if the L3 may be more impact or shock resistant as well.

So, will the L3 prove to be more durable under harsher use when compared with the ITT?  Or is this something I shouldn't be concerned with?

My other question pertains to the helmet.  I'm sort of lost here in all the choices.

I've seen complaints of the cheaper bump helmets with molded in NVG mounts not withstanding abuse very well, so I'm staying away from those.  That takes me up to the next level of bump helmets, which appear to all be carbon fiber shell.  They run right around $500.

The main one I'm looking at is this Team Wendy Bump helmet.

Now, this helmet is pretty close to $500, and while I dont really have a practical need for a ballistic helmet, it's fast approaching the price of some ballistic helmets I've seen, so it's got me wondering if I should add a $100 and go with a ballistic option.

This is the ballistic helmet I was looking at.

Is this ballistic helmet any good?  Is it something I should spend the extra few bucks on?  I know for sure I'm not looking to spend $1,000 on an Ops Core or Team Wendy ballistic helmet so that's out of the question.

Any and all help is appreciated guys!
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Short answer is I would get the L3 Omni VIII tube as I feel L3 is making the better tube as of late. While ITT still makes a great tube I think L3 is beating them from the tubes I have seen. I have seen a good many.

If you don't need noggin protection I like the Nightcap. Stable and you can stuff it in your back pocket. I prefer the TW for bump helmets as it feels more comfortable. The Opscore is nice as well and this boils down to personal taste. Some have had issue with the Opscore molded in shroud style helmet. I prefer a helmet where I can supply the shroud of my choosing.

ETA: I would stay clear of a ballistic helmet unless you need that protection. They are hot, heavy and did I say they were heavy ?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Short answer is I would get the L3 Omni VIII tube as I feel L3 is making the better tube as of late. While ITT still makes a great tube I think L3 is beating them from the tubes I have seen. I have seen a good many.

If you don't need noggin protection I like the Nightcap. Stable and you can stuff it in your back pocket. I prefer the TW for bump helmets as it feels more comfortable. The Opscore is nice as well and this boils down to personal taste. Some have had issue with the Opscore molded in shroud style helmet. I prefer a helmet where I can supply the shroud of my choosing.

ETA: I would stay clear of a ballistic helmet unless you need that protection. They are hot, heavy and did I say they were heavy ?
View Quote

Yeah, I'm used to the suck of ballistic helmets.  I have an issued ACH for work.  I was hoping some of the more cut away models like the one I linked may prove a little more bearable.  

As to the L3 tube info, thanks.  I was not aware of that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with the concept of sticking with "bump" versus "ballistic" unless you have a genuine need for the latter.  As far as the moulded in shrouds, it is my opinion that the VERY LIMITED report of failure by one particular guy has been grossly exaggerated and broadcast all over the intraweb without proper root cause analysis.  That said, the TW does provide a better fit, and the aluminum insert seems a better solution.  The exception is that if you want to run OTH comms headset or ear pro, they do not work at all well with TW, and OC is the better choice in that case because the headstrap can be run between the suspension and the shell.

As far as mounts, that is highly subjective and personal preference, and volumes have been previously written by several folks here including me.  Might I ask as to why you have selected the G24?  Not suggesting that it isn't the best mount for you, just curious what you like about it versus the other options.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 11:04:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I agree with the concept of sticking with "bump" versus "ballistic" unless you have a genuine need for the latter.  As far as the moulded in shrouds, it is my opinion that the VERY LIMITED report of failure by one particular guy has been grossly exaggerated and broadcast all over the intraweb without proper root cause analysis.  That said, the TW does provide a better fit, and the aluminum insert seems a better solution.  The exception is that if you want to run OTH comms headset or ear pro, they do not work at all well with TW, and OC is the better choice in that case because the headstrap can be run between the suspension and the shell.

As far as mounts, that is highly subjective and personal preference, and volumes have been previously written by several folks here including me.  Might I ask as to why you have selected the G24?  Not suggesting that it isn't the best mount for you, just curious what you like about it versus the other options.
View Quote

Only thing I don't like about the G24 is the small wing nut adjustment for the pivot. They can be very stiff and hard to adjust especially with gloves on. As far as the molded shroud ? My Opscore helmet never had any issues. And I only recall the one guy who had his break like three times. So I would agree with you unless someone else can show a common failure.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok, I was not aware the molded in mount failures were so limited, guess that's the problem with the internet, one single issue can be amplified and repeated to make it seem worse.

As to the Team Wendy ear pro issue, I'm a little lacking in the acronym department and proper terminology for ear pro mounting.  Are you saying it's hard to wear ear pro with the standard headband with the TW helmets?  My plan was to get some of the rail adaptors and mount my MSA Sordins to the on board rail systems on the helmet.

ETA:  I think I see what you're saying now.  The Ops Core suspension system is better suited to using ear pro in their stock form with the headband than the TW offerings.

As for the L4 G24, it's the only mount that I've had my hands on other than the standard USGI Rhino mount.  I've used the Rhino and standard J Arm for work and all I can say is it has left me wanting for quite a few things.   Adjustability for one, which the Wilcox seems to have.  I've also seen that the dovetail interface alleviates a lot of the sloppiness in the standard USGI bayonet system.

