Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2015 3:25:20 PM EDT
Hi guys, and idea on what this is?  Labeled "Steiner" no obvious model numbers, uses AA batteries, and made in Germany-putting that all together I imagine it was made in 1990's.  Have not been able to physically inspect it yet.  So does it use commercially available components?  Looks decent, maybe a Gen 1 with cascading tubes, or a Gen 2.  Who knows?

Thanks,

ETA-photo deleted.  See thread below for 'mo better pics.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you crack it open? I'll bet the optic on the thing are bonkers good.

Would be interesting to see if it'll take a 10160 tube.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I will, when the seller responds.

I may be able to pick it up for a stupid good price, hopefully it powers up.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Gen2 most likely. Looks too short to be a gen1 cascade.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Ill let you all in on this "project" if the seller ever responds.  Scale wise, looks pretty long/big so I am thinking maybe early Gen 2 with a whole lotta of glass.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Score!  Pics to follow, tonight.   Going to play with it in the dark.  Mechanically,  heavyweight class, and not a military   grade setup.  More of a commercial and surveillance grade.  Eyepiece and objective lens are huge and great quality.   Image tube is probably 25mm or larger.  No obvious physical damage.  

ETA-HOLY ****!

It works.

This may be the perfect tripod mounted static observation device.  Def gen 2.  100% Kraut optics.

Very little static (s/n?)  No artifacts or tube defects..  Glass is immaculate and cleaned right up with a little Zeiss Vision love.

The zoom lens is removable!  

This setup is not readily "infantry" worthy, but it is modular and robust.  Needs a mini tripod, and when I took it inside a completely blacked out warehouse with a Surefire IR LED light, the place was completely illuminated.  Just awesome.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Probably tougher than you think.  I have a pair of steiner binoc's and they are stupid durable even though they look and feel like fischer-price (fero d12's)
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks very, very much like the Varo Nocturn. It is probably an AN/PVS-4 tube with what looks like the eyepiece from a TVS-4 or 5 (or similar) for viewing with both eyes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Given the screw in lens and a very QD eye piece, I suspect  that it is best suited for stationary use.  The wide eye piece has terrific eye relief.  More of a viewing screen.  Probably great for reducing eye strain, but not super discreet if you are in a surveillance mode.  Waiting for some real darkness to set in.  Won't lie gents...this thing is cool.  I'm already liking it more than my Thermal Eye.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#9]
The tube face is huge, and there is no flaws on the (phosphor?) film.  There is some handling wear and storage prangs externally.   Guts and glass...perfect.  It maybe missing a knob on the side of the grip, however it is unlabeled.  Without measuring the exposed portion of the tube it appears bigger than a PVS4.  I'll have to measure.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#10]
If its german from that era I'm gonna guess its a pretty good unit, even if it is old by today's standards.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Yea, I'm wondering if it had a manual gain control knob.   Congrats on the find!  Afraid to ask how much you got it for.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:28:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Pics, because this is not a GD safe thread...

Potato shot, caffeine and additional IR illum on a dark green belt, minimal starlight.  Stairs are 25 yards out for reference.

Same, no extra IR.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:36:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Interestingly enough, to the naked eye, there is no green reflection of the observers face.  That eye piece diffuses the emitted image VERY well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:01:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Very nice, you do have manual gain control.   A little edge brightness on the tube, but still very nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top