Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2015 5:40:58 PM EDT
Among several other Horta hand-me-downs, I picked up a UTM-X. After using it for a couple weeks, I've concluded that the UTM is an absolute beast and that dual helmet-mounted thermals would be the ultimate setup for me. I still love traditional image intensification and believe that it will remain useful for quite sometime, but I think that we've reached a point where thermal is so good that it has surpassed I2 for most applications (at least mine anyway).

I went hog hunting last Sunday with a buddy of mine and I ended up flipping up my filmless Anvis 9's and using the UTM for navigation and spotting while riding around on a 4-wheeler. The conditions were really dark and my 9's were struggling, but the view through the UTM was like daylight. I'm really excited to try some of the newer BAE sensor based consumer models like the IR patrol to see how they stack up against the UTM. If they come anywhere close they seem like a superb option for the consumer market.

And what is a thread without pictures of course:

Spotted an owl in my backyard last night with the thermal:

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Repeat after me: "TheHorta is *always* right... even when he's not."

ETA: Awesome photos, BTW. You have mad Asian skills.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Repeat after me: "TheHorta is *always* right... even when he's not."

ETA: Awesome photos, BTW. You have mad Asian skills.
View Quote

Dang. You really must have some software that alerts you every time anyone on the internet mentions your name. Probably a double alert if "Horta" and "Right" are mentioned in the same sentence.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Dat glass!  Congratulations!

I think you can see the owl's droppings in the one photo directly below him lol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dat glass!  Congratulations!

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7386/16195798390_9df74f70dd_z.jpg
I think you can see the owl's droppings in the one photo directly below him lol.
View Quote

Good eye! Yes, he was crapping all over my yard.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you have an owl problem.

http://i.imgur.com/0rdtyTO.webm
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Rich, did you guys played with Night Vision at SHOT? I mean, you and Horta shared hotel room, isn't that right?

G.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rich, did you guys played with Night Vision at SHOT? I mean, you and Horta shared hotel room, isn't that right?

G.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

G.

We played with something at night. I'm into Asian.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

G.
View Quote

While that's technically true, it was only because the Horta couldn't afford to pay for his own room.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

While that's technically true, it was only because the Horta couldn't afford to pay for his own room.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

G.

My welfare check didn't arrive in time, and the strippers took the rest.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

G.

I guess that explains the glitter
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Were you guys there for the Shot Show Optics or the AVN Awards Optics or both???
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Were you guys there for the Shot Show Optics or the AVN Awards Optics or both???
View Quote

I had to look that up on Wikipedia so I guess I'm safe, but at least now we know how Skypup spent his time in Vegas
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Great review but it needs either more yoga pants OR more "hot" dudes to be complete.

....that reminds me "fake boobs remind me of my Mom".......(Undisclosed Arfcommer)

Hahahahahahahaha!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#15]
So how does one go about obtaining a UTM?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm just dying to get someone localish that has one to stack up against my LWTS.  For features I think the UTM has the upper hand (and that really takes something), I'm talking about image quality.  If any of you UTM owners find yourselves on the gulf coast of FL, shoot me an email or IM.  The image coming out of that thing is absolutely phenomenal.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Would you please do me a favor and post a nice outdoor pic taken at 0.5X digital preferably with some animals in it (NOT the Horta), I really would like to see what the FOV looks like as that is the only other thermal weapon scope I am aware of that presents such a WFOV like my FLIR T-70's.

I don't really give a shit about the comparative image quality, I can shoot anything that shows up in the viewer without a problem, what I want to see is WFOV!
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Great review but it needs either more yoga pants OR more "hot" dudes to be complete.

....that reminds me "fake boobs remind me of my Mom".......(Undisclosed Arfcommer)

Hahahahahahahaha!
View Quote

I was going to leave that portion of the review up to you since you have done more field research in this area than anyone I have ever met.

Lol, that unnamed member may not have stayed long, but he sure knew how to leave an impression.

Quoted:
View Quote

As far as I know, the only way is to befriend a redneck from Alabama and then get in line behind a rapidly increasing number of people
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

As far as I know, the only way is to befriend a redneck from Alabama and then get in line behind a rapidly increasing number of people
View Quote

If that doesn't work, treat him to a bromantic week in Vegas.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was going to leave that portion of the review up to you since you have done more field research in this area than anyone I have ever met.

Lol, that unnamed member may not have stayed long, but he sure knew how to leave an impression.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahahahahahahaha!

Quoted:

Research.....Yeah......that's what we'll call it..........
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#21]

bromantic
View Quote

Damn you guys are funny sometimes.

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

What? Wasn't it clear? You rent a room in a hotel with TheHorta and......  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait I spent the night with Horta TWICE and I don't have a UTM. What did I do wrong?!

I must be easy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#24]
LMAO... welfare checks...  strippers...  right...