Is there something wrong with the L4 G24 that I missed?  Should I be looking at something else?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:36:30 AM EDT
[#6]
The G-24 is a good mount. Wilcox makes great mounts and stand behind them. I just wish the pivot knob was a little bigger. Small bitch but the mount is solid and works great. I use a TATM and AKA2 sometimes but mounts are personal and guys like different ones. There really is no terrible mount except I hated the original Rhino. The Rhino II is much improved and a great mount for someone on a budget.

I just prefer the screw type vertical adjustment and the larger knob for pivot adjustment. A lot of this is what you get used to using. The G-24 is a fine mount just not my cup of tea. Both Norotos and Wilcox make very nice mounts. I just got used to the Norotos style and like them. Norotos makes the TATM and AKA2 while Wilcox makes the G-24. Murderman has a thread on all the different mounts. I am sure he will link you to it so you can make your own choice. None are bad mounts per say. Just different features that some like and some don't.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The G-24 is a good mount. Wilcox makes great mounts and stand behind them. I just wish the pivot knob was a little bigger. Small bitch but the mount is solid and works great. I use a TATUM and AKA2 sometimes but mounts are personal and guys like different ones. There really is no terrible mount except I hated the original Rhino. The Rhino II is much improved and a great mount for someone on a budget.

I just prefer the screw type vertical adjustment and the larger knob for pivot adjustment. A lot of this is what you get used to using. The G-24 is a fine mount just not my cup of tea. Both Norotos and Wilcox make very nice mounts. I just got used to the Norotos style and like them. Norotos makes the TATM and AKA2 while Wilcox makes the G-24. Murderman has a thread on all the different mounts. I am sure he will link you to it so you can make your own choice. None are bad mounts per say. Just different features that some like and some don't.
View Quote

Ahh thanks for the heads up on that thread.  I'll be honest, I haven't really researched many mounts outside a few Wilcox options, so Norotos is probably a company I should at least take a look at.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:51:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This cannot be stated enough, the specs being posted from recent L3 tubes are fantastic. they really put my ITT to shame, if I could do it over, I would have gone with an L3.

As for mounts, if all you realistically are going to buy is a single 14, then look at the INVG, the flip to side feature is hard to beat. If for one second you think you may want dual tubes in the future, then look at the others like AKA2, G24 etc. Saves the trouble of having to get a second mount down the road. But wait a bit, that new Norotos Low-Sto looks really good & might be a good inbetween of the INVG & AKA2, smaller foot print when stowed & can be useful with dual tubes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:14:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ahh thanks for the heads up on that thread.  I'll be honest, I haven't really researched many mounts outside a few Wilcox options, so Norotos is probably a company I should at least take a look at.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The G-24 is a good mount. Wilcox makes great mounts and stand behind them. I just wish the pivot knob was a little bigger. Small bitch but the mount is solid and works great. I use a TATUM and AKA2 sometimes but mounts are personal and guys like different ones. There really is no terrible mount except I hated the original Rhino. The Rhino II is much improved and a great mount for someone on a budget.

You really need to do your homework on mounts because they are not cheap and you don't want to be stuck with something you don't like. I think mounts are the most confusing aspect for new night vision guys. I get confused because so many types are available. If you ask 10 guys here what mount they like you could very well get 10 different answers. This is a really an area you want to educate yourself in before committing to your purchase. You need to know if you are going with the bayonet or dovetail style interface. My AKA2 has a slide for both. I also have the TATM in both styles. I have lots of mounts but most of my experience is with the Norotos stuff. The TNVC website is a great place to go through many mounts and learn what each one does.

As I said Murderman has a very informative thread on this as well. His thread really should be stickied as we go through the mount questions a few times every week.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This cannot be stated enough, the specs being posted from recent L3 tubes are fantastic. they really put my ITT to shame, if I could do it over, I would have gone with an L3.

As for mounts, if all you realistically are going to buy is a single 14, then look at the INVG, the flip to side feature is hard to beat. If for one second you think you may want dual tubes in the future, then look at the others like AKA2, G24 etc. Saves the trouble of having to get a second mount down the road. But wait a bit, that new Norotos Low-Sto looks really good & might be a good inbetween of the INVG & AKA2, smaller foot print when stowed & can be useful with dual tubes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dual tubes are definitely in my future.  How far into the future I can't say, but they're definitely on the table.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread really covers a plethora of topics....

The tubes question seems to have been addressed by folks much more knowledgeable than me on that aspect.

Regarding helmets...  

It sound like you figured out that OTH stands for Over-The-Head versus BTH [Behind-The-Head] or rail-mounted swing-ups [no common acronym that I know of, but let's try RMSU for this thread].    

RMSU should work equally well [or poorly, depending on one's preference] with either the TW or OC by themselves.  The downsides are that they take up rail space, and don't seem to be particularly QD.  The advantage would seem to go to TW, since they also have a "sideburn" rail to which illuminators can be mounted in conjunction with muffs.

I prefer OTH for a few reasons:
-I don't use them all the time, so the weight can be eliminated for times when ear pro / comms is not needed such as hot summer nights at the range shooting only suppressed, or when using my helmet for non-noisy activities such as riding my quad or bicycle.
-RMSU doesn't seem to provide quite as good a seal on the ears, particularly if they are left in the stowed position for extended periods of time.
-My preferred devices are Tactical Command Industries Liberator II [TCI Lib II], and not only am I not inclined to "hack" them up for RMSU, but I also use them without the helmet such as in light aircraft, un-suppressed day ranges, etc.
-I every once in a while use my TCIs with my MICH that was designed for OTH.

In a nutshell, mounting the headset "pseudo-permanently" to the helmet just doesn't work well for me even though I have a couple of each, because I use them both independently.  Sure, I could setup one rig that way, but that would be $1k+ for the types that I use, unless I wanted to erode redundancy and flexibility.

The reason why the OC works better for OTH is because the suspension can be quickly disconnected / re-connected from the shell at the front via the keyhole slots, thus allowing the headband to be placed between the suspension and the shell.  In such case, the side pads are removed, and the top pads are located for appropriate clearance.

With the TW, the suspension and shell require tools to separate.  I am not sure there is even enough clearance between the suspension and the shell, since I have never actually tried it.  Some folks might suggest simply wearing the helmet over the headset, but that would entirely destroy the enhanced comfort and stability of the TW.

I have seen pics of folks running BTH between the suspension and the head, but I and two other members here tried that concept, and the "headband" going across the back interferes with the nape strap, again eroding both comfort and stability.  BTH also does not provide the same level of ear seal for some head shapes as OTH.

In a nutshell, if you want to run muffs with TW, they will need to be RMSU, but if you want to run them with an OC, they can be either RMSU or OTH.   Now do you see why I "introduced" that new acronym for this thread?  

One other thing about the TW Carbon Fiber [CF]...  It looks like the top of the suspension is some form of polymer, but I am not sure because I have never tried one.  If that is the case, it would seem like that could get pretty warm on the top of the noggin, even with all of the perforations....I live in SE TX, and the OP lives in FL.  If someone could confirm, that would be most appreciated.

I need to take a break just now, but will compile some consolidated thoughts on mounts in another post.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This thread really covers a plethora of topics....

The tubes question seems to have been addressed by folks much more knowledgeable than me on that aspect.

Regarding helmets...  

It sound like you figured out that OTH stands for Over-The-Head versus BTH [Behind-The-Head] or rail-mounted swing-ups [no common acronym that I know of, but let's try RMSU for this thread].    

RMSU should work equally well [or poorly, depending on one's preference] with either the TW or OC by themselves.  The downsides are that they take up rail space, and don't seem to be particularly QD.  The advantage would seem to go to TW, since they also have a "sideburn" rail to which illuminators can be mounted in conjunction with muffs.

I prefer OTH for a few reasons:
-I don't use them all the time, so the weight can be eliminated for times when ear pro / comms is not needed such as hot summer nights at the range shooting only suppressed, or when using my helmet for non-noisy activities such as riding my quad or bicycle.
-RMSU doesn't seem to provide quite as good a seal on the ears, particularly if they are left in the stowed position for extended periods of time.
-My preferred devices are Tactical Command Industries Liberator II [TCI Lib II], and not only am I not inclined to "hack" them up for RMSU, but I also use them without the helmet such as in light aircraft, un-suppressed day ranges, etc.
-I every once in a while use my TCIs with my MICH that was designed for OTH.

In a nutshell, mounting the headset "pseudo-permanently" to the helmet just doesn't work well for me even though I have a couple of each, because I use them both independently.  Sure, I could setup one rig that way, but that would be $1k+ for the types that I use, unless I wanted to erode redundancy and flexibility.

The reason why the OC works better for OTH is because the suspension can be quickly disconnected / re-connected from the shell at the front via the keyhole slots, thus allowing the headband to be placed between the suspension and the shell.  In such case, the side pads are removed, and the top pads are located for appropriate clearance.

With the TW, the suspension and shell require tools to separate.  I am not sure there is even enough clearance between the suspension and the shell, since I have never actually tried it.  Some folks might suggest simply wearing the helmet over the headset, but that would entirely destroy the enhanced comfort and stability of the TW.

I have seen pics of folks running BTH between the suspension and the head, but I and two other members here tried that concept, and the "headband" going across the back interferes with the nape strap, again eroding both comfort and stability.  BTH also does not provide the same level of ear seal for some head shapes as OTH.

In a nutshell, if you want to run muffs with TW, they will need to be RMSU, but if you want to run them with an OC, they can be either RMSU or OTH.   Now do you see why I "introduced" that new acronym for this thread?  

One other thing about the TW Carbon Fiber [CF]...  It looks like the top of the suspension is some form of polymer, but I am not sure because I have never tried one.  If that is the case, it would seem like that could get pretty warm on the top of the noggin, even with all of the perforations....I live in SE TX, and the OP lives in FL.  If someone could confirm, that would be most appreciated.

I need to take a break just now, but will compile some consolidated thoughts on mounts in another post.
View Quote

Dude, seriously, thanks for the info.  That's quite a bit of great information, that's even more useable now that I'm caught up on the acronyms.  