G.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:28:02 PM EDT
[#25]
L
Quoted:
I'm just dying to get someone localish that has one to stack up against my LWTS.  For features I think the UTM has the upper hand (and that really takes something), I'm talking about image quality.  If any of you UTM owners find yourselves on the gulf coast of FL, shoot me an email or IM.  The image coming out of that thing is absolutely phenomenal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm pretty far from Florida, but if you're ever in Texas hit me up! I've been wanting to check out the LWTS for a while now. I got to play with one for a couple minutes at Shot Show but it doesn't really count until you spill some pig blood with it. From what I saw though it was pretty damn nice.

Quoted:
Would you please do me a favor and post a nice outdoor pic taken at 0.5X digital preferably with some animals in it (NOT the Horta), I really would like to see what the FOV looks like as that is the only other thermal weapon scope I am aware of that presents such a WFOV like my FLIR T-70's.

I don't really give a shit about the comparative image quality, I can shoot anything that shows up in the viewer without a problem, what I want to see is WFOV!

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, the UTM doesn't have a 0.5x setting. Here's an outdoor picture with some deer at the native magnification if that helps:
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:44:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I need one now.

F$*)$ you guys.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:50:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Horta, you like pretty red heads?

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#28]
That UTM thermal is awesome really nice piece Rich!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:19:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Dual tubes for a helmet setup looks like it would be heavy as hell?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I totally dig redheads, but carpet has to match the drapes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dual tubes for a helmet setup looks like it would be heavy as hell?
View Quote

With dual UTM's, yes it would. I might just have to deal with it for the performance. If I can get acceptable performance out of an Odin, MTM or something similar I might decide to go that route.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:39:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You told me I was sexy. I am plump and have grey hair ! I am still sexy under thermal gear.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:42:34 AM EDT
[#33]
I can see the heat coming from this thread, WITHOUT A THERMAL IMAGER!  

G.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:17:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I need one now.

F$*)$ you guys.
View Quote

Yeah I am right here too!

Per your avatar: I like the square knot. I have a matching one, silver and all
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:26:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What about hardwood floors?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Such sweet photos!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hardwood floor took me a second.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Great photos, I like the I2 photos as well, I just keep laughing about that owl, he's so small, yet looks so pissed, he reminds me of the ones in Futurama.   What kind is it?  I haven't seen anything that small in my night hiking adventures.   We usually get these guys, I've seen a few white barn owls, and they can carry off a Chihuahua or cat so it's a bit intimidating to get close to them when I see them..

Both images are a Barred Owl.

Great Horned Owl, they are Huge if you see them!  And yea, I've seen crows and ravens hassle them, and every other flying thing at one time or another.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Great photos, I like the I2 photos as well, I just keep laughing about that owl, he's so small, yet looks so pissed, he reminds me of the ones in Futurama.   What kind is it?  I haven't seen anything that small in my night hiking adventures.   We usually get these guys, I've seen a few white barn owls, and they can carry off a Chihuahua or cat so it's a bit intimidating to get close to them when I see them..

Both images are a Barred Owl.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/10/28/article-0-15B9AE7E000005DC-17_634x949.jpg

http://owling.com/barred-owl2.JPG

Great Horned Owl, they are Huge if you see them!  And yea, I've seen crows and ravens hassle them, and every other flying thing at one time or another.
http://www.birdsasart.com/248/E3884809F850447AB9CEF16939B50216_ArthurMorris09.jpg
View Quote

Hahaha. Owls are scary mystical creatures. Their stare is always so intense. I don't know what type of owl it is, but he's probably thinking:

My buddy, from the hog hunting pics in the original post, sent me this picture of what an owl did to his hunting blind:

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#40]
My buddy, from the hog hunting pics in the original post, sent me this picture of what an owl did to his hunting blind:
View Quote

Yep. Every year I deal with the same shit " literally" at the lease in south texas. They will knock your windows out of your blind and make your blind a big shit hole!  The worst is when you clean it and your in it during deer season and one tries to come back in your blind before day light !  Talk about waking you up!! Lmao
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Yep. Every year I deal with the same shit " literally" at the lease in south texas. They will knock your windows out of your blind and make your blind a big shit hole!  The worst is when you clean it, and your in it during deer season then one tries to come back in your blind before day light !  Talk about waking you up!! Lmao
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Okay, that's epic, and funny how you arranged the photos .  That must be every kill it made for the past 6 months, including bonus hairballs.

I had no idea you guys had that kind of trouble from owls, wow!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#43]
They have crashed my FoxPro E-caller at night more than once and if I am using an electronic decoy during the day it is mostly toast.

I probably have 7-8 Great Horned Owls that patrol around the house at night, if you listen to when they do light up a hootenanny, it is almost always a good time to shoot a coyote....
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You told me I was sexy. I am plump and have grey hair ! I am still sexy under thermal gear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a handsome devil. I'd do you...

wait... what?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#45]
They are so tasty, and totally worth going to prison for!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice pics Rich, these are hilarious; but.... so, if the Owl invented night vision, what about the snake which invented thermal vision (from 5µm to 30µm)?

G.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Hahahahahahahaha!
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Awesome Photos!
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Who?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who?

lol, owls.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top