Looks like, as with most things, I should probably do a little more research into helmets and the mount as well.  I like the idea of the Ops Core, but it seems there's a pretty large lead time/backorder on just about all of their models, which kind of sucks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I have about 6-7 helmets sitting in front of me just now, and just as many mounts, from the past several years of experimenting with ergonomics.  Fortunately, there are some really good options available today versus the DIY requirements of the past.  I am just trying to help folks understand the pros/cons of the various models/combinations, and am by no means endorsing one brand/model or another.  They are all a little different, and some subtle differences might be of particular importance to a given individual's application.

If you think that helmets are a daunting choice to make, the mounts are even more complicated due to the myriad of options and features!  I am updating some tables, and will post them up in the next day or so.

The most important thing to consider is not the helmet, nor the mount, not the headset, nor the NOD, but MOST IMPORTANTLY how they ALL work together as a system.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have about 6-7 helmets sitting in front of me just now, and just as many mounts, from the past several years of experimenting with ergonomics.  Fortunately, there are some really good options available today versus the DIY requirements of the past.  I am just trying to help folks understand the pros/cons of the various models/combinations, and am by no means endorsing one brand/model or another.  They are all a little different, and some subtle differences might be of particular importance to a given individual's application.

If you think that helmets are a daunting choice to make, the mounts are even more complicated due to the myriad of options and features!  I am updating some tables, and will post them up in the next day or so.

The most important thing to consider is not the helmet, nor the mount, not the headset, nor the NOD, but MOST IMPORTANTLY how they ALL work together as a system.
View Quote

Once again, thanks for all the information.  I've got a feeling this may end up being a trial and error endeavor for me (as it seems it was for you as well in the beginning), which I was hoping to partially alleviate with some research and questions.

I'm going to do a search for your old thread on mounts that was mentioned a little earlier.  Maybe help me rule out some options.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you tried a TW Exfil Ballistic?   Definitely not heavy!  Light as a feather, especially compared to the older PASGT helmets.

Had to get one... it's TheHorta's fault!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

...snip

I'm going to do a search for your old thread on mounts that was mentioned a little earlier.  Maybe help me rule out some options.  
View Quote

Please let me know if you find "it" because I am not sure which one Dino was alluding to, since there have been dozens of pretty good threads on the subject by multiple posters.  

What I am currently updating is a list of questions to ask yourself about features, and the corresponding table of features for the various mounts.  It should be done by sometime tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#17]
On the helmets, I see very little need for a $500 carbon fiber from either Ops Core or TW.

I'd look into either the TW Exfil LTP or the OC FAST BASE. A few weeks ago i would have recommended staying away from the BASE as I hate the OC Dial liner. But they'll be incorporating the LUX liner which looks to be a better solution. I like the ARC rails and I see them as being more versatile than the TW rails.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Please let me know if you find "it" because I am not sure which one Dino was alluding to, since there have been dozens of pretty good threads on the subject by multiple posters.  

What I am currently updating is a list of questions to ask yourself about features, and the corresponding table of features for the various mounts.  It should be done by sometime tomorrow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...snip

Well, I found this one, which appears to have a nice comparison chart listing the details of each mount side by side.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/421249_Selecting_a_helmet_mount_for_PVS_14___table_included.html
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, after reading that thread, doing a few comparisons, and looking at a couple of reviews, I'm really starting to like how the Norotos INVG looks more so than the L4 G24.

Force to overcome and the ability to rotate while stowed seem like worthwhile features over the Wilcox.  Unsure as to the placement of adjustment knobs, but as you guys have said, I'm going to assume control location is highly subjective.  

Now, with the INVG, will that mount to a standard OC or TW helmet with the molded in shroud, or will I need an adapter of some sort?  I only ask, because the description on TNVC for the INVG refers to some sort of screw in adapter.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I just got two L3 omni VIII and the G24.  Like them both and the L3 is awsome.   I like the G24.   Hooked it to a modarmory mount for dual setup.   If you think you are going dual later, get a setup for dual now.  Will save you money.    I could use the modarmory mount with a mono.   Good luck.   Team Wendy helmet is plenty enough

I didn't like the INVG for duel setup and sent it back.   Great for a mono
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just got two L3 omni VIII and the G24.  Like them both and the L3 is awsome.   I like the G24.   Hooked it to a modarmory mount for dual setup.   If you think you are going dual later, get a setup for dual now.  Will save you money.    I could use the modarmory mount with a mono.   Good luck.   Team Wendy helmet is plenty enough

I didn't like the INVG for duel setup and sent it back.   Great for a mono
View Quote

The way that I'm looking at it for now is, while I plan on dual tubes in the future, realistically it'll probably be at least a couple years.  At that point, I'm sure the next bigger and better thing will have come along in the NVG mounting department that I'll drop some money on.

Also, I'll probably keep the PVS-14 setup as a backup/setup for the GF to use once I get her into shooting at night.  Figure I can just keep the INVG, helmet, and all related PVS-14 accessories together at that point in time as a full kit for others to use.

Factoring all that together, I'm not overly concerned about having a mount that is better suited to a single tube setup.  

Thanks to everybody who has contributed to this thread thus far.  My understanding of alot of the NV accessories out there is a lot more clear now than it was before.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:10:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...snip

This one.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/226892_NIGHT_VISION_HELMET_RIGS___let_s_see_your_pics_.html
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:13:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Have you tried a TW Exfil Ballistic?   Definitely not heavy!  Light as a feather, especially compared to the older PASGT helmets.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tried the Opscore ballistic with the lux liner at Shot. It was fairly light and comfy. I just have no need for a ballistic so even a light one is useless to me unless zombies are out.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, after reading that thread, doing a few comparisons, and looking at a couple of reviews, I'm really starting to like how the Norotos INVG looks more so than the L4 G24.

Force to overcome and the ability to rotate while stowed seem like worthwhile features over the Wilcox.  Unsure as to the placement of adjustment knobs, but as you guys have said, I'm going to assume control location is highly subjective.  

Now, with the INVG, will that mount to a standard OC or TW helmet with the molded in shroud, or will I need an adapter of some sort?  I only ask, because the description on TNVC for the INVG refers to some sort of screw in adapter.
View Quote

As has been stated, the INVG isn't all that great with duals because one cannot make advantage of the rotation feature, and the device hangs out further in front than with the G24 when stowed.

When it comes to monoculars, many think that the INVG is king; it is what I run on my helmets since I don't run duals, albeit in a rather unusual configuration.  Like Dino, I prefer the thumbscrew height adjustment.

The early G24's had a big design problem IMHO in that the raise/lower push button was right next to the mount release button, and inadvertent release wasn't uncommon.  Apparently others, including Wilcox, concurred because the newer ones have the engage/release flipped to put the release on the opposite side as the raise lower.  The newer G24's are a dandy mount, I just prefer others.

As far as interfacing with OC or TW, there are two types of mount to helmet interfaces, so-called "bracket" and "shroud".  The bracket-type is by far more common, and that includes OC and TW helmets as well as USGI stuff, as well as both the INVG and G24.  

The shroud-type is a Norotos proprietary design, and is essentially limited to their corresponding proprietary design 1-hole and 3-hole shrouds; pretty much everything else uses the bracket-type interface....I know that sounds confusing.  I don't see much reason to use the Norotos proprietary design.

The piece on the back of Norotos mounts, including the INVG, AKA2, and both TATMs can be removed and swapped for either type.  The bracket also has three sets of mounting holes to provide for "gross" height adjustment, since "fine" height adjustment is accomplished via the thumbscrew.  The second pics in these links to TNVC's site should help this make more sense:

bracket type used on most everything

Norotos proprietary shroud type

If you stick withe either the G24 or INVG, and the TW or OC, they will work together unless you buy a used INVG [which they never seem to come up for sale], and the previous owner has converted it for some reason.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:09:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

As has been stated, the INVG isn't all that great with duals because one cannot make advantage of the rotation feature, and the device hangs out further in front than with the G24 when stowed.

When it comes to monoculars, many think that the INVG is king; it is what I run on my helmets since I don't run duals, albeit in a rather unusual configuration.  Like Dino, I prefer the thumbscrew height adjustment.

The early G24's had a big design problem IMHO in that the raise/lower push button was right next to the mount release button, and inadvertent release wasn't uncommon.  Apparently others, including Wilcox, concurred because the newer ones have the engage/release flipped to put the release on the opposite side as the raise lower.  The newer G24's are a dandy mount, I just prefer others.

As far as interfacing with OC or TW, there are two types of mount to helmet interfaces, so-called "bracket" and "shroud".  The bracket-type is by far more common, and that includes OC and TW helmets as well as USGI stuff, as well as both the INVG and G24.  

The shroud-type is a Norotos proprietary design, and is essentially limited to their corresponding proprietary design 1-hole and 3-hole shrouds; pretty much everything else uses the bracket-type interface....I know that sounds confusing.  I don't see much reason to use the Norotos proprietary design.

The piece on the back of Norotos mounts, including the INVG, AKA2, and both TATMs can be removed and swapped for either type.  The bracket also has three sets of mounting holes to provide for "gross" height adjustment, since "fine" height adjustment is accomplished via the thumbscrew.  The second pics in these links to TNVC's site should help this make more sense:

If you stick withe either the G24 or INVG, and the TW or OC, they will work together unless you buy a used INVG [which they never seem to come up for sale], and the previous owner has converted it for some reason.

Hope this helps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope this helps.

Yep, that helped immensely.  Thanks for all the help murderman, as well as everybody else.  I've definitely got a bit firmer grasp on some of the accessories, and feel that my decisions are at least based onn some education, rather than some shots in the dark.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#26]
On the subject of OTH earpro/comms with a helmet, the TW LTP bump helmet has a different suspension system than the other TW helmets. It uses removable pads that can be moved around or completely removed to accommodate headsets. I use mine with Howard Leight Impact sports. I just remove the middle pad and there is a channel where the headband fits nicely. When not using the muffs, the pad just goes right back in. Super quick and easy.

Also, I can only compare the ops core fast bump and the TW LTP bump, but the TW is more comfortable in my opinion. Not sure about the new ops core offerings mentioned earlier in this thread, but I am super pleased with mine so far.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I told you it wasn't going to take long.  

Just to talk mounts a little bit more - here's something I posted in another mounts thread:

Just to add a little bit to this - the "premium" mounts are all... well, premium mounts, they're all, IMHO, vast improvements over the legacy Rhino - and all will offer more adjustability than the legacy mount, and probably feel a lot more sturdy, as well. As for which one to choose - in a lot of ways, it's the question of which features you're looking for and/or which ones are most important to you that will really make the difference between them - to me, the "secondary considerations" that murderman is talking about can help guide your decision.

The biggest and most obvious difference is push button versus force-to-overcome.

Force-to-overcome is exactly what it sounds like, and what the legacy mount uses - you just push up on it with enough force to overcome the locking mechanism, and it moves and locks into place at the other end of its travel - this has several advantages in terms of preventing breakage, simplicity of controls, and manual of "arms." That being said, personally, I prefer push-button stowage and deployment, which tends to be more rigid when deployed, and doesn't require much force at all to move as long as the button control is depressed.

The Legacy Rhino, RHNO II, INVG, and G11 are all FTO, while the TATM, AKA2, and G24 are all push button mounts.

Another issue is the pitch adjustment - namely - and this will be a personal preference issue for the most part - which side would you prefer to have it on, i.e. which hand would you use to adjust the pitch if you had your choice? This might depend on whether you're left or right handed and/or if you would prefer to adjust with your support hand or strong hand. Personally, being a righty, I prefer a right side adjustment so that I can adjust with my strong hand, and get a more precise adjustment - it's also one of the adjustments I find myself using most frequently "in the field" compared to the other adjustments, as the proper pitch can vary depending on position - more so, IMHO, than elevation or eye relief.

The TATM, AKA2, and G24 all have right side pitch adjustment, while the Legacy Rhino, RHNO II, INVG, and G11 have them on the left.

Another minor note about the pitch adjustments - Norotos tends to use nice, big, wide, flat paddles for their pitch adjustments, versus the much smaller "wingnut" of the Wilcox versions.

Those are the two real big ones to me because they're the ones I tend to use most often - but there are also a couple of other considerations in terms of human engineering -

Elevation Adjustment - the two major types are what I like to call "on the fly" and the Norotos-style screw adjustment - in the case of the "on the fly" elevation adjustment, a big lever is used to release the mount, and the mount can be slid up and down to set the desired elevation, while the TATM, INVG, and AKA2 feature a screw that can be used to precisely dial in the desired elevation, but cannot be adjusted quite as quickly.

Eye Relief Adjustment - infinite adjustment versus notches, and adjustment method - once again, personal preference, but the RHNO II and AKA2 allow for "infinite" adjustment along their track, while all the rest feature a set number of notches placed at intervals where the eye relief can be set to. The Legacy Rhino, TATM, and INVG feature a spring loaded lever that is depressed to move the device, while the AKA2 and RHNO II use a rotating lever, and both Wilcox mounts need to be "pinched" from both sides.

Mount and Device Release - the Wilcox mounts use a crossbar release - and at least the earlier G24s were depressed on the same side as the push button stow/deploy (left) to release the mount - a point which murderman has been vociferous in his objections to,  but I understand that newer production ones have reversed this. Not sure about the G11. On the Norotos mounts a spring loaded bar moving from right to left (assuming you're using the AKA2 shroud interface with the TATM). The device release is slightly different on each mount as well.

Finally - some of the mounts each have their own "special features" and different profiles when stowed - the INVG, as has been mentioned, has the swivel, the AKA2 has an intermediate locked position, while the G24 has a breakaway feature.

In the end, it's all personal preference, but there are some things you can think about when trying to select which "premium" mount to spend the not insignificant amount of money on. The ideal solution, of course, would be to try them all out and take them out for a couple nights and run 'em through their paces, but it's not always feasible to do.
View Quote

Which one is "best" is all highly personal and subjective, though, as you know, I've settled on the G24 for my purposes.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Just to talk mounts a little bit more - here's something I posted in another mounts thread:

Which one is "best" is all highly personal and subjective, though, as you know, I've settled on the G24 for my purposes.  

~Augee
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just to add a little bit to this - the "premium" mounts are all... well, premium mounts, they're all, IMHO, vast improvements over the legacy Rhino - and all will offer more adjustability than the legacy mount, and probably feel a lot more sturdy, as well. As for which one to choose - in a lot of ways, it's the question of which features you're looking for and/or which ones are most important to you that will really make the difference between them - to me, the "secondary considerations" that murderman is talking about can help guide your decision.

The biggest and most obvious difference is push button versus force-to-overcome.

Force-to-overcome is exactly what it sounds like, and what the legacy mount uses - you just push up on it with enough force to overcome the locking mechanism, and it moves and locks into place at the other end of its travel - this has several advantages in terms of preventing breakage, simplicity of controls, and manual of "arms." That being said, personally, I prefer push-button stowage and deployment, which tends to be more rigid when deployed, and doesn't require much force at all to move as long as the button control is depressed.

The Legacy Rhino, RHNO II, INVG, and G11 are all FTO, while the TATM, AKA2, and G24 are all push button mounts.

Another issue is the pitch adjustment - namely - and this will be a personal preference issue for the most part - which side would you prefer to have it on, i.e. which hand would you use to adjust the pitch if you had your choice? This might depend on whether you're left or right handed and/or if you would prefer to adjust with your support hand or strong hand. Personally, being a righty, I prefer a right side adjustment so that I can adjust with my strong hand, and get a more precise adjustment - it's also one of the adjustments I find myself using most frequently "in the field" compared to the other adjustments, as the proper pitch can vary depending on position - more so, IMHO, than elevation or eye relief.

The TATM, AKA2, and G24 all have right side pitch adjustment, while the Legacy Rhino, RHNO II, INVG, and G11 have them on the left.

Another minor note about the pitch adjustments - Norotos tends to use nice, big, wide, flat paddles for their pitch adjustments, versus the much smaller "wingnut" of the Wilcox versions.

Those are the two real big ones to me because they're the ones I tend to use most often - but there are also a couple of other considerations in terms of human engineering -

Elevation Adjustment - the two major types are what I like to call "on the fly" and the Norotos-style screw adjustment - in the case of the "on the fly" elevation adjustment, a big lever is used to release the mount, and the mount can be slid up and down to set the desired elevation, while the TATM, INVG, and AKA2 feature a screw that can be used to precisely dial in the desired elevation, but cannot be adjusted quite as quickly.

Eye Relief Adjustment - infinite adjustment versus notches, and adjustment method - once again, personal preference, but the RHNO II and AKA2 allow for "infinite" adjustment along their track, while all the rest feature a set number of notches placed at intervals where the eye relief can be set to. The Legacy Rhino, TATM, and INVG feature a spring loaded lever that is depressed to move the device, while the AKA2 and RHNO II use a rotating lever, and both Wilcox mounts need to be "pinched" from both sides.

Mount and Device Release - the Wilcox mounts use a crossbar release - and at least the earlier G24s were depressed on the same side as the push button stow/deploy (left) to release the mount - a point which murderman has been vociferous in his objections to,  but I understand that newer production ones have reversed this. Not sure about the G11. On the Norotos mounts a spring loaded bar moving from right to left (assuming you're using the AKA2 shroud interface with the TATM). The device release is slightly different on each mount as well.

Finally - some of the mounts each have their own "special features" and different profiles when stowed - the INVG, as has been mentioned, has the swivel, the AKA2 has an intermediate locked position, while the G24 has a breakaway feature.

In the end, it's all personal preference, but there are some things you can think about when trying to select which "premium" mount to spend the not insignificant amount of money on. The ideal solution, of course, would be to try them all out and take them out for a couple nights and run 'em through their paces, but it's not always feasible to do.

~Augee

You did tell me that.  

I was back and forth between NV and a semi auto 16" .308 build.  I went back and forth, back and forth......  I actually drew up a pro vs. con spreadsheet while at work the one night, ultimately settling on NV being of better usage for me at this point in time.

Thanks for the post though, I'm still feeling a little bit overwhelmed with all the options in the mount category.  Hopefully I'll get this figured out, but I've got a month or two before I make the plunge for the mount, I should be able to get myself settled into a choice by then.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#29]
When I placed my order a couple weeks ago (hasn't shipped yet), TNVC recommended the G11 mount. I'm seriously considering calling and replacing the G11 with a G24, but what J arm are yall using with the G24, for the dovetail interface?
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
When I placed my order a couple weeks ago (hasn't shipped yet), TNVC recommended the G11 mount. I'm seriously considering calling and replacing the G11 with a G24, but what J arm are yall using with the G24, for the dovetail interface?
View Quote

The G11 is a great mount if you use the standard J arm. It can be adjusted to take the wobble out of the bayonet hook up. If using a G24 I would get the Wilcox PVS-14 J arm. I use a Norotos Dual Dovetail but I am not sure how that works with a G24. Works great on Norotos mounts. I would imagine it would work fine but others here will know. I am not sure of the in/out travel of a G24 and if it will work well with a Norotos DD.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The G11 is a great mount if you use the standard J arm. It can be adjusted to take the wobble out of the bayonet hook up. If using a G24 I would get the Wilcox PVS-14 J arm. I use a Norotos Dual Dovetail but I am not sure how that works with a G24. Works great on Norotos mounts. I would imagine it would work fine but others here will know. I am not sure of the in/out travel of a G24 and if it will work well with a Norotos DD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My main concern with the G11 is the force to overcome while using it on a Crye cap. Plan on buying a TW LTP at a later date.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 12:02:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My main concern with the G11 is the force to overcome while using it on a Crye cap. Plan on buying a TW LTP at a later date.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the nightcap get a AKA2, TATM or a G24 IMHO. The push button works with anything while the FTO mount is a PITA on a nightcap. You get used to the push button and can do it almost just as fast as a FTO mount IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 1:47:56 AM EDT
[#33]
IMHO, the Wilcox G11 was the best possible option...that could have come out of the limitations placed on it by the Army's request.

Something to think about WRT using the standard USGI J-Arm in conjunction with really any mount though, is that the instability is not only introduced at the bayonet interface, but also the rotating arm itself, which is not fixed by the G11 or RHNO II.

The fact that the Norotos DDA eliminates this issue entirely is among one of its major advantages in my opinion.  

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of force-to-overcome mounts for any purpose, and don't find them particularly faster or easy to use - but for Nightcap use, just based on others' feedback, I would definitely not want to have an FTO mount.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
IMHO, the Wilcox G11 was the best possible option...that could have come out of the limitations placed on it by the Army's request.

Something to think about WRT using the standard USGI J-Arm in conjunction with really any mount though, is that the instability is not only introduced at the bayonet interface, but also the rotating arm itself, which is not fixed by the G11 or RHNO II.

The fact that the Norotos DDA eliminates this issue entirely is among one of its major advantages in my opinion.  

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of force-to-overcome mounts for any purpose, and don't find them particularly faster or easy to use - but for Nightcap use, just based on others' feedback, I would definitely not want to have an FTO mount.  

~Augee
View Quote

Agreed,
The only FTO mount I've ever used is the USGI mount. But I always felt it contributed to excessive movement of the helmet. Everytime you flip it up it moves the helmet so you have to readjust the whole thing when you flip it back down.

My push-button AKA2 always returns to the same spot. Unfortunately it seems you nearly double the price if you want a push-button mount instead of FTO.

I'll add I'm starting to like the idea of the new Norotos Lo-Pro. I'd like something a little more compact than the AKA2.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Agreed,
The only FTO mount I've ever used is the USGI mount. But I always felt it contributed to excessive movement of the helmet. Everytime you flip it up it moves the helmet so you have to readjust the whole thing when you flip it back down.

My push-button AKA2 always returns to the same spot. Unfortunately it seems you nearly double the price if you want a push-button mount instead of FTO.

I'll add I'm starting to like the idea of the new Norotos Lo-Pro. I'd like something a little more compact than the AKA2.
View Quote

The L4 G24 is pricey, but what can I say - I love it.  

Not that there's not room for improvement (tiny tilt adjustment lever ) - but honestly, I wonder if a paradigm shift in the entire way NODs are mounted to the head might be in order -

A lot of the stowed bulk of the NOD is the armature itself and all of the interface, adjustment, etc. - and it's also a pretty expensive component to get a "good one" that ends up often being a "hidden cost" in putting together an NV setup, along the lines of, if you don't get one initially, chances are, after spending ~$3,000 of your own money on an NVD, eventually you're going to end up that a more effective mounting solution than a USGI Rhino and J-Arm may be worthwhile.  

I wonder what could be done by revamping the entire mounting interface completely - that is to say to explain it better - something akin to an ANVIS hybrid type setup -

The more I think about it, I'm not sure why you couldn't build the device itself to have built in eye-relief, tilt, and IPD/handed adjustments - something a la a souped up AN/PVS-18 - you could build the monocular housing with an optical pod that rotates fully through 180 degrees, so you could set which side to mount the monocular on, and the appropriate distance from center-line.  

The whole thing, then, instead of having a dovetail or ball-detent socket could snap and lock into a horizontal pivot on a low-profile "jumpable" mount with rounded edges and everything, that had only elevation adjustment built in that would stay on the helmet full-time.  The NOD could then be stowed, I would think, extremely low profile, almost flat to the helmet as needed, reducing both vertical and horizontal profile and making for better weight distribution without having to have the armature itself that needed to be stowed, and cantilevered away from the helmet.  

Meanwhile - you'd probably add some cost on the front end to the device itself having to add in the price and complexity of the integrated mount and adjustments, but you wouldn't need to spend an additional $500 after purchasing the device to get a mount, and then another $100 for the shroud (though this would probably require you to buy a slightly more expensive shroud, but even so, if what I'm thinking in my head makes sense, it shouldn't have to be too much more expensive).

Not to mention that in conjunction with a modular system like the AB Night Vision MOD-3's optical pod concept, you could keep buy the interface parts "a la carte" if you so desired, and/or stick with any of the legacy device mounting options throughout the spectrum of cost - and with a little more finessing, you could add in external power supply connections as well for both binoculars and monoculars.  

::shrug::

More pipe dreams.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Kinda sounds like N-Vision's NVPR
http://soldiersystems.net/2012/05/23/sofic-n-vision-optics/

ETA: I'd still like to see a PVS-31-esque version of the MOD3 that could be run as a monocular too, moving all the battery weight to the rear. I'm really becoming weight/balance conscious and I'd prefer to have an external battery pack instead of needing counterweights, even with a monocular.
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#37]

That is very... interesting,   I had not seen that before -

What I'm thinking of would be quite a bit simpler than that, though - maybe I'll sketch a little mock-up and throw it up later.

Would still look, at a glance, like a "conventional" NVG setup, it would just "suck" the device closer in to the head when stowed, and perhaps better distribute the cost burden of a "full service" setup.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 2/3/2015 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

~Augee
View Quote

I canceled my order for the Wilcox G11 and replaced it with the G24 now my question is do I get the Wilcox j arm with dovetail interface, or the Norton DDA?
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I canceled my order for the Wilcox G11 and replaced it with the G24 now my question is do I get the Wilcox j arm with dovetail interface, or the Norton DDA?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

Goin with the Wilcox arm unless someone tells me otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

'

The Wilcox will work great and is designed for the mount, I like the DD but not sure if everything plays nice with a G24. Both are great and I would stick with the Wilcox to play it safe, My DD works perfect on my Norotos scope, The TNVC Industry page can get some lightning fast answers from some smart dudes in this area. Ask for Chip, Eric or Martin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